The Walking Dead The Walking Dead Season 5, Episode 4 "Slabtown" Discussion Thread

This was an okay episode, but I had trouble understanding the set-up.

There is apparently a "community" of survivors living on the top floors of the hospital (because the lower floors are over-run with walkers). But, we saw about ... maybe six or eight unique characters at most. Was that the extent of their community or were there a bunch of people behind the scenes?

And this group of survivors apparently runs like a hospital, but breed guinea pigs for food? And grow greens on their roof to feed the guinea pigs? It sounds like they don't do any scavenging, but I wasn't clear on their food sources. Or who was responsible for growing their food. It looked like they were drying something out on the roof as well as growing greens, but I couldn't determine what it was.

And was Noah responsible for cleaning the entire hospital and doing all the washing and ironing? No wonder Dawn liked him. Or was he just in charge of the floor on which the art appreciating doctor and Beth worked?

And they apparently seek to increase their numbers to ensure the survival of the human race and to provide a foundation for rebuilding society when "rescued", although what they actually seem to be doing is simply abducting pretty, young women for the male cops to use as sex slaves. And they're on the look out for more medical staff, although that seems to be a secondary concern to having enough sex slaves (and are only required to keep their sex slaves in working order).

Also, despite the fact that the basement and lower floors are over-run with walkers, the cops have some easy and safe way of going to the ground floor, getting to their cars and returning to he hospital with frequently unconscious victims all without being eaten by any of the walkers in the basement or wandering around the car park. And despite the fact that they seemed to have maintained some kind of fencing, they can't be bothered to fix the holes in the fence through which the walkers keep entering (but still keep the fence padlocked so no-one can steal their cars)? Instead, they feed the walkers warm bodies to keep them docile?

It was all creepy as heck, but I really didn't understand what was going on or what the purpose of Dawn's bizarre little community was. The Termites made more sense than this bunch. Whatever is going on, Beth and Carol need to kill the lot of them and escape ASAP. Especially since I'm not sure Carol meets the "working" requirements of Dawn's bodyguards (although she must meet some kind of requirement, otherwise they would have just left her where they found her).

And they apparently seek to increase their numbers to ensure the survival of the human race and to provide a foundation for rebuilding society when "rescued", although what they actually seem to be doing is simply abducting pretty, young women for the male cops to use as sex slaves. And they're on the look out for more medical staff, although that seems to be a secondary concern to having enough sex slaves (and are only required to keep their sex slaves in order).

Lol I just had to quote this part. It made me think of some bad 70's or 80's straight to video prison B Movie.

So did these people really save Beth from being kidnapped from those people in the car or are these the people from that car? I wasn't so clear on that.

yeah it wasnt a bad episode. I did find it dull but that is probably just compared to the previous ep. I also didnt find the hospital community as interesting as Terminus. If they wanted to show another twisted community I wouldve stuck with the Terminus crew for longer.

Also it seems like theyre doing the whole separate groups/stories thing, which Im not a fan of. I much prefer it when the whole group is together even if part of the group goes off on missions.

Or at least do episodes that show what the whole group is doing even if theyre separate. Do they do these episodes to keep the budget down or something. I dont see why do it

So did these people really save Beth from being kidnapped from those people in the car or are these the people from that car? I wasn't so clear on that.

Im pretty sure the hospital folk were the people from the car. When Beth and Noah were escaping I saw a truck with the cross in the back.

Maybe Morgan is with Darryl as well. I wonder how they'll bring him into the group.

They said they found her but yet when Beth made it outside I saw a black car with the cross on the back so who knows?

yeah it wasnt a bad episode. I did find it dull but that is probably just compared to the previous ep. I also didnt find the hospital community as interesting as Terminus. If they wanted to show another twisted community I wouldve stuck with the Terminus crew for longer.

Also it seems like theyre doing the whole separate groups/stories thing, which Im not a fan of. I much prefer it when the whole group is together even if part of the group goes off on missions.

Or at least do episodes that show what the whole group is doing even if theyre separate. Do they do these episodes to keep the budget down or something. I dont see why do it

Im pretty sure the hospital folk were the people from the car. When Beth and Noah were escaping I saw a truck with the cross in the back.

All the cars had crosses on the back of them.

I hope there's some serious payoff whenever this hospital arc finishes, because otherwise, I'm not seeing the need to stretch it out over two episodes. Hopefully, this and next week's ep are just breathers to space out how relentless it's been since the season started. The 'focus on one group' method of episodes got old last season.

That said, that's some pretty creepy **** going on inside the hospital. Gorman couldn't die soon enough.

When Noah was getting his ass kicked the everybody hates Chris theme was in my head :woot:

Joan the Whale Rider girl in The Walking Dead and the next season of Game Of Thrones.

Gorman's death was so satisfying

I hope Carol shanks Officer Dawn

I thought this was a lousy episode, that might have been a good episode had it had better writing, and not centred around the least interesting character, played by the worst actress on the show. None of Beth's reactions to what was going on, the people, where she was, seem to make any sense. These are not the reactions that most people would have under similar circumstances. But the show's biggest mistake was making these people antagonist right from the start. Since Beth doesn't remember the exact events of what happened to her, why not make the hospital people seem innocuous to her?

I think a better story would have shown Beth first being brought in. She's disoriented, but she sees people trying to save her, which they do. These are compassionate people. Dawn treats her not with animosity, but with kindness. The people in the hospital seemingly have a good operation going. Everything seems safe. But whenever Beth says she wants to go searching for Daryl, she's put off by Dawn, who always has a plausible excuse for Beth not being able to leave. Eventually she talks with Noah, who reveals he's been at the hospital for a year now, and with dawning horror Beth realizes she is not a guest in this hospital, but a prisoner. I think that would have been a more scary, and unsettling story arc.

When Noah was getting his ass kicked the everybody hates Chris theme was in my head :woot:

Joan the Whale Rider girl in The Walking Dead and the next season of Game Of Thrones.

Gorman's death was so satisfying

I hope Carol shanks Officer Dawn
[YT]ZXByywgPXPo[/YT]

They are the kidnappers. Their version of events is that after fleeing the creepy house, Beth was about to be eaten by walkers, somehow hit her head and they rescued her.

But, based on the episode in question, I have to wonder whether they didn't see Beth waiting by the side of the road, got out, hit her over the head and threw her in the trunk of the car. From memory, when Daryl arrived, there weren't any walkers around and I don't recall seeing any walker remains either (although it was dark).

Speaking of the creepy house, will that remain a mystery? Did it simply belong to an odd person who, upon returning home and discovering that Daryl and Beth were inside, led a bunch of zombies to the door in order to forcibly evict them from that person's home? Or was it some kind of "honey trap" established by the hospital workers to kidnap slaves?

She was kidnapped by the cops to be forced into servitude.

I didn't hate this episode, but I felt it was somewhat incomprehensible. Maybe the next episode will clear somethings up.

I have to say I really enjoyed this episode. It was great to get into a whole new group dynamic and see how this messed up world has screwed up some other folk, in this case Dawn and her fellow Police officers. Even the nice Doctor had a bit of a dark side deliberately tricking Beth into unknowingly killing that patient who was a Doctor so he can still be useful as the only Doctor there.

Beth is a good character. She doesn't light the screen on fire but she's well written, well acted, and I enjoy her character. She provides some good poignant moments in the show. She's no wimp either. This harsh world has toughened her up and we've seen that ever since she attempted suicide in season 2.

The ending was a bit of a shocker. What the heck happened to Carol. I guess it explains why she's not with Daryl. But it also raises the question of who did Daryl see Beth with in that car a couple of episodes ago?

Super intriguing.

But it also raises the question of who did Daryl see Beth with in that car a couple of episodes ago?

Super intriguing.

I don't think Daryl saw Beth in that car. Instead, he saw the white cross on the back of the car and figured it was the same car as the one which kidnapped Beth or was related to the one which kidnapped Beth since it had the same white cross iconography on the back window.

So, he and Carol followed that car hoping that it would lead them to Beth. And it apparently did lead Carol to Beth, but the surrounding circumstances are currently unknown and we have to wait at least two weeks to find out since the next episode follows Abraham and his Magic School Bus adventures.

I assumed it was Dawn's group who were abducting people and acting like they saved them.

Wow Keisha Castle-Hughes career has really gone down the toilet. She was nominated for an oscar and now she barely gets 3 lines before getting killed off in a tv show.

It felt to me like she was hallucinating as she lay dying in a ditch or something. Season has been great so far but this ep was a stinker.

Hopefully the next ep will be from Daryl and Carol's point of view, leading up to Carol being taken in….

Another thing, this ep did a bad job at showing how much time had past between when Beth is taken by these people, up until Carol arrives….

Another thing, this ep did a bad job at showing how much time had past between when Beth is taken by these people, up until Carol arrives….

Did they have to? We see how long the group is doing their thing after Beth disappears until Daryl and Carol chase after car. Really the only thing we don't know is what happened to Daryl and Carol to get them where they were.

Did they have to? We see how long the group is doing their thing after Beth disappears until Daryl and Carol chase after car. Really the only thing we don't know is what happened to Daryl and Carol to get them where they were.

Well, between the time Daryl looses Beth at the funeral home, up until he reunites with Rick and the group, escapes Terminus and ends up at the church, feels like weeks; however this ep made it feel as though Beth had only been at this hospital, a week at most…..it did a poor job of conveying time...

Wow Keisha Castle-Hughes career has really gone down the toilet. She was nominated for an oscar and now she barely gets 3 lines before getting killed off in a tv show.

She’s going to be on Game of Thrones next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"