The Dark Knight The Official "The Dark Knight Is Overrated" Thread.

The Joker would probably have been a better character if he was out to make money or at least not so much to the other extreme as burning money. Him hating society & its rules but still wanting to be rich would have been crude but probably entertaining hypocrisy.

It does have its fair share of flaws rewatching it:

• It has some blatant disregard for medicine (Harvey’s scars should have killed him and not have him talk normally), law (only the DoJ can take on RICO cases), and physics (the Batpod’s 180 degree turn)

• the Joker seems to kill more black men than white

• Rachel gets a fridge dropped on her and her being a damsel in distress, in general

• a bank robbery just happened and no bystander seemed to give a damn

• the score can get too much at times

• the Joker conveniently gets a bus full of news reporters

• Harvey survives a deadly car crash. Seatbelts aren’t magical

• The film expects us to think Gordon dies despite being obvious he won’t

• the bus doesn’t even hit that clown and he still died

• Batman fight scenes are handled poorly. They all take turns, don’t shoot at him, and he’s way too slow

• Gotham is Chicago and no effort is made to hide that

• a lot of overacting from that Russian guy, not to mention Dent getting in on the ham as well at times

• the extras aren’t the best actors

• So Gordon cares more for his son than the rest of his family? He only yelled when Harvey motioned towards his son.

• So Gordon’s sighted aged from being a baby to a little girl between Begins and this?

• Rachel got her Roman history wrong

• Some characters can withstand getting near gunshots and still have their hearing intact

• silencers aren’t that silent

• It doesn’t matter if Lau is in China. He will still be prosecuted there

• “5 dead, 2 of them cops” wait, who were they? And how would you know?

• a lot of unnecessary product placement, like for Nokia and lamborghinis

• Gordon’s wife scream was used twice at the end

• Oldman’s accent breaks here and there and it’s way too noticable to ignore

• the Joker got away with a lot too easily and Gordon didn’t get demoted after his failed capture, given many had died

• there’s a lot of editing mistakes in the big chase scene

• the fingerprinting and solar devices were ridiculous. Bullets don’t shatter and the heat will destroy fingerprints. Plus, it’s all too convenient for Bruce to have his own cell towers to simultaneously get all of Gotham’s phones, who apparently have the same carrier.

• the phone can have reception under a belly, I guess

• the ferry scene was way too unrealistically sentimental. A boat would’ve been detonated the second it was revealed to them. You think too much of us, Nolan

• exposition replaces natural dialogue

• Batman does kill Harvey and he doesn’t seem to give a damn

• cinematography choices that don’t make sense, like the orbital shot with the Joker and Rachel

• and of course, Batman’s voice

All things considered, I still really loved it.

Last edited:
Now this explains why Gambols death scene looked so bad.

Today is the 10th anniversary of The Dark Knight and to celebrate, The Hollywood Reporter spoke to Michael Jai White about working on the movie, including his popular scene with Heath Ledger’s Joker.

As you recall, White played Gambol, a gangster that put a bounty on The Joker’s head. In the movie, we’re lead to believe that The Joker kills Gambol but according to White that wasn’t supposed to happen. In fact, he says he shot additional footage that was cut out.

“It was the kind of thing where they had deeper intentions for Gambol; it was a character who was written for future use, I think,” White said. “There were other plans to do stuff with that character and some things that were cut out. I think it’s because of unfortunately losing Heath Ledger.”

“I think that people can tell by the strange cut that I never shot a death scene,” White explained. “The character wasn’t supposed to be gone. That is something that happened in editing later.”

“You don’t see mistakes in a movie of that magnitude. When you see something that is somewhat a mistake or is not clarified, there is something behind that,” he added.
White went on to say that he didn’t know his character died until he saw the movie at the premiere.

“Being that I have been on both sides of the camera, I understood,” White admitted. “I was as surprised as anybody. The next few moments after Gambol hit the ground, I was in a state of confusion, like ‘What the bad place happened? I guess I am not coming back.’ But, I have a producer’s and director’s mind-set, so I was able to look at it and think, ‘I guess they must have wanted to go this way.'”
https://batman-news.com/2018/07/18/...t-and-had-more-scenes-says-michael-jai-white/

I wouldn't say this movie was overrated. It had some amazing performances. The only part I ever fast forward through are the ferry scenes. The acting in those scenes is atrocious.

• the ferry scene was way too unrealistically sentimental. A boat would’ve been detonated the second it was revealed to them.

Have to LOL but true.

• Batman does kill Harvey and he doesn’t seem to give a damn

I think the way Gordon says Dent's (emphasis) reputation was dead was trying to be ambiguous, tease that Dent may not be dead. Regardless if he did die it seems more of an unintended effect and Batman didn't have much of an alternative to save the boy (plus if the movie was more realistic Dent wouldn't last long anyway/anything could kill him).

I wouldn't say this movie was overrated. It had some amazing performances. The only part I ever fast forward through are the ferry scenes. The acting in those scenes is atrocious.

The worst is the captain that says "We're still here. That means they haven't killed us yet either." It's a terrible line and some people on here attacked me for calling it out some years back.

For all the amazing actors Nolan picks for his films, he sure uses some bad extras sometimes.

[YT]PPP6XAsPbz8[/YT]

Not that I think the film is overrated at all, but it's not perfect. No film is.

Last edited:
And even nowadays, often overrated seems to translate to 'You shouldn't like this thing because too many people like it.'

It's not a perfect movie, but it's not overrated either. Its impact is undeniable, quite frankly.

No film is perfect? I disagree. But most great films aren’t. TDK is a fantastic movie. It’s not in my top 10 of all time, but I still love it. It has some fantastic believable acting. Tremendous performances. But like others have said, it also has some terrible acting from extras (or are they actually actors who auditioned for tiny roles?). And they don’t have the best lines to work with either. Too on the nose. I don’t understand how Nolan can be so detailed and then for stuff like this, where he has scenes where an actor is called upon to make a super small appearance, but with a decent amount of lines or at least of great importance. And he casts as if he’s in a rush, half asleep, “ehh he will do! Next!..”. How does this happen? After many times watching TDK, those nitpicks add to the charm like an older blockbuster (Terminator 2 comes to mind). But technically speaking it brings it down a notch from being a masterpiece.

No film is perfect? I disagree. But most great films aren’t. TDK is a fantastic movie. It’s not in my top 10 of all time, but I still love it. It has some fantastic believable acting. Tremendous performances. But like others have said, it also has some terrible acting from extras (or are they actually actors who auditioned for tiny roles?). And they don’t have the best lines to work with either. Too on the nose. I don’t understand how Nolan can be so detailed and then for stuff like this, where he has scenes where an actor is called upon to make a super small appearance, but with a decent amount of lines or at least of great importance. And he casts as if he’s in a rush, half asleep, “ehh he will do! Next!..”. How does this happen? After many times watching TDK, those nitpicks add to the charm like an older blockbuster (Terminator 2 comes to mind). But technically speaking it brings it down a notch from being a masterpiece.

Yeah, Nolan has a penchant for using actors he's worked with on previous films, and therein lies the problem. In the case of his first two Batman films, he opted to round out the cast w/ a number of supporting and background actors of varying experience from his native Great Britain. Now, I know there are plenty of Brits who can affect an American accent with ease, but, simply put, the same can't be said of others. When you're not accustomed to speaking a certain way, it doesn't matter how good of an actor you are--you come across sounding like an amateur!

Every once in a while, I'm tempted to believe this thread's hypothesis, and then I see something like this:

[YT]ZTCi48JOmWU[/YT]

And those doubts are promptly forgotten.

I also think it doesn't really make sense that Batman would be looking forward to retiring and living a normal life after one year as a hero after he spent seven years preparing to fight crime as a mission, he wouldn't be looking forward to stopping so soon just because the new DA might be able to do a good job himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"