Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux - Part 2

Discussion in 'Thor: The Dark World' started by Thread Manager, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Silvermoon

Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

Personally, I thought more Soccer (or Football for those across the pond) with that kick *lol*

2. Feenix

Feenix Well-Known Member

It is a nice kick isn't it :funny:

He has a spring in his step with it. Cha cha cha!

3. Godzilla2000

Godzilla2000 Dollar Store Diva

When he was promoting Thor in a press junket chat, Tom did say if he was a sex changed Loki he'd want to pole dance.

4. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

Yeah but what's funnier is you have every other main Character in that book (Warriors of the Realm) with alittle blurb like that, and two or three paragrahs about the character, even Malekith, kurse and the Darkelves! lol

5. Godzilla2000

Godzilla2000 Dollar Store Diva

Can we get a scan of that page from the Thor Dark World kids' book?

6. Silvermoon

New clip with some banter between Thor & Loki:

7. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

They have such great chemistry. "Well done, you just decapitated your grandfather." That's a great line.

8. ItsMadness

ItsMadness Well-Known Member

:lmao: Who'd have thought Loki was such a back-seat driver?

9. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

It's an established fact that Loki loves the sound of his own voice. He is incapable of shutting the Hell up no matter the situation.

10. ItsMadness

Well, one of his kennings is Silver-tongue. :cwink:

11. LadyGeek

LadyGeek Well-Known Member

Thank goodness I'm such a lady; otherwise this clip would have made me pee my pants. :yay:

12. voyzovrezon

voyzovrezon nobody's fool

"Thank you for the commentary Loki. It's not at all distracting!" :hehe:

13. ItsMadness

"I think you missed a column-"
    "Shut up!"

:funny:

14. Silvermoon

"Well done, you've just decapitated your grandfather."

15. Feenix

Feenix Well-Known Member

16. ItsMadness

Heh, I wondered why the first trailer showed a ship crashing into an Asgardian tower. Was the pilot dead or something? Did it get attacked and stop working?

...nope. Thor's driving.

17. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

CRUD I forgot to scan it! :doh:

18. Verbal21

Verbal21 Well-Known Member

If you inserted any cockpit banter from any Star Wars movie, you'd think that was the original clip,lol

19. Moonwing

Moonwing Well-Known Member

BTW the writer of new Loki series said that Loki now officially bi cam out of nowhere really and look like fandom pandering to me. We will see thought.

20. balanda

balanda Active Member

Okay, to go off topic to the comics a bit, Loki was always the slightly odd duck, more effeminate than the rest of the manly-man pantheon, even if he's misogynist and wishing to assert his masculinity. He was willing to steal a woman's body and saunter around in that being glamorous, too. So the news that he'll be shapeshifting sex in this series isn't such a shock. And he seemed a bit flirty towards men in that "female" body too (even with Balder, ew Loki). Who knows, maybe his "bisexuality" will just be flirting with dudes to get what he wants whilst in that form.

As for "came out of nowhere", there was a time, a very long homophobic time, when no character was written to have same-gender interests. Some fans who have followed more of his story than mine say there was some hints at it (and certainly it's villains who tend to get saddled with non-masculine-hetero traits). Loki is in a new, teenage body, having spent time with young, queer, modern, humans, and he's hellbent on change, so I don't find it too unprecedented that he might be more interested in sex. And we all know that a) sexuality is fluid b) not all bisexuals are always with both/all genders all the time, right? c) sexuality =/= personality

Arguing that (because of homophobia), long running characters weren't explicitly shown to be queer before, and now are in less homophobic times, therefore they shouldn't be now, is an argument I have little patience with, especially as we haven't even seen how the story is handled. It's not like anyone's claiming Loki isn't still interested in women, though sometimes that change happens in real life.

Fanservice? Something else I notice when queer elements are introduced, how much people say things like this, or "politically correct" or "gratuitous" or "clumsy" or "obtrusive" or "unrealistic" or "disservice to the plotline and characters". This is singling out this one thing for attention and criticism, as if queerness is not something that is as natural and common as breathing. It's not a "special" thing, it's just a fact of life that has been deliberately and egregiously omitted in fiction until recently, and still gets singled out by well-meaning liberals as a being bit kinkier and rarefied or as some put it thinking they're not homophobic, "hip". Excuse me.

Unlike the wank fantasies that are most superhero comics for men, Marvel are obviously trying to do one for women, I mean how many times can you shove the word "sexy" into an interview. They admitted they're inspired by Hiddleston's movie Loki. They want some of that fangirl money. Let's look at Thor: The Dark World. In how many ways are they using fanservice to sell to audiences? Oh, they made Thor hot. They took his top off again. They introduced comic relief via Darcy. Jane's the romantic old-fashioned sort to conveniently be the damsel to the hero. Let's put her in danger. Let's put in some really big explosions. Yeah, and some heads really getting kicked in. Loki's popular so let's focus a bit more on him. Let's have a human audience identifier and make her the fish out of water this time. I'm yet to read anyone complaining that the deliberate inclusion of fan-pleasing elements will automatically make the in-universe seem pandery and false (except where Loki for Teh Fangirls is concerned).

So I'd rather see the actual comic, and see how this new, teenage, super-spy, "sexy" Loki carries himself, before criticising it as contrived and "hip".

21. Moonwing

I do not like the quotes from writer about this comic so I do not get my hopes high. It`s all sound like fan service for tumblr crowd: "big, dumb, jock of a brother Thor", "sexy Loki", "bi Loki", "redemption-but-not-redemption", "he is sooo cooool I cant call him a villain", "booty shots!", "he loves humans now just as his brother!". I give you that he is probably purposely exaggerate things and we have to look and see what come out of it but I am wary. So I am not against this as a fact I just want a somehow more subtle and elegant approach because if not next thing we will see Loki siting on Thor`s lap for real.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  22. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

In mythology Loki is the mother of Sleipnir so there's plenty of precedence for all sorts of weird sexuality. Far weirder than what seemed to chock some posters a few weeks ago.

23. balanda

balanda Active Member

"because if not next thing we will see Loki siting on Thor`s lap for real"
    I'm sorry, are you confusing queer sexuality with incest? Because maybe you are joking, but we have seen absolutely NOTHING from the author to indicate incest, and it's really dodgy of you to draw that inference.

He's joking about the jock thing. Jeezus louise. He's talking from Loki's point of view. I thought that was really obvious. Yes, he's exaggerating, lying, provoking the reader, and considering he says he identifies strongly with Loki, I'm going to guess it's his personality. And that it's a really good trait to be writing a trickster. Are these actual quotes from Al Ewing? Because maybe you've read an article I haven't, but I think it's likely you're putting your own paraphrasing on it, and that's really not what I think he said. He's talked about guilt. Lots and lots of guilt. Bring on the guilt, say I. From what I've read from Ewing I think there's going to be quite a lot of darkness in this series. Loki trying to change, and failing, and trying again, because he's self-destructive and bitter and selfish. But also charming and joking, and I think, as a spy, good chances he'll be subtle and elegant.

How much we could talk about the genderedness of the criticism "fan service for the tumblr crowd". But I've already said enough on why I think that's a ridiculous criticism for a series that hasn't even come out yet.

Here's hoping Ewing follows through, anyway.

24. balanda

balanda Active Member

Most modern adaptations of Loki I've read seem to have some kind of non-normative gendersex thing going on, and in the myths he was definitely what the Norse would have called argr (unmanly), though Loki pointed out that Odin wasn't exactly the manliest of men either. They both lived as women for a time, apparently. There's also some interesting scholarly analysis of the fragments of myths that survive that address evidence pointing to Loki and Odin being lovers. Male-on-male sex wasn't actually disallowed in Norse society, and the "giving" partner had his masculinity in no way compromised. Vikings often raped their vanquished male foes. The "receiving" partner was seen like a woman. With the advent of Christianity, male-on-male sex was consequently treated as sinful, and so scholars of myth have to sift through the written remains of the old heathen religion with an eye to the Christian bias when it was written down, often centuries later.

Male priests often cross-dressed, especially those of Odin, god of seidr. Seidr was the women's form of magic and so involved "becoming" a woman by dressing as one in order to be possessed (like being penetrated) by the magic, using techniques such as mushrooms and self-torture to effect a trance. Berserkers also used seidr to be possessed by the bear and the wolf, despite their modern macho reputation. It was all pretty tribal and strange for us. Most common men were devotees of the macho, straightforward Thor and Tyr; Odin was too scary as the god of death for most to follow specifically. Marvel's version(s) of Asgard is obviously very different to that of the Norse.

tl;dr off topic

25. Moonwing

Wording is strange to me no matter "whose point of view" they are they are modern internet language. In his MA interviews he sounds completely different.

There is a potential in this series, yes, and it will be another asgardian book for me to read but I am wary because YA already getting on my nerves sometimes with fan awareness. But it`s important for this series to reach its potential it should avoid cancellation, but I am sadly do not see it, and many other ALL NEW marvel NOW! series avoiding it in a year or so.

Incest was a joke, sure, like how far can fan-servise go, that will be the absolute top.