Age of Ultron The Official Scarlet Witch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course.
I would be furious if any female had a costume like that.

Why?
Not saying Wanda *will* have that costume in particular, but what's the big deal about seeing a woman with a bare midriff, some cleavage and platform heels these days? It's not particularly uncommon in 2014 to see outfits like that worn in shopping malls, in dance clubs, in colleges, in high schools, just walking down the street, wherever.

And it's not like Wanda would be required to wear a conservative uniform for her "line of work." She's a villain, who eventually turns good and joins the Avengers. That doesn't require her to wear a SHIELD uniform (since the Avengers are 110% likely to no longer have a damn thing to do with SHIELD anymore in AOU), or even a HYDRA uniform. If Joss writes her as a sexy woman who's not afraid to rock cleavage and midriff, I don't think that's against Wanda's character at all.

I want something close to the classic costume. I want her to actually be dressed in scarlet, seeing as that's her code name. No damn leather jumpsuit! :cmad:

Something like what Jean Grey wore as the Phoenix in X3 would've been fine, but they've used that already now. I'd hope the costume is more imaginative than that anyway.

I figure that although there will be a deviation, if they follow true to form, the character will still be recognizable so fans will know who she is.

So she's definitely getting a cape and a hood. :up:

No. As others have mentioned in the other Avengers thread, that's likely her onset "secrecy cloak" to prevent anyone seeing what her costume actually looks like, similar to how the other actors wore something like that before.

Heavily doubt that.

Also like the mention of costumes, plural. :up:

avengers___age_of_ultron__scarlet_witch_by_silentarmageddon-d75mf2c.jpg

Those boots are not conducive to an adventuring lifestyle.

Heavily doubt that.

Also like the mention of costumes, plural. :up:

Why would she say then:

“We’ve done some costume stuff, yeah! My favourite piece is my secrecy cloak that prevents anyone from seeing what I’m wearing. There’s a hood, and a robe – it protects the image

What's the point of that as part of her actual costume? In the context of the film, who of the other characters cares what she is wearing? What is the need for protecting her image?

This sounds more like this is to prevent unwanted photographers from catching a glimpse of the costume before they are ready to debut it properly.

And since others have worn such things (eg Anne Hathaway in TDKR) or others for The Avengers, then it fits in with that.

It's not like a secrecy cloak that prevents people from seeing what she's wearing is any kind of power to boast about, given that people can do that very thing in real life with exactly the kind of "secrecy cloak" that actors do wear on set.

No. As others have mentioned in the other Avengers thread, that's likely her onset "secrecy cloak" to prevent anyone seeing what her costume actually looks like, similar to how the other actors wore something like that before.
Yeah, that's how I interpreted her comments as well; the cloak and hood being used on set to keep people from seeing what the actual costume looks like. Although I suppose its possible it could actually be part of her onscreen costume, though I'm inclined to doubt it.

Count me in with Dark Raven on the "secrecy cloak" issue. She's talking about the "bathrobe" or whatever that she wears over the costume while onset to throw off nosy fan-arazzi. All of Marvel's stars wear those to hide costume designs.

That being said, it's not out of the question that there *will* be some sort of hood and/or cloak; as long as it looks like modern fashion, and not somebody headed to DweebCon XIV.

Those boots are not conducive to an adventuring lifestyle.

It's not like the Scarlet Witch is a particularly active fighter. She's casting hexes not running and throwing kicks. :o

EDIT: I'm not advocating ridiculous stilettos for female superheroes but, if there was ever a character that it works for, it's SW. Same with Emma Frost. It fits both their personalities and neither are physical fighters. Personally, I'd be fine if the manip was the actual costume.

Last edited:
It's not like the Scarlet Witch is a particularly active fighter. She's casting hexes not running and throwing kicks. :o

EDIT: I'm not advocating ridiculous stilettos for female superheroes but, if there was ever a character that it works for, it's SW. Same with Emma Frost. It fits both their personalities and neither are physical fighters. Personally, I'd be fine if the manip was the actual costume.

I think she would still need to be able to flee or jump to evade attacks. Its not like shes all powerful and no one will come after her.

I think she would still need to be able to flee or jump to evade attacks. Its not like shes all powerful and no one will come after her.

she just clicks her heels together to teleport.

Why?
Not saying Wanda *will* have that costume in particular, but what's the big deal about seeing a woman with a bare midriff, some cleavage and platform heels these days? It's not particularly uncommon in 2014 to see outfits like that worn in shopping malls, in dance clubs, in colleges, in high schools, just walking down the street, wherever.

And it's not like Wanda would be required to wear a conservative uniform for her "line of work." She's a villain, who eventually turns good and joins the Avengers. That doesn't require her to wear a SHIELD uniform (since the Avengers are 110% likely to no longer have a damn thing to do with SHIELD anymore in AOU), or even a HYDRA uniform. If Joss writes her as a sexy woman who's not afraid to rock cleavage and midriff, I don't think that's against Wanda's character at all.
Are you really asking that question? It's like asking why a female soldier doesn't go into the field in a bikini. Common sense.

I didn't see if someone posted this, but I love this translation… minus the "horns" in the back LOL! I could see her headpiece modified to harken to the comics.

elizabeth-olsen-scarlet-witch-uncanny-avengers.jpg

ETA: I don't know who made this, I found it on a Google image search for Wanda's Uncanny Avengers costume. I think it's pretty brilliant!

Eh, it looks like X3's Phoenix costume too much.

I don't think MCU Wanda is going to be particularly sexy. Whedon's first choice was 19 year old Saoirse Ronan. Plus, after all the dismissive comments regarding Black Widow's "leather" catsuit, I'm pretty sure they are going to go in a different direction for Wanda.

I saw some great fan art on tumblr that had Scarlet Witch in a sort of floaty dress. I really liked it. I hope the MCU costume involves something that can billow around her as she casts her spells.

Are you really asking that question? It's like asking why a female soldier doesn't go into the field in a bikini. Common sense.

1) Wanda's not a soldier.
2) 99% of the combat Wanda sees is from a distance. She's an energy projector, not a melee brawler.
3) Wanda uses her "hex" powers to manipulate probabilities but suddenly her costume is what's too unrealistic!?
4) This overwhelming forced political correctness in EVERY SINGLE AREA of comic-dom is starting to get really, really grating.

Look, Wanda's classic costume fits the character's personality and does not directly inhibit her combat abilities (as she almost never fights hand-to-hand).

No one's complaining that Thor spends half a movie with his shirt off. Stop looking for reasons to get offended.

Last edited:
I don't think MCU Wanda is going to be particularly sexy. Whedon's first choice was 19 year old Saoirse Ronan. Plus, after all the dismissive comments regarding Black Widow's "leather" catsuit, I'm pretty sure they are going to go in a different direction for Wanda.

I saw some great fan art on tumblr that had Scarlet Witch in a sort of floaty dress. I really liked it. I hope the MCU costume involves something that can billow around her as she casts her spells.

I don't think anyone is pushing for "stripper" Wanda, as she's been depicted by some artists. I just can't understand the decided push to make these characters un-sexy. When it comes to attire, Wanda's looks have fit her personality. Much like Emma Frost, the questionable outfits are an extension of the character. To change that to appease a tiny radical fan base is nuts. I'm not advocating a G-String by any means but you'd think some people want her in a baggy sweatshirt and pajamas. :dry:

NOTE: This post is not directed specifically at anyone on this board or elsewhere.

2) 99% of the combat Wanda sees is from a distance. She's an energy projector, not a melee brawler.
3) Wanda uses her "hex" powers to manipulate probabilities but suddenly her costume is what's too unrealistic!?
4) This overwhelming forced political correctness in EVERY SINGLE AREA of comic-dom is starting to get really, really grating.

Look, Wanda's classic costume fits the character's personality and does not directly inhibit her combat abilities (as she almost never fights hand-to-hand).

No one's complaining that Thor spends half a movie with his shirt off. Stop looking for reasons to get offended.

:up:

And when it comes right down to it, Classic 616 Wanda has one of the most conservative costumes in Marvel. It'd be one thing if it was just the corset (and some artists have done that "stripper" version of Wanda, as you say), but she's got a thick pink body stocking that covers up every inch of her skin except her face. Put a veil over that, and even The Taliban would approve of her outfit.

i'd have a hard time shooting someone wearing a bikini. it just seems wrong.

Well first of all, Thor DOESN'T spend "half the movie" with his shirt off. The hyperbole isn't helping your argument. Second, that's not Thor's SUPERHERO costume that he wears when fighting evil, so the comparison doesn't work. As for "political correctness" if wanting your female characters to wear costumes befitting a superhero that aren't designed PRIMARILY for sex appeal is PC, then I'll GLADLY admit to being PC. The fact that people try to use these strawman arguments to justify the ridiculously oversexualized costumes in comics that make female characters look more like strippers than superheroes, that's what's getting grating. Iron Man's outfit isn't designed primarily to be "sexy," or Thor's, or Cap's, and no one argues that they should be. It's ONLY when female heroes come into the picture that these arguments pop up. I'll tell you what, Wanda can wear that costume if Cap and Tony also spend the entire movie fighting crime in speedos, while Thor wears ass-less chaps. Then it'll be even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"