The Old Official Superman Casting Thread

Discussion in 'The Hype Archives' started by Lobo, Aug 19, 2008.

?

The Next Superman Film: Cast Your Superman

1. Brandon Routh

2. Tom Welling

3. Henry Cavill

4. Michael Trucco

5. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asteroid-Man Registered

If we cross this with the Nolanverse ever, we need a young Superman seeing how they are retelling it anyways. Might I suggest (and I know I'll get flammed for it) Tom Welling?

Here me out, they want Dark, Smallville has been getting dark and it can slowly build up to it in the last 20 episodes. You could then have the story be that he just became Superman and that Lex is missing and there's another Super-Villain around and go around that. The whole time, Clark Kent has to be his bumbling-bafoon self again (which Tom is really good at) to hide his persona. Have one of his enemies find out who he is. We've never had that in a Superman movie. I think if they WANT a dark film, they won't be able to just have it be dark just like that. We have Smallville, use it to your advantage as a slow transition.

2. Crook Registered

3. Asteroid-Man Registered

You're kidding right? I just gave a long plausible explanation and that's the best you can come up with?

:down:dry:

4. Crook Registered

No, but it's a waste of time and an entire post is barely enough to contain all my thoughts on why SV is a travesty to the Superman mythos.

Plain and simple, Welling is a horrid actor, I don't even like his look for the role, he brings baggage from the show, and casting him would automatically split the fans. This is never gonna happen, especially after WB is looking to turn over a new leaf.

5. Asteroid-Man Registered

Then I see no way of a Dark Superman of working.

6. Crook Registered

Then clearly you have a very narrow mindset. To think Welling if our only chance for a "darker" Superman is ludicrous and laughable.

Never mind the fact that the character isn't too dark in the first place.

7. Timstuff Registered

I do not want Welling in this. Smallville has gone completely down the crapper in recent seasons, and to use the series' lead actor for the new movie would completely defeat the idea of it being a reboot. Sure, it might be fun to wonder what may have been if Warner Bros. had planned from the start to only do 3 seasons of Smallville, and then tie it in to a new Superman movie with Welling instead of doing SR, but that is the past. We are in the now, and in the now it is completely ridiculous for me to imagine using Welling for the new Superman movie, because he brings way too much Smallville baggage with him.

Henry Cavill seems like he's the perfect choice ATM. I won't be so audacious as to say he's this franchise's Christian Bale, but dang, if there's someone better (or more fan approved) I'd certainly like to know.

8. Bad Superman World's Grimmest Hero

Is Cavill free of his Tudors contract?

9. Crook Registered

I think for once we're in complete agreement on casting. :D

The great thing about Cavill right now is he's not incredibly busy to do a tentpole film. He's merely a supporting cast mate on his show, so filming schedules aren't a likely problem.

Plus the kid is clearly seeking his breakout role in Hollywood. He's already tested for Superman, and was also the runner-up behind Craig for Bond. For once, fanboy casting may actually have a chance at coming true.

10. Bad Superman World's Grimmest Hero

Well, in that case: CAVILL FTW!!

11. Timstuff Registered

Fanboy casting came true with Batman Begins, so I don't see why it can't for Superman Reboots. When Singer was putting together SR, there really wasn't any fan favorite at the time. The closest thing to one was Welling, but there were about as many fans who despised the idea of him as Superman as those who loved it, so it's probably for the best that he didn't get the part.

This time around, Cavill seems to be emerging as quite a fan favorite. If WB takes notice, I have little doubt that he's going to be on their short list.

12. That-Guy Registered

I was never a supporter of Cavill back in Pre-SR days because I felt he looked too young, but I guess that's one of the good things about projects that end up in development hell for years... by the time the movie winds up getting made, certain actors might have grown into the role.

I think that he definitely has the look now... and he's definitely an accomplished actor. Speaking of the show The Tudors, does anyone think John Rhys Meyers could make an awesome Lex Luthor if they went with a younger Lex?

13. batman44 Go Speed GO

^You know, John Meyers could possibly be a good Lex

14. Slugster the Slugster

Cavill with 2 inch hills 6'3" hey??? aint Superman 6'3"?

15. That-Guy Registered

Thanks... just hit me. He's a brilliant actor... his performance in Match Point was one for the ages.

Awesome avatar, BTW... is that a drawing or just an enhanced photo of the Joker?

16. batman44 Go Speed GO

Enhanced photo I believe.

17. Nighthawk_Fan Registered

For some reason when I look at Henry Cavill I see him as Superman. I think he would do a great job as Supey. He's my top choice. I hope this time they get Lois Lane right. Erica Durance is the best Lois to date, and I hope they could hire an actress that could it off like she did. Here are my choices:

Superman/Henry Cavill
    [​IMG]

Lois Lane/Amy Adams
    [​IMG]

18. metropolitanpsy Registered

plz let nolan handle the superman project

that guy is a movie making genius

he will probably choose a natural superman like bale was for batman

warner bros better hire him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Timstuff Registered

No. He's perfect for Batman but completely wrong for Superman. Warner Bros. already tried giving Superman to an "established" superhero director, and look at what happened. Also, Batman 3 needs him more, so Superman can't have him.

20. metropolitanpsy Registered

u dnt know wut there gonna decide
    so im entitled to my opinion

21. GreenKToo In the fire

B.S.G. ( Battlestar Galactica.)

22. spark627 Registered

Lots of actors juggle tv shows and movies. I wouldn't count Cavill out bc of Tudors.

23. That-Guy Registered

Here's how I'd cast it if I had to make a decision right now, off the top of my head. First off, it would be an origin story, focusing on a young Superman just starting out at the Daily Planet.

Superman: Henry Cavill
    Lex Luthor: John Rhys Meyers
    Lois Lane: Zooey Deschanel
    Lana Lang: Amy Adams
    Jimmy Olson: Paul Dano
    Brainiac: Colm Feore

24. SPIDERMAN117 Registered

How do you make an origin film greater than Donner's Superman?

25. That-Guy Registered

edit double post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.