Homecoming The Zendaya is possibly someone, maybe thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The jackpot one aspires to hit:

is-zendaya-playing-mary-jane-in-spider-man-homecoming.jpg

I know I already brought this up before, but I think that everything we've been learning and seeing lately about this movie (including this http://boards.4chan.org/co/thread/88382917#p88382917 ) is starting to validate my belief that Mary Jane most likely won't be featured in these movies.

I mean listen, I don't like it any more than you guys do, but Marvel in general is pretty hellbent on doing away with the idea of Peter/MJ (unless it's an AU title like Renew Your Vows which has no impact on the regular continuity).

just curious, but why is Marvel so hellbent on deemphasizing MJ and getting her out of Peter's life?

I don't think one film out automatically means MJ will never be in these films

I know I already brought this up before, but I think that everything we've been learning and seeing lately about this movie (including this http://boards.4chan.org/co/thread/88382917#p88382917 ) is starting to validate my belief that Mary Jane most likely won't be featured in these movies.

I mean listen, I don't like it any more than you guys do, but Marvel in general is pretty hellbent on doing away with the idea of Peter/MJ (unless it's an AU title like Renew Your Vows which has no impact on the regular continuity).
Because rumors from 4chan are so reliable?

So according to that leak, Flash is essentially early Ditko Harry Osborn now? WTF?

just curious, but why is Marvel so hellbent on deemphasizing MJ and getting her out of Peter's life?

They've had this misguided belief for over a decade now that the 2 of them being together is somehow detrimental to the character, and they haven't shown any signs lately of abandoning that B.S. philosophy. I mean hell, Quesada even said at the recent comic con that he still believes after all these years that breaking them up was the right thing to do.

They've had this misguided belief for over a decade now that the 2 of them being together is somehow detrimental to the character, and they haven't shown any signs lately of abandoning that B.S. philosophy. I mean hell, Quesada even said at the recent comic con that he still believes after all these years that breaking them up was the right thing to do.

ah, thanks.

that's such stupid logic.

Because rumors from 4chan are so reliable?

Not saying it's 100 percent true, but everything they've said does line up with everything we've seen in the trailer in addition to all the other info we've heard about the movie at this point.

I follow the Midnight's Edge philosophy on this type of stuff; I take it with a grain of salt but never dismiss it outright.

but that 4chan stuff could simply be making assumptions based on what we've now seen from the trailers.

Just take it with a grain of salt until the movie comes out.

I could see that pic from the Homecoming dance with Zendaya looking on as the catalyst for her to think that she needs to step up her game and prompt her 'she's all that' transformation from ugly duckling into super-hot chick. I'll wait til I see how everything plays out but just reading what I wrote, goodness that just sounds awful. It's so cliche. I've played devil's advocate before about having MJ going thru that type of change because this is HS and not when we actually would be meeting MJ, during Pete's college years. So, essentially there'd be room for her to develop into the MJ that we all know. But, seeing what may come to fruition, this just seems awful. Truly.

It's not confirmed that she is MJ of course however if that was what they originially planned...I...why?? I don't get it. Now, I am reading that this is partly because they are blending the Peter universe with Miles? Is that accurate? Seriously, I don't understand why this is so difficult for studios/filmmakers. What is difficult about making a good adaptation of the source while keeping the core truths of these characters intact? Everything is already there, it just needs some updating. Especially considering how wonderful many of these characters already are and one that is as influential and important as MJ.

Look at TSSM. You can make changes without ruining what makes these characters and stories so great in the first place. Stop making needless changes that don't have merit. What is it about the Spidey mythos that filmmakers don't like? What is it about the mythos that they just can't seem to grasp? Again, I'm waiting until the final product to make judgement.

Last edited:
Not even gonna bother wasting my time to actually read 4chan stuff lol

I could see that pic from the Homecoming dance with Zendaya looking on as the catalyst for her to think that she needs to step up her game and prompt her 'she's all that' transformation from ugly duckling into super-hot chick. I'll wait til I see how everything plays out but just reading what I wrote, goodness that just sounds awful. It's so cliche. I've played devil's advocate before about having MJ going thru that type of change because this is HS and not when we actually would be meeting MJ, during Pete's college years. So, essentially there'd be room for her to develop into the MJ that we all know. But, seeing what may come to fruition, this just seems awful. Truly.

It's not confirmed that she is MJ of course however if that was what they originially planned...I...why?? I don't get it. Now, I am reading that this is partly because they are blending the Peter universe with Miles? Is that accurate? Seriously, I don't understand why this is so difficult for studios/filmmakers. What is difficult about making a good adaptation of the source while keeping the core truths of these characters intact? Everything is already there, it just needs some updating. Especially considering how wonderful many of these characters already are and one that is as influential and important as MJ.

Look at TSSM. You can make changes without ruining what makes these characters and stories so great in the first place. Stop making needless changes that don't have merit. What is it about the Spidey mythos that filmmakers don't like? What is it about the mythos that they just can't seem to grasp? Again, I'm waiting until the final product to make judgement.

agreed. well said.

TSSM provided the perfect template for taking classic elements and updating them for modern times with some changes here and there - while still staying true to the fundamentals of the characters.

Not even gonna bother wasting my time to actually read 4chan stuff lol

I did. Grain of salt added.

I'm not on here nearly as much when I was following the ASM films from start to finish so I can't say much about the current process as I've not been keeping up with every little fine detail but I will say this...

There were many rumors that came out during the ASM productions and I remember thinking back at to how many people were saying things like "Sony can't be that stupid" "it's just a rumor--there's no credibility" etc etc. and then when a bunch of those rumors actually turned out to be true...

I'm giving Feige a lot of my faith but I can't turn a blind eye to these things either.

agreed. well said.

TSSM provided the perfect template for taking classic elements and updating them for modern times with some changes here and there - while still staying true to the fundamentals of the characters.

TSSM was too perfect for this world. :(

I did. Grain of salt added.

I'm not on here nearly as much when I was following the ASM films from start to finish so I can't say much about the current process as I've not been keeping up with every little fine detail but I will say this...

There were many rumors that came out during the ASM productions and I remember thinking back at to how many people were saying things like "Sony can't be that stupid" "it's just a rumor--there's no credibility" etc etc. and then when a bunch of those rumors actually turned out to be true...

I'm giving Feige a lot of my faith but I can't turn a blind eye to these things either.

Fair enough. I'm just not investing the time in it because I don't want to be spoiled whether it's true or not.

It's a shame TSSM only lasted for 2 seasons. I would have loved to see how the MJ/Peter relationship played out in the end, as well as Gwen's fate.

if left to continue to its natural conclusion, TSSM could very likely have become the definitive modern day telling of the Spidey mythos.

agreed. well said.

They really should've gotten Greg Weissman to be the screenwriter or consulting producer for this movie.

I'm telling you, if they bring on Dan Slott to be the writer or consultant for the next movie, I think that'll be it for me. It honestly wouldn't surprise me considering how much Marvel loves to placate him.

Also, I think if MJ is featured in this movie or the next ones (and I still believe there's very little chance of that), it'll probably be as Stark's new personal assistant (considering that he and Pepper are no longer an item). She'll also probably be much older than Peter.

They really should've gotten Greg Weissman to be the screenwriter or consulting producer for this movie.

I'm telling you, if they bring on Dan Slott to be the writer or consultant for the next movie, I think that'll be it for me. It honestly wouldn't surprise me considering how much Marvel loves to placate him.

Also, I think if MJ is featured in this movie or the next ones (and I still believe there's very little chance of that), it'll probably be as Stark's new personal assistant (considering that he and Pepper are no longer an item). She'll also probably be much older than Peter.

oh god, that latter scenario would be awful. another slap in the face of us MJ fans.

That would've been fantastic. SSM will never be topped as far as source-to-medium goes. They really nailed it all.

Slott is bad news.

Good grief, I'd hope not. :funny:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"