Torchwood - Part 1

Enjoyed the finale but if it does come back for another season, I kind of want them to get back to some alien cases.

Best Torchwood quote of the week I heard :funny:

Worst special effects ever on the blessing. I was born with one of those and mine looks better than that thing did

Enjoyed the finale but if it does come back for another season, I kind of want them to get back to some alien cases.

I'd like to see them return to the monster-of-the-week formula. They've done two seasons of one long drawn-out story, and I'd like to see them return to a new story per week.

Agreed. The finale was awesome but the whole season was too long. If they do more seasons they should go back to the formula of seasons 1 & 2 or if they want to continue with one single plot they should make the season shorter like Children of Earth which was just awesome.

I feel like the story could have spanned 7 episodes instead. It would be nice to see the series take place at another rift in the US. If the Starz wants to do another series, but keep it in the US, they could have Torchwood as a branch of the CIA. We've had two seasons where they're on the run, I'd like to see them back as a team that no one questions.

So I was thinking about how the Doctor dies in April 2011, and the Miracle Last from at least March 2011 till May 2011.

The Miracle only affected humans, The Doctor isn't human, so he wouldn't be affected by the Miracle and can die in April 2011. And the Miracle might be a fixed point in time, and is something that allows the human race to move forward, so he doesn't get involved.

After Children of The Earth, Russell T. Davies prefers the miniseries format and one continuous season long plot.

I like how the X-files had a week by week thing but still had long standing characters present across the show. Like those big muscle bound face morphing guys with the needle things or the smoking guy. Alot of episodes you never seen them, othertimes they seem to just pop up as some plot element in the background or other times an entire episode or sets of episodes around them.

Over all I thought that was utter bollocks. As I've said before there's at least 4 episodes that could have been cut out or cut down or spliced together. As for the ending it's self, I just didn't care enough for it to matter. But I knew that as soon at what Rex had done was revealed, he'd change as well. Why did no one in the show get that that would happen?

Too many episodes and not enough plot.

Over all I thought that was utter bollocks. As I've said before there's at least 4 episodes that could have been cut out or cut down or spliced together. As for the ending it's self, I just didn't care enough for it to matter. But I knew that as soon at what Rex had done was revealed, he'd change as well. Why did no one in the show get that that would happen?

Well, not saying I didn't see it coming, but Jack had stated his blood wasn't anything special. What made him immortal had nothing to do with what was in his veins, so a simple transfusion from him would not make someone else immortal.

Obviously, since the 'blessing' was able to directly affect Jacks immortality (something even the Doctor couldn't do) he should not have been so surprised that it had duplicated it over to Rex at the other end of the um..'gash'.

Anyways, agree with you. Not enough story to justify the 10 episode format. Could have been done just as effectively in half that.

I agree it was utter Bollocks....

Say what you want about Russell T. Davies projecting his wish fulfillment fantasies onto Torchwood but I can't help notice the misogyny, whether intentional or unintentional, in this season (Warning: Character death spoilers below).

Let's separate the notable character deaths by gender:

Men:

• Angelo Colasanto (Jack's lover from the 1920s) - Dies peacefully of old age/natural causes (when death supposedly ended)
  • Brian Friedkin (the CIA deputy director working for the Three Families) - Suicide by explosives
  • Allen Shapiro (the CIA director) - Killed in an explosion by the CIA mole, Charlotte Wills
  • Noah Vickers (CIA analyst working for Shapiro) - Killed in same explosion as Shapiro
  • Oswald Danes - Suicide by explosives
  • Gerraint Cooper (Gwen's father) - Dies peacefully of natural causes after the miracle ends

Women:

• Vera Juarez (Rex's doctor) - Incinerated after getting severely shot
  • Olivia Colasanto (Angelo's granddaughter) - Killed in the explosion from Friedkin's suicide
  • 'The Mother' (the one in charge of the Shanghai facility) - Killed in the explosion from Danes' suicide
  • Esther Drummond - Gunshot wounds followed by the miracle ending
  • Charlotte Wills (CIA mole) - Gunned down while trying to assassinate Rex

While someone who's just counting by the numbers will count them as fairly even, what's notable is the way they die. With the exception of Shapiro and Vickers (who are fairly incidental characters who play no role in the central plot), the main male characters' deaths are either peaceful or on their own terms (e.g they choose to commit suicide). Meanwhile, with the exception of Wills, the female characters die helplessly as victims, generally through the actions of someone else and the inaction or failing of their part in preventing it.

Worse, two female protagonists die feebly in this way. Vera Juarez dies ultimately as a result of her own recklessness (getting in over her head) and stupidity (condemning the guy running the camps while she herself was actually at his mercy). Esther Drummond, on the other hand, was shot as a means to blackmail Rex from ending the miracle. Worse, the shot comes without warning, leaving her being completely unable to defend herself - that power instead going to Rex. Meanwhile, Oswald Danes sacrifices himself to ensure Gwen and Jack's escape the to prevent the source of the miracle from being misused again - making his death more heroic than either of the above mentioned characters.

A strong finale, but it doesn't make up for the all the padding.

Overall I give this Miracle Day a generous 6.5/10.

I have to agree it was a good finale, i think the last couple of episodes have turned me around on this show once they met with old angelo it seemed to go at a good pace but still it didnt really save the show.

I just wish they'd established the two villains more so that we knew who they were and stuff, they kept them a mystery too much and for too long that by the time we met them we didnt know who they were or what they worked for.

I have a feeling if Torchwood comes back the three families are going to be like WolfRam and Hart from Angel

I have to agree it was a good finale, i think the last couple of episodes have turned me around on this show once they met with old angelo it seemed to go at a good pace but still it didnt really save the show.

I just wish they'd established the two villains more so that we knew who they were and stuff, they kept them a mystery too much and for too long that by the time we met them we didnt know who they were or what they worked for.

I have a feeling if Torchwood comes back the three families are going to be like WolfRam and Hart from Angel
Speaking of Angel did'nt that also have an episode that also featured a long shaft/tunnel that went fron one side of the planet to the other??

I hope James Masters comes back for a episode or two if they do another season.

Well we have to have something. Not as if we get to tour with the Doctor or anything major with him.

Abit too much things blowing up and 24 wanna-be moments but a pretty decent ending I thought even if alot of the of it had problems. The concept of the show with the thing in the middle of the earth and blood and whatnot is pretty cool. It's just to bad it was so convoluted jumping off in tangents.

Last edited:
The whole series has been an abomination. The "blessing" made zero sense and was a massive cop out. Such wasted potential. A great premise + torchwood should have = gold. Can't believe they messed up this bad.

Yeh, it was part of the deal with Starz (that is with a "z" right?) so they'd giving funding and show it first. I think anyhow...

To be honest I was kind of expecting "The Blessing" to be some big over-lord alien monster type thing. I liked that it was more a mother-nature type thing being tampered with using Jacks blood. Alot of people don't really think about it but under our feet, we are walking above a sphere about the size of mars, the crust is only about (I remember right) 0.2% of the earth. That sphere protects us with a magnetic field, so technically under our feet, we do have this big un-noticed thing looking after us. I think it's really interesting they used that concept than invaders from outer space!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"