The Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation

Even though the producer called it a total reboot, I doubt that it is. Harley's story and character design is based off of the first movie in Birds of Prey, cast members from the first one are back, and Jai Courtney recently posted this on his instagram showing that they are staying with Captain Boomerang's aesthetic from the first movie.
What if they're trying to re-establish things, about where it all fits into the DCEU, now that Affleck and Leto (likely) are gone?

Joker being in Suicide Squad doesn't makes sense anyway.
Joker's whole purpose in the first movie was for him to get Harley back. So it wouldn't even make sense for him to be in this one if Birds of Prey is about Harley splitting from him for good.

If they do go the route where supergirl is this caged alien since time began - marketing best keep it a secret.

So, it's a retcon movie, kinda ignoring the first film or maybe at times contradicting it? when it comes to the DCEU i'm not so much as confused, but just worried how deep the hole they are digging.

Well the way I figure it is that it’s no different then the comics where a book gets canceled and then relaunched with a new creative team but still being in the same universe.

Which is the case with this new film with the cast from the original returning and James bringing in new characters.

I’m one of the few that actually liked the first film even with its flaws but I’m glad James isn’t ignoring it. I’m looking forward to his new take on this franchise though. :up:

I always said, the original SS movie should have been based arounf the 24 hours of the doomsday attack in BvS.

Amanda waller assembles a team, they go through training and then told to go back to jail and wait - this could be weeks to months - then boom, they are called in to go retrieve a subject from strykers island. They are told there is a top secret prison there and the objective is to get in, get them out and not get crushed by doomsday - they have one hour to do it when a chopper will be waiting for a one minute window.

So we see them head their, as in the back ground, foreground, we see the events of BvS play out, similar to the start of that movie with zod.

We have a scene where deadshot see's batman, does he go for him, or stick to the plan etc. The nuke goes off in the sky, all these cool nods to bvs. We see a blast from WW in the horizon, we see the bat wing fly by.. at times they just stop and think 'what is going on'.
They finally get there, the prison is on lock down, but it's a mess inside - it's gruesome, there are some cool villains from superman's rogue gallery, a nod to what he has been doing for the past 18 months - then they find who they are looking for - it's Amanda Waller and a sedated .

They get out, obviously annoyed, they go off, as they look back and see the city quiet... is doomsday dead??

Credits roll

Post credit scene.. Waller is talking to Rick, she introduces him to Bronze Tiger and throws him a file about 'onslaught'.

This would have been awesome

Joker's whole purpose in the first movie was for him to get Harley back. So it wouldn't even make sense for him to be in this one if Birds of Prey is about Harley splitting from him for good.
Exactly...he'll probably still show up elsewhere tho. I can see him being in another offshoot film similar to Birds of Prey. Maybe Batgirl?

If ‘the joker’ performs well, would Leto really wanna come back in and carry on?? I feel like the dceu will collapse in on itself after BOP, ww1984, TSS and AM sequel. They will start rebooting and adding it to the Reeves universe

it's in a continuity snarl for sure, but them doing a full reboot at this stage is unlikely.

When Reeves Batman drops, if it's a success, i feel they will fast track a sequel, focus on keeing it seperate from the DCEU and then they will (as it will be around 2021) focus on reboots of superman, green lantern, flash, martian manhunter, other heroes and then once the dust has settled a new WW, AM. They will want it all tied together and i don't blame them.

BOP just looks a mess, SS will make some money i assume, WW1984 looks like it will be another hit... then they will change tune on these characters and reboot.

When Reeves Batman drops, if it's a success, i feel they will fast track a sequel, focus on keeing it seperate from the DCEU and then they will (as it will be around 2021) focus on reboots of superman, green lantern, flash, martian manhunter, other heroes and then once the dust has settled a new WW, AM. They will want it all tied together and i don't blame them.

BOP just looks a mess, SS will make some money i assume, WW1984 looks like it will be another hit... then they will change tune on these characters and reboot.

The only main problem with DCEU continuity right now is with Birds of Prey and Gotham City Sirens, since their characters interlap with the Batman universe the most. I am curious how they're are going to handle the Batgirl and Catwoman characters in all of that.

Suicide Squad can continue doing its own thing, using more obscure characters the way it is doing now. WW, Aquaman, Flash, Superman etc. can all keep doing their own thing for a long while yet. WW and Aquaman will likely get trilogies, same with Flash if that gets up and running (!) That will be using Ezra from the "old" continuity too. It's not like they can wait until everything's over to reboot since each of them started at different times. They'll be waiting forever. I think they're just going to keep going separately for a long while yet. I don't see why they should reboot every time an actor leaves.

But it's too bad that Amanda Waller won't be dealing much with characters like Superman, Batman and the JL the way she does in the comics and TV shows. It looks like she has been relegated to only the SS movies.

I think when Flash gets his movie it will a Flashpoint flick and he will be responsible for the new continuity

I think when Flash gets his movie it will a Flashpoint flick and he will be responsible for the new continuity

Maybe he can go through a portal and ask Matt Reeves for permission to use Batman-related characters in other movies?

I really doubt that Robert Pattinson will be interested in hanging around once the Matt Reeves' Bat-trilogy finishes. And I have my doubts about Reeves' Batman in DCEU.
Then again the speed with which Matt Reeves has been working, I doubt he will ever complete his trilogy.

Last edited:
I really doubt that Robert Pattinson will be interested in hanging around once the Matt Reeves' Bat-trilogy finishes. And I have my doubts about Reeves' Batman in DCEU.
Then again the speed Matt Reeves has been working, I doubt he will ever complete his trilogy.

Most actors in the DCEU are only sticking around for their own trilogy. That's par for the course.

It's hard to see Pattinson doing stuff outside his Bat trilogy. But seeing what happened with Affleck (and with WW when she stepped out of her own solo movies into JL) I don't really mind so much for now.

All these actors: Momoa, Gadot, Ezra Miller, Robert Pattinson...all having their characters in solo movie trilogies. All starting at different times. Some wrapping up sooner, some later. Still quite a few years away for all.

They'll probably do cross overs with AM and WW first when they're done and if they do well and when others are done they might be happy to sign up for a full on team up film by then, there must be hype and demand for RP to team up with Gal and Jason etc if Reeves' films are successful and mainstream have forgotten about the first JL, we're talking about possibly 10 years post JL.

It'd be interesting to see if TSS/BOP has easter eggs or bonus scenes with Batman's characters, especially TSS, it's released right after The Batman one have to wonder if it's deliberate and if they're trying to be creative with it...I still wonder with all the delays with Batgirl (not even in BOP) and Nightwing etc would it be Reeves setting it up for them first...

If JJ signs up one day I am sure those 2 will try to hook up somehow, such an opportunity for old friends and colleagues to work together in a universe like this

Once Flash movie gets going, I think he will be the one appearing across many DC movies and crossovers.

This is the first big-budget DC movie after Aquaman as Shazam, Joker and Birds of Prey all had budgets under $100 mil.

I think Suicide Squad 2 will have a big budget that much I can guarantee

Shazam did well with its budget, I would never have known it was under 100 mil

EFHPm0NWsAEzQyF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"