The Wolverine The 'The Wolverine' Box Office Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kedrell

Fork&SpoonOperator
Reaction score
Have your say. How much world wide do you think this film will make. Personally, I think about $350-400M.

I would say around $400M. I can't see this making more then Last Stand, but maybe a little more then the first X-Men Origins.

3D will definitely the box-office performance especially when it comes to international markets. 3D really inflates the prices of the tickets/

Domestic - $150 million
Domestic+International - $450 million

Around $400-450 million WW. I believe it will drop domestically and increase international.

I reckon it'll get $500 mil but the critical reception will be amazing. If the last Wolverine film was acceptable it would make more but that might deter people.

I think around 300 million.Wow you guys are pretty generous :D I hope you're right & I'm wrong

300 WW is my bet.

Hopefully less than 500m.

But if it does more, at least we could say DOFP will do much much more than that

Why would you want it to gross less if you're not hoping for Marvel to get the rights back?

Xmen films typically don't do gang busters.

The reviews and WOM are going to have to be stellar. First Class had the reveiews, without the star power. This has the star power, but wont be enough if the movie sucks. Even after the success of First Class this franchise is still in a very fragile state.

WW numbers Im thinking at least $450-500. It will def outgross Origins and has a good release date this summer. Even if reviews are low its still gonna do solid. With good reviews it could get pretty high up there.

Last edited:
It should do gangbusters in the Asian territories.

Around $400-450 million WW. I believe it will drop domestically and increase international.

I think this is a possibility. Unless The Wolverine is better able to differentiate itself, I think it could earn less in the US than X-Men Origins but still do better in the expanding foreign market.

Last edited:
Why would you want it to gross less if you're not hoping for Marvel to get the rights back?

I think he didn't want this movie to be so successful because there's a possibility that FOX will greenlight another Wolverine movie. FOX greenlighted the 2nd Wolverine movie when Origins got $80 million during its opening weekend. So what would happen if The Wolverine earned more than $500 million, FOX would definitely greenlight another Wolverine movie.

I think he didn't want this movie to be so successful because there's a possibility that FOX will greenlight another Wolverine movie. FOX greenlighted the 2nd Wolverine movie when Origins got $80 million during its opening weekend. So what would happen if The Wolverine earned more than $500 million, FOX would definitely greenlight another Wolverine movie.

Quite honestly, I'm starting to think there's little more that can be done with Wolverine in a solo movie.

To me, the trailer for The Wolverine was the most disappointing of all the X-Men trailers (though I liked parts of it) and the trailer where Jackman is the least like Wolverine. He seemed more like Hugh Jackman, walking tall and upright in a smart black suit with neat hair. Some of it could have been real-life footage of Jackman himself attending a restaurant or premiere in LA or Tokyo.

It just doesn't feel like he is truly inhabiting the role. He's just being a classic leading man and I'm seeing the actor more than the character.

Of course, that's based on only a brief teaser but it didn't feel exciting, edgy or original enough. It might sit well alongside the tone and style of the other X-Men films but it doesn't really stand out as more than a fun action blockbuster. What's its selling point?

^ I don't know he definately inhabits the Wolverine role in the fighting scenes shown in the trailer. Especially the shots of him fighting those ninja and that swordsman that cuts the side of his cheek.

Hugh looked angry and Wolverine-like during the fight scenes in the X-Men Origins trailer too but that movie was pretty much Hugh Jackman making friends with a bunch of new mutants. Every film has Hugh just acts more and more like himself and with his popularity I doubt this trend is going to be reversed.

Wolverine in origins was pretty much Superman with claws, and I'm not saying that just because we saw the Kents in their farm aiding (dying for) him. He was so morally uptight and singularly righteous, it's a wonder why striker even wanted him for his program. Even in the opening sequence where you saw him participate in several wars, he does nothing the average soldier doesn't do. It was Sabertooth who was being the ruthless one. We are told how much of an animal Wolverine is but never once shown. Even the pivotal scene of rage incarnate Wolverine right after his operation has the far superior flashbacks of X2 casting its long, harrow, and brutal shadow over it.

14. The Wolverine (July 26): The most popular character from the X-Men franchise makes his second solo appearance this Summer; the first outing, X-Men Origin: Wolverine earned a very good $179.9 million in 2009 but was for the most part met with tepid reactions. In an effort to win back some people, The Wolverine takes him to Japan in the big-screen adaptation of one of the character's most-popular comic book arcs. While that's going to go a long way with intense fanboys, general audiences aren't likely to care much, and lower domestic grosses seem inevitable. (Domestic: $125 million, Foreign: $250 million)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3675&p=.htm

Oh great now the people like Youngprime will be coming to X-Men boards to start bragging on Boxoffice mojo prediction.

That would be a domestic bomb If that happened.Now do people really think First Class with no stars could do better than Hugh Jackman as Wolverine topping a film.

Well Box Office Mojo is sometimes wrong when it comes to their prediction about superhero movies.

With First Class, they predicted it was gonna get more 69 million at the opening weekend. Outside X-Men, the predictions about The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers were way off. I couldn't believe when they predicted that The Dark Knight Rises was gonna be the #1 movie of the year and the Avengers won't cross the $400 million mark.

I do think at the international boxoffice, The Wolverine will get more than $250million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"