The official SUPERMAN/BATMAN discussion thread

It really was great. I almost teared up.
All of the art was stellar, too. Tim Sale's was the best, though. Something about him and Loeb that just... rocks.

I picked it up, good read, though some of the art was meh. Sam would've had a good career.:(

I'm really surprised that there isn't too much buzz about this book on here.

Sam Loeb's situation aside it was actually a really entertaining story and good character interaction between Robin and Superboy.

I agree with Purple Man. Even with all the different artists involved it didn't really hurt the story. Though the part that bothered me the most was when we saw Liefield's artwork. Just...meh. And Pat Lee, I'm not too crazy about either, that's probably because of his horrible work on Marvel Knights Spider-Man...but I don't know.

Regardless, this was worth the price and then some.

It's not a great issue, it feels weird and disjointed at times. Doesn't really flow... but that's really not the point. It's great to see all those creators come together to work on a book with this emotion behind it (and you can tell they did - even Leifeld put in the work of his life) and it is for a great cause.

Personally, I thought it flowed exceptionally well, considering the number of people who worked on it.

Sam Loeb actually proved that he can write better than some professionals who have been in the business for a while. :o

Spike_x1 said:
Personally, I thought it flowed exceptionally well, considering the number of people who worked on it.

Agreed. And considering the fact that the plotter of the story had cancer and was dead already.

SpideyInATree said:
Agreed. And considering the fact that the plotter of the story had cancer and was dead already.

That came off pretty bluntly.

Darthphere said:
That came off pretty bluntly.

You can't exactly make any plot changes or tighten things up when you're dead.

Picked up both covers today. I've yet to read it, but just flipping through the pages I can tell it's going to be emotional. There was still one copy left on the shelf, and I contemplated buying it just to give the cause more money, but I thought I'd let someone else who might enjoy the story pick it up. If it's still there next week, I'll get it and pass it on to a friend.

My only gripe is that they picked someone better than Ed McGuiness for the memorial scenes. Someone who would have fit better.

For the first page, I thought McGuinness worked great for all of the frames of Robin, but I'll agree with you about the last page. Not a big deal though, there's already enough emotion going on that we don't need to rely on the artist too much at all to convey it for us.

Dwarf lord said:
My only gripe is that they picked someone better than Ed McGuiness for the memorial scenes. Someone who would have fit better.

McGuiness is one of Loebs very good friends, and co-collaborator on Superman and Superman/Batman. It was Jephs call to have Ed on his pages.

SpideyInATree said:
Sam Loeb actually proved that he can write better than some professionals who have been in the business for a while. :o

Austen, Chuck
Hudlin, Reginald
Millar, Mark
Moench, Doug

etc.

Ben Urich said:
Austen, Chuck
Hudlin, Reginald
Millar, Mark
Moench, Doug

etc.

Yeah, Mark Millar is terrible.

No one read Ultimate X-Men, nobody reads the Ultimates and Civil War is only going to sell two copies, one will be bought by Millar the other by his mom.

Purple Man said:

No one read Ultimate X-Men, nobody reads the Ultimates and Civil War is only going to sell two copies, one will be bought by Millar the other by his mom.

Notice how you say "bought" is a fact that sales do not represent a book's quality.

Purple Man said:

His Ultimate X-Men was average at best (Vaughan is what gave that series spark), Ultimates thrives on shock value and solid artwork and the jury's still out on Civil War.
Also, he wrote Trouble.
****ing hack is what he is. :down

Ben Urich said:
His Ultimate X-Men was average at best (Vaughan is what gave that series spark), Ultimates thrives on shock value and solid artwork and the jury's still out on Civil War.
Also, he wrote Trouble.
****ing hack is what he is. :down

And Scottish too.:mad:

I read this book in the car before I left the comic shop.I wondered if this book was actually going to get me emotional, and I thought I had made it by the end of the actual story. Then I read the Loeb/Sale backup story, and...well...the drive home was accompanied by me sniffling like a woman.

I was so sad just thinking about the fact that this guy lost his 17 year old son, plus you could just feel the love for this kid pouring out of every page. When Robin is talking at the beginning and end, you know it's about Superboy but you really know that it's Jeph talking about Sam. And there were times like the Audrey Loeb/Liefeld page when I felt like that dialogue was taken from a conversation the two of them actually had. Great issue.

On another note...I'm a huge Millar fan. Yes, he did write Trouble, and that book was...pretty lame. But I loved Ultimate X-Men and especially Ultimates! Chosen, Superman: Red Son...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but I love the guy. Mostly. Oh!! His ongoing Ultimate Fantastic Four run is some of the best stuff ever done in the Ult. U. You can't deny that introducing Ultimate Zombies, a badass Namor, making the Skrulls cool, and writing three pages of Ult. Doom that is better than 6 issues of Ellis's stuff isn't classic. Red Son has one of my favorite endings of all time. I can go on and on.

Vic Von Doom said:
On another note...I'm a huge Millar fan. Yes, he did write Trouble, and that book was...pretty lame. But I loved Ultimate X-Men and especially Ultimates! Chosen, Superman: Red Son...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but I love the guy. Mostly. Oh!! His ongoing Ultimate Fantastic Four run is some of the best stuff ever done in the Ult. U. You can't deny that introducing Ultimate Zombies, a badass Namor, making the Skrulls cool, and writing three pages of Ult. Doom that is better than 6 issues of Ellis's stuff isn't classic. Red Son has one of my favorite endings of all time. I can go on and on.

I agree with you about Millar. His Ultimate Fantastic Four run is unbelievable. Greg Land is REALLY helping it with the artwork...but that aside. I dig Millar's style and the only thing I really didn't like by him was his Marvel Knights Spider-Man run. A lot of build up to...basically...nothing.

Personally, people, in my opinion, don't enjoy Millar's writing because they seem to be making it personal rather than what the stories are about. Some fans don't like him because he's pretty political. I've heard many say how they hate the way he writes Ultimate Captain America...and I think it's fantastic. Some people just have a different view.

Lets not clog this thread with Millar hate, lets stick to the important matter at hand.

good book. glad DC did this for Sam.

Anyway, as already stated....last few pages hit hard :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"