Torchwood - Part 1

I posted my thoghts in the Dr Who thread but I suppose I should really post them here...

I'm getting annoyed with the utter stupidity in the new series of Torchwood. Some of it is ok, but then it does something thats just so utterly stupid it annoys me. It's had about 4 episodes out of 7 that woulc have been cut out with ease since they had, as far as I could tell, nothing to do with the over all plot, which is wandering around in a feild somewhere waiting to be put down.

The main failing point of the new series is the fact that they've failed to make me care about the new characters. I just want to see more of PC Andy, he's always fun to see. Plus he shot someone in the head...

I think you're supposed to side with Oswald... Or at least I hope it was written that way...

I think they done a weirdly good job with him. I like that they acknowledge he's inteligent enough to know what he is with remorse to the point he eggs Jack on to shoot him. They could have fairly easily made him a cardboard cut-out horrible because we automatically think of them as that kind of character.

Jacks face pretty much expresses my thoughts on this episode.

screwface.jpg

The part with the religious people misinterpretation of a miricle was a pretty cool idea and quite well done I thought. The twist at the end was mind numbingly obvious from the start of the episode. And once again Russell T Davies is desperately trying to push his gay agenda by ramming it down peoples throats whenever possible. That's great, nothing wrong with gay people, save it for a rally though, i'm sick of everyone being gay and doing gay stuff whenever he gets an opportunity to shove it in there. Way over-board.

Best bit of the episode was people killing Jack over and over again as well as the reference to the doctor.

Did I miss something but why didn't Jack use his wrist strap Time Vortex manipulator to travel forward in time or teleport to get away instead of falling of a roof.

His Votrex Manipulator was broken when he got back to earth after the whole Bad Wolf stuff in Dr Who. He then bummed around for a while looking for the Dr. He didn't get it fixed until Utopia and at the end of Last of the Time Lords the Dr broke it again. He then got it fixed during The Stolen Earth and used it to run away at the end of Children of Earth. Then it was his 10 second in End of Time and then it was Miracle Day.

Assuming, which it looks like to me, that the flashbacks took place during Jacks time between Bad Wolf, during the flashbacks of previous Torchwood teams seen in Series 2 and the start of Torchwood Series 1, then it's broken.

And once again Russell T Davies is desperately trying to push his gay agenda by ramming it down peoples throats whenever possible. That's great, nothing wrong with gay people, save it for a rally though, i'm sick of everyone being gay and doing gay stuff whenever he gets an opportunity to shove it in there. Way over-board.

glad i'm not the only one to feel this way, and honestly the fact that its annoying me makes me feel like crap. but it would be the same is it was all heterosexual, its just becoming boring, repetitive and somewhat creepy, in a way that its always constantly jack, no story no character development just people wanting to **** jack

this whole series has been on big let down and now its just like a car crash, you dont want to watch but you just stare

I'm actually starting to think Russell T Davis lives vicariously through Captain Jack character.
Like Jack does all the kind of stuff Davis wishes he could do.

Plus... isn't he supposed to be omnisexual? I don't remember the last time he made the moves on a female character - never mind an alien. Or a poodle. And point number two, why the heavy prevalence of sex anyway? For instance, was it even necessary for the story arc with that 1920s guy? I mean, they drew parallels with the Doctor's companions. Yet, the Doctor never shagged any of them.

I'm actually starting to think Russell T Davis lives vicariously through Captain Jack character.
Like Jack does all the kind of stuff Davis wishes he could do.

If this was lesbian sequences with lesbian in there for the sake of being there, there would probably be uproar. Instead we are suppose to be PC and accept his roger jolly gay time.

the thing that got on my nerves about this episode is that the flash backs should be in the next episode where things need to be explained, the flashbacks in this episode weren;t needed because Jack had no reason to think back to it and nothing was getting explained or needed to be explained to Gwen in order for the flashbacks to make sense, they were just there for us the audience to know when it should of served the characters. I mean maybe if Jack used that story to talk Gwen round to not handing him over it might of worked but it was basically so the cliffhanger would be explained when it doesnt need to cos the impact would be greater if it wasnt explained who Jack's lover was.

I've decided I really don't care anymore. It's gotten to a point where I'm not only bored but also actually annoyed by how they're presenting the story. I'm sure if they'd sprinkled bits of it through the other episodes somehow it wouldn't have been as bad. I just feel that there's going to be some really pointless info dump episode next and it's going to be so poorly written...

I want to like it cause I see good things, but then it all crumbles.

I've decided I really don't care anymore. It's gotten to a point where I'm not only bored but also actually annoyed by how they're presenting the story.

Very true. If this is what happens when RTD is given free reign to do what he wants with no one to keep him in check, then it's time to bring in some new writers to save the Torchwood franchise.

That entire scene where the director of the CIA is threatening to deport Gwen, and the characters are talking loudly at each other without really saying anything, all while the loud, overly-dramatic background music is trying so hard to create a sense of tension and action was typical of what Miracle Day has become. A tedious, overblown attempt to make something out of nothing.

It's a sad state of affairs when I find yet another River Song-centric episode of Doctor Who a somewhat refreshing break from the tedium of this latest Torchwood series. :csad:

over 500 complaints for torchwood

The BBC has reportedly received several hundred complaints over gay sex scenes aired in last Thursday's episode of Torchwood.

The episode, Immortal Sins, featured flashbacks to 1920s New York where Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman) fell in love with an Italian immigrant named Angelo (Daniele Favill). The flashbacks featured the two kissing and enjoying a steamy sex scene which, according to the Daily Mail, has upset some fans. Despite the fact that Torchwood: Miracle Day airs in a 9pm slot, therefore after the watershed, the gay sex scene has still prompted hundreds of complaints.

The Daily Mail reports that up to 500 viewers have complained to the BBC over the gay sex scene. The total audience of the episode - going by overnight figures - was 3.4 million viewers so only a fraction of those who watched the episode have complained. Even so the Daily Mail has made a big deal out of it. According to the tabloid newspapers complaints about the gay sex scene range from those who felt it was "pointless" to others who felt it who were "disgusted" by it. The tired old argument of the scenes being "inappropriate" for younger viewers were also cited despite the fact that Torchwood is a post watershed programme and therefore younger viewers should NOT be watching it.

‘This show is meant to be a sci-fi show. I had to turn it off as my grandson, an avid sci-fi fan, was in the room.

'I am sure both myself and others are disgusted at last night’s show. Leave the gay scenes for the programmes more suited – not sci-fi.’

‘The homosexual content is totally out of proportion and so we have decided not to watch any more.’

- A selection of comments by "viewers" of Torchwood quoted by the Daily Mail.

Earlier this Summer the BBC upset thousands of Torchwood fans when it decided to edit out an explicit gay sex scene in an earlier episode of Miracle Day. The explicit scenes were broadcast in America, on Starz, but the BBC decided to edit the scenes for UK viewers because of concerns over younger viewers watching.

The complaints over "gay scenes" not being suitable for sci-fi fall flat given Torchwood's established history of featuring such scenes in previous seasons. The character of Jack had a relationship with Ianto Jones (Gareth David-Lloyd) across the first three seasons until the character was killed off in the penultimate episode of the mini-series Children of Earth. The relationship between Jack and Ianto was a firm favourite with many of the show's fans. The season two premier saw the character of Captain Jack passionately kiss Captain John (James Marsters) and the series has featured other gay/lesbian kisses before - including in its very first episode.

http://www.atvtoday.co.uk/index.php...d-gay-sex-scenes&catid=2:cult-sci-fi&Itemid=5

yeah its the daily mail reporting so its not surprising on how they fall, but the comments about ianto have little to no basis on the argument

ianto was an established character and and time to be built up and for the audience got to know him and develop the relationship between him and jack

the latest episode had little to no point but to get people talking about this mundane series, but you don't dare say anything negative because its would be homophobic

sorry i don't care it it was gay, lesbian, straight or a woman a man 3 midgets and a donkey the scenes did nothing to advance the plot

Oh man I thought it was so sad when Ianto died =/
But I agree that the gay scenes were a little too much though.

I'm not surprised people complained and I'm not surprised the Daily Mail were the ones running the story.

While I wasn't offend by it or shocked I can see why others would be. Its not like Torchwood was advertised as BBC victorian lesbian show Tipping the velvet was and previous Torchwood seasons while they had straight and same sex relationships didn't really have such graphic sex scenes.

Rex and that Doctor lady were not even shown doing a few episodes before

At least the gay sex in this episode looked like it might actually work, unlike that first episode where Jack had sex with the randomer.

Episode 8 was the worst so far. Rarely have I been so bored in my entire life. The writing was bad but the direction and editing were far worse. The blocking of the scenes in Angelo's house was horrible. The pacing was like a snail.

The ending better be good.

I wonder when we will get news if Starz is going to renew TW for another season.

The whole thing with Angelo has made me want to keep watching coz other wise it was slowing down and getting a little too boring.

They are dragging this storyline out way longer than they have to. I'm half expecting Jacks evil brother Gray to pop up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"