The Sentry

Tinderblast

Sidekick
Reaction score
Did any of you read the "Sentry" Marvel Knights mini-series and the assorted spinoffs (also collected into a trade paperback)? If so, what did you think of it?

I just got the TP in an amazon.com order today, and though I LOVED the idea - it left a really bad aftertaste when I was done. It felt like Sentry was both too perfect and too flat a character - none of his feelings or emotions really came through for me, and often, when he did cool stuff it was at the expense of other characters' competence. I always hate it when writers do that.

Comments?

I didn't. I knew about him being an alchoholic, and about the fake stunt that he was a stan lee creation, but beyond that, what was his deal? origin, powers, etc? did he die in the book? (can he still show up elsewhere? we haven't seen him since)

Its quite a good story and it was a clever publicity stunt.

taken from

http://www.sequart.com/marvels.htm

The Sentry, published in 2000 by Marvel's "Marvel Knights" pseudo-imprint, featured a Marvel Superman-archetypal-figure. The kicker was that he was the first (Silver Age) Marvel hero but that he had disappeared at some point and become forgotten. As a publicity stunt, Marvel got Wizard -- the best-selling comic magazine, one with an audience that skewed young and coverage that skewed toward super-heroes and the biggest comics publishers -- to print false (news) stories about how Stan Lee had actually created The Sentry in 1961 prior to his creation of the Fantastic Four, but that no one remembered it. Many bought the story, despite its suspiscious nature and that it was Wizard that broke the story.
In retrospect, this was an appauling situation: imagine a book publisher convincing The New York Times to go along with a fake story that an plan for a novel of Ernest Hemmingway's had been found and would be used in a new novel by another writer. Of course, Wizard is hardly The New York Times. But imagine a movie company convincing The Star, a tabloid, to print a false story about how an early Kubrick project, complete with storyboards, had been discovered and would soon be completed by another director. If this were revealed, it would (one hopes) rightly be scandalous. So the whole episode really served to illustrate what a ghetto the comic book industry in America (once a popular phenomenon) had become, which is, of course, why it is not covered by The New York Times despite that it is an art form.

My two penneth : like this article goes on to say it is a lot like Moores early Miracleman work (A Dream of Flying) originally published by Warrior magazine in the UK.

The new Sentry mini in my opinion is far superior, and about the best 616 Universe Marvel title around, if you haven't been buying it, check it when it is printed as a trade - could be a sleeper classic.

hey whirly, hows being banned going dude?? lol well we are missing you over on KMC..and of course the spam :D

Mr.Valentine said:
hey whirly, hows being banned going dude?? lol well we are missing you over on KMC..and of course the spam :D

Who is this Whirly you speak of? :confused: He sounds like a bad person and not a good person like me ;) :supes:

Thanks for the hello anyway :)

I loved the Sentry mini and one shots. I remember being curious about it when it first came out but never got around to getting them. But when I read them later, prior to his joining the Avengers, I was blew away. To this day it's one of my favorate stories. I liked how in the beginning they play it so you wonder if he's really a hero or just a crazy guy, then as the mystery begin to unfold, and Sentry's placed in the predicument of learning his history, though he himself on video warns to not uncover it or else, etc. It was just good.

While his powers were vague, I think the point of the story was moreso the mystery than what he can do.

edit - er. wait, this is one old thread, nevermind.

I will never understand why someone would look thrugh threads from two years ago, and them answer them as if the person had been waiting patiently FOR 2 YEARS.

Zaptoitnow said:
I will never understand why someone would look thrugh threads from two years ago, and them answer them as if the person had been waiting patiently FOR 2 YEARS.

Because my friend this thread is titled "Sentry" and it is about his old mini for Marvel Knights, but I expanded by discussing his new mini. I doubt the mods want duplicate threads about the same character even though the frame of reference is different. :) Glad I cleared that up for you. That Mr Valentine was far more polite to a new member. :)

:supes:

indeed, but im a new member too :) oh yeah these superherohype rif-raff being so impolite.. tut tut,

Mr.Valentine said:
indeed, but im a new member too :) oh yeah these superherohype rif-raff being so impolite.. tut tut,

:) You seem nice - Where do you think you know me from?

Whirlysplat said:
Because my friend this thread is titled "Sentry" and it is about his old mini for Marvel Knights, but I expanded by discussing his new mini. I doubt the mods want duplicate threads about the same character even though the frame of reference is different. :) Glad I cleared that up for you. That Mr Valentine was far more polite to a new member. :)

but there are more recent threads about the Sentry

Killermovies forums, i have the same name there as i do here..:( i obviously see i am not to popular or famour there then :( whereas you are

Elijya said:
but there are more recent threads about the Sentry

The search function did not reveal any but this one to me, so he should not shoot the poster for trying to have some etiquette now should he? Why the snotty post from that guy to take a pop at a new member? It seems stranger than resurrecting a thread so a new one isn't created in my opinon. :supes:

Mr.Valentine said:
Killermovies forums, i have the same name there as i do here..:( i obviously see i am not to popular or famour there then :( whereas you are

I think this person you speak of "Whirlysplat" cannot be that popular as he has been banned according to you. ;) I am sure your posts are excellent my friend. What was he banned for?

yes thats true, and seeing how fast someone replied it was obviously not in vain

Whirlysplat said:
I think this person you speak of "Whirlysplat" cannot be that popular as he has been banned according to you. ;) I am sure your posts are excellent my friend. What was he banned for?

supposedly trolling, or spamming which he does both :) but in a jovial manner, he wont be banned for too long and will be once again dishing out........

Spam

Whirlysplat said:
The search function did not reveal any but this one to me, so he should not shoot the poster for trying to have some etiquette now should he. Why the snotty post to take a pop at a new member? It seems stranger than resurrecting a thread so a new one isn't created in my opinon. :supes:
no one "shot the poster", he simply said he didn't understand why someone would bump something this old.

As I've mentioned, the search function is on the fritz currently, so if you plan on counting on it to find when a topic was most recently discussed, you'll find threads that are too old, and people will point it out, because that's just how people are.

Now then, are there any more points on the Sentry? or is this just going to be a complete tangent?

Mr.Valentine said:
supposedly trolling, or spamming which he does both :) but in a jovial manner, he wont be banned for too long and will be once again dishing out........

Spam

:) Sounds a nice guy - I suspect he has been perma banned for brinking from what you say ;)

Still he sounds like the kind of guy who might know a few proxies.

Elijya said:
no one "shot the poster", he simply said he didn't understand why someone would bump something this old.

As I've mentioned, the search function is on the fritz currently, so if you plan on counting on it to find when a topic was most recently discussed, you'll find threads that are too old, and people will point it out, because that's just how people are.

Now then, are there any more points on the Sentry? or is this just going to be a complete tangent?

- Well I think lots of points are salient about the Sentry.

Is the sentry void or is Sentry a creation of the void.?Is the entire Marvel Knights series a pure fantasy and about to be retconned? e.g. The Serum etc. seems a fantasy he "cooked" up, meaning the whole addiction might be. Only time will tell, the last time I collected my comics Rob Reynolds was in a padded cell.... We shall have to wait and see.

Permanetly?? oh boy, thats bad news, a fellow called scoobless told me that you would be back soon, but hey, proxies :D

Mr.Valentine said:
Permanetly?? oh boy, thats bad news, a fellow called scoobless told me that you would be back soon, but hey, proxies :D

I think this Scoobless probably inferred they have tried banning this "Whirlysplat" before and he whoever he is just comes on anyway.
I wouldn't actually bother if I was perma banned from somewhere.

oh, how wierd this sir whirlysplat i talk of used to have a superman sig, i geuss you leave that after every post? he used to say...hmm it was

:)keep the faith

stay whirly

Mr.Valentine said:
oh, how wierd this sir whirlysplat i talk of used to have a superman sig, i geuss you leave that after every post? he used to say...hmm it was

:)keep the faith

stay whirly

Strange indeed my friend :confused: who knows perhaps this guy will turn up at this other place again sometime.

Indeed, that would be good, and im sure he would be suprised once he finds out that there is a clone of him out there

Mr.Valentine said:
many clones it would seem...:)

Yes but you know what they say everyone has a doppleganger somewhere in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"