Age of Ultron The Steve Rogers/Captain America Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noting was wrong with Cap

Weldon handed him fine

He was better than the first avengers

Anyone else just not feeling Evans as cap this time around? Felt sort of detached from the character.

Yeah, that´s because Whedon writes a version of Cap that is what he believes is Cap to him he doesn´t give a F about what happens in the other movies with the character. While the CA writers said Evans has a lot of input in the CA franchise, also the editing in AoU... I was in awe that the actors pulled through the corny dialogue and bad editing; while you see Evans as Cap in TWS, a movie where he put his input, where both Scarlett and him could change and adapt some dialogue to make their relationship work, also fast paced and interesting dialogue and good editing and we get the best version of Cap.

I´m glad the CA writers and Russos are directing the Avengers films, because we will get a consistency with the character from CW to IW, like we had in the character development from TFA to TWS.

Yep. With the Russos and M&M back, Cap is in very good hands. By the end of Phase 3, we could be very well saying Cap is the Avenger who had it best.

I liked happy Cap because it fit the swashbuckling tone of AoU, but I can see why people missed TWS Cap's more sophisticated, mature personality.

Whedon does have a tendency to go overboard with the witty/cheesy one-liners and Cap was probably hurt most by it. I do think the actors have more fun with the role though. Hemsworth said he even asked Whedon to make Thor funnier (which he was!) and looser. I'd imagine Evans enjoyed it too, as Cap seemed a lot closer to Evans' real life personality.

It's not the sophisticated (because he's not) or mature personality (because he's still a bumbling oaf around girls) it's just, when he's fighting, he shouldn't have glee in it, he just goes in and gets the job done. The whole part in AOU where he flings the bike, it was cool, but then when he had his line "it just slipped" that felt off. I just can't see Cap saying something like that during a major take down. His no BS personality that he had in TWS when confronting Fury about the helicarriers, Black Widow at the hospital, the elevator scene, with how Sharon lied to him. He was not only "quit the BS" but he also managed to get some humorous lines while doing these. Heck, even in first Avengers, he had a more commanding presence in there, especially when he got on Tony's case for trying to agitate Banner.

I've got to say, I'm kind of baffled by the negative reactions to Cap in this. I thought he was great, he got to really be the guiding hand, the conscience of the Avengers which he always was in the comics. He was confident, took charge, good natured, but not without his own misgivings. I thought Whedon captured the Cap I read in comics really well. I don't think he was very 'quippy' in this either. The only real battle quip I remember is "you didn't finish!" which I think is a perfectly wry response given the situation. Hardly character breaking.

I've got to say, I'm kind of baffled by the negative reactions to Cap in this. I thought he was great, he got to really be the guiding hand, the conscience of the Avengers which he always was in the comics. He was confident, took charge, good natured, but not without his own misgivings. I thought Whedon captured the Cap I read in comics really well. I don't think he was very 'quippy' in this either. The only real battle quip I remember is "you didn't finish!" which I think is a perfectly wry response given the situation. Hardly character breaking.

oh no, he was great!!! but I think someone else mentioned in the thread, it´s had to measure him after how good the character was in TWS

oh no, he was great!!! but I think someone else mentioned in the thread, it´s had to measure him after how good the character was in TWS

I guess I can understand that. I just think it's odd that people don't appreciate that part of the beauty of a shared universe is that we can experience the same characters through the lens of different films. TWS had a different tone than AOU, but I really enjoyed seeing Cap in this more swashbuckling superhero fare. He was never going to be as involved in this as much as he is in his own franchise though.

Eh, Cap was serious in The Avengers and everyone found him boring and bland. I love Cap but I can admit that. He actually had some personality this time around and I thought it was a big improvement over TA. Every other Avenger is funny/witty. Obviously Stark, Ultron, Banner, Thor, Widow, and even Hawkeye.

Making Cap as serious and no-nonsense as he was in TWS would make him stand out like a sore thumb in the much more fun and lighthearted AoU. He'd come off as the serious, can't-take-a-joke guy that no one likes. This is an ensemble movie and when everyone is entertaining, Cap has to be too. And there are limited lines for everyone. Not to mention that Cap is in a totally different place in TWS. He's lost, lonely, doesn't trust anyone, is in a situation he doesn't feel comfortable in, etc. In AoU, he's finally found his place in the world, saving the world among friends. Makes sense he'd loosen up.

Both Cap and Thor are serious warriors who were both more fun and lighthearted this time around. I know Hemsworth even asked for it. I thought the humor was very well done with them as both were true to character. Thor with his ridiculous, over-the-top Norse speak and Cap with his goody two-shoes "language!" gag.

Sure, Whedon went a bit overboard with Cap in the final battle, but that's what you get with Whedon and it's not that bad. And it's not like Cap wasn't Cap anymore, he had plenty of moments where he showed his TWS side. In the aftermath of Ultron's attack in the HQ, talking to Stark at the farm, his monologue/battle strategy before the big battle, etc.

Cap was Cap, just a bit looser. I'm the first guy who hates too much humor, but I didn't have a problem with Cap in this movie. These guys can be serious in their solos especially with Civil War and Ragnarok coming up, but the Avengers are fun, entertaining event movies and I'm glad Whedon embraced the fun aspect. The majority seemed to love Cap a lot more than in TA, so he made the right choice. I adamantly disagree that Cap should have been as serious as he was in TWS, or that he can't be funny. Have you guys completely forgotten TFA? Steve was always the adorable dork.

Do people know that Whedon did work on TFA especially with Steve's characterization and some of his dialogue and that he also was one of the eyes going over the TWS script? In TFA he has a sense of humor, we see it with Bucky, The Howling Commandos and Erskine but even made snarky remarks to Red Skull.

Steve in The Avengers had been out of the ice for less than two weeks. He's grieving, lost and alone and he's holding on by being as serious and professional as possible and making himself useful. In battle at the the end he's making the "sleepy" joke with Thor and we see his first big smile at the end when Tony lives. This is Steve opening up a bit.

Steve had a sense of humor and in TWS he shows it and has some quips. He's rather playful with both Sam and Natasha. He's trading dating quips with Nat when on the Lemurian Star mission and when Sitwell is being kicked off a roof. And this is a Steve who is still very isolated and lonely who hasn't made any deep connection with new friend until the movie really gets going.

I loved the just slipped joke in reference to admonishing Tony's language and that he knew that he wasn't going to hear the end of it. The running joke felt very much like a shared one between friends who know each other and are comfortable with teasing one another. It wasn't like in Avengers where sometimes the jokes felt like they were at Steve and not with Steve.

Did Steve have some huge character arc in the movie? No. But it did show him a year into being an Avenger and how much more entrenched and comfortable he is with this world and the new friends he's made in it. I thought he was wonderful in this movie and I liked that it showed him enjoying life even when he was in battle.

Last edited:
^Great post! I agree completely, very well said.

Eh, Cap was serious in The Avengers and everyone found him boring and bland. I love Cap but I can admit that. He actually had some personality this time around and I thought it was a big improvement over TA. Every other Avenger is funny/witty. Obviously Stark, Ultron, Banner, Thor, Widow, and even Hawkeye.

Making Cap as serious and no-nonsense as he was in TWS would make him stand out like a sore thumb in the much more fun and lighthearted AoU. He'd come off as the serious, can't-take-a-joke guy that no one likes. This is an ensemble movie and when everyone is entertaining, Cap has to be too. And there are limited lines for everyone. Not to mention that Cap is in a totally different place in TWS. He's lost, lonely, doesn't trust anyone, is in a situation he doesn't feel comfortable in, etc. In AoU, he's finally found his place in the world, saving the world among friends. Makes sense he'd loosen up.

Both Cap and Thor are serious warriors who were both more fun and lighthearted this time around. I know Hemsworth even asked for it. I thought the humor was very well done with them as both were true to character. Thor with his ridiculous, over-the-top Norse speak and Cap with his goody two-shoes "language!" gag.

Sure, Whedon went a bit overboard with Cap in the final battle, but that's what you get with Whedon and it's not that bad. And it's not like Cap wasn't Cap anymore, he had plenty of moments where he showed his TWS side. In the aftermath of Ultron's attack in the HQ, talking to Stark at the farm, his monologue/battle strategy before the big battle, etc.

Cap was Cap, just a bit looser. I'm the first guy who hates too much humor, but I didn't have a problem with Cap in this movie. These guys can be serious in their solos especially with Civil War and Ragnarok coming up, but the Avengers are fun, entertaining event movies and I'm glad Whedon embraced the fun aspect. The majority seemed to love Cap a lot more than in TA, so he made the right choice. I adamantly disagree that Cap should have been as serious as he was in TWS, or that he can't be funny. Have you guys completely forgotten TFA? Steve was always the adorable dork.

I highly doubt everyone found Cap boring and bland in the First Avengers. He ended up being the second favorite for most of the audience, one doesn't get that kind of kudos if everyone thought he was boring and bland. Which he wasn't. And I'm pretty sure it will get stale real quick if everyone was witty and full of jokes. Batman and Superman are probably the most popular and famous superheros of all time, and they didn't have to be witty or joking to get that status. Heck, look at Daredevil right now, he is neither witty or a jokester, and he's already one of the most favorite characters for the Marvel univers. I truly believe what you think is just you, or a small group of people, not everyone like you claim.

Last edited:
Obviously not everyone. I would think that would be obvious. And Cap has always been my favorite by far. But yes, compared to Stark, Hulk, Loki, etc he was pretty bland. That's something I've seen many people say. Not on SHH or among people very into these characters, but definitely in the GA. I could be wrong, but that is my reading.

Where did you get that he was the second favorite of the audience?

You're dealing in absolutes here and assuming way, way too much. Where did I ever say that a character has to be witty to be popular? That's not even close to what I said. I said that when in an ensemble full of interesting, witty characters Cap can come off as bland and boring if they go with the silent strong personality. I was completely fine with how he was in AoU, in fact I found it refreshing. And I have explained in more detail in my previous posts.. I don't see how bringing Batman, Superman, and Daredevil adds to this discussion at all.

Your rebuttal is based off assumptions and obvious truths which don't relate to what I am saying.

People have a problem with Cap in AoU? Wow, I thought the character just continued to roll. Absolutely amazing in TWS and was just as good if not better in AoU.

Cap was great in this movie. I had no complaints. Heck, he took on Ultron by himself for a LONG time! That's impressive.

Even when he was completely outmatched. Atta boy :cap:

Last edited:
Cap was great in this movie. I had no complaints. Heck, he took on Ultron by himself for a LONG time! That's impressive.

Yeah that was the most impressive thing. In TA soloing Loki and going in between Thor and Iron Man, and in AoU going solo with Ultron he was told "don't do it cap, you're no match for them", and he just dives head in and survives fights he has no right to because he uses everything he has and is driven to do the right thing even if it means self sacrifice.
I don't know what some people see but he is hands down the most impressive character in the MCU and written and acted perfectly.

I love me some Chris Evans as Cap. he's da best that made the character his own. Cant wait to see what else he'll do with the role for the next big three films :D

He better do this in infinity wars

2562927-captain_america_mjolnir.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"