The official SUPERMAN/BATMAN discussion thread

Pfft. The original poster got my hopes up. And for WHAT, I ask? NOTHING.

Personally i liked the idea,but the comic was plagued with horrible shipping schedules.So i stoped reading after the Supergirl arc.What happened from there?

Have there been any previews for #26? I stopped picking up this series after Public Enemies but I want to check out #26 for all the great writers and artists. I was wondering how much, or if at all, Bats and Supes are actually in it. I know there's suposed to be a Superman for All Seasons story, but besides that is it all about Robin and Superboy?

There was one preview page shown that had Batman in it. I'm sure Superman will make an appearence as well.

...sorry for being so late...

Arc 3: WITH A VENGEANCE

One thing is common in the DCU is the concept of the multiverse. It hasn't been new then and now (even with Infinite Crisis). This idea is interesting to see an alternate version of a character(s) in a world similar to them and us. Consider this a tie-in of sorts to Infinite Crisis.

In an alternate universe, a superhero group called the Maximums fight their own villians until Superman and Batman come in and end up killing one of the Maximum's members before they escape. Now with revenge on their brains; the group goes out and finds the real Superman & Batman, who don't know why the group is fighting them, and are then being taken and hunted as they pass through every of any parallel world that has their own version of the World's Finest. Plus; who's pulling the springs?

Previously, the ABSOLUTE POWER arc didn't have anything to do with the continunity of the DCU. I thought it was the same here, until the end of it. That end leads this storyline to be some kind of foreshadowing of Infinite Crisis and the future in 52 and OYL and beyond. Even Darkseid asks about his role in it, which there isn't. And thats true.

The best things was the alternate World's Finestes. We had the communist President Superman from Superman: Red Sun, the Terry McGinnis/Batman from Batman Beyond (NOTE: the issues made a mistake of Tim being the Beyond Batman, TPB will correct that), female versions of Superman & Batman as Superwoman & Batwoman in a world where women are the dominating class insyead of men (didn't the show Sliders have that?), and we also have Bizarro and also a connection to Bizarro World we have a Batzarro.

Plus, there are elements from the Silver Age in this as well. Maybe because the multiverse was introduced in the Silver Age. For example: we have SUPERGIRLS. Every incarnation, even the modern one of course. One of them is the Supergirl from the Silver Age. The first one. Also, a returning character from Batman's campy, goofier days: this series also has Bat-Mite. Was I pleased to see him? Not really, he is a classic character I can give you that but I'am not fond by him. I'am glad that he doesn't last that much.

Those were the good points. Now here is where I explain my low, dislike/bad points: I know this was the last story Loeb was gonna do and add that with his son's death I don't really wanna give anything bad about it but I'am a reviewer so....I kinda have to. The low point was the ending. THE ONLY LOW POINT AT ALL. I was expecting bigger and it was in a way but not extended I should say. The whole thing was explained and why it happened also, I can give you that, had a little tiem-travel gimmick, but I thought maybe a few pages more of action would've worked. But nothing that meant this was bad overall.

Overall; this was another exciting arc of Superman/Batman. I hate to see Loeb go as he was the genius that started the series to a good start but there is a reason, and we can't fight that.

RATING: 8/10

Up next: Sam's Story.

Yeah I just got back from the LCS. Picked up 2 copies of each cover.

lceman said:
Yeah I just got back from the LCS. Picked up 2 copies of each cover.

You bought four copies :eek:

I only bought one of each cover :o

Yeah, I thought about it and its the least that I can do. Jeph and all the guys who participated in this book have given me so many hours of enjoyment that one small thing I could do was to pick up a couple of this book. I am also going to participate in the auction that they are going to have for the pages within the book. All the artisits and writers have donated the pages to go up for auction with all proceeds going to the Sam Loeb Fund. Still picking up two copies are great. I feel that anyone who has enjoyed any of these creators past work should show there support and pick up at least 1 issue.

What an amazing comic. A fun filled, exciting story.

The auction for the artwork is going to raise an insane amount of money.

Every page was beautiful. With all the varying artists and writers one might expect the book to be disjointed, but it flowed nicely.

Amazing amazing amazing.

It's sad that Sam had to die to warrant such a spectacular book to be published.

This is one of those comics that I will never forget.

Sam is smiling down on us. June 1st is Sams day.

Im going to buy it on the weekend, hopefully there still some left.

It's in my box waiting for me. If they have the cover that isn't in there still on the shelf, I'll pick it up as well.

Got it too. Great fun, hilarious, sad as f**king hell story. :up:

Yeah... Those last few pages, "Sam's Story," are really kinda brutal.

'Cause I hadda fork out fer someone else's comics (paid back on Sat, no worries) I was only able to get th' one cover today. Got th' other one waitin' fer me next week.

I very pleased to say that this is the first issue of the series that I've really enjoyed in a long time, even if they misspelled Schott's name and kinda referred to character traits that he's never had before, but neither of those effected the plot or my enjoyment of the issue at all (at this point, I just can't help but notice that stuff in Superman's rogues) :up: :up:.

Question: for those of you who read the issue, which cover suits the story and is the cover to get?

can someone post some spoliers about this issue because I cant pick it up till wed.

Binker said:
Question: for those of you who read the issue, which cover suits the story and is the cover to get?

Both covers suit the story.

The one with both Superboy and Robin suits it because it is a flashback tale and Superboy is quite alive fighting alongside Robin.

The other cover with only Robin holding Superboys shirt works as well, because the first and last pages are of Robin remembering Superboy after his death.

And you want spoilers? Don't read ahead if you don't want to learn anything about the book.

The young Toyman goes missing, Superman and Batman send Superboy and Robin to check out what happend. They go, finding out that he was kidnapped by the adult Toyman. They proceed to go through a fun house type place filled with various robots. There is witty banter aplenty and this issue really makes you wish Superboy didn't bite the big one.

Sam's Story by Loeb and Sale is a tear jerker, also is the pin up of what the original cover for this issue was going to be when it was just Sam Loeb and Pat Lee.

Also for whoever complained about Rob Liefields page, get over it, also the dialogue on that page was written by Sam's twelve (I think thats right) year old sister.

It is a great book and kudos to the writers and artists who are donating their cut to the Sam Loeb College Scholarship Fund.

I wonder if there is a way to directly donate to the fund instead of buying more of the books?

Its on my pull list. I go to the comic ook sotre and they tell me they ran out so now ill have to wait for them to give me a copy whenever they get one.

Itw as really a great issue. good thing they pulled it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"