Thor: Ragnarok The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Empire set visit information from the magazine.

With Mjolnir destroyed by Hela and a de-powering "obedience disk" attached, "He's gotta use his smarts and his charisma and his savvy to navigate his way off this world.
Obedience disk confirmed.

Very interesting. I wonder if that plays into the end of the fight, if they want to make it a draw?

I imagine every fight they have will end in the equivalent of a draw unless there is some big factor affecting the fight.

Ragnarok will see Thor battling the demonic Surtur ("a Mafia kingpin-type old school guy from the age of Odin" says Winderbum) in the fiery realm of Muspelheim.
As Dan Hennah gives Empire a tour around a vast, circular Asgardian plaza constructed on the backlot, he describes the production as "on the scale of one of The Lord of The Rings films".

Are set visit reports slowly starting to come out?
The information i shared was from the Empire set visit which was released in magazine form a while back. There's more information and interesting quotes from cast and crew in that set visit and when i can i'll post it here.

I like the sound of LotR scale even if an exaggeration.
The person who made the comparison was Dan Hennah, he's the production designer for Thor Ragnarok... and he actually won a oscar for The Lord of The Rings: The Return of the King and was nominated for oscars with TLOTR: Fellowship of the Ring, TLOTR: The Two Towers, King Kong and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

So i would guess he knows what he is talking about. :cwink:

[YT]d29Ex3lV-q4[/YT]
latest

Well those are some good credentials to be making comparisons like that lol.

That next trailer is gonna show us the scope of this film. I hope that LOTR comparison is spot on. We have really only scratched the surface with the contents of the film so far.

Dan Hennah is the man. If he says the scale is equivalent to LotR then I believe him, few people know what they're talking about when it comes to LotR like he does.

They brought it forward from the 27th October. Also Bonfire Night tends to happen anywhere from the start of October to the end of November depending on when everyone else is having their party or when your uncle Dave can get you The Good Fireworks from his mate Nigel down the pub. It really wouldn't influence the release date of a film in the UK!

Still, Tuesday is an odd day for a film release. Its usually a few screenings in some selected cinemas on Wednesday/Thursday with general release on a Friday. Im not going to complain though as I have that whole week off work.

:hehe: So true.

I have that week off work too! That's why I'm extra happy the release date is being moved forward. I wonder how many viewings I can fit in from Tuesday to Sunday? :cwink:

I read somewhere around here that the premier was supposedly October 18th. I think it was Fin who wrote it but i'm not sure.

The website I took the info from says the premiere is in LA on October 11th. :yay:

Yes! Gonna see it even earlier!

I can't believe we're actually the first country to get it, sometimes being a Brit pays off. :woot:

If these shots happen to be the final battle of the movie... then yeah I can see it.

eYkyjgT.jpg

X5PHKu5.jpg

E2CqoTe.png

Those shots are probably a flashback to Valkyrie's fall from grace imo.

Hannah said that the production was the size of that of a LotR film, which is not the same as saying as the film is. I don't expect to see armies like in RotK, although scale is of course something that can be large in different ways.

The website I took the info from says the premiere is in LA on October 11th.
Ok. That's quite early then and wouldn't line up with the other stuff i had pointed out. I guess we gotta wait and see to be sure.

If these shots happen to be the final battle of the movie... then yeah I can see it.
I think those shots are not the final battle of the movie. I'm pretty convinced that those shots are part of the "prelude" for the movie describing Hela and what she is all about and also shedding light on what was her conflict with the Valkyries all about. I also see those scenes as a backstory for Valkyrie's character and her motivations to abandon Asgard...

The previous Thor movies are known to have had those "flashbacks" scenes to show us the villains, their origins and motivations. I guess this could happen again in Ragnarok. I gotta say i personally always loved those scenes, the scope was so much bigger and they always gave more depth to the 9 realms mythos which was great.

[YT]ZTibNrgLcoQ[/YT][YT]Kdinez3Ac28[/YT]

Last edited:
As Dan Hennah gives Empire a tour around a vast, circular Asgardian plaza constructed on the backlot, he describes the production as "on the scale of one of The Lord of The Rings films".
He was walking around this specific set when he made that comparison. I think one can understand why he made that comparison. In the video one can also see part of the Sakaar set.

wgui6i6ms1ic.jpg

[YT]wFIcaIa33H8[/YT]

Yes it's much better that he can do all this without Mjolnir. Really glad they are going to show even the MCU Thor like this.

I thought we were never going to see it happen, until Age of Ultron hinted at it with the cave scene and flash backs.

Obedience disk confirmed.

Thor and Hulk dont look very "de-powered" they both seem to still have their super strength and durability.

Last edited:
Thor and Hulk dont look very "de-powered" they both seem to still have their super strength and durability.
I guess the "obedience disk" is used as a safe measure. If they threat to break loose then it would come into effect. Otherwise you would probably want them to be fully powered while fighting each other so they could have the biggest spectacle possible.

On the other side Hulk is the "home" champion for some time now. So he probably is just "running loose".

I thought we were never going to see it happen, until Age of Ultron hinted at it with the cave scene and flash backs.
I find it quite boring if Thor is totally reliant on his hammer and not at least powerful on some level without. I prefer the hammer to just be a huge bonus.

I guess the "obedience disk" is used as a safe measure. If they threat to break loose then it would come into effect. Otherwise you would probably want them to be fully powered while fighting each other so they could have the biggest spectacle possible.

On the other side Hulk is the "home" champion for some time now. So he probably is just "running loose".

Yeah I'm really feeling that Hulk isn't being controlled at all. He seems to be set up to love it on Sakaar and is fighting Thor because fighting is what he does. Him having an obedience disk doesn't make sense for a champion who has his own custom, ornate bed and is widely celebrated. Thor's the prisoner being forced to fight and is the God of Thunder, so some sort of restraint makes perfect sense for him.

I can almost see him being "running loose" to play a part in Thor, Loki and Valkyrie's escape plans. They just have to get Hulk to agree to leaving (or as it seems, Thor somehow brings Bruce out since he hasn't been out for years, and then Bruce agrees) and since he isn't being leashed by the Grandmaster in any way, he's the perfect wildcard.

I find it quite boring if Thor is totally reliant on his hammer and not at least powerful on some level without. I prefer the hammer to just be a huge bonus.
Hopefully the movie allows Thor to bring out his inner power. That way he can have the confidence to perform cooler moves and combos when he gets the hammer back. He seems to only toss it and call it back in the MCU. I want him to charge it up with some lightening, create some whirlwinds and stuff.

Hopefully the movie allows Thor to bring out his inner power. That way he can have the confidence to perform cooler moves and combos when he gets the hammer back. He seems to only toss it and call it back in the MCU. I want him to charge it up with some lightening, create some whirlwinds and stuff.

He has done all that :huh:

In Thor 1 he created a whirlwind that lifted up the Destroyer before he took it out.

In Avengers he charged up the hammer to hit Stark (unintentionally giving him a power boost) and later enough lightning to take down one of the leviathans coming though the portal.

In Thor 2 he tried to destroy the Aether with lightning too. And in AOU he used lightning to finish Visions creation, was using a blast from the Hammer to wreck Ultron (along with Vision and Iron-Man), and lastly he charged the hammer before hitting the other end of Ultrons machine which destroyed the floating city.

Definitely and it's a disservice to the character for Thor not to be powerful on his own.

Yeah the depowering probably kicks in once Thor tries to escape.

Last edited:
He's done more with Mjolnir then just toss it.

He has done all that :huh:

In Thor 1 he created a whirlwind that lifted up the Destroyer before he took it out.

In Avengers he charged up the hammer to hit Stark (unintentionally giving him a power boost) and later enough lightning to take down one of the leviathans coming though the portal.

In Thor 2 he tried to destroy the Aether with lightning too. And in AOU he used lightning to finish Visions creation, was using a blast from the Hammer to wreck Ultron (along with Vision and Iron-Man), and lastly he charged the hammer before hitting the other end of Ultrons machine which destroyed the floating city.
I know he created the whirlwind vortex vs Destroyer.
I remember the Stark fight but not the leviathan strike. Unless the leviathan one was when him and Hulk were both fighting on top of it and he hits the sharp piece into the leviathan.

I sort of erased most of Thor 2 from my memory.

In battle it feels like he only uses the tossing and swinging skill. That is what I guess I should have said. I know he used lightening to power things up or overcharge them. I just want to see him do some destructive moves in battle. Create mini whirlwinds charged with lightening, call it to strike someone down or use as a distraction.

I know he created the whirlwind vortex vs Destroyer.
I remember the Stark fight but not the leviathan strike. Unless the leviathan one was when him and Hulk were both fighting on top of it and he hits the sharp piece into the leviathan.

I sort of erased most of Thor 2 from my memory.

In battle it feels like he only uses the tossing and swinging skill. That is what I guess I should have said. I know he used lightening to power things up or overcharge them. I just want to see him do some destructive moves in battle. Create mini whirlwinds charged with lightening, call it to strike someone down or use as a distraction.

Probably talking about this scene.....

[YT]WbLI-mk6R-0[/YT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"