Homecoming The Spider-Man Skepticism Thread - Part 1

What areas do you think may be of potential concern to you or other fans of the new film?

posting this here instead of general decsion since less chance of me being bashed for daring to say it.i keep hearing from these twitter reaction so much fun.well i am still worried because having fun 24/7 isn't all what spider-man is about.yes he has fun when he is in full outfit battling villains and saving people.
but spider-man is suspose to be everyman hero.he has dealing with a lot of problems he is dealing with as peter parker.and being spider-man can also be curse.

posting this here instead of general decsion since less chance of me being bashed for daring to say it.i keep hearing from these twitter reaction so much fun.well i am still worried because having fun 24/7 isn't all what spider-man is about.yes he has fun when he is in full outfit battling villains and saving people.
but spider-man is suspose to be everyman hero.he has dealing with a lot of problems he is dealing with as peter parker.and being spider-man can also be curse.

IMO, I think a fun film that lets Spider-Man enjoy being Spider-Man and all of that is the right way to go in order to win back both fans and audiences. That said, I hope they switch the tone as the sequels get going.

Spider-Man is a lot of things, including fun, but he's made up of many things which is why people identify and connect with the character differently.

IMO, I think a fun film that lets Spider-Man enjoy being Spider-Man and all of that is the right way to go in order to win back both fans and audiences. That said, I hope they switch the tone as the sequels get going.

Spider-Man is a lot of things, including fun, but he's made up of many things which is why people identify and connect with the character differently.

well i hope critics are only mentioning humor and action and there is a bit more.

i often have different oporion.of couse some might say since i really liked first amazing spider-man film my oporion doesn't matter:cwink:

michael keaton reaction seems to be most encourging news from early reaction.especilly where you consider how mcy villains not loki or on netflix.

i guess final film could make what is described look better.

In response to that, I'll re-post what I put in the spoilers thread:

Yeah, one reviewer on Twitter noted that as well https://twitter.com/WilliamBibbiani/status/878421473597112320

[BLACKOUT]'Seems they're straying away from emotional gravitas & drama and instead going for fun & lighthearted. Which in itself isn't bad but when you go through the guy's replies he notes that you hardly even feel like Ben's death is an important factor and that 'with great power comes great responsibility' should be integral to the character. That's pretty disheartening to hear[/BLACKOUT]

It could be tricky to change the the tone If Homecoming makes a lot of money Emphasizing a fun Spider-Man.

In response to that, I'll re-post what I put in the spoilers thread:

Yeah, one reviewer on Twitter noted that as well https://twitter.com/WilliamBibbiani/status/878421473597112320

[BLACKOUT]'Seems they're straying away from emotional gravitas & drama and instead going for fun & lighthearted. Which in itself isn't bad but when you go through the guy's replies he notes that you hardly even feel like Ben's death is an important factor and that 'with great power comes great responsibility' should be integral to the character. That's pretty disheartening to hear[/BLACKOUT]

Okay, as much as I'm fine with a fun take, that seems worrisome. I didn't get the vibe in Civil War even though I understood the "Bad things happen" speech and it doesn't appear I'll get the vibe here.

I don't see why the two (Fun, emotional drama/responsibility) have to cancel each other out. I appreciated TASM2 for trying the two even if the tones did conflict a little bit in certain aspects, but even then I just chalked it up as a comic book come to life, ya know? A much better example is Spider-Man 2, anyway.

It could be tricky to change the the tone If Homecoming makes a lot of money Emphasizing a fun Spider-Man.

That's also true and with Sony wanting people to embrace this new Spider-Man..

Last edited:

I don't think Marvel had a choice really. There's been 5 Spider-man movies with an older Peter Parker full of angst and love interest out in the forefront right along with him. A 6th movie with the same themes would have been overkill and I think would have doomed this movie with critics and fans. It would all scream RETREAD and that's a label they couldn't afford with this being Spider-man's first movie in the MCU trying to revive a character beaten down by sub-par movies. If there were no TASM/TASM2 I think Homecoming would have been a more traditional reboot with the familiar themes.

I agree that difficult moments in life belong to the story of Spider-Man, but sequels are perhaps better place for those than the first movie. For now Peter is just enjoying helping people, which is understandable.

After reading the spoilers... good lord. I truly don't see how all of this can be acceptable and praised.

A movie doesn't have to be a faithful adaptation of its source material to be considered good. That of course doesn't take away your right as a fan to be disappointed about what's been changed.

A movie doesn't have to be a faithful adaptation of its source material to be considered good. That of course doesn't take away your right as a fan to be disappointed about what's been changed.
Fant4stic done right?

Are we really unhappy with a "fun" Spider-man movie...? That's something to complain about?

Fant4stic done right?

well that film we can now say was doomed minute josh trank was hired.in theory a loose adoptian of ultimate ff might have work but trank was incomptent and now amount of reshots and reediting after fox panacked was
going to change that.next november will answer if allowing simon kinberg to
direct doomed dark phoenix.

spider-man is whole different ball game.for homecoming marvel had creative control.yes rothman had to sign off and yes his team at sony is to blame for
marketing campagin which tried to sell this as spider-man & Iron Man film.

problem is for some they will accept whatever marvel does as evidanced by iron man 3,age of ultron,ant-man,and dr strange.

i as fan of x-men films give more critism towards x-men films like when i called first class and deadpool overrated,critzed lawrence as mystique in apocalypse,and gave plenty of shade to lawrence returning for dark phoenix and how i have no faith in kinberg as director for dark phoenix.i have gone from being paid fox plant here to being viewed as obsessed negative fan:woot:

i am sure some will call me fake spider-man fan because i can gurante I
won't be gushing over homecoming when i see like some others.

Are we really unhappy with a "fun" Spider-man movie...? That's something to complain about?

Lol hey Flint, not used to seeing you in these neck of the woods :funny:

To answer your question, it's not that some people don't want a 'fun' Spider-Man (on the contrary, it's most welcome) it's the reviewer who noted that the film seems more about having fun than great power & great responsibility, and that Uncle Ben's death doesn't feel like a factor in his motivation

Who is "we"? :funny:

The people in here complaining about it, clearly.

Lol hey Flint, not used to seeing you in these neck of the woods :funny:

To answer your question, it's not that some people don't want a 'fun' Spider-Man (on the contrary, it's most welcome) it's the reviewer who noted that the film seems more about having fun and that Uncle Ben's death doesn't feel like a factor in his motivation

I came into this thread because I thought the impressions that say Stark is a minimal part of the film and that it's definitely Spider-man's story would excite people but instead I see some people discussing the "fun" tone as if we weren't all expecting that.

I don't think Marvel had a choice really. There's been 5 Spider-man movies with an older Peter Parker full of angst and love interest out in the forefront right along with him. A 6th movie with the same themes would have been overkill and I think would have doomed this movie with critics and fans. It would all scream RETREAD and that's a label they couldn't afford with this being Spider-man's first movie in the MCU trying to revive a character beaten down by sub-par movies. If there were no TASM/TASM2 I think Homecoming would have been a more traditional reboot with the familiar themes.

Agree with this. That's why ASM failed in my eyes. Besides being darker literally and figuratively, it didn't really bring anything new or interesting to justify a reboot. (The secret origins of his parents was lame)

I came into this thread because I thought the impressions that say Stark is a minimal part of the film and that it's definitely Spider-man's story would excite people but instead I see some people discussing the "fun" tone as if we weren't all expecting that.

To be fair, no one reasonable actually thought Stark would have much screen time (we were explicitly told a few weeks ago that he only had 5/6 scenes, and a recent article noted that he was only on set for 3 days & worked for $5mil a day), it was more about his fingerprints being all over the new Spider-Man. But that's been discussed to death so we don't need to go back to that.

Personally, there's things that sparked my interest, but even more that didn't appeal to me which had nothing to do with Stark (if you were brave enough to read the spoilers, we could get into detail about it. If not, we'll just wait till the movie is out to continue)

But, inasmuch as I see things I don't like, we've finally gotten a well received Spider-Man movie. That in itself is worth celebrating. Rather than begin a potential argument amongst certain users, let's just accept that there's things in the movie that some will like that others will dislike and vice versa. Speaking of which, I know you've been a huge champion for Marvel's direction with the MCU Spidey, I'm sure you're ecstatic about the reviews, huh?

I'm not mad about Stark/Tony anymore. We have far bigger problems now. It's less to do with the movie being "fun" and more about the movie ignoring & completely glossing over the tragedy in which Spider-Man was born. There is no "with great power comes great responsibility" Marvel wants Peter/Spider-Man to only be a "fun/playful" character when that's never been the only thing he was about.

That's what that reviewer (who is clearly a fan of the comics) was complaining about.

We've had two other series where they did that.

It's like asking every Batman movie shows his parents getting gunned down again.

I'm not mad about Stark/Tony anymore. We have far bigger problems now. It's less to do with the movie being "fun" and more about the movie ignoring & completely glossing over the tragedy in which Spider-Man was born. There is no "with great power comes great responsibility" Marvel wants Peter/Spider-Man to only be a "fun/playful" character when that's never been the only thing he was about.

That's what that reviewer (who is clearly a fan of the comics) was complaining about.

your right.the film has bigger problems than stark and his presense which as from sound of it we can deal with that.bigger problems are peter when mask is off.and no tragedy which fuels him.
yes spider-man can be fun/playful character but they seem to be taking away much of seriouness and facing problems from peter's life which rounds out spider-man lore

We've already seen that the "with great power" thing has affected this character. It's the scene in Civil War that you laughably tried to pretend had nothing to do with Uncle Ben. If that isn't enough for you then I get it, but like I've said: anything is a step up from the previous Spider-man, whose story just went through the motions of the "great power" speech even though it had no real effect or impact on the character. But whatever, not going into this here as you've clearly had your mind made up for months.

We've had two other series where they did that.

It's like asking every Batman movie shows his parents getting gunned down again.

when you reboot you are saying other films never exsisted.so any shown in spider-man 1-3 and amazing spider-man 1 and 2 doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"