The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - Part 136

Status
Not open for further replies.
gillberg.jpg

He's a symbol, that we don't have to be afraid of men of steel like you.

You do. You really do.

Who is this Gil?

What if Superman took Bane's venom? What would he be like? He would be immensely strong and dangerous.

Weird, I log in after taking a break, and boom, I'm the topic of discussion in the TDKR General Discussion Thread. I'm flattered.

It's not who he is underneath, but what he does that defines Gill.

Well, tonight at the theater was pretty disheartening. Just makes me even more disillusioned about sitting in a theater with other people.

First of all, a woman and her husband brought their two children (both less than 5 years old). Both of the kids were talking constantly and loudly. Finally the woman took them out of the movie after about 30 minutes. Thank goodness they didn't come back. The guy stayed and watched the rest of the movie.

Meanwhile, I had about 4 teenage dudes sitting next to me and I swear each of them had the bladder of an 80 year old. Each one got up to go to the bathroom during the movie, so that was 8 times I had to get up so they could walk past my seat. Freaking ridiculous.

Does anyone know if Gill liked the movie? I know Rag was underwhelmed. What ever happened to Rocketman? Did he like it?

I noticed something interesting about the critical reception of Nolan's past three films. The phrasing in most articles discussing Rises (primarily in terms of box office) labels it as receiving a significantly inferior reaction than The Dark Knight did.

The facts:

The Dark Knight holds an all critics percentage of 94% with an average rating of 8.5. This is a very loving score. The top critics rating is a 91% and average of 8/10.

Inception has 86% and an 8/10, with a top critics of 80% and 7.4/10. Inception is consistently viewed as a hugely critically acclaimed film, and was represented as such in similar articles mentioned to the ones above (I tracked Inception's box office religiously).

The Dark Knight Rises has an 87%, and an 8/10, with top critics 75% and 7.9/10. Note: it has one percent higher percentage and the same average rating as Inception's general rating, and .4 higher in the average rating than Inception, despite being 5% lower. It's pretty puzzling Rises isn't first and foremost being discussed as a hugely critically acclaimed film when it's critical reception is as warm if not warmer than Inception's.

What's the most significant fact of the above is that despite the Rises top critic rating being significantly lower then The Dark Knight's (17%), it's only .1 lower in the average. This indicates the 75% of reviews that gave Rises a fresh rating awarded it a much higher average rating than it did The Dark Knight, so as to balance out the 25% who did not to a 7.9/10. The top critics are the ones (obviously so) viewed with esteem and credibility, and the ones that get the most attention from those seeking out reviews.

Basically, The Dark Knight Rises was received as warmly if not more so than Inception, a film viewed as hugely critically successful with glowing reviews from a wide number of publications, and while neither Inception nor Rises touch The Dark Knight's general rating, Rises is far above Inception's and damned close to Rises' despite the huge difference in percent, so it sure as hell should be viewed as a massive critical success.

I'm tired and that was probably half incoherent and the half redundant, oh well.

-Vader

The Dark Knight Rises' ignores real football

Previews for “The Dark Knight Rises” have been running for months, hinting that the movie would be packed with football action. So I joined a few of my die-hard football fan friends, dressed in jerseys, and hit the local movie theater.

We left extremely disappointed, wishing we had stayed at home watching ESPN or the NFL Network.

Simply, “The Dark Knight Rises” is full of errors. Here are just a few examples of where it fell apart.

While Nolan’s movies had some entertaining moments and did remarkably well at the box office, the many football failings in the finale make it hard to see Nolan’s series as anything less than a complete and total failure.

Does anyone know if Gill liked the movie? I know Rag was underwhelmed. What ever happened to Rocketman? Did he like it?

I don't know...

Rocketman predicted this movie would be the second coming, so lets hope he liked it.

What did Ragnorak have to say about it exactly? I always enjoyed lurking and reading his posts on the film prior to release. Infact i'm going to investigate..

What did Ragnorak have to say about it exactly? I always enjoyed lurking and reading his posts on the film prior to release. Infact i'm going to investigate..

What happened to him? Not seen his posts for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"