Thor: Ragnarok The Official News and Speculation Thread - - - - Part 13

Today i rewatched Ragnarok for like the 8 or 9th time. It went by like a breeze of fresh air. It’s easily the most rewatchable MCU movie in my book.

Early in the MCU, fans used to say that a lot about the first Thor movie, oddly enough. Ragnarok is obviously a much better movie, but I basically agree in both cases. The Thor/Loki dynamic is a big part of it. The early Thor films weren't great as films, but it was always fun watching the two of them.

Ragnarok has grown on me a lot, I didn't love it initially, I guess because it's almost a parody at times, but it has many hilarious moments, cool visual design, and some great action sequences. Definitely a fun movie to rewatch, it never drags.

I love the line from Odin, "Are you Thor, God of Hammers?"

It's almost like one of those cliche movie lines where someone points out the obvious. As obvious as it may be, it just works. It immediately gives Thor this clarity he didn't have before. Such a cool moment.

I've rewatched Ragnarok about 5 times, I think. It's the sleeper hit of the MCU imo. I love it.

Saw these on Twitter and couldn't help but smile.
Among other things... Best looking MCU movie.

D5vKSJ2W4AAOS5v.jpg

D5wtzfzWkAAoDGM.jpg

D50AnE0WwAAmKYx.jpg

D513ZVuWwAAK2Qt.jpg

D5zzAUNXkAAQIFM.jpg

D513MdBXsAUwtnp.jpg

D513hE3WAAY69Ih.jpg
D513rmXWwAUytf6.jpg

D514HbXXoAAf7N0.jpg

So, it looks like Quentin Tarantino is catching up on the MCU and he said that Ragnarok is his favourite so far. How cool is that?

So, it looks like Quentin Tarantino is catching up on the MCU and he said that Ragnarok is his favourite so far. How cool is that?

I figured Tarantino would like the Thor movies best because they always use the n-word ("Norsemen").

While I was looking forward to his Akira, I just can’t be disappointed at this news, Ragnorak was great and Waititi coming back is just such good news.

Please bring back Hulk also, us Hulk fans deserve a break after the one-two gut punch that was Infinity War and Endgame (speaking only of Hulks role, or lack of BTW).

I wonder what this means for Thor in Guardians bc that seemed like the next logical place for him to show up

While I was looking forward to his Akira, I just can’t be disappointed at this news, Ragnorak was great and Waititi coming back is just such good news.

Please bring back Hulk also, us Hulk fans deserve a break after the one-two gut punch that was Infinity War and Endgame (speaking only of Hulks role, or lack of BTW).
Nah, Id rather they keep him out bc that teamup was already done in Ragnarok. They can find somewhere else to put Hulk

I would really like for them to return to an old, earlier description of Ragnarok that said it was a "Cosmic road trip buddy movie".

Not that I don't want to see more of the Thor/Hulk dynamic, but I'd rather see Hulk in another solo film of his own. I realize that's probably just wishful thinking. The Universal deal is turning out to be worse than Fox and Sony as hard as that is to believe.

Finally a glimpse at the alley deleted scene from Ragnarok where Odin was suppose to die at the hands of Hela.
Check out the background.
- "Journey Into Mystery"
- "Thunder Love"

90c1394b6008ec7269846eec2df7c9294c49ef5a.gifv

They were smart enough to notice that Odin deserved a better ending. One of the best examples that reshoots are not always bad.

Another gallery was just supposedly released and is being shown around different comic book related news sites.

All the pictures can be viewed at either of the following links: CBM as can be seen here: THOR: RAGNAROK Concept Art Reveals Shocking New Designs For Surtur, Hela, And The Rest Of The Eclectic Cast as well as the "Worlds Greatest Detective" website here: THOR: RAGNAROK Concept Art Reveals Shocking New Designs For Surtur, Hela, And The Rest Of The Eclectic Cast – Worlds Greatest Detective

I like the designs more so than that seen in the film. Sure some designs that may not look as appealing in a poster but are in the movie mesh moreso with the script elements and tone of film being made. Still, I'll give my favorites regardless of what would work in the Ragnarok film and moreso in terms of what design I like the best and feel has the most presence.
1) Surture

N3HgGnkm_o.jpg

I liked this one best out of the designs shown overall. It's a re-invented look but keeping the classical tiara still melding into a skull like face mask perhaps incorporated into some sort of contraption like garb that this being is summoned forth within assuming a more indistinct humanoid outline without filling every detail in as I think is appropriate. The glyphs give an ancient sort of touch (wasn't liking the shoulder pads at first but are growing on me more so as instead of a tunic perhaps maybe a part of a ceremonial outfit this being summons forth in). The sparks enveloping the neck area seem to take on some sort of geometry around the face area and exemplify an almost electric kind of energized presence. There is no face but only fire as is befitting of a fire demon. This is the meanest look no doubt.

Oh, and does this not look like an image one would imagine a hellish abode designed by HR Giger too maybe look? The games Diablo and Doom come to mind as well.

VA3HjDV7_o.jpg

2) Other Creatures in Surtur's Realm
NnWeP8Si_o.jpg

The above image is more an alternate design for Surtur but I think works better for one of his underlings. It can't see and crawls around sort of like something one would expect from a Clive Barker novel fits as a being living a pleasurless/mindless existence in the hellish sort of realm as pictured above. If anyone's ever seen the movie "The Immortals" (a decent enough movie that's received unfair criticism in my opinion) with the Titans battling the Greek gods at the end of the film just imagine these things constantly popping out of nowhere wanting to end their own suffering just keep regenerating over and over again. Pretty dark take and not where this film obviously was going but one can imagine nonetheless.

3) Some Alternate Designs for Thor and Hulk from different scenes of the film
Long Haired Hulk is my favorite out of the various Hulk designs as he's been away a while so would fittingly look a bit scraggly plus being out of sorts in a new environment this would be a fitting new look I think.
SbWNk4mG_o.jpg

Hulk doesn't need armor so probably would've just kept him like that in the beginning of a Planet Hulk movie (to me Ragnarok was 2 movies meshed into 1). Then, perhaps moving onto a gladiator outfit towards the end of the film... To avoid posting too many photos in 1 post I'll just say the one with the yellow paint at link above combined with the weaponry and shoulder pad of the one with the green paint then adorning the gladiator helmet and perhaps rest of outfit as seen in the last gladiator image.

As for Thor:
5wCHAf6v_o.jpg

Only thing I don't like is leaving 1 arm armored and the other not (I'd go either/or but preferably armored) but the outfit seems to have more depth and looks more fabric like than the one used in the movie which I like.

There's some streamlined gladiator outfits too at link above. I like the blue one but I think it makes more sense to not give him a completely new outfit in his very first battle so the movie gladiator outfit with helmet works well enough.

Last edited:
I suppose I should've just posted all the images but I'll just continue listing my favorites to finish off what started and maybe make a separate posts with all the leftovers later:

4) Grand Master
1020tZJM_o.jpg

Multiple designs are listed. There's a more scary one that looks almost Darth Sidious like but this one I think captures the fact that he's very old and perhaps wise. Jeff Goldblum's look I suppose captures the more humorous depiction as needed in Ragnarok but to me this is the character.

5) Hela
All the designs seem to be very elaborate and not really practical nor really having a story behind it. In other words, they all look fittingly 2D like something see in a comic or in a videogame which is fine for live action at times I suppose. Still this design I think is a step in the right direction:

o48OszcT_o.jpg

D04k5GEx_o.jpg

The picture above seems to be over the top design wise but aesthetic wise seems to work.

There's a sequential endowment to the whole outfit with the black smoke incorporated in to really show this as not so much an overly streamlined manga like character (or robot) as seen in some of the other designs but moreso an Asgardian nomad shaman of sorts that I think works with the idea of the character.

I can somewhat imagine a song from Fever Ray playing in the background looking at it.

6) Valkyrie

I like this design best. It's elaborate and very overly done but pomp is where it's at with the notion of the Valkyries.
bGhUXT48_o.jpg

7) Loki
None of the designs seem to stick out more so than the movie even though look really good. A lot of interesting color schemes but mostly seem kind of flat and overly done from a practical clothing standpoint. There's some that go a more natural route too but I don't think really capture the character as well as the more flat looking ones.

8) Misc.
I didn't like the design for Miek in the movie as too insect like and disgusting. A crazy gremlin like creature like would see on the hood of an airplane in Twilight Zone or Slimer like I would've preferred as a colorful sidekick for Korg goes.
IULLyenV_o.jpg

Korg I kind of don't care much about but perhaps just re-do on the rock creature from Thor 2 is the design that seems to work for these beings. I'm not sure how this version would meld with a colorful sidekick but I'm sure there would be a way to make it work...

In summary, that's what I saw that was my favorites from the new gallery.

Last edited:
Today, another separate gallery was just shown for the movie as well with artwork more-so pertaining to action shots or scenic based imagery (mainly on Sakaar), and ship design: THOR: RAGNAROK Keyframes Feature Thor Vs. Hulk, An Unleashed Fenris Wolf, And An Even More Colorful Sakaar

Here's a few of my favorite but by no means all of the images:

ThIcfENI_o.jpg

4a8qtqRh_o.jpg

Fcw0dpJR_o.jpg

3cL8lXuq_o.jpg

dzzxY9S2_o.jpg

jxbtXOTW_o.jpg

PwirCuxd_o.jpg

yqe9b2ET_o.jpg

The above seem moreso a fantastical wasteland exaggeration of Blade Runner set on another world; some 70's Fantasy authors perhaps come to mind as well.

There's some other pretty neat dystopian lost city take scenes I like as well:
DUC3xBu6_o.jpg

OgPcnTR5_o.jpg

TQ7LrjkE_o.jpg

bCJBEIQS_o.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members