The Walking Dead The Walking Dead Season 4 Episode 4 "Indifference"

I do find it odd that there are no military remnants left. I figured those soldiers encountered by the Governor might be part of some larger group.

The military would presumably hold out the longest, since they have top secret, isolated facilities, not to mention nuclear aircraft carriers.

What I've found odd about this show, is that the first season really felt the grandest in scope. The whole deal with the CDC, and getting to the root of the virus.

Pretty much everyone seems to have given up on finding a cure, or even figuring out what the source of the virus is.

Yet another f'n awesome episode overall,I'm mixed on Carol's banishment though,Great preview for next week!

DyeLorean said:
I was wondering what's the role of the government/s in all of this. How the major cities are, etc etc. Is there a glimpse of that in the comics? Do we know something more about the 'outside world'?

That was explained in Season 1, I believe. The "government" advised everyone to move into the major cities believing the "disease" could be contolled best that way, but that strategy backfired big time. Cities are teeming with the end result.

Intorducing us to the couple in the house, and only resolving the fate of the girl is curious.........leaves a hanging thread....gotta be purposeful given the screen time they got.

Thought sure that Carol as she was leaving would come across the guy with the dislocated shoulder. He would go with her, thereby showing that she is going to gather members to her own group, and hinting that we will see her and her group again.

I was wondering what's the role of the government/s in all of this. How the major cities are, etc etc. Is there a glimpse of that in the comics? Do we know something more about the 'outside world'?

I think after seeing Atlanta the general rule was to avoid large cities. If I remember right, in the comic there are characters that make it back east from as far as Texas who reiterate that they only made it this far by avoiding populated areas.

I do find it odd that there are no military remnants left. I figured those soldiers encountered by the Governor might be part of some larger group.

The military would presumably hold out the longest, since they have top secret, isolated facilities, not to mention nuclear aircraft carriers.

What I've found odd about this show, is that the first season really felt the grandest in scope. The whole deal with the CDC, and getting to the root of the virus.

Pretty much everyone seems to have given up on finding a cure, or even figuring out what the source of the virus is.

The military would probably have devolved into smaller militias at this point. We see remnants here and there but no central government. Much like the soldiers we saw encountering the Governor, they aren't well organized outside their own groups with a larger military presence controlling them.

Isolated facilities probably exist but those that are obviously top secret, hidden or otherwise unknown won't be revealed because they're built not to be noticed. Most likely they'll either have run out of supplies or been exposed to the infected as well in some way and be abandoned or even more protective of their hideout to prevent being overrun by either walkers or desperate people.

Aircraft carriers and the like might prove to be safe havens for a limited number of people but like everyone else, eventually they'll need to do a supply run which exposes them to potential infection as well. It would be interesting to see how that works out in this world. A nuclear powered ship wouldn't have to worry as much over fuel as a more traditional vessel but it still needs food, water and other supplies to keep going.

Being entirely in Georgia and away from the coast, we don't know what is going on at sea or even outside the state but we can assume that with over a year's time gone by there is no rescue coming from anyone else. No one has tried to sterilize the spread of infection either further hinting there is no central government left here or anywhere else. If there were, they aren't taking chances but something like this doesn't respect borders.

Intorducing us to the couple in the house, and only resolving the fate of the girl is curious.........leaves a hanging thread....gotta be purposeful given the screen time they got.
My guess is that down the road Carl is going to cross path with that guy and be like "Where did you get my father's watch?"

I don't think he's that bad..yet,Definitely borderline though

The military would probably have devolved into smaller militias at this point. We see remnants here and there but no central government. Much like the soldiers we saw encountering the Governor, they aren't well organized outside their own groups with a larger military presence controlling them.

Isolated facilities probably exist but those that are obviously top secret, hidden or otherwise unknown won't be revealed because they're built not to be noticed. Most likely they'll either have run out of supplies or been exposed to the infected as well in some way and be abandoned or even more protective of their hideout to prevent being overrun by either walkers or desperate people.

Aircraft carriers and the like might prove to be safe havens for a limited number of people but like everyone else, eventually they'll need to do a supply run which exposes them to potential infection as well. It would be interesting to see how that works out in this world. A nuclear powered ship wouldn't have to worry as much over fuel as a more traditional vessel but it still needs food, water and other supplies to keep going.

Being entirely in Georgia and away from the coast, we don't know what is going on at sea or even outside the state but we can assume that with over a year's time gone by there is no rescue coming from anyone else. No one has tried to sterilize the spread of infection either further hinting there is no central government left here or anywhere else. If there were, they aren't taking chances but something like this doesn't respect borders.

Thing is tho......everyone is infected......there is no "virus spreading"...and when a person dies from anything....the virus creates....walkers, biters, skin-eaters etc.

Question is would an aircraft carrier, sub, seperated military base, etc. know this. Surely members over time would die form various causes. Would the threat the dead be dealt with properly or would ignorance also be an ultimate downfall?

Rick's group is aware of this dynamic, but only because the CDC guy clued Rick into it.

Last edited:
Being bit is the threat I mean. Despite everyone being infected, getting bit guarantees you die fast and turn into one unless they can amputate or somehow cut out the infected bite area.

Although it is a good question of how smart is it to be in an isolated, contained area like an aircraft carrier or an underground base, when for whatever reason someone dies and turns. That can easily backfire and cause higher casualties.

Interesting read
http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/w...sumed-tyreese-would-kill-carol-185132039.html
'Walking Dead' Shocker Explained: Producer Weighs In on Rick's Motive

Carol (Melissa Suzanne McBride) and Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) in "The Walking Dead"Warning: Possible spoilers ahead.

The Ricktatorship is alive and Ricktatoring. In one of the more surprising moments of "The Walking Dead" so far, Rick Grimes banished admitted murderer Carol from the prison group in Sunday's "Indifference."

With the idea of safety-in-numbers clearly taking a back seat to Rick's bigger concerns — like whether or not Carol could be trusted not to kill others, including Rick's children — at the infection-overrun jail, "The Walking Dead" executive producer Gale Anne Hurd talked to Yahoo TV about Sunday night's episode, and reiterated a warning offered by series stars like Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus: There are lots more twists ahead, and you will not see them coming. "I assure you of that," Hurd says.

[Related: Most Shocking 'Walking Dead' Moments So Far]

This episode, with Rick's big decision about Carol, felt as monumental, as game changing, as some of the big character deaths.

Yes. We do tend to make our fourth episode of the season … it's become sort of a tradition that something explosive happens in the fourth episode. Last season it was Lori dying and T Dog dying. This season it's equally monumental, but just in a completely different way.

Did Rick know when he left the prison with Carol on the supply run that he wasn't going to bring her back?

I think he wanted to see how she handled it. Was she regretful, was she repentant [about killing Karen and David], or is she someone that it might be dangerous to have around? I think he was using their reconnaissance trip to feel her out. At the same time, he has, up until this point, abdicated power to the council. Of course, with the outbreak of the virus, a lot of the people on the council are sick. And she was on the council. It may be that Rick will have to revert to making decisions on his own.

What do you think was the one moment that pushed him into the decision?

I think there were a number. One of them, I think, though, was when she was so eager to just leave [Sam and Ana], the two new people that they encountered behind, and basically said, "They're not here. Let's leave." [He begins to wonder] if Carol has become so heartless that she might make a decision that would end in one of his family members' or other friends' loss of life? Has this brutal world created someone incredibly callous in Carol, the person who was certainly one of the most almost touchy-feely people, and certainly someone who, up until the zombie apocalypse, was a victim?

He has to weigh all that in his mind. Is she someone who's going to be safe to leave Judith with? Is she someone that he can entrust Carl to? It's a delicate balance between making good decisions and tough decisions, and making the wrong decisions.

The cast and crew break down the fourth episode, "Indifference":

The watch seemed to be a key thing, too. Carol gave Rick her watch not as a memento, but because she assumed the reason he was so upset about Sam's death was because Sam had his watch …

Right, which is, of course, not it at all. In her mind, at this point, I think we're getting the sense that practical decisions become almost more important than human life. Human life is only valuable … she thinks there's a certain point at which you just cut bait.

And yet, on one level, on a purely survival level, you can understand her justification for what she did, up to a point.

Of course. If you think about it, if it had worked, if the illness had been stopped in its tracks because she'd killed Karen and David, you'd be looking back on it a lot differently, maybe. Or maybe not, but the truth is, it didn't work. In retrospect, it certainly was not only the wrong move, but indefensible.

Carol accepted Rick's decision to banish her from the prison fairly quickly and easily, even after he told her she couldn't take Lizzie and Micah with her. Did she maybe agree a little too quickly, a little too easily? Maybe this isn't the end of Carol's time with the group?

She also answered very quickly when he asked if she was responsible for the deaths back in ["Isolation"]. She's become a real pragmatist. I don't think she's going to spend a lot of effort defending her actions or arguing. She understood at the time that there could very well be repercussions, and that they would be severe.

If you look at Season 2, they were ready to kill Randall because they didn't want him to get away and warn the camp he was with that they were on the farm, because then armed killers and rapists would come back. They were to the point of killing him. I am sure that Carol knows that could've also been a choice [for her]. It was not just about banishment.

[Related: 9 Big Questions With 'The Walking Dead's' Tyreese, Chad Coleman]

Rick made this decision without input from others. Will he regret that?

He would not have been able to keep that information [about what Carol did] to himself if she came back. I'm sure, given the confrontation that he had with Tyreese, that he would've assumed Tyreese would've killed her.

But is he worried that Tyreese will be just as upset when he finds out what Carol did and then doesn't have the chance to confront her about it because Rick has tossed her out of their community?

At the moment, he was just doing the expedient thing. It was certainly far more expedient than creating one more crisis that would traumatize everyone by saying, "OK, I've brought her back. She's guilty. She's admitted to it. Now what are we going to do?" I think there's a point at which a good leader says, "I'm going to handle it, and I'm going to handle it now."

We've gotten a lot of hints this season that Michonne might be ready to open up, especially to Daryl. Will we get more of her backstory soon?

It's certainly possible. We certainly have seen her begin to open up. She's not just a character who scowls, who's a quiet scowler.

She told Daryl she's ready to give up on looking for the Governor, that she'll be sticking around the prison …

They have bigger fish to fry at this point. When everything is going well, and they're growing crops, and they have essentially a peaceful existence, you can pursue [him], whether it's revenge, or even a hobby, but not when their lives are in such jeopardy.

Speaking of the Governor, the first four episodes of the season have been so eventful that we've almost forgotten about him, but he's still out there, probably ready to strike at some point?

We have a lot of story, and we have a lot of characters. That's what's been wonderful. We've had opportunity, without having to introduce the Governor, to get to know the characters more deeply and see how they react with another threat.

Was that always the plan? With Tyreese, for example, who is such a beloved character in the comics, and who people were so excited about when he came on to the show. Was that always the plan, that we would get to know him gradually, and then this season he really became front and center?

It was always the plan that Tyreese would have a much greater role, but we had so many characters last season. I know it's difficult, because not everyone makes it through to the next season, but if everyone did, we couldn't add to the cast.

Are you finished filming on Season 4 now?

No, not quite yet.

"Breaking Bad" director Michelle MacLaren is directing an episode later this season. Is that the season finale?

Yes, it is. We are big fans.

George Romero recently told a British magazine he'd been asked to direct some episodes, but turned down the offer. What was the reason he gave?

We had talked to him very early on, yes. He basically said he created his own zombie universe. He said what he wants to say about zombies, and we're saying what we want to say. We understood that entirely.

[Related: George Romero Disses 'The Walking Dead,' Calls It a 'Soap Opera']

How would you describe, in general, the rest of Season 4?

I would say what's about to happen … you certainly won't see it coming. I assure you of that. (Laughing) And it's not just one thing. It's cumulative.

Watch a sneak peek of the next "Walking Dead" episode:

"The Walking Dead" airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on AMC.

He seems to be this season's Andrea..... :cmad:

The way he's written on this show is probably my biggest complaint so far this season. This character has yet to impress me, imo. It's becoming more obvious he was thrown on the show for fan service. I don't know what the writer's are trying to accomplish with Tyreese this season. He's become more unlikable and questionable each ep.

That is suspicious. I have a feeling that he chopped his GF's leg off and left her for the walkers to feed off of, so he can escape unnoticed. And her amputated leg was a good distance from her body as the walkers were chowing on her.

Thought sure that Carol as she was leaving would come across the guy with the dislocated shoulder. He would go with her, thereby showing that she is going to gather members to her own group, and hinting that we will see her and her group again.

That was very suspicious how he disappeared unless he was eaten/killed too off camera. I have a feeling Carol's heading back to the prison sooner than some think. She might return for Lizzie and her little sister.

I think it's a little too cynical even for TWD to assume he chopped off her leg to distract the walkers while he escaped. She was literally already hobbled so she wouldn't slow him down even if he did want to run and chopping her leg off seems like more effort than just running.

That isn't to say he didn't run when they were attacked but I'm not buying he amputated her to escape either.

I think it's a little too cynical even for TWD to assume he chopped off her leg to distract the walkers while he escaped. She was literally already hobbled so she wouldn't slow him down even if he did want to run and chopping her leg off seems like more effort than just running.

That isn't to say he didn't run when they were attacked but I'm not buying he amputated her to escape either.

Didn't the "evidence" the peaches, the basket and the drag marks on the ground point to an attack in the yard.

Besides they said they were seperating... the guy would search houses and the girl return to the greenhouse so I doubt the guy played any part in her fate.

Also just to mention they were both armed. Rick gave them guns. If the guy was with her the gun would be more useful protection than an amputation. Obviously she didn't get to use hers.

That's all true too which is why I'm doubtful he actually did harm her. We don't know if he came back to help her after he did his search of the houses but assuming he did, you are right he'd be better off shooting at the walkers first. And even missing them those gunshots would have been heard so it sounds even less likely he was responsible, or even there in the first place.

I'm so torn about the Carol banishment. I hated her character at first but she really came around and turned into on of my favorites. Yes, what she did was wrong but Rick kicking her out is worse, IMO. I really hope Daryl goes out looking for her. He's gonna be so pissed. Of course, I think Rick might not tell the truth about it. I'm starting to not like Rick.

Since we didn't see what happened to the guy, think there's any chance Carol will find him as she's driving away? Just a thought.

Thing is tho......everyone is infected......there is no "virus spreading"...and when a person dies from anything....the virus creates....walkers, biters, skin-eaters etc.

Question is would an aircraft carrier, sub, seperated military base, etc. know this. Surely members over time would die form various causes. Would the threat the dead be dealt with properly or would ignorance also be an ultimate downfall?

Rick's group is aware of this dynamic, but only because the CDC guy clued Rick into it.

But that would become apparent pretty quick to any survivors, even if the biologist hadn't filled them in. Plus, they would probably have scientists and doctors.

I have a hard time believing that a bunch of yokels would outlive the people who have the supplies, and plans (not to mention weapons) to survive everything from a nuclear holocaust to chemical warfare. At least when it comes to specific military bases (ones most people here have never heard of).

The nuclear aircraft carrier isn't full proof by any means, but they do have a decent chance.

I think it makes sense to leave that all behind, if they want to keep it as a take of how ordinary strangers would survive in this walker world. Would the average group of survivors have a resident scientist with them who has the means to experiment on a cure? Searching for water, food and a safe place to sleep every day would take the bulk of most peoples time I would think.

There's also the spin off series coming which will focus on a different set of survivors and have a different premise. Maybe in that we'll see the scientist(s) trying to cure or at least nullify the disease.

To be fair, it makes sense to avoid populated areas and to do what they're doing. In that sense, the show is very clever. We are just curious as viewers to know what's going on, but it's also good to keep us in the dark just like the characters. So, no hard feelings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"