The "World of Heroes" DC RPG Season IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondergirl

"Ah. Well, take it from me. There's not a problem in the world out there that can't be solved within these walls." He gives me a supportive smile before marching over to introduce himself to Cassie. "I don't think we've formally met. Garfield Logan, Beast Boy. You can just call me Garfield or Gar. Whatever."

I shake Garfield;s hand, "Nice to meet you, Gar."

Then turning to the others I ask, "So...what's been going on here?"

"Recruitment drive," Megan responds. "We're a bit short staffed at the moment. Obviously."

It is obvious. The place is dead, and the team is smaller then it's ever been. Still, I'm back and so it's Beast Boy. That at least counts for something. "Well, I'm back. And I wouldn't doubt if Kara came back soon as well. She has some stuff to sort out, but it sounded like she'd be back at some point."

"Thank you, God," Zach smiles.

"You know she's engaged, Zach," I shoot him a sarcastically dirty look.

"Not in my mind she isn't," he smiles back.

"But the boy I knew died all those years ago. You're an insane shell of that child. Jason Todd never came back, it was the Red Hood that was resurrected...

jasonbruce8.jpg

Jason Todd- 'Die For Darkseid'
---------------------------------
That does it for me. I'm done spitting back words with Bruce for mere fun and games. If Damian tries to cut in again for our unofficial tag team, I will kick the twerp in the gut.

I'm killing this f****er now.

"Get the F***K off me, Bruce."

I lift my hands up, swinging them towards his ears and smacking them to discombobulate Bruce. As his grip is off the lapels of my coat, I push him off, punching him across the jaw as I get up and his ass falls on the wet pavement of the roof. I roll backwards, drawing my last few batarangs I have left in my belt pouch and ready them in my hands as I stand back up.

"So it's all out in the open. Nothing quite like it when someone says something you've thought about all along in your head out loud. You didn't think I was worth the effort or time. I'm sure that in a sick and twisted way The Joker did you a favor blowing me to bits."

jason1-1.jpg

"No more having to tell me how I shouldn't do this, shouldn't do that. Lecture lecture lecture. Bull***** bull***** bull*****. A constant pain in your butt. 'No, Jason, the idea is to induce pain in regions of the body that will be later recoverable so that they will be able to give us information, blah blah blah'; caring more about the scumbags I beat up more than my own self. Admit it. Say the damn words I want to hear it myself just like I heard you utter those words you said just now. SAY IT."

I take one of the batarangs, hurling it at Bruce and he tumbles to the side. He dodges it.

"Part of you was relieved that I was dead."

Taking my last two, one in each hand, I fling them at the same time.

Why. Won't. You. F***ing. Just. Die.

"Good news for you, Brucie."

He manages to dodge one, but not the other. One gets lodged right into his left thigh. Bullseye.

"I'm as good as dead. Yet again. As much as I was looking forward to this type of reunion with you, cannot say it was all my choice. Blood will be on one of our hands one way or another. Mark my words. Darkseid doesn't show mercy. So tell me, are you ready to let me down again?"

jason2-1.jpg

"Are you gonna let me 'Die for Darkseid'?"

Last edited:
Jason Todd- 'Die For Darkseid'
---------------------------------
That does it for me. I'm done spitting back words with Bruce for mere fun and games. If Damian tries to cut in again for our unofficial tag team, I will kick the twerp in the gut.

I'm killing this f****er now.

"Get the F***K off me, Bruce."

I lift my hands up, swinging them towards his ears and smacking them to discombobulate Bruce. As his grip is off the lapels of my coat, I push him off, punching him across the jaw as I get up and his ass falls on the wet pavement of the roof. I roll backwards, drawing my last few batarangs I have left in my belt pouch and ready them in my hands as I stand back up.

"So it's all out in the open. Nothing quite like it when someone says something you've thought about all along in your head out loud. You didn't think I was worth the effort or time. I'm sure that in a sick and twisted way The Joker did you a favor blowing me to bits. No more having to tell me how I shouldn't do this, shouldn't do that. Lecture lecture lecture. Bull***** bull***** bull*****. A constant pain in your butt. 'No, Jason, the idea is to induce pain in regions of the body that will be later recoverable so that they will be able to give us information, blah blah blah'; caring more about the scumbags I beat up more than my own self. Admit it. Say the damn words I want to hear it myself just like I heard you utter those words you said just now. SAY IT."

I take one of the batarangs, hurling it at Bruce and he tumbles to the side. He dodges it.

"Part of you was relieved that I was dead."

Taking my last two, one in each hand, I fling them at the same time.

Why. Won't. You. F***ing. Just. Die.

"Good news for you, Brucie."

He manages to dodge one, but not the other. One gets lodged right into his left thigh. Bullseye.

"I'm as good as dead. Yet again. As much as I was looking forward to this type of reunion with you, cannot say it was all my choice. Blood will be on one of our hands one way or another. Mark my words. Darkseid doesn't show mercy. So tell me, are you ready to let me down again? Are you gonna let me 'Die for Darkseid'?"

I grunt in pain as I jerk the batarang from my thigh. What's he talking about, Darkseid? Did he have something to do with Jason's rejuvenation?

"I don't know what you're talking about."

I rush towards Jason and attack. Even though we're both winded, wounded, and weary, we each give it our all. He manages to successfully block each blow. "I mourned you, as I would any other member of my family. In many ways I still haven't made peace with your death, it was my fault you died. But I will not play this game with you."

One of my blows drives home, striking him in his wounded shoulder. "If you've come to me with a sob story, or looking for pity, then you've come to the wrong place. You've erased any kind of mercy I have for you with your recent actions. So go cry somewhere else, I won't have it. You were a self-absorbed and angry little boy, and you haven't changed a bit. So, you can take this nonsense about Darkseid elsewhere because he's dead and you've proven you don't deserve a second chance at life."

The sunlight creeps across the room, finally falling on my eyes. I squint against the brightness, the light forcing me awake. Shading my eyes, I snake a hand out of my ring, reaching it across the room to slide the window blinds shut.

I turn over at the sound of a soft grunt and the movement next to my body. Mary pulls the blanket over her head, still completely asleep. I just lay there, looking into her face, with no real desire to move. But I do anyway.

I slip out of the bed without disturbing her. Using my ring, I scan Samantha's room to make sure she is still sleeping. She is. I create my uniform around my body and walk out of the room.

The dishes make virtually no noise as a trio of golden chef's work silently in the kitchen preparing breakfast. While I will them to work in the background, I stand in front of the television, using my ring to scan through the news programs looking for anything interesting. Unfortunately, all I come across is the pathetic events that pass for news on this world.

I just shake my head in disappointment. There's a whole universe out there full of wonders and horrors and treasures and perils beyond imagining. Who cares what celebrity is secretly having sex with a prostitute of the same gender? Although the claims of pregnancy are rather humorous, in a pathetic way.

KNOCK KNOCK

I stare at the front door, willing the television off. The chef's quickly dissipate, leaving the food behind, partially uncooked. I actually have to take a moment to consider what I should do. I don't want Mary or Samantha to be disturbed. But me opening the door would probably be an unwelcome surprise for Mary's neighbors, to say the least. So a take a second to scan who is on the other side. The results are...interesting.

I open the door.

j8duu9.jpg

"You're coming with us, Sinestro."

2zhnrk2.jpg

"And it ain't a request."

J'onn tackles Despero from behind, and soars towards the surface of the water. Shooting out of the water with great speed he eventually throws Despero to the ground. The Aquatic Ace following him as he jumps out of the water the two heroes charge at the villain with all the telepathic might they possess.

telepathfight1.jpg

newaquabanner1.png

Massachusetts Bay
Shipyard

746652-despero_1.jpg

The heroes combined telepathic strike was a valiant one, but in the end futile. They are no match for Despero. Two of the Earth's most known and powerful telepaths are no match for the former tyrant alien. As the villain breaks through their psychic attack, he swings at J'onn who shapeshifts into a creature of martian origin that is most terrifying, biting at Despero's arm as he makes contact.

"ARRGGH!"

"We are going to have to go back to Plan A, J'onn! Beat. Him. Senseless!!"

Sending a fury of punches to Despero's from his abdomen up to his upper body and eventually his head as the Martian Manhunter keeps his locked in his biteful grip and arms, the Marine Marvel is relentless. However while the Aquatic Ace dishes out damage, it is not enough to send the villain into submission. Eventually Despero is able to pull on one of his tugged arms enough to make J'onn's morphed form into Orin, freeing the villain entirely.

Shaking their heads as they recover from the blow, they look up and the superior telepath hovers above him like the God he is in comparison to these two 'men'. Smiling with glee Despero's third eye glows intensely.

"In my last encounter with the League, the Martian here was able to invade my mind in a way that was unknown to me. A dirty martian trick known as Mayavanna that they refer to as a gift. Haha, well while I cannot give such a gift back to you J'onn I will do my best and my Atlantean foe you could've spared yourself from such torment had you abide by my words."

As J'onn and Aquaman are about to charge at the villain yet again in another futile attemp. Trying to buy time until the rest of the League and whoever got hold of J'onn's telepathic message, Despero's third eye flashes magnificently and they have no such defense to stop it. A flash of yellow light so brilliant and radiant the two heroes are blinded as they try to cover their eyes and shield their mind.

As the light dims, it is now Despero's smile that shines brightly. Aquaman and the Martian Manhunter stand tall, but simply by the will of Despero. Everything eventually succumbs to the will of the mighty Despero.

"Hahaha well will you look at that. I have my King...I have my Rook..."

controlledaqmm.jpg

"When the rest of the League crumbles before me I will have my Queen, Bishop, and Knight...and the rest of the World to serve as my Pawns."

The
Glass
GRODD Menagerie
Part Four: Gorilla Warfare

“Hutchison's Law: Any occurrence requiring undivided attention will be accompanied by a compelling distraction.” - Robert Bloch

I sit, alone in my personal monitor bay, watching the screens before me. Reports coming in from Star City, where Krypto, Superman's dog, runs rampant in the streets.

The death toll currently sits at three. A bit low for an hour's worth of rampaging, but the dog is still running unchecked, so more fatalities will surely follow.

Another monitor shows the situation in Central City. As planned, my Royal Flush Gang had arrived to hold up the very bank that the Mirror Master was currently robbing in secret. While I care not who wins, or if the peons I paid even succeed, I must say that my interest is piqued regarding the Gang's performance in this conflict with the Rogues.

Thus far, about five humans have been injured or killed in the crossfire. That should serve as an adequate distraction. Particularly given the odd politics between the Rogues and the Flashes.

I press a button on a nearby console.

"Are you ready?"

"Yes Lord Grodd, we are near the target." comes the voice of my pilot.

"Fire when ready, then retreat. Check in once you are clear of Gotham airspace."

The bomber I sent is equipped with the best in stealth technology, but little do my pilots know, it is set to teleport into orbit five minutes after its payload is delivered. While I hate sacrificing loyal troops, these gorillas have pledged themselves to me, and will die for me if needed.

Discretion and secrecy is needed.

Fifteen minutes pass and my sensors indicate that the bomber has been... disposed of. I alter the settings on my monitors.

I sit back and smile, knowing that my smokescreen is complete, as I watch the destruction and panic in Gotham's streets as a "mysterious aircraft" bombed Arkham Asylum.

Now, with sufficient distractions, Phase Two and the real plan can commence.

talia2-1.jpg

She paces the overly large bedroom, between the overstuffed chaise and the window, her foot steps echoing with a cold emptiness as the stilletos on her feet click against the stone flooring.

Raking her fingers through her hair, Talia contemplates the events of the past few weeks, her brown eyes blazing with an anger that threatens to spill over and explode.

'Convenient time to be dead, Father,' she smirks to herself, finally allowing herself to fall into the gilded chair in front of her vanity mirror.

"My son is stolen from me, and you are no where around to help me get him back. As if I expected more," she nearly spits the words, staring at her own reflection in the mirror. Dark circles have formed under her eyes from the many countless nights she's stayed awake, worrying about Damian. Even her hair has lost any lustre or shine it had, and her face seems taut with worry, her brows perpetually creased.

Picking up a small device from her dressing table, she flips it open and begins scanning through her own private database of loyal League members, her eyes briefly scanning each name.

'If I have to do this myself, I will. Now to find the right oper-,' her inner chatter cuts off abruptly as she focuses her eyes upon the name currently highlighted. Pressing a button, the screen changes to show a profile picture of the man.

Talia's lips begin to curve into a wicked smile, and she stands again, brushing the loose skirt of her dress down against her thighs as she makes her way out of the room, the clacking of her heels upon the stone filled with purpose this time.

Winding her way through the expansive base, she comes across a fairly non-descript room, a keypad on the wall outside. Keying in her own code, the door swings open and the striking brunette enters the room, staring at the man strewn out on the bed before her.

"Merlyn. I have a job for you."

Copyofsbir12lrg.jpg

I'm in Berlin, evacuating the last terrified tenants in a burning apartment complex. Given my sudden and drastic increase of power, I think it's best to not try to use my Arctic breath or inhale the oxygen away from the fire--I may overdo it and accidentally freeze or suffocate the entire city. Instead, once I get everyone out, I bring back the nearest water tower and use it to douse the flames.

Once I place the water tower back where it belongs and weld it back into place, I get a message. Not over the JLA earpiece or even picking up a scream with my enhanced hearing, but instead a message sent telepathically.

This is the Martian Manhunter J'onn J'onnz. I am sending this distress call for all nearby heroes and JLA as well as reserve JLA members to answer to. Despero has attacked Aquaman and I and we need assist in taking the galactic villain down. Arthur is fighting him in the region of the Massachusetts Bay.

Despero. One of the long list of interstellar menaces that have threatened countless planets, and that can never seem to leave the Earth well enough alone. Hardly on the same level as Darkseid, but easily on the same level as the likes of Mongul or Brainiac. The League will have to act quickly to take him down.

I'm in the Massachusetts Bay a few seconds later, and I see that at this point, Despero seems to have already subdued J'onn and Arthur. This isn't good.

But then again, this is the exact sort of situation the League was meant to deal with.

"Despero," I call out to him, floating down from the sky.

fko9og-2.jpg

"No more. You're only going to get one warning--let my friends go, before I have to hurt you."

23hpxqd.png

I grab my coat, preparing to leave for Star City. The journey will be short, thanks to an old vehicle Bruce leant me. "Computers, I need you t---"

The ground shakes slightly. The computer buzzes. Within seconds, an image of a destroyed Arkham Asylum floods my screens. The visual shows debris, rubble and chaotic bystanders everywhere. "Holy, S***"

I run to the computers, slamming my hands down on the keypad.

"Come in, come in, this is Oracle speaking. Anyone within the area of Gotham needs to move in to Akrham Asylum, now. I have a clear visual. It's been bombed."

RedRobin-1.png

SEASON IX: LEVITY, INTERLUDE

"Hello? Come in? Can anyone actually here me on one of these things?"

batman8q.png

By the time I hear the voice over the cowl-link to Oracle's frequency, I'm in the midst of crossing onto Dixon and Grant, heading straight home on the Ducati. Which I just spent an hour trying to grab from the scene of where the police were booking those hoods. In all the chaos and my frustration with Steph, I had forgotten it and left the bike wide open for some hapless dealer to waltz on up to the scene, jump it and strip the engine for parts. And that was only in the case of the security features being shut down, in which they'd probably be fried to a crisp from the electro-relay or pinned to a wall with ballistics gel. It was an amateur mistake and I'd deserve full blame if anything had happened - this is exactly the kind of stuff that I'm trying to avoid.

But the closer I get to home, the more persistent that the voice on the frequency grows. I figured Barb would have responded by now, but I didn't take into account the fact that she's probably dealing with Birds related business. Cass usually doesn't respond to any direct calls unless it's top priority. Dick's probably either left town or in the middle of a case. And Bruce is... well, he's Bruce. So with a growing agitation to hide in my voice, I tap into the frequency and immediately change course, preparing myself to head in whichever direction this is gonna lead me.

"Red Robin here. Go ahead."

"Finally! Thank god, I was... wait, Red Robin?"

I take a moment to remind myself that people are still getting used to that codename.

"Used to be Robin. Long story. Who is this?"

"Batwoman. One of the new operatives. I don't think we've met."

That's right. Bruce told us about her a couple of months ago. She was on a trial-by-trial basis within the team as his new mole inside of the Gariaski drug ring. Given that his entire staff was arrested and he was slapped with multiple counts of extortion and racketeering within the same month, I'd say she passed.

"I've heard of you. What do you need?"

"Alright. Listen carefully. I know this is gonna sound weird, but..."

I smirk to myself. "You're new to the business, I take it?"

"No, listen to me. This is seriously freaking me out, because Arkham..."

My smirk fades at the sound of that name.

Arkham. Never a good addition to any sentence.

"What about it? Someone trying to escape?"

"No, it..."

There's a pause.

"Batwoman?"

"It's demolished. Completely, utterly demolished. There was a bright light, I could see it from blocks away, and it... it's just gone. The prisoners are running riot, the police aren't here to put them down, and I don't know what to do. This is way out of my league."

"Come in, come in, this is Oracle speaking. Anyone within the area of Gotham needs to move in to Arkham Asylum, now. I have a clear visual. It's been bombed."

Bombed? Oh, crap.

I immediately jam the clutch and burn rubber revving the engine to full speed, taking off straight for the West Bridge. There's a direct route to Arkham Island from there that was built after the place was rebuilt from The Joker's last little rampage on the grounds. It was either after that or the time that Wonder Woman was driven insane and let loose on the city as a whole.

And with that thought, I realize just how insane my life really is.

"Oracle, I'm heading there now. Batwoman, stay there and deploy as much tear gas as you can. Take on any of the prisoners heading for the mainlands, but do not engage any of the heavies. You'll know them because they'll already be back in their costumes."

"Got it. Where are you?"

"About a six minute drive across town. You have to hold them off until I get there. ETA for me's about three minutes, tops."

"Shouldn't I try to call for backup, or something?"

"No. Oracle will handle that. And in an emergency like this, either back-up comes to us... or they're not coming at all."

I shut down the comm and weave into freeway traffic, doing about 110 and climbing.

Is it wrong that I really want to turn around right now?

I'm halfway through scouting out a Russian drug smuggling ring when I hear it. A low hum that vibrates through my body, knocking dust and debris off of the building I'm perched on. I drop the binoculours I was looking through and look up.

"Oh my..." I mutter.

A very high tech stealth bomber passes over head, heading out towards Arkham Asylum. I ignore the Russian mobsters and pull out my grapnel line, starting to make my way across the rooftops towards Arkham.

Then the bombs drop. The light flares up, blinding me in the night's sky. I grunt and roll on the last building I landed on, waiting for my eyes to stop ringing and my eyesight to go back to normal.

"Come in, come in, this is Oracle speaking. Anyone within the area of Gotham needs to move in to Akrham Asylum, now. I have a clear visual. It's been bombed."

"I'm on the ground Oracle. See if you can organise the fire department, I'm going to see if I can identify any runners," I say into the mike in my ear.

I make my way down to ground level and head towards the rubble that used to be the only thing keeping the insane scum of the city from the rest of the population of Gotham.

23hpxqd.png

For a moment, Helena's gonna have to be put on hold. I've already alerted Harley Quinn, I'm sure she can start it off without me.

The compute runs a list of names of heroes in Gotham.

"Oracle, I'm heading there now. Batwoman, stay there and deploy as much tear gas as you can. Take on any of the prisoners heading for the mainlands, but do not engage any of the heavies. You'll know them because they'll already be back in their costumes."

I pick up the signal of Red Robin. I nod. He seems to be talking to Batwoman through the other line. "I need you two to stay in the area, do not go off and chase after anyone. That is an order."

"I'm on the ground Oracle. See if you can organise the fire department, I'm going to see if I can identify any runners," I say into the mike in my ear.

"Do what you can, Dick. I'm calling in back-up as we speak."

I type away for a few moments, before three faces appear on the screen.

"Zatanna move in to Gotham, now!"

They each reply back, filling me in. They're on their way. Then, two more monitors buzz on. One on Keystone and one on Star City. A gang war and what seems to be... a raging animal? Quite raged....

"Green Arrow and Red Arrow respond! I need you in Star City now!"

I then sharply move on to the screen that shows Keystone, rubbing my temples gently

"Black Canary, Red Tornado and Flash, assemble at Keystone,"

I take a second and step back, brushing my hair back and examining the chaos. Destruction, everywhere. It's only Metropolis that's left...

"Supergirl, Wonder Woman and Hawkman, renedevous at Metropolis and keep guard for any unusual occurunces."

The country's in chaos at I'm at the centre.

Last edited:
Billy Batson works at his desk at the Gotham Bureau when Joan yells, "Listen up! We need as many able bodies as we can get away with right now! Arkham Asylum has been bombed! I repeat Arkham has been bombed!"

People in the news room just stare at one another and Joan says, "I realize your first instinct is to go check on your families, but we have a job to do. Everyone can call their families but I want you off the phone in 60 seconds. Anyone on longer is fired! I'm counting down!"

She looks at Billy and says, "Batson! Go home!"

Billy says, "But Mrs. Fremont I...."

She says, "One this story is too risky for a newbie like you and two you are already working overtime. We can't afford to pay you anymore!"

Billy says, "But I'll..."

Joan yells, "Time's up! Batson out now!"

Billy leaves the office and sees the panic already gripping the street. Store fronts closing up, shops going dark, and people getting indoors.

I really hate leaving a story like this alone but somehow I think someone else might be more needed than Billy Batson.

Billy ducks into an alley and sees no one.

He says the magic word and is instantly transformed into the world's mightiest mortal!

Captain Marvel takes flight and heads to Arkham.

Using my Solomon wisdom I know not to take the lead because I don't know everything about Arkham and by now either Batman or his associates are there. I will lend help where I can.

He sees Nightwing.

I make my way down to ground level and head towards the rubble that used to be the only thing keeping the insane scum of the city from the rest of the population of Gotham.

Marvel hovers behind Nightwing and asks, "Could you use a hand Nightwing?"

Last edited:
The
Glass
GRODD Menagerie
Part Five: Animal Experimentation

“All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.” - George Orwell

Central City and Keystone City serve as the battlefields for a vicious gang war between super-powered factions.

Star City is under siege by a rabid beast with Kryptonian powers.

Gotham City plunges into chaos, driven by fear, paranoia and the explosive release of dozens of psychotic criminals.

And now? Now the true plan will commence.

My current base of operations is in a small town called Timely, a suburb of the distant Fawcett City, which sits within view more than twenty miles away. With the use of a psionic amplification helmet aiding my already significant mental powers, the entire population of 3,000 is under my direct control.

Currently, all of Timely's humans were gathered in an area ten miles in diameter. It is time to test our "Beast Bomb".

The mechanism is quite simple. Roughly the size of a suitcase, each "Beast Bomb" is built around a bowling ball-sized glass orb. Each orb contains the volitile magic of Circe's transformation spell within, waiting to be released. The machinery itself is merely a compactor, crushing the orb on command and releasing the mystic energy.

One such "bomb" sits in the center of the gathered humans.

"This will work, correct, Circe?"

"It will, Lord Grodd," she replies, "at the mere push of a button, everything biologically human within a five mile radius will become a slavish Bestiamorph under our control."

"Except for myself, of course." The witch adds.

"Excellent." I say, triggering the device.

Miami, Florida

The pilot whispers a silent prayer as the last engine in his jet begins to fail. He's been battling against the inevitable for close to an hour now, ever since the lighting storm struck the plane. The Miami airport comes into view, but he's still a thousand feet above the tarmac.

He thinks about his family, about his wife and three children. The fact that he'll never see his children grow old pains him. As much as he loves his wife, his children are what really matters.

Life is in danger. This is where I come in.

A beam of white energy wraps itself around the jet and stabilizes the falling plane. The confused pilot glances out the window and gets a good look at his savior.

[BLACKOUT]"Hiya,"[/BLACKOUT] I say with a smirk and wave. I get the plane to the ground in a few seconds and fly back off to see where else I might be needed. Turns out, yours truly is a hot commodity.

J'onn J'onnz, having time to recover from Despero sneak attack, starts to head for the surface of the water. As he does so to rally up with Aquaman, he utilizes his telepathic abilities to send out a psywave of a distress call to all within proximity of the area.

This is the Martian Manhunter J'onn J'onnz. I am sending this distress call for all nearby heroes and JLA as well as reserve JLA members to answer to. Despero has attacked Aquaman and I and we need assist in taking the galactic villain down. Arthur is fighting him in the region of the Massachusetts Bay.

[BLACKOUT]
"This is Guy Gardner, J'onn. I'm on my way!"[/BLACKOUT]

I blast off and break the sound barrier a few times over as I race up the Eastern seaboard to New England. I'm over the Boston harbor when I aim towards the ocean and go down into the water, the energy shield of the white ring keeping me dry and keeping oxygen into my lungs. I can see the fight going on even through the murky water of the harbor and arrive just as Superman is confronting Despero.

[BLACKOUT]"I'd do what the man says, three eyes. Y'see, us Earth heroes have kicked your ass before and we can do it again."[/BLACKOUT]

Wondergirl

I shake Garfield;s hand, "Nice to meet you, Gar."

Then turning to the others I ask, "So...what's been going on here?"

"Recruitment drive," Megan responds. "We're a bit short staffed at the moment. Obviously."

It is obvious. The place is dead, and the team is smaller then it's ever been. Still, I'm back and so it's Beast Boy. That at least counts for something. "Well, I'm back. And I wouldn't doubt if Kara came back soon as well. She has some stuff to sort out, but it sounded like she'd be back at some point."

"Thank you, God," Zach smiles.

"You know she's engaged, Zach," I shoot him a sarcastically dirty look.

"Not in my mind she isn't," he smiles back.
"Hey, um, team?"

I turn to the living room, where Gar has turned on the TV. A news report is showing frightening images of Star City under siege. However, it's not the damage the city is taking which is frightening. It's the red and white blur causing all of it. And I've seen that red and white blur enough times to recognize exactly who it is.

Krypto?

"Well, now seems as good a time as ever to test out the teleportation spell I've been working on..."

"Zach, the last time you tried a teleportation spell, you ended up 135 miles away from the destination," Megan warns cautiously.

Zach frowns. "Yeah...so?"

"And your clothes didn't survive the trip," I remind him.

"Well, I've been practicing." Noticing the skeptical looks on our faces, he insists, "I have!"

"Rock-paper-scissors for who has to carry Zach?"

Pouting, Zach mutters, "I need to get me some non-flying friends."

The
Glass
GRODD Menagerie
Part Six: Unleashing the Beast Within

"Every man has a wild beast within him." - Frederick The Great, King of Prussia

Circe's claims were not boastful, as soon as I press the appropriate button, a wave of pink electric energy bursts forth from the "bomb" and travels in every direction. Each human struck by the wave double over in agony as their bodies transform.

After a moment, Circe and I are surrounded by humanoid animals. Canines and felines, equines and bovines, avians and reptilians, even some with a more proper primate appearance than they had before the transformation, as well as all manner of others.

I place a communicator to my ear, contacting troops I had stationed five miles north of the "bomb".

"Has it reached you yet?"

"Yes, Lord Grodd."

"And the humans?"

"All within the blast radius were transformed. Those you had placed outside of it remain human."

"Excellent. Do away with the remaining humans, and lead the bestiamorphs to me."

Three more calls to the gorillas stationed to the South, East and West confirm that the desired effect had been attained.

"It seems that this device indeed does what you promised, Circe."

"Told you."

"I am pleased. How many more of these "bombs" do we have ready now?"

"Ten, Lord Grodd." interjects one of my lieutenants.

"Very well. That will be an adequate start.' I look to Circe, "Will a force of three thousand be sufficient for your invasion of the island?"

"You will be arming them as promised?"

"Of course."

"Then yes, three thousand will be sufficient payment for the ten orbs, as well as any more you may need in the future." She extends her left hand in an offer for a handshake.

I narrow my eyes momentarily, then grasp her hand in agreement.

"Do what you can, Dick. I'm calling in back-up as we speak." Babs voice quirks up over the comm bead, but I'm already moving.

There are dead bodies in the rubble; guard, inmate and civilian alike. I can't see any major players in the debris, which isn't particularly comforting. It just means that they're going to be making their way out on their own.

The sirens wailing from inside are a good sign - at least some of the guards have got it together enough to lock down the secure section of the facility. Not that it matters to some more notable inmates. Who are right now heading for where I'm standing.

"Could you use a hand Nightwing?"

I suppress a shudder. I hate it when someone gets right up behind me without me noticing - it sets me distinctly on edge. I take a look at Captain Marvel. I've never really had much to do with him, presumably because he's off fighting against the magical forces of evil. But his wholesome exterior can be a bit creepy set against a setting like this. I smile.

"Sure can," I say, nodding as amongst colleagues "We could do with clearing the rubble to look for survivors, but we're going to need to keep the current inmates down until backup arrives,"

A figure emerges from the smoke and I ready my escrima sticks. The figure turns out to be a guard, stumbling over the rubble, a nasty headwound covering his face in blood. I catch him before he collapses, and lay him down in a relatively clear patch of ground.

"You okay buddy?" I ask, checking for any life threatening wounds. He coughs.

"Cash and the other guards are still in there. It's chaos," he splutters.

"It's okay, I'm on it," I say, giving him a reassuring pat on the shoulder, before looking at Captain Marvel "I'm going in - I need you to hold the line until back up gets here,"

I move before Billy can say anything, heading into the smokey nightmare that is Arkham Asylum.

"Do what you can, Dick. I'm calling in back-up as we speak." Babs voice quirks up over the comm bead, but I'm already moving.

There are dead bodies in the rubble; guard, inmate and civilian alike. I can't see any major players in the debris, which isn't particularly comforting. It just means that they're going to be making their way out on their own.

The sirens wailing from inside are a good sign - at least some of the guards have got it together enough to lock down the secure section of the facility. Not that it matters to some more notable inmates. Who are right now heading for where I'm standing.

"Could you use a hand Nightwing?"

I suppress a shudder. I hate it when someone gets right up behind me without me noticing - it sets me distinctly on edge. I take a look at Captain Marvel. I've never really had much to do with him, presumably because he's off fighting against the magical forces of evil. But his wholesome exterior can be a bit creepy set against a setting like this. I smile.

"Sure can," I say, nodding as amongst colleagues "We could do with clearing the rubble to look for survivors, but we're going to need to keep the current inmates down until backup arrives,"

A figure emerges from the smoke and I ready my escrima sticks. The figure turns out to be a guard, stumbling over the rubble, a nasty headwound covering his face in blood. I catch him before he collapses, and lay him down in a relatively clear patch of ground.

"You okay buddy?" I ask, checking for any life threatening wounds. He coughs.

"Cash and the other guards are still in there. It's chaos," he splutters.

"It's okay, I'm on it," I say, giving him a reassuring pat on the shoulder, before looking at Captain Marvel "I'm going in - I need you to hold the line until back up gets here,"

I move before Billy can say anything, heading into the smokey nightmare that is Arkham Asylum.

Captain Marvel summons the courage of Achilies and says as Nightwing heads into Arkham, "Don't worry Nightwing! Anyone wants to escape they've got to get past me!"

He quickly scans the area and with his Solomon wisdom sees an option.

This might work!

Quickly he gathers large peices of rubble and fashions a crude but effective holding area.

Marvel then takes flight and grabs a railroad tanker. He opens the tanker and flies to Gotham Dam and quickly fills it.

That should be plenty for what I need.

Marvel returns to the holding area and pours the water on the walls.

That'll make the walls slick so they can't get out!

Marvel sees several inmates making a break in the woods. Using the speed of Mercury he begins to re-capture the inmates putting them in the holding area.

He puts the last one in and says, "Sorry about the crude surroundings, but this should do for now if you need anything there will be a few guards out front."

Marvel looks at 4 guards and says, "The escapees I was able to find so far are in there. I'll get a bird's eye view to see if I can find anymore."

The guards nod and take position around the holding area as Marvel takes flight and begins capturing more inmates.

Zachary Zatara

"Really? We're doing animal control now?" I sigh and roll my eyes. "Let me get my fancy suit."

I repeat an incantation I've used millions of times and in a flash my t-shirt and sweatpants morph into my tuxedo. "If one of you is going to carry me again, I vote Wonder Girl."

Wondergirl

I give a sideways look at Zach and joke, "Fine. But if I swear you try that 'Oh I'm falling let me grab on to a naughty part' stunt again I will drop you."

Somehow I can feel Connor's eyes dart towards Zach and I, and I hope he realizes that was a joke. We're headed on a mission, and we can't afford stupid things like unfounded jealousy getting in the way. Luckily, I know Connor is bigger than that. At least I hope he still is.

Levitating off the ground, I swoop over and scoop Zach up as the team heads for Star City. Before liftoff, Garfield transforms into some kind of bug and Megan carries him in her hand.

Once we're in the city, the team touches down, and the devastation caused by the Kryptonian canine is surprising, even to me.

A blur catches my eye, and I speed into Krypto with all my speed, "Bad boy, Krypto! Very bad boy!"

But the enraged animal doesn't respond at all, and bucks me off, sending me twirling through the air. I look back at the team, "Some help would be great!"

Wondergirl

A blur catches my eye, and I speed into Krypto with all my speed, "Bad boy, Krypto! Very bad boy!"

But the enraged animal doesn't respond at all, and bucks me off, sending me twirling through the air. I look back at the team, "Some help would be great!"

Zachary Zatara

"With these delicate features? If I get so much as dog drool on my tux I'm charging Superman."

I plant my feet and search around until I spot the blur whipping across the street, swatting down lampposts and cracking the concrete. I focus as hard as I can on the rabid dog and picture what I'm going for.

"Epac nrut ot leets hsael!" I shout and suddenly the red part of the blur turns a shiny gray. As the steel leash starts slamming into cars and buildings, causing even more damage, I shrug and look over to Kon. "Go get your dog, dawg."

Zachary Zatara

"With these delicate features? If I get so much as dog drool on my tux I'm charging Superman."

I plant my feet and search around until I spot the blur whipping across the street, swatting down lampposts and cracking the concrete. I focus as hard as I can on the rabid dog and picture what I'm going for.

"Epac nrut ot leets hsael!" I shout and suddenly the red part of the blur turns a shiny gray. As the steel leash starts slamming into cars and buildings, causing even more damage, I shrug and look over to Kon. "Go get your dog, dawg."
"Smooth."

I never thought I'd have to fight Krypto. It's like Kal gone bad, only with significantly worse breath and you can't reason with him. Frankly, I'm surprised Star City hasn't been reduced to a pile of rocks by now. I've seen firsthand the kind of damage Krypto can do when he gets too excited about fetching a tennis ball.

"Hold on, Superboy, I've got this," Beast Boy says as he holds out his arm to stop me. He marches into the middle of the street and transforms into a little, green poodle. He whistles to get Krypto's attention. "Hey, big boy! Yeah, you like this, don'tcha?"

This is never going to work.

Krypto slows down. He's still snarling, but I guess it's a start. He approaches Beast Boy slowly, sniffing tentatively. Hey, maybe this plan might actually work. Just when Krypto's close enough, Beast Boy turns into a gorilla and wraps his arms around the dog.

"Okay, boy, time to go to sleep!"

Yet try as he might, Beast Boy is unable to get his arms wrapped around Krypto completely. The superdog thrashes about until he manages to fling Beast Boy back a good ten feet.

I throw myself into the fight at that point, commanding as forcefully as I can, "Krypto, stop!" He doesn't listen to me, though. He merely launches himself at my chest, sending the both of us crashing through a mailbox. I have to grab him by the neck to keep him from trying to bite my face off. "Krypto, that's enough!"

Suddenly, something hits the side of Krypto and explodes. I shield my eyes, and when I look up, I see Krypto lying on his side in the middle of the street. He's not out, but he's disoriented at least. I look up in the direction of the flying object.

Green_Arrow.jpg

"About time some backup showed up."

Wondergirl

"Nice to see you, Arrow," I smile at our old ally. It's been a while since I've seen him, and his help is definitely appreciated here.

"Hey, Little Supes!" he yells at Con. "Didn't they have leash laws on Krypton!?"

He fires another concussive arrow at the superdog and I fly at him again. The arrow strikes, and I wrestle Krypto to the ground, attempting to hogtie him with my lasso. But he's just too strong, and too feral. He breaks through my grip and sinks his teeth into my forearm. I yelp with pain, and my anger causes the lasso to electrify, shocking Krypto away from me, and towards Megan, who instantly engages him.

I float over towards Superboy, "There's something wrong with him, Con. I've never seen Krypto like this."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"