The Official Start/Release Date & Location Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Superman Returns didn't even open as well as alot of people were predicting and Pirates 2 didn't come out that weekend. Superman Returns was screwed before Pirates 2 even came out so I don't know how Pirates hurt it. If anything it would have hurt Pirates.

Pirates 2 being the reason that Returns didn't put up Spider-Man numbers is a myth fanboys tell to make themselves feel better about it's far lower than expected boxoffice numbers.

Gah! Jeez! Just reading this again makes me wanna barf in frustration at how dumb you are... Blech....

Uh we are talking about a film's boxoffice, there is no need to call me dumb, what are you 12 years old?

Anyway, SR did not open huge. Transformers 2 had a huge five day opening, Twilight: Eclipse had a huge five day opening, Spider-Man 2, had huge five day opening and one of the Harry Potter movies had a huge five day opening. Superman Returns was a disappointment from day one. It opened to decent enough numbers but not good enough at all, it didn't even hit 90mil in it's 5 and 1/3 opening week release. The fact that it was a Superman movie got it the decent/okay for a blockbuster five day start that it had but if the advertisements had actually worked the movie would have did atleast 110 in it's opening week and if it was so well recieved then it would have had better legs too.

It doesn't matter how much one loves or hates the film blaming Pirates 2 for it's low boxoffice is silly and has no bases in reality what-so-ever. Now I'm going to escape 2006arguements because I'm getting bored.

Gah! Jeez! Just reading this again makes me wanna barf in frustration at how dumb you are... Blech....

I'm giving you an on thread warning to knock off the insults, one and only as next time it will be an infraction. If you have a differing viewpoint make a counter pint post instead of resorting to that.

1) Even if The Hobbit started filming right now, right this second, they wouldn't be done by next winter. There's just no way. Remember, they are making two huge three hour movies at the same time. Its the Lord of the Rings strategy. Film them all at once. And then they'd still have all the VFX work to do. So I think Superman will be safe and sound next December.

2) Even if they were to come out at the same time and one of them had to move, Superman would be the one pushed out of December. The Hobbit is seen as a Christmastime movie. bad place, it was my Christmas tradition for four years in a row. Watch the movie one year, get the extended edition for Christmas the next year. Ah, good times...

With Superman, however, and the superhero movie genre in general, its seen as a summer type of movie. So if WB were forced to rethink their strategy, I'd think they'd get Superman into the summer slot.

3) Even if, after all that, they were forced to open within the same month time frame, so long as Superman is good it shouldn't really matter. "Oh, but Pirates..." No. Wrong. Sorry. People always say that. Pirates hurt Superman. No, says I. Pirates did not hurt Superman. Superman helped Pirates. The poor quality of Superman Returns meant that there wasn't any other quality entertainment out...until Pirates, with its wacky protagonist and huge action set pieces and gallons and gallons of spectacle appeared. Pirates was nothing but pure, nonstop summer entertainment for two and a half hours. So why does nobody ever look at it the other way? Couldn't it be that the dour and dull quality of Superman Returns allowed the more fun movie to do better than it would with a more exciting movie released next to it?

But what if they did both have lots of action and CGI and spectacle and what have you? Well, remember summer of 2007. Spider-Man 3. Pirates 3. Shrek 3. All released around the same time. And they are still the three highest grossing movies of that year. Despite their somewhat dubious quality and reputations, they proved that three big huge movies can co-exist within the same month.

So really, just think of it this way. If Superman is good it should be fine, no matter what competition it is up against.

The reason we're even talking about a new Superman movie is because of the lawsuits and court rulings. The reboot has to be released by the end of next year, at the latest or WB will lose the rights. If anything, it could conceivably move up to say summer or Thanksgiving 2012. But that's doubtful.

The Hobbit, on the other hand, is a month and a half away from the start of its 18 month shoot, after literally years worth of delays. Factor in them filming with 3D cameras and all the effects-work to be done. Reaching next Christmas is not physically doable. It feels like all these announcements of returning LOTR cast members is to soften the blow for fans that it's going to have to wait another year.

The logical move by WB's would be to just push The Hobbit Part 1 release date to Summer 2013.

Then Man Of Steel has the Dec 19th or 21st release date all to itself.

By releasing the Supes film then, it has a legit shot of having 3 #1 weekends in a row for the XMas Holiday and New Years break.

I'm giving you an on thread warning to knock off the insults, one and only as next time it will be an infraction. If you have a differing viewpoint make a counter pint post instead of resorting to that.

I'm still amazed that people will talk like that on forums, knowing that they can be suspended/banned. :doh:

I would be more worried about Lindsay Lohan in this movie then The Hobbit

Superman shouldn't worry about other films stealing it's thunder. You put out a good product people will go see the movie. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
1) Even if The Hobbit started filming right now, right this second, they wouldn't be done by next winter. There's just no way. Remember, they are making two huge three hour movies at the same time. Its the Lord of the Rings strategy. Film them all at once. And then they'd still have all the VFX work to do. So I think Superman will be safe and sound next December.

2) Even if they were to come out at the same time and one of them had to move, Superman would be the one pushed out of December. The Hobbit is seen as a Christmastime movie. bad place, it was my Christmas tradition for four years in a row. Watch the movie one year, get the extended edition for Christmas the next year. Ah, good times...

With Superman, however, and the superhero movie genre in general, its seen as a summer type of movie. So if WB were forced to rethink their strategy, I'd think they'd get Superman into the summer slot.

3) Even if, after all that, they were forced to open within the same month time frame, so long as Superman is good it shouldn't really matter. "Oh, but Pirates..." No. Wrong. Sorry. People always say that. Pirates hurt Superman. No, says I. Pirates did not hurt Superman. Superman helped Pirates. The poor quality of Superman Returns meant that there wasn't any other quality entertainment out...until Pirates, with its wacky protagonist and huge action set pieces and gallons and gallons of spectacle appeared. Pirates was nothing but pure, nonstop summer entertainment for two and a half hours. So why does nobody ever look at it the other way? Couldn't it be that the dour and dull quality of Superman Returns allowed the more fun movie to do better than it would with a more exciting movie released next to it?

But what if they did both have lots of action and CGI and spectacle and what have you? Well, remember summer of 2007. Spider-Man 3. Pirates 3. Shrek 3. All released around the same time. And they are still the three highest grossing movies of that year. Despite their somewhat dubious quality and reputations, they proved that three big huge movies can co-exist within the same month.

So really, just think of it this way. If Superman is good it should be fine, no matter what competition it is up against.

Agreed. It will be fine.....but the logical move for WB's since they don't have a set Summer tent pole for 2013 is to move Hobbit Part 1 to a June release date and then they can release Part 2 in December 2013.

Leave Man of Steel all by itself for the December Holiday and New Years break release dates and watch it kick butt for 3 weekends in a row.....at least!

Last edited:
Not directly related, but it occurred to me.

Although I don't think Paramount will allow this to happen (They need it too badly after losing The Avengers, and thus why they suddenly greenlit that G.I. Joe sequel), but if need be Star Trek 2 could go towards Christmas 2012 as opposed to at the very end of June that year. Where it would duke it out against Superman: The Man of Steel instead of The Amazing Spider-Man.

In both outcomes of the either/or case, Trek 2 would slaughter its competition.

Recently ZS stated that he was unsure if the film would make its Dec 2012 release date. Further evidence may be the lack of an actual date; with WB continuing to simply say "December".

That said, theyre awfully far along in the casting process to not being going for that date. Theyre supposably shooting in Illinois starting July, which would make winter 2012 right on schedule.

My question is...whats the hold up? WB have yet to announce the hobbit, which is also supposably December 2012 release. I find it odd they have yet to announce either...thoughts?

Supposedly owns Supposably.

Anyhoo,

I think just stating its out by Christmas is good enough for me :up:

I've posted many times that WB won't release SUpes and Hobbit in the same month ( X-mas 2012). And i've also said that Hobbit won''t be released in X-Mas 2012.
Now though i'll have to eat my words :
PJ's own words :
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=76341
However, while it's predicted that there may be over 10,000 screens capable of projecting THE HOBBIT at 48 fps by our release date in Dec, 2012, we don’t yet know what the reality will be.

Seems Hobbit is set for Dec 2012.
Supes won't be released Christmas 2012.

However WB could potentially release the movie in Nov 2012 seeing as their isn't any WB released in that month.

I think it will stay in x-mas. I don't see THE HOBBIT taking away any of Superman's potential viewers either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"