Apocalypse Things you didn't like in X-Men: Apocalypse (Spoilers)

Reminded me more of age of ultron when iron man, thor, vision all blast ultron

Yeah, I liked that moment. It shows how powerful Apocalypse really is. You have Magneto, Cyclops, Storm and (psychically) Professor X giving everything they have and it's still not enough. Only when Jean steps in, they have an edge. I mean, come on, I don't get the complaint that Apocalypse didn't feel like a threat. When he used Charles/cerebro to launch those rockets and when his eyes turned white and he stopped Quicksilver, I thought those were pretty scary moments.

Now, let's be a negative Nancy!

1. Obviously, Psylocke and Jubilee were wasted, aside from comicbook accurate costumes.
2. That moment between Jean and Wolverine was just too much and not needed.
3. Havok would've had a more memorable death if Apocalypse actually killed him.
4. The scenes of worldwide destruction didn't do anything and were also not really needed. The movie would've worked perfectly with just the Egypt battle.
5. No mention of the link between Nightcrawler and Mystique, but I could understand it wasn't really essential to the plot.
6. I wish there were a bit more references to the 80s.
7. And my endless rant: Moira didn't get to use her gun.

I think Apocalypse's powers were not portrayed well. He was overpowered with the telekinesis and yet physically underpowered.

I felt the impact of the nuclear launches was not felt in the rest of the film. I totally liked the idea but it didn't play a large enough role in the plot (it happens too late in the film). It results in the gov't greenlighting an assault on the school, but beyond that there wasn't a consequence. They did at least acknowledge in the last scene that the event had likely set into motion once again the Sentinel program (and Prof. X was anticipating conflicts).

Other than that-- it was awesome fun.

On Havok- I think he will be back. Havok can survive that.

Last edited:
I think Apocalypse's powers were not portrayed well. He was overpowered with the telekinesis and yet physically underpowered.

I felt the impact of the nuclear launches was not felt in the rest of the film. I totally liked the idea but it didn't play a large enough role in the plot (it happens too late in the film). It results in the gov't greenlighting an assault on the school, but beyond that there wasn't a consequence. They did at least acknowledge in the last scene that the event had likely set into motion once again the Sentinel program (and Prof. X was anticipating conflicts).

Other than that-- it was awesome fun.

On Havok- I think he will be back. Havok can survive that.

Lol yea I really think Havok is dead, if he were alive I would think they would've found him as they were rebuilding the school.

I still quite love this messy picture, but it had some definitive flaws.

1. Havok's death. If Apocalypse had killed him right before the explosion, that would have been powerful. Now it just felt weird how he disappeared into the flames, and kind of made the whole Quicksilver scene bit of a downer.

2. Completely green screened third act. I understand that such a set doesn't, or couldn't exist, but it didn't look nearly convincing enough. Both shots outside and in Apocalypses pyramid looked underwhelming. One would have though they'd have the budget for better results.

3. Lame fight scenes. I'm not a fan of brawling, but I could have used some here. The fights don't feel physical at all, rather just a mess of effects, and the X-Men can do more than just shoot beams or electricity. I want more physicality and imagination. DOFP had plenty, compared to what we got now. The only fight scene that I was impressed with was probably Beast vs Psylocke, and that didn't run for long enough.

4. Pacing. It got weird at times, and felt more like an episode of Game of Thrones than a movie.

Angel's metal wings. I never dug the look of them. I actually was a bit disappointed in his natural wings a bit. I didn't like their talons. Also I wasn't too keen on the transformation process just being Apocalypse's superpower rather than a more involved transformation scene with alien tech as I had hoped.

Havok's death didn't quite have the impact it should have for me. I also wasn't fond of killing him off. Though considering how it was shot I would hope they could do some sort of return in a later film.

Weapon X's helmet and the writing of the cameo. Wasn't happy they changed the helmet so they didn't have the red visor. Felt like it was just so they could show his face. I liked the cameo overall and it's reminiscent of X2, but it's arguably not needed and like a few scenes in the film that felt like it needed another pass at writing it and/or a better take from the actors.

Also having the X-men does feel kinda intrusive to something that should really be Wolverine's alone.

I liked the film. However:
1- My main concern is the way Apocalypse was treated. His powers are not well defined and inconsistent. I don't know why he could turn a whole city into a piramid in seconds, yet lose a fight with teenagers.
2- The betrayal. Magneto is understandable to a certain point, although it would work best if the reason was QS. But Storm? Also useless horsemen, apoc himself says it.
3- Apoc dying thus finishing off one of the greatest enemies in the X-men universe? It was a very fool move from the writers part.
4- Lack of Apoc's development, past battles, past achievements. The movie should have had 15 minutes more at least, with said scenes.

1] Apocalypse is a weak, weak villain.

2] Failing to convincingly age characters.

3] Human Beast has long outstayed his welcome.

4] Sub-par action and effects.

5] Wandering tone, melodrama.

6] Poorly executed Wolverine cameo.

Sadly a few things irked me:

1. Waste of Apoc, needed better writing and more backdrop. (decent performance by Issac though just not utilized well enough)
2. Lack of development for three out of four horsemen
3. Characters just forgotten about or neglected in final twenty minutes
4. Lack of real suspense and surprises, fairly predictable outcome, complete opposite to DOFP
5. Some dodgy looking sets
6. Wolverine cameo was pointless and a retread ala Amazing Spiderman
7. Some odd/awkward moments, QS and Mystique trying to talk to Mags just felt off.
8. Just not up to this series usual high standards.

I liked the film. However:
1- My main concern is the way Apocalypse was treated. His powers are not well defined and inconsistent. I don't know why he could turn a whole city into a piramid in seconds, yet lose a fight with teenagers.
2- The betrayal. Magneto is understandable to a certain point, although it would work best if the reason was QS. But Storm? Also useless horsemen, apoc himself says it.
3- Apoc dying thus finishing off one of the greatest enemies in the X-men universe? It was a very fool move from the writers part.
4- Lack of Apoc's development, past battles, past achievements. The movie should have had 15 minutes more at least, with said scenes.

When Apocalypse said useless he wasn't speaking of Storm but yet the mangled mess of Angel, you tried it. Also I can see Storm was scared and was like what did I get myself into so I can see why she betrayed him.

Can someone please tell me Jubilees purpose was for being in this movie, she truly was the biggest waste, there is no reason her being there so long and not taking part in the final battle especially since for most of them this was their first battle. It would've been great to see her in action against Apocalypse.

Last edited:
I think Sweet Dreams is a fantastic song but there are plenty of 80's songs that would have better suited the personality of Quick Silver and the meaning of the scene.Here are a couple which may have worked:

Everywhere - Fleetwood Mac
Time after Time - Cyndi Lauper
Under Pressure - Queen & Bowie

Some more light hearted ones would be:
Like a Prayer - Madonna
Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi

These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there could've have been better choices.
Prob best scene even if it was a rehash. The movie had so many more flaws.

Another thing, if I were the XMen I would just take Quick Silver everywhere. That dude can basically stop time and do anything, a little over powered imo.

I think Sweet Dreams is a fantastic song but there are plenty of 80's songs that would have better suited the personality of Quick Silver and the meaning of the scene.Here are a couple which may have worked:

Like a Prayer - Madonna

These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there could've have been better choices.

Another thing, if I were the XMen I would just take Quick Silver everywhere. That dude can basically stop time and do anything, a little over powered imo.

I said myself that Sweet Dreams was an odd choice for the mansion blowing up... but remember that whatever song they chose, it would really have to be from the year the film was set (1983).

Like a Prayer - Madonna

Everywhere - Fleetwood Mac is 1987
Time after Time - Cyndi Lauper is 1988
Like a Prayer - Madonna is 1989
Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi is 1986

Everywhere - Fleetwood Mac is 1987
Time after Time - Cyndi Lauper is 1988
Like a Prayer - Madonna is 1989
Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi is 1986

Time AFter Time if from 83/84, it was Cyndis second single and first #1 after Girls Just Want to Have only peaked at #2

I said myself that Sweet Dreams was an odd choice for the mansion blowing up... but remember that whatever song they chose, it would really have to be from the year the film was set (1983).

Ok, how about Burning Down the House by The Talking Heads or is that too on the nose?

Ok, how about Burning Down the House by The Talking Heads or is that too on the nose?

LOL... a bit too much, yes...

Remember, the mansion blew up and Havok died... Although Quicksilver's actions had comedy to them, the song (I think) could have been a bit more relevant. Sweet Dreams has a great energetic sound for that scene, but the title and lyrics seem a little odd...

This was the year of Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down album but the song isn't very energetic for this sequence.

They could have tried...

Culture Club - Time (Clock of the Heart ... but it's a bit slow
Bowie - Let's Dance ... that could have worked if Bowie's estate agreed but it's not got as pumping a beat as Sweet Dreams
Michael Sembello - Maniac ... fits the superfast nature of what was going on but lyrics are about a woman being a maniac and that doesn't fit Quicksilver

Oh, I dunno, maybe I'm fussing and Sweet Dreams was okay...the whole sequence was a bit like a dream...

I enjoyed the film but I will say this. I really hope the next movie isn't yet another Charles vs Erik story, we've had quite a few of those already.

Hopefully now that the team is established, we can get a movie that focuses on the X-Men.

apocalypse not morphing or using his powers
psylocke angel storm underused
lack of fight sequences/ power display in last act
mystique leading x men

Not to spoiler comic book movies for you but how often do you watch comic book movies where you think the villain could win? i mean i never watched avengers AOA thinking Ultron was gonna win, most the time is just the drama of the build up that matters

I agree. :)

Stop complaining :woot:.
giphy.gif

Since when you became the authority here to tell that to forum members :whatever: May I remind you, the thread was created by someone to post things that we didn't like in the movie and that is just what I did and it was in a spoiler tag which you could have just easily skipped. I didn't know I have to do the opposite to please you. I don't even know you.

Last edited:
Guys, stop fighting. :woot:

Yeah, I have to add: the fact that Xavier was calling on to Jean to "unleash your power" felt off. :huh:

1) Magneto's story, well acted, poorly written. And because of this, everything related to this felt not right. Have to take it as it is to be able to enjoy that stuff.

2) Stryker/Wolverine sequence IMO distracts the pace, not well thought out and not completely necessary.

3) QS sequence is cool but the tone is off (still awesome to have it, need a bit of tightening up at the end with a bit more emotion punch (Hello, Alex is dead!!))

I was pretty much fine with all other stuff (as a non-comic book fan).

Yeah, I have to add: the fact that Xavier was calling on to Jean to "unleash your power" felt off. :huh:

really? for me this moment solved the biggest problems of Ratner's take on the Phoenix Saga: A powerful women needs to be controlled!! Jean becomes basically in a psychological sense a women suffering "female hysteria"...I found this take on Jean Grey extremely misogynistic!

in X-Men: Apocalpyse it is actually the opposite: Jean is encouraged by her mentor to let lose and be powerful! She is shown as a strong self-determined lead the entire movie who shows agency. In contrast to Jean Grey in X3 which needs to be killed by the male lead to be "saved".

I found it a great solution for her character arc in the entire franchise.

Well to be fair if there was any time as ever for jean to "unleash her power" it would be there, if it was every day at the mansion then no you don't want jean to slip up and unleash that power

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"