BvS The Official Zack Snyder Directs Everything Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if I would have liked green lantern had the movie not been so ugly.

If only the Hammond stuff was cut and the focus was solely on Parallax, we would have had much better movie. I enjoy GL, but there were some missed opportunities. The movie started really well.

If only the Hammond stuff was cut and the focus was solely on Parallax, we would have had much better movie. I enjoy GL, but there were some missed opportunities. The movie started really well.

In what way did it start well?

"Millions of years ago there was a great evil fart cloud in the universe that was locked up and left unguarded for some miners to discover".

"Millions of years ago there was a great evil fart cloud in the universe that was locked up and left unguarded for some miners to discover".

I've never seen GL but I think I might have to now.

i would have preferred if gl took place entirely in space/other planets. as soon as hal got the the ring he should have been off planet.

LOL

I do agree that the Parallax stuff at the beginning was really bad, though I thought the initial scenes with Hal were good. Abin Sur being attacked was also pretty cool.

I think GL might have been better received if they hadn't chosen such repulsive looking villains (giant-headed slimy guy and diarrhea cloud).

ЯɘvlveR;28631427 said:
i would have preferred if gl took place entirely in space/other planets. as soon as hal got the the ring he should have been off planet.
Babylon 5 had more convincing sets and CGI.

ЯɘvlveR;28631427 said:

People always say this but there are two problems with that logic:

1 - An entire movie set in space takes a huge budget and special effects wizards who really know what they are doing. People complained about the effects in GL, even though a large portion of it is earth-based. I can't even imagine how poorly it might have looked had the entire movie been off-planet.

2 - Trying to figure out what appeals to the GA is a tricky thing and the majority of superhero films have been earth-based. And even with a property like GL, that can make sense since he's assigned to protect Earth and even in the comics, he spends at least a good portion of his time in Coast City with Carol and his friends there.

Now granted, GL failed to connect with the GA. But I don't think that's entirely because the film took place mostly on Earth.

I wonder if I would have liked green lantern had the movie not been so ugly.

I KNOW that Zack would've made a better Green Lantern. His sense of visual imagination paired up with his ability to capture loyal warriors would make that movie fun to watch, if not legitimately good.

Zack can do spectacle in a way Campbell couldn't, who is better with more down to Earth affairs. Given the same script he'd make a more entertaining film, I feel.

Campbell was just a face. He didn't know what he was doing and i don't think he cared either. His name was just picked out of a hat and the film wasn't really his i don't think. It shows.

It should have been a cosmic buddie cop movie. Focus more on Hal and Sinestro's relationship. From resentment, to begrudging respect, to full on friendship by films end. We learn the GL mythos as Hal does... instead of some ill conceived opening montage that the viewer has no emotional attachment to.

The whole thing was just unimaginative and lazy. It's like the studio just wanted the origin out of the way so they could kick on with this big new franchise. Problem is, you gotta make a decent first movie for a franchise to be viable.

Seems they learn a lot of lessons from the GL debacle. So it's a blessing in disguise really.

Campbell was just a face. He didn't know what he was doing and i don't think he cared either. His name was just picked out of a hat and the film wasn't really his i don't think. It shows.

It should have been a cosmic buddie cop movie. Focus more on Hal and Sinestro's relationship. From resentment, to begrudging respect, to full on friendship by films end. We learn the GL mythos as Hal does... instead of some ill conceived opening montage that the viewer has no emotional attachment to.

The whole thing was just unimaginative and lazy. It's like the studio just wanted the origin out of the way so they could kick on with this big new franchise. Problem is, you gotta make a decent first movie for a franchise to be viable.

Seems they learn a lot of lessons from the GL debacle. So it's a blessing in disguise really.

Not for GL fans. Even if they learned their lesson, the film might have scared WB off from even touching the property again any time in the near future.

I think there's a way to do a space adventure and not use a ton of money on special effects. Like, look at how Serenity did it. I think alot of the money was used on the cgi suit which they shouldn't have done in the first place.

But you know, in an odd way, eventhough the movie flopped I still feel like it was successful in putting Green Lantern in the public consciousness. The marketing campaign for the movie was big and I think people at least KNOW who Green Lantern is now. Which is something positive I guess.

I guess so. And that could be true. The Green Lantern name is poison. But i think if they give GL a role in Justice League and make him a Hulk in Avengers esque-scene stealer, it could get more interest for a solo film.

And if The Rock was the GL like some rumours? Yea i'd buy that for a dollar!

Eh, I still think they should avoid the GL name until after they've built up some good will with Justice League. It's not the same situation as the Hulk in The Avengers. The two Hulk films weren't as big as Marvel wanted them to be but they also weren't seen as massive financial and critical failures. It was just more of a case of "How do we get this right? Still needs some tweaking."

The pacing was much better. Abin Sur's escape from Parallax, to me, was the best action sequence of the movie.

This is what I'm referring to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUWjYibR1Xo

Last edited:
Eh, I still think they should avoid the GL name until after they've built up some good will with Justice League. It's not the same situation as the Hulk in The Avengers. The two Hulk films weren't as big as Marvel wanted them to be but they also weren't seen as massive financial and critical failures. It was just more of a case of "How do we get this right? Still needs some tweaking."

I don't see it going down any other way if I'm honest. They decided on no Hulk 2 before Avengers was released, post Avengers Fiege seems more open to the idea. I think it'll be the same here. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if any eventual Green Lantern, Flash or Wonder Woman films were marketed as Justice League- Origins: [insert name].

I don't see it going down any other way if I'm honest. They decided on no Hulk 2 before Avengers was released, post Avengers Fiege seems more open to the idea. I think it'll be the same here. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if any eventual Green Lantern, Flash or Wonder Woman films were marketed as Justice League- Origins: [insert name].

LOL, well... they might want to avoid using the term "origins" considering who appeared in the last superhero film that had that name and they probably want to distance themselves from him, should they ever make another Green Lantern movie. :cwink:

They'd be a decade removed from that film, but Origins, Chronicles or whatever, I could see them pushing Justice League over the individuals.

People always say this but there are two problems with that logic:

1 - An entire movie set in space takes a huge budget and special effects wizards who really know what they are doing. People complained about the effects in GL, even though a large portion of it is earth-based. I can't even imagine how poorly it might have looked had the entire movie been off-planet.

2 - Trying to figure out what appeals to the GA is a tricky thing and the majority of superhero films have been earth-based. And even with a property like GL, that can make sense since he's assigned to protect Earth and even in the comics, he spends at least a good portion of his time in Coast City with Carol and his friends there.

Now granted, GL failed to connect with the GA. But I don't think that's entirely because the film took place mostly on Earth.

1.these movies cost a a lot of money to make. it's part of the territory. they should have done their homework regarding the special fx if they were to spend a lot of money on it after all.

2. but that's why it's a problem. he's the one guy with which you could center a space bound film around. that's what it had going for it because the earth based/city based hero is old hat.

Re: 300,

What is the narrative purpose of Theron raping Queen Gorga?

Narrative? He promises to use his influence in the council to casus belli and add the Spartan army to the 300.

No, because he got what he wanted, to have sex with her in a humiliating, degrading way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"