The Official PS4 Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rumor I read was November 26th.
Oh god, I hope not! That's 2 days before Thanksgiving and I always travel that week. What a mess that would be especially for people that ordered online that wont get it bc the USPS and shipping companies are closed the end of that weekend. Like if you don't get it that Wednesday, than you wont get your system till at least the following Monday

At least DCUO and Planetside 2 will be free to download and play on day 1. I'll buy Battlefield 4 at launch.

these are the new games they gave us this month

8975999184_8566aca932_z.jpg

It most definetly is worth it! Not only the free games but also the discounts on PSN content. Especially if you tend to buy DLC and PSN games, you can save anywhere from 20-75% depending on the sale. Really the only downside is that you have to have a large HDD I order to take advantage of all the great offers they provide. I hope Sony allows us to store and load games off an external for the PS4.
All that in one month?! Wow, I'd probably stop buying games and just play all the free stuff every month lol.

All that in one month?! Wow, I'd probably stop buying games and just play all the free stuff every month lol.

I think they added some extra goodness this month due to E3, but you probably could just live off the free games every month.

I don't know how it works with a controller, but Machinarium is great.

I think they added some extra goodness this month due to E3, but you probably could just live off the free games every month.
Even 2 decently sized games a month would keep me busy. It's an amazing deal!

Do these still count as sales for those games? And do the publishers of the free games benefit? Would Sony have to pay them to release their games for free?

Even 2 decently sized games a month would keep me busy. It's an amazing deal!

Do these still count as sales for those games? And do the publishers of the free games benefit? Would Sony have to pay them to release their games for free?
Not exactly sure on the specifics but Sony makes arrangements with the different publishers. Sometimes publishers will put their games free on there to promote an upcoming title. For example Borderlands and Bioshock 2 were Plus titles just before Borderlands 2 and Infinite dropped. Capcom had RE 1-3 & 5 free just before RE 4 and CV HD dropped. Gets people talking about our title and if they havent played a previous entry, it gives them that chance which makes them more likely to try out the new game.

As far as sales counts, we wouldnt know as we dont get figures on digital releases. The most is a monthly list ranking most downloaded PSN games

Not exactly sure on the specifics but Sony makes arrangements with the different publishers. Sometimes publishers will put their games free on there to promote an upcoming title. For example Borderlands and Bioshock 2 were Plus titles just before Borderlands 2 and Infinite dropped. Capcom had RE 1-3 & 5 free just before RE 4 and CV HD dropped. Gets people talking about our title and if they havent played a previous entry, it gives them that chance which makes them more likely to try out the new game.

As far as sales counts, we wouldnt know as we dont get figures on digital releases. The most is a monthly list ranking most downloaded PSN games
Makes sense.

For anyone behind on their games this is an amazing free way of catching up on tonnes of great games. I like having a few of the best current games at all times but beyond that am happy just working on my backlog over the last few years so it would suit me very well.

Extra goodness? What is the selection typically like?

The free games for May were Sleeping Dogs (PS3), Pinball Arcade (PS3+Vita), Knytt Undergound (PS3+Vita), and BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (Vita).

Sony still needs to explain its digital download policies on the PS4.

When the PS3 launched, you could share 1 account across 5 PS3 devices but it was later whittled down to 2 PS3 devices (probably publisher complaints).

Sony details PS4 PlayStation Plus changes

Auto-updates no longer behind paywall, PS4 social features free, Sony confirms. "We're trying to be as balanced and as fair as we possibly can."

Sony has detailed some of the changes due to be implemented to PlayStation Plus with the arrival of PlayStation 4, telling VideoGamer.com that both auto-updates and the "social features of PS4" will not require a PlayStation Plus subscription to access.

Catch-up TV and online movie services will continue to be free to all PS4 users, although an additional fee may be required to access back-catalogue PS3 titles once the Gaikai streaming service is introduced next year.

A PlayStation Plus account will also be required to access PS4's online multiplayer functionality – something Sony says will allow it to "invest significantly" in PlayStation Network to help lower downtimes and improve its performance.

"It is time to charge, but it is time to charge and still continue to deliver phenomenal value," SCEE UK & Ireland MD Fergal Gara told VideoGamer.com during E3.

"A PlayStation Plus subscriber for PlayStation 4 comes away with a hell of a lot. First of all, the subscription applies across all three platforms [PS4, PS3 & PS Vita], so if you have the three platforms then you have an instant game collection on all three. So that's hugely powerful in its own right. But it is true to say that the online multiplayer element for PS4, you do require the subscription in order to [make use] of that.

"If you choose not to subscribe we are still gating relatively little in many senses, so access to online catch-up TV and online movie services sit outside of the gate, for example. The social features of PS4 and PS4 games sit out of the subscription service... things like auto-updates on PS4 sit outside of PlayStation Plus, so we're trying to be as balanced and as fair as we possibly can. If you choose to pay the subscription, yes, you get one important element of modern-day gameplay, but you also get fantastic value in games, including the PlayStation Plus Edition of DriveClub."

Auto-update functionality had previously only been available to PS Plus subscribers on PS3, and though it isn't yet clear what Gara means by PS4's "social features", it's possible he could be referring to the console's broadcasting and video upload features.

The service seems relatively more open than Microsoft's Xbox LIVE service, too, which blocks users from accessing services like Netflix and 4OD unless they're an Xbox LIVE Gold subscriber.

Whether PlayStation Plus users will be required to pay an additional fee for access to PS3 title streaming through Gaikai, however, is still undecided.

"In short, we haven't decided," said Gara when asked whether the firm plans to introduce additional PlayStation Plus tiers to accommodate backwards-compatibility streaming. "The Gaikai developments are exciting. The Remote Play feature which we're particularly excited about not just benefits PS4 but PS Vita - that uses some Gaikai technology.

"But secondly, the full cloud gaming service comes a bit later – we announced that 2014 will start to see that introduced for PS3 titles in the US, and we'll start to see a gradual increase in consoles, titles, devices and countries involved as we go forward, so there is a plan there to bring the PlayStation experience to more devices out of the cloud using the Gaikai that will broaden over time.

"Will that be part of PlayStation Plus? I genuinely don't know. Will that require some other, different charging mechanism? Perhaps. We just haven't sat down to answer that question yet."

PlayStation 4 launches worldwide this Christmas.

Source

Sony still needs to explain its digital download policies on the PS4.

When the PS3 launched, you could share 1 account across 5 PS3 devices but it was later whittled down to 2 PS3 devices (probably publisher complaints).

And because people were exploiting it. 5 friends sharing 1 parent account to buy all their games is kind of shady.

A PlayStation Plus subscriber for PlayStation 4 comes away with a hell of a lot. First of all, the subscription applies across all three platforms [PS4, PS3 & PS Vita], so if you have the three platforms then you have an instant game collection on all three.

I was wondering if games were shared like that. That... make the Vita more attractive. I'm not big on portables but I kind of want one.

I just thought of something, are in the UK? For Plus there is totally different free games for UK members I think. I've been jealous before when they got Arkham City and Kingdoms of Amalur for free, among other things.

I just thought of something, are in the UK? For Plus there is totally different free games for UK members I think. I've been jealous before when they got Arkham City and Kingdoms of Amalur for free, among other things.
Yes. Oh, wonder why that is.

I've never subscribed to Plus before though, just used PS3 for exlcusives.

Over the past few months, the UK had gotten a much better selection of games than US. People would complain about it in the official PS blog. Recently they started to step it up and offered Sleeping Dogs last month, Spec Ops before that and we got a bunch if great ones this month. Hopefully they can continue that momentum. You guys get Rayman Legends. Hope that makes it to the US program

has Sony said anything about internet browsing on PS4?

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-15281-E3-2013--Insomniac-Explains-Why-Sunset-Overdrive-is-an-Xbox-One-Exclusive.html

E3 2013: Insomniac Explains Why Sunset Overdrive is an Xbox One Exclusive

However, despite this Price says Insomniac hasn’t turned its back on Sony.
"While we are excited about partnering with Microsoft on Sunset Overdrive, that doesn't mean we can't or wouldn't make games with our longtime friends at Sony,” the CEO said. “That's the magic of being an independent developer."

As long as Insomniac returns to PS4 in glorious fashion I will forget their transgression...

"This Christmas" Hmmm.. wonder if that day after Black Friday rumor holds true...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"