The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - Part 156

You know it's only a matter of time before we get a comic book continuation of the Nolanverse, like the new Batman 89 series. Will be very cool.

Do any of you have any theories/head canons for how the story continued post-Rises?

I actually spent one of my first sessions trying out ChatGPT brainstorming movie ideas-- one of them being a hypothetical fourth Nolan Batman movie. :funny: It was pretty silly, and I don't think we really got anywhere substantial, but it was also a lot of fun just to throw stuff at the wall and see if any decent ideas arose. I had it suggest a bunch of titles, and the one that stood out to me was "The Dark Knight Resurgent", which I thought had a cool ring to it.

The broad strokes of it were treating it like a legacy sequel. Picking up the story decades after TDKR. Blake is still Gotham's protector, but the story isn't from his point of view. Instead it's more of a hero's journey for a young character named Damian, lost and traveling the world like Bruce was at the beginning of Begins. Obviously there would be a familial connection implied to Bruce because of the comics, but it wouldn't be immediately clear if he's actually Bruce's son-- or if he is, who is mother is. IE- He could be Bruce and Selina's son, or perhaps Talia survived and gave birth. Or another descendent of the Wayne family. Didn't get far enough to decide on that.

The movie would basically about themes of legacy, with Damian eventually encountering Blake when he arrives in Gotham. So right there you'd be dealing with Blake, Bruce's chosen protege, vs. his potential bloodline. There's conflict there with both of them struggling with their own connections to the legacy and who is the 'true' heir, etc. Obviously Damian would have a lot of issues he'd be working through, given that he's a loner seemingly estranged from his family. But Blake would become a mentor for him and the movie would be them forging a partnership. Like the comics though, I think Damian would have a really dangerous side to him that concerns Blake. Kind of like an Anakin/Obi-Wan thing.

The villain would be Hugo Strange. I was thinking that he would be a great puppet master for this story, trying to manipulate Damian and Blake to compete against each other for the mantle. His potential endgame could be to lure Bruce out of hiding and claim the mantle for himself. There are a bunch of potential directions I think you could take it from there, but that was the gist of it.

Obviously these are just rough ideas, but I think that is kind of my head canon for at leas the broad strokes of how I'd want to re-enter that world. I'd want it to be through the eyes of a new, younger character and kind of expand the Bat-family-- not just the adventures of John Blake. If you were going to tell a story immediately after TDKR that's one thing, but I already think that ship has sailed given that the movie is 12 years old already. JGL is already older than Bale was in TDKR, so I think it would make more sense to see him in more of a mentor role.

Do any of you have any theories/head canons for how the story continued post-Rises?

Blake either becomes Batman, or goes by Nightwing instead.

His main love interest is an adult Barbara Gordon, who comes back to Gotham to repair her relationship with Jim. At some point, she becomes Oracle.

Blake's rogues gallery is a mix of Nightwing villains, 1 or 2 Titan villains, Tim Drake villains, and villains from Dick's tenure as Batman. Professor Pyg would basically be his Scarecrow, the villain who keeps popping up.

Bruce never comes back to Gotham. He and Selina travel the world, enjoying life.

I roughly jotted down this idea last year. No real thought behind it, just a short little idea. Tbh I don’t know exactly how Poison Ivy would fit into it all, I just wanted to throw her in there. Though, I also had an idea to put her in a hypothetical Catwoman spin off, which would have most likely taken place before Rises. Maybe have her and Selina be friends at first, kind of like Barbara and Pam in the ‘The Batman’ animated series.

Nightwing (2015) (Can’t think of a good title)

Director: Christopher Nolan

Writers: Jonathan Nolan, David Goyer, Christopher Nolan

Score: Hans Zimmer

Cast:

John Robin Blake/Nightwing: Joseph Gordon Levitt

Jim Gordon: Gary Oldman

Alfred Pennyworth: Michael Caine

Lucius Fox: Morgan Freeman

Luke Fox: Chadwick Boseman

Jervis Tetch/ Mad Hatter: Andy Serkis

Pamela Isley/Poison Ivy: Emily Blunt

Jennifer Holly Robinson: Juno Temple

Cameos:

Bruce Wayne: Christian Bale

Selina Kyle: Anne Hathaway

Jonathan Crane/Scarecrow: Cillian Murphy

Story Synopsis: John Blake has taken up the position of Gotham’s Protector, but felt that the mantle of Batman was appropriately retired and takes up the codename of Nightwing.

Along with the Batcave, Blake has also inherited access to some of Bruce Wayne’s close group of associates. With both Alfred Pennyworth and Lucius Fox on the verge of retirement, Luke Fox, takes over the position of The Dark Knight’s equipment supplier and right hand man.

A string of strange kidnappings arise in Gotham, reminding citizens of the harrowing events caused by the Joker, years prior. These events are being carried out by Jervis Tetch, one of the only Arkham Inmates that remain at large following the events of Batman Begins (2005).

Desperate for help in dealing with the ever-growing crisis, Blake turns to Jen Robinson, his former girlfriend. Like Blake, she also grew up in Gothams foster system.

Jen has enthusiastically taken on the role of ‘The Cat’, despite Selina Kyle’s insistence that she move on from her life in Gotham and start anew.

Without the Batman, can Nightwing fill the void left by him and protect Gotham from another criminal mad man?

Meanwhile, we are introduced to Pamela Isley. A researcher of medicinal and hallucinogenic effects derived from plants. Pamela starts researching and developing a potentially harmful substance with mind controlling properties, based loosely on Jonathan Crane’s fear gas.

Last edited:
Just saw this post and can say I was in it!

I’m the center guy wearing glasses at the 1:17 mark.

The explosions going off around me was unreal. Also those things hurt! A piece of it got onto my hand and gave me a minor scar for a couple of days lol. They’re hot.

One awesome thing was seeing the details. There were literally writing pads with the logo for the Gotham Stock Exchange. Audiences never saw that, but we did. It was amazing seeing how intricate all of those minor details were.

There was another minor scene I was selected for where me and another guy were walking up the stairs. That scene wasn’t used. Nolan directed us in it which was beyond surreal. Just establishing shot type stock footage.

At the time I had no idea who Glen Powell was. I actually thought he was either a new actor or an extra that was promoted to be an actor in it for that scene since he didn’t have many lines (and that’s sometimes known to happen).

The first time seeing it in Imax I didn’t see myself at all. Second time I realized my face was one of the largest things on the screen since I was almost exact center lol.

If there’s any questions about the set or Nolan I can perhaps try to answer to the best of my ability.

Last edited:
Just saw this post and can say I was in it!

I’m the center guy wearing glasses at the 1:17 mark.

The explosions going off around me was unreal. Also those things hurt! A piece of it got onto my hand and gave me a minor scar for a couple of days lol. They’re hot.

One awesome thing was seeing the details. There were literally writing pads with the logo for the Gotham Stock Exchange. Audiences never saw that, but we did. It was amazing seeing how intricate all of those minor details were.

There was another minor scene I was selected for where me and another guy were walking up the stairs. That scene wasn’t used. Nolan directed us in it which was beyond surreal. Just establishing shot type stock footage.

At the time I had no idea who Glen Powell was. I actually thought he was either a new actor or an extra that was promoted to be an actor in it for that scene since he didn’t have many lines (and that’s sometimes known to happen).

The first time seeing it in Imax I didn’t see myself at all. Second time I realized my face was one of the largest things on the screen since I was almost exact center lol.

If there’s any questions about the set or Nolan I can perhaps try to answer to the best of my ability.

Wow!!! This is so cool!!! How long did it take to film that scene? Did you take one of those notepads? Hahahaha

I’m seeing rises again next week. Is anybody else seeing any of the trilogy being re released ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"