The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - Part 156

She was a pitch-perfect portrayal of the modern Catwoman.

I have no clue why so many dislike her as an actress, She seems like a lovely person

She was a pitch-perfect portrayal of the modern Catwoman.

I have no clue why so many dislike her as an actress, She seems like a lovely person
She's probably my favourite Catwoman, but generally speaking, to be fair, someone being a lovely person is not really a reason to like them as an actor. :oldrazz:

It irks me that the takeaway narrative that I keep reading is "See! We could've had Riddler and the film would've sucked less!!!!!$@$!@$!"

Still annoys me to no end that this film is dragged like it's The Phantom Menace and called 'panned'.
Nothings says "panned" more than a film that has an 87% tomatoscore, a 90% audience score, a 78% metascore, an A Cinemascore and is in the 60 best movies of all time in IMDB. :o

It irks me that the takeaway narrative that I keep reading is "See! We could've had Riddler and the film would've sucked less!!!!!$@$!@$!"

Still annoys me to no end that this film is dragged like it's The Phantom Menace and called 'panned'.

It really feels like those kinds of fans were hoping the final film of TDK trilogy would essentially just be "The Batman". (Villain is the Riddler and he's trying to expose some kind of dark secret, Bruce is lost in the monster of Batman to the point where he has little to no interest in a public life and the ending is Bruce resolving to soldier on now secure in the knowledge that Gotham will one day improve because of what he's doing as Batman with someone else (probably still Catwoman) telling him it's a fruitless endeavor that's gonna get him killed)

Haha, my take is more like...Matt Reeves sure is fortunate the Nolans didn't get their hands on The Riddler, because it no doubt would've been incredible and probably taken Riddler off the board to use as a main baddie in a reboot.

But I think that kinda stuff just works out the way it's meant to. And Reeves' take on The Riddler kind of proved their point about how it gets a little too close to Heath's territory for it to have worked as a direct follow-up to TDK.

The internet sure is weird. I dislike that I see so much hate on these films now. From Bales voice (which I really don’t think is much of an issue outside of a couple lines, mainly in Rises), to people saying TDKR is a ‘bad’ film, it just reminds me of how the internet and message boards aren’t a reflection of real life. It’s easy to forget that sometimes.

This trilogy will forever be highly regarded.

In 10 years or so, the internet bubble will come back around to loving these movies. If people can soften on the Schumacher films, they'll likely do so for TDKR.

Even 66 and Burton went through a phase where it became cool to nitpick them.

I think the new crticisms from younglings on the internet towards these films is, to put it bluntly, due to jealousy. There seems to be a section of the fandom that hates how beloved the trilogy still is so they try to find ways to discredit them and it's mainly coming from the Reeves Batman stans. Even criticizing promo pics from the movies. It's so annoying, but not that surprising considering these people were like 7 when TDKR was released. The reception, influence, and love for Nolans trilogy will last for generations, no matter what some teenager on X says. They also really tell on themselvesd about how they don't know much about Batman or his world pre Frank Miller. All the criticisms of how Nolans gotham looks, when Gotham was essentially portrayed as a normal city in the 70's.

When I said before about how one of the "popular" Batman accounts on X said that TDKR is the worst Batman film ever made, and she even dislikes the Nolan trilogy as a whole but won't give out specific reasons. That's an example of what I'm talking about. These people only care about Aesthetics, and I'm convinced of that now.

Last edited:
I think the new crticisms from younglings on the internet towards these films is, to put it bluntly, due to jealousy. There seems to be a section of the fandom that hates how beloved the trilogy still is so they try to find ways to discredit them and it's mainly coming from the Reeves Batman stans.

I wasn't gonna say anything about Reeves stans today, but....yeah, even before TB came out, there's been a "Loki wants to outdo Thor" vibe coming from some of them.

I have to say, it was hilarious watching people gas up how much of a "true fan" Reeves was compared to other Batman directors, only to find out that Reeves pretty much had a similar background to Nolan when it came to Batman fandom.

Unrelated— I posted this over in The Batman forums too, but I recently got a chance to take the Warner Bros. studio tour while on a trip to LA. Highly recommend it if any of y’all are ever out there. Loads of Batman stuff. It really puts into perspective what a big and important part of the studio’s history the character is, and obviously the trilogy has a big presence there. There’s an opportunity to actually get on the Bat-pod! It’s for a cheesy green screen video where they superimpose you into the chase scene from TDK, which I had no desire to buy haha, but it was still cool. My tour got to see the soundstage where Returns, Forever and B&R all shot. Just a really fun experience overall, kinda makes you feel a bit closer to the magic and the craziness that is filmmaking. Well worth the $75, you get your money’s worth.

I wasn't gonna say anything about Reeves stans today, but....yeah, even before TB came out, there's been a "Loki wants to outdo Thor" vibe coming from some of them.

I have to say, it was hilarious watching people gas up how much of a "true fan" Reeves was compared to other Batman directors, only to find out that Reeves pretty much had a similar background to Nolan when it came to Batman fandom.
Yup. I really try not to single people or fandoms out, especially because I'm totally a fan of what Reeves has done and is doing with Batman. But this constant need to outdo or better Nolan is bizzare to me, and it absolutely stems from insecurity over their preferred version. And that's the thing, you CAN prefer another version. I know some people that still think Batman 89 is the best Batman film. I don't agree, but I'm fine with it. The problem is these people willfully ignore or try to rewrite the reception to Nolans trilogy, and it's incredibly frustrating as someone who was there to experience the zeitgeist of that trilogy. They trash TDKR so badly that people consider it underrated. A critically acclaimed film is not underrated.

No matter how much people attempt to discredit this trilogy, it's legacy speaks for itself.

I just don’t understand the need to crap on one version to uplift the other (unless it’s the Snyder version :p I kid, I kid….kinda)

I loved the Reeves version because it was a bit more ‘stylized’ compared to the Nolan version. A nice blend of Burton and Nolan.
That doesn’t mean I dislike the Nolan series any less. It wasn’t overly stylized because it wasn’t meant to be. It was very much “what if this existed in our world’, and Nolan pulled that off perfectly.

The Burton films will always be my absolute favorites, but that’s a very specific take. I love all the versions. And as time goes on, my appreciation for the Nolan series grows more and more. Oddly enough, it’s the series I now think the most of in terms of the ‘what if’s’. I think a lot about what a Nolan version of {insert character} would be like.

Batman is such a great character because we can have so many different versions and they all offer something unique, while still sticking to the core of the character.

And I forever remain in the camp that thinks TDKR is a GREAT film. I do not understand the majority of the criticisms. Any film that followed a cultural phenomenon like TDK was always going to have a tough time living up to that. I love that they went for something out of the box and truly made it their own, unique take on the character. How often do these kinds of films and characters get a proper ending? I love that Nolan’s Batman did.

I feel like that whole TDKR being dragged through the mud thing is a bit of a magnifying glass effect, no?
Sure, it's not as beloved as TDK, but the film still seems generally well liked to me. And I say that as one of those who found it immediately (kind of) disappointing.

Besides, trolls and deliberately edgy messages aside, people have the right to not find the film well made without automatically being at fault or assuming they wanted something else.
Personally, I didn't have any particular wishes and found the story of Bane putting Gotham under siege to be a perfectly decent and exciting promise. It's just that, regardless of the film before, I genuinely didn't find that third movie very well written on its own (and no, I'm not talking about the lame "how did Bruce get back to Gotham?" nitpicking, I don't care for that)...
That said, even if I'm not 100% fan of it, the conclusion of Bruce's arc made sense in the context of this take and I do think it was well done.

Anyway, I won't deny that people on the net can lack nuance, and I probably don't hang out on social media enough to really know what's being said about the Nolan trilogy.
But like others said, in the long run, it will surely always be held in high esteem, and rightly so.

If anything, and this is just my experience on and off the Internet (and who knows how much the magnifying glass effect can be there too), I'd say that a much more recent Batman movie seems to me much more polarizing. And this despite its good numbers and whatever audience scores... but that's off-topic (and kind of a taboo subject... probably ^^').

Last edited:
I’ll tell you what…I really don’t let that stuff bother me at this point. I’ve just kind of embraced/accepted that part of getting older is simply shaking your head at younger generations, haha. Which is easy to do when so much of the generation below you has a serious case of Tik Tok/Twitter-brain. I don’t even blame them really, social media is weapons-grade addictive and incentivizes all sorts of bad behaviors. In that context, some Gen Z hot takes about Nolan’s Batman movies are the least of my concerns. Even though it’s admittedly annoying.

Do any of you have any theories/head canons for how the story continued post-Rises?

I always like to imagine Blake's Batman wound up fighting this world's versions of most of Batman's rogues gallery. With an inevitable Joker return in there somewhere.

As much as I wanted Bruce to have a happy ending, see him returning at some point would be cool. Even though it would be his 3rd 'rise' :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"