The Official Start/Release Date & Location Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who doesn’t go anywhere near a cinema around Christmas? I tend to be to occupied with other things, I assumed others would be the same.

People also forget that Superman: The Movie came out December 15, 1978 and did exceptionally well during that period.

Why are people questioning the film's Christmas 2012 slot? The LOTR trilogy, Avatar and Sherlock Holmes prove that you can have blockbuster films in the winter as well as the summer.

21st release would be a good way to spend the last day of the Mayan long count calaneder.

21st release would be a good way to spend the last day of the Mayan long count calaneder.

haha yeah, as long as Superman's released before the end of the world i'll be alright.

All about competition, kiddos, and right now Superman only has Snow White & the Huntsman. Something granted Universal is confident in, but still. The reboot will dominant next Christmas.

Unlike Spider-Man 2.0 (which I don't know anybody who cares about it and/or likes Andrew Garfield from those pictures) that'll get its ass kicked by Star Trek 2.

All about competition, kiddos, and right now Superman only has Snow White & the Huntsman. Something granted Universal is confident in, but still. The reboot will dominant next Christmas.

Unlike Spider-Man 2.0 (which I don't know anybody who cares it and/or likes Andrew Garfield from those pictures) that'll get its ass kicked by Star Trek 2.

No chance my friend, lol its still Spiderman after all don’t forget that.

December 2012 seems like a strange date to release Superman. Warner Brothers are also releasing The Hobbit in December of 2012 and I doubt they would have 2 of their biggest upcoming films competing against each other.

Unlike Spider-Man 2.0 (which I don't know anybody who cares about it and/or likes Andrew Garfield from those pictures) that'll get its ass kicked by Star Trek 2.

Exactly. WB's will be able to "corner the market" by releasing the Superman film Wednesday December 19th or Friday the 21st of 2012.

Basically the weekend before XMas.

The Superman film will be the MAIN attraction without a doubt with this release date, especially if WB's chooses to just push the release date of The Hobbit Part 1 to Summer 2013. Which they should do IMO.

By doing this, they would be setting the Man Of Steel film up for three solid and successful #1 Weekends in row at the Box Office due to school being out for Winter Holiday break for high school teens and college tweens. Plus adults usually take two weeks off as well for their winter vacation or end of the year Holiday break.

Potentially of course, the film could be #1 the weekend of the 21st, 28th and the 4th most likely.

Then momentum would simply keep building after that IF the film is any good that is. Plus the rewatch value will most likely be high.

:supes:

^ Close enough.

Let me put it this way. If this was hitting next Christmas, then they wouldn't be working around Martin Freeman's Sherlock schedule (They'd have merely gone elsewhere) and Sir Ian McKellen wouldn't be having such epic gaps to run off and do other **** over the next 18 months.

Legendary Pictures also plans on releasing Godzilla (untitled) in December 2012. I still dont understand why they would release two big franchise names in the same month to compete with themselves.

I wasn't questioning you, Jamie. :yay:

I don't really care since I'm not gonna see The Hobbit anyway.

I don't think Godzilla would stand a chance against Superman.

All Godzilla has is a unspecified 2012 release and a director - no story, screenwriter, etc. Not holding my breath expecting that next year.

No chance my friend, lol its still Spiderman after all don’t forget that.

Wedged between Star Trek 2 & Dark Knight Rises? Good luck Spidey.

I'm thinking either the 14th or the 19th. Big opening weekend followed by the holiday bumps.

I'm thinking either the 14th or the 19th. Big opening weekend followed by the holiday bumps.

Spiderman will win, of course I would want TDKR to take it but I just don’t see Spidey losing. Of course I might just be getting influenced by how Raimi Spidey used to clean up at the Box office.

Why the 19th? Granted, WB's released several films on Wednesday (SR, HP6, T4, et al) but the movies opening up on 12/14 and 12/21 don't pose a significant threat for the Superman movie since they're aimed at different people.

Unless WB's so confident they want both TDKR and Superman almost exactly 5 months apart...

Superman hitting Christmas has nothing to do with confidence or lack thereof. It has to be released by the end of the year at the latest or they'll lose their share of the rights.

The LOTR trilogy, Avatar and Sherlock Holmes prove that you can have blockbuster films in the winter as well as the summer.

People think that the most successful movies are always released in the summer. That's not true. In the last 30 years, these winter releases dominated the year:

Beverly Hills Cop (released on December 5)
Three Men and a Baby (released on November 25)
Rain Man (released on December 16)
Home Alone (released on November 16)
Aladdin (released on November 25)
Toy Story (released on November 22)
Titanic (released on December 19); highest grossing film ever for 12 years
The Grinch (released on November 17)
Harry Potter 1 (released on November 16)
LOTR 3 (released on December 17)
Avatar (released on December 18); currently the highest grossing film ever

Also, Gone with the Wind, Doctor Zhivago, The Exorcist (that's right), and Snow White, 4 of the top 10 highest grossing films of all-time (adjusted for inflation) were winter releases.

I agree, Spidey is going to have to build the fanbase back up again after Spidey 3 left a bad taste in people's mouths plus it has a other cast so it can't even play off of people's good memories of the franchise. I expect it to gross like 210 to 225mil total if people still give a s**t about 3D by the time it comes out. I expect Star Trek 2 to gross atleast as much as the first one did. (after Iron Man 2's disappointing numbers I'm not going to be so bold anymore)Unlike Iron Man 2, if Trek 2 is just as good/better I expect 280 to 310mil for it.

I perfer a Summer release date for Superman but I can see how it could thrive during the hollidays. It's going to have to do a great deal better than Holmes did domesticially though.

People think that the most successful movies are always released in the summer. That's not true. In the last 30 years, these winter releases dominated the year:

*snip*

Also, Gone with the Wind, Doctor Zhivago, The Exorcist (that's right), and Snow White, 4 of the top 10 highest grossing films of all-time (adjusted for inflation) were winter releases.

You have a point there. However, the earlier ones (from the 1980s up to mid-1990s) were mostly comedies or Disney films. It wasn't until Titanic came out that studios realized they could release big-budget fare in the winter. And even with the numerous successes with Cameron's last two films and franchise tentpoles like HP and Twilight during the winter, the studios still aren't staking out many prime winter releases for big-budget films.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"