Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The RATINGS Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
AOS burned their audience with the 1st half of season 1.
*ding* *ding* *ding* *ding*
We have a winner.

Somewhere early in it's run, (maybe after episode 4 or 5 of season 1) the majority opinion among the blogs and internet media news sites suddenly went from "this isn't really working, but let's wait and see" to "OMG! AOS sucks!"

The problem is that that perception stuck, hardened, formed a layer of crust and solidified. In this age where good/great TV is coming at people from every direction, shows just don't get second chances.

Last edited:
I've stuck through it since day 1 and am happy they've made it through 3 seasons which is all i hoped for. All though I like Bobbi and Hunter I find the spinoff unappealing. I would have preferred an altogether different property being given a shot.

The problem is that that perception stuck, hardened, formed a layer of crust and solidified. In this age where good/great TV is coming at people from every direction, shows just don't get second chances.

I still blame BSG and Lost for a lot of this. People were so disappointed with the endings of those ones that no one has patience anymore. "Give me the answers about Coulson right now or I'm outta here" was a pretty prevalent opinion about the show.

Dardevil would likely have done just as well on ABC

Hard to speculate but I'd wager dollars to donuts that if DD had been on ABC it wouldn't have looked too different from AoS. DeKnight isn't really built for network TV (case in point Dollhouse).

AOS burned their audience with the 1st half of season 1. I only started watching again because I found out what happened with the Winter Soldier tie-in. I think ratings would be stronger if the show started as solid as it is now.

A lot of people(including me)felt the exact same way but got bashed for saying it. I stuck with and glad I did but I can't blame anyone who left. That first season was horrible. And it seemed like the writers of the show blamed fans when it clearly wasn't working. I said awhile back in this same thread that those fans who left the show ain't coming back no matter how good the show gets. The writers had their chance but really dropped the ball.

There is a perception about this show thanks to the first half of season 1...and because of that and the general lack of excitement from the general audience, more people seem to be dropping off.

Unfortunately, I am worried that this has now stained ANY Marvel show that ABC would do. Agent Carter wasn't a blockbuster, and many viewed it as a prequel to a show they don't watch. The Mockingbird/Hunter show will rightfully be seen as a spin-off of a show people aren't watching. The comedy about people cleaning up destruction (an idea I don't even like and think trivializes events that are supposed to be taken seriously and possibly could kill thousands of people) will be seen as Marvel once again refusing to give us superheroes on free tv.

There is a perception about this show thanks to the first half of season 1...and because of that and the general lack of excitement from the general audience, more people seem to be dropping off.

Unfortunately, I am worried that this has now stained ANY Marvel show that ABC would do. Agent Carter wasn't a blockbuster, and many viewed it as a prequel to a show they don't watch. The Mockingbird/Hunter show will rightfully be seen as a spin-off of a show people aren't watching. The comedy about people cleaning up destruction (an idea I don't even like and think trivializes events that are supposed to be taken seriously and possibly could kill thousands of people) will be seen as Marvel once again refusing to give us superheroes on free tv.

I highly doubt that future ABC shows would be tainted because of perception formed around the first half of season 1, that's a weeee bit melodramatic. Frankly, as much as AoS has improved in seasons 2 and 3, it's still network TV, which is an inferior format to cable. If an actual superhero show were announced tomorrow, I think a lot, if not most people would be disappointed that it's not on Netflix. Ms Marvel, Cloak and Dagger, THE RUNAWAYS, I'm leery of any of these properties on ABC.

Last edited:
It's kind of crazy for Marvel to do a superhero show without superheroes. I think that's the thing that people are kind of bothered by. I know we have one on the show now but why not use one of the better known ones to show up every now and then. This may sound crazy but would it have killed them to have a Blade(Snipes is on TV now so he was open to it) or Punisher(one who is on SHIELD's radar)to kind of give the show a boost. Them using Daisy is not going to give the show the boost it needs.

It's kind of crazy for Marvel to do a superhero show without superheroes. I think that's the thing that people are kind of bothered by. I know we have one on the show now but why not use one of the better known ones to show up every now and then. This may sound crazy but would it have killed them to have a Blade(Snipes is on TV now so he was open to it) or Punisher(one who is on SHIELD's radar)to kind of give the show a boost. Them using Daisy is not going to give the show the boost it needs.

Think they went in a bit half arsed. Everyone was expecting cameos from super hero a listers. The show wasn't what people expected so most stopped watching. It wasn't very good the first season not sure what it wanted to be so fell a bit flat.
I enjoy it and will keep watching. But can understand why others didn't.

Daredevil and flash knew what they wanted to be from the off and so are a lot more popular.

Think they went in a bit half arsed. Everyone was expecting cameos from super hero a listers. The show wasn't what people expected so most stopped watching. It wasn't very good the first season not sure what it wanted to be so fell a bit flat.
I enjoy it and will keep watching. But can understand why others didn't.

Daredevil and flash knew what they wanted to be from the off and so are a lot more popular.

Agreed. But that first season they have said numerous times that they wanted it to be about SHIELD in a world of superheroes but without them. That made no sense. That's like having a cop show but only showing it from the cop's wives point of view. It turned off the fans who love the comic characters and wanted to see their favorites on screen. They were better off going with the long rumored Cloak and Dagger show or Moon Knight instead of this. Or if you were going to go SHIELD, why not used the agents in the comics? I also think what killed it in the first season was the tone. It really came off goofy and kiddy. Ill timed jokes and just unrealistic situation. I still don't understand how Skye/Daisy was allowed to hack SHIELD and still be on the team. How can they trust her? That's like letting Eric Snowden join the CIA. Little things like that are turn offs.

Glad to see the Muppets doing well. :up: Love that show so far.

AoS has done a complete 180 from the first season. You have to wonder though, even if the show was this quality from the get-go, would the ratings be that great for a Marvel show without Marvel superheroes as the main focus? I'd bet we'd get a few more million tops.

Last edited:
Glad to see the Muppets doing well. :up: Love that show so far.

AoS has done a complete 180 from the first season. You have to wonder though, even if the show was this quality from the get-go, would the ratings be that great for a Marvel show without Marvel superheroes as the main focus? I'd bet we'd get a few more million tops.

"A few more million" watching live rather than on DVR would make a HUGE difference for this show.

"A few more million" watching live rather than on DVR would make a HUGE difference for this show.

Huge difference how, not being cancelled? OK. My point is the show was never going to be a huge hit because of the non-superhero in a superhero world premise. It is what it is.

I hear you but having 7M live views instead of 4M is a HUGE difference.

Huge difference how, not being cancelled? OK. My point is the show was never going to be a huge hit because of the non-superhero in a superhero world premise. It is what it is.

More viewers= more seasons and since AoS has been getting better each year ...

The way the show is going now we're probably going to end up with a season three renewal, and then a season four renewal for syndication purposes and that's it. I wouldn't be surprised if season four is burned off on Friday or Saturday night in the late timeslot. An extra few million live viewers in the demo could mean 7-10 seasons instead of a probable 4.

The premiere scored a whopping 4.7 rating. Now it's struggling to keep up with the Flash, which premiered to a 1.9 rating.

That huge initial rating proves beyond any doubt that there was interest in the premise of the show. It may not have the same potential as a true superhero show but the audience was there and the show quickly drove it away.

The way the show is going now we're probably going to end up with a season three renewal, and then a season four renewal for syndication purposes and that's it. I wouldn't be surprised if season four is burned off on Friday or Saturday night in the late timeslot. An extra few million live viewers in the demo could mean 7-10 seasons instead of a probable 4.

The premiere scored a whopping 4.7 rating. Now it's struggling to keep up with the Flash, which premiered to a 1.9 rating.

That huge initial rating proves beyond any doubt that there was interest in the premise of the show. It may not have the same potential as a true superhero show but the audience was there and the show quickly drove it away.

I agree, but I just guesstimated that number, it may even be lower. I understand that when you're pulling in 4 million or so viewers in a primetime network slot that every eyeball matters. I just speculated on the true potential of the ratings numbers, which I believe would be average, not what it means for the show in terms of cancellation or future seasons. I never even considered this show lasting a decade.

I highly doubt that future ABC shows would be tainted because of perception formed around the first half of season 1, that's a weeee bit melodramatic. Frankly, as much as AoS has improved in seasons 2 and 3, it's still network TV, which is an inferior format to cable. If an actual superhero show were announced tomorrow, I think a lot, if not most people would be disappointed that it's not on Netflix. Ms Marvel, Cloak and Dagger, THE RUNAWAYS, I'm leery of any of these properties on ABC.

Then Marvel on ABC can look forward to continued drops in ratings.

The perceived lack of quality of this show, combined with the absolutely correct perception that tv doesn't seem to be impacting the movies at all has LIKELY tainted more than just this show. Netflix avoided that with a top tier superhero character leading the way. ABC needs to bring out a big gun, OR accept what is happening with the ratings.

Then Marvel on ABC can look forward to continued drops in ratings. ABC needs to bring out a big gun, OR accept what is happening with the ratings.

I just don't see the correlation between season 1 of AoS and future projects. For me it's more about concept and execution. They could bring out a "big gun" and still have mediocre ratings based on poor execution. On the other hand, they could take a flyer on a lesser-known property and hit pay dirt with great execution.. If it's a spinoff from AoS, then yes, it will likely underwhelm in the ratings, but a fresh show by different showrunners shouldn't be tarnished because of 12 + shows from season 1.

Although I'd rather see Marvel go exclusively with Netflix in the future, I realize that's unrealistic as Disney owns ABC and will want to cash in on potential hits from Marvel's character library.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"