Torn between systems, Please give opinions..

Simon Phoenix

A Blast from the Past...
Reaction score
I'm torn between XBox 360 and PS3 as to which one I will buy. The reason I'm torn is because they mostly share a lot of titles except for certain ones, but I was interested in PS3 for the blue-ray playability and graphics, even tho 360 has good graphics(and I'm really looking forward to Fable2)..but no blue-ray. Also does PS3 have online play, if so is it free like nintendo or do you have to pay like 360? So I wanted the opinions of you guys who have either system or maybe both as to why you think one has an edge over the other. I would appriciate the feedback in hopes that it might help me to weigh them and see which would fit me better. Thanks.:yay:

P.S. I would have asked this in another thread but I wasn't really sure which one would be best and I didn't see any threads similar to my problem..so I apologize if there was somewhere better suited for this question and would gladly ask it there.

The most economical choice between the PS3 and the 360 is the PS3.

The online is free, the wireless is free, the HD Movie play is free.

If you are mostly concerned with games to play this very second - the PS3 library doesn't have the depth of the 360. It does, however, have a very bright future this year.

There are great titles available currently on the PS3 - such as Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Motor Storm and of course various third party games (Call of Duty 4).

Between the 360 and the PS3 - personally - I think the choice is obvious.

The Wii is a great choice if you want great gameplay with not a large a pocket dent. But you of course miss on a lot of the benefits of the two power consoles.

F**k the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360 and go for the Wii.

If you are mostly concerned with games to play this very second - the PS3 library doesn't have the depth of the 360. It does, however, have a very bright future this year.

There are great titles available currently on the PS3 - such as Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Motor Storm and of course various third party games (Call of Duty 4).

The Wii is a great choice if you want great gameplay with not a large a pocket dent. But you of course miss on a lot of the benefits of the two power consoles.

Yeah I'm leaning towards the PS3 as well...I have a Wii and its great but like you said the other consoles have some cool things to offer that the Wii doesn't...the free online play for PS3 deffinately gives it big points for me...thanks for your input!:yay:

I agree whole-heartedly. Go with this guy. :up:

I've got a 360 and think it's great. The online fee really isn't that much when you break it down, it's something like less than $4/month really not that bad. 360 has more exclusive titles now and while there are some heavy hitters coming out this year the damage has been done, plus most multiplatform games are slightly better on the 360 too because it's made for that hardware, then ported onto the PS3 (all too often months later). If you're more concerned with the hardware and blu-ray capabilities than games then PS3 is the way to go. You want games, 360 is the way to go.

Be careful who u listen to as this site is FULL of biased individuals for both systems. Most members are just trying to push their systems agenda on the masses of these boards, in hopes of some reparations from Sony or Microsoft

I don't own a PS3(yet) so I can't speak for it but I throughly enjoy my 360. The fee for Live isn't a big deal for me, but if money is a true concern I could understand how that could be a problem. But in my eyes, MS really does put that money to use, I mean the service just constantly gets better,IMO. Most of the games I play are multiplatform so I feel ur good to go with games on either system. I do however think Gears of War and Mass Effect are not to be missed. There's pros and cons for both systems, just go with ur gut man.

what he ^ said. even though i own a 360 i don't use it as much as i do my PS3. the 360 has some good exclusives (Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect) but the PS3 is about to come out with some good ones also like Metal Gear Solid 4. LittleBigPlanet is also sure to be a hit. if you haven't heard or seen anything about it check out the videos on gametrailers.com. of course, online is free with the PS3 but it's not quite up to snub. Xbox Live seems to have online features down, but the PS3 will launching 'Home' this year which will hopefully help PSN. i haven't had many problems actually PLAYING online on the PSN though.

of course, blu-ray is excellent if you have an HDtv. even watching regular DVDs on the PS3 seems like you're getting better quality. unfortunately, the PS3 doesn't have any rumble feature on the controllers that come with the system, but Sony will be releasing the Dual Shock 3 this spring which features directional vibrations. for instance, if you're playing a shooter and someone throws a grenade on your left, you'll only feel the vibration on the left side of the controller.

the 360 is a decent console with a strong library of games. xbox live is great if you don't mind paying but the 360 has already put out it's best games. it has a few promising titles coming out this year but no real heavy hitters. there are also people that still, every now and then, get the red ring of death. it's not as bad as before but the threat is still there. it's also quite noisy. basically, it's a system that's pretty much made just for playing video games. not necessarily a bad thing, because it DOES have a good game library. if you want to play games and JUST play games then the 360 will suffice.

the PS3 is a great console with an okay library of games. blu-ray is a strong reason to get a PS3, but it also has some real promising games coming out this year. online features aren't as good as xbox live's but online play is fine. if you want the best bang for your buck, but don't mind dropping an extra hundred or so then the PS3 is the way to go.

the 360 is a decent console with a strong library of games. xbox live is great if you don't mind paying but the 360 has already put out it's best games. it has a few promising titles coming out this year but no real heavy hitters. there are also people that still, every now and then, get the red ring of death. it's not as bad as before but the threat is still there. it's also quite noisy. basically, it's a system that's pretty much made just for playing video games. not necessarily a bad thing, because it DOES have a good game library. if you want to play games and JUST play games then the 360 will suffice.

I like how you're almost trying to make the case that it's a bad thing that the 360 is made to basically just play games. Isn't that the point of a video game system to play games?

the 360 has already put out it's best games.

I think that statement is pushing it a little bit. And just for arguments sake, wouldn't that be the way to go? If 360 already has its "best" games out and the PS3 has still yet to release its "best" games, then why get the system you have to wait before you can get its "best" games? Its not like the 360 isnt going to release any more games.

Like ProjectPat said, don´t listen to anyone here, they are all biased and they will try to make your mind for their own choise.
Hit the net, do some search and decide.
I don´t have a PS3, i have a 360, and it´s great.
I´ll get a PS3 this year.

It´s true, this year seems great for the PS3, as for before, it was all about the 360 (bare in mind that there are already some great games for the PS3, and there will be great games on the 360 this year).
If you are going to go on a console for the games, i say easily, go for the 360.
It has a better catalogue of games released, and there will be more to come.
As for the PS3, there are some great games on the Sony´s console (not s many as the Microsoft´s), and there will be more this year.
Than you have Xbox Live Arcade, which has better games than the PSN, and are released on a weekly basis (each wednesday).
More than games...yeah, there is the all Blu-ray thing (if you have an HD TV), and the free online (which sucks in comparison to Live, not that i´m saying to be true, just what i´ve read; nor that it sucks, just in COMPARISON to the other).

In the end, it´s all about the games.....make your mind, or get both ;)

PS - For all i´ve read, the Wii is a blast, and amazing for 1st party titles.

Norman pretty much hit it.

PS3 gets free online, so in the long run the price difference of the consoles is made up, not paying for X-Box Live.

And the only 360 game I miss having is Mass Effect, but I'll live. Somehow. :(

Do the PSfanboys here have some kind of sales commission ?
Because all your posts only read, buy the PS3, where the 360 owners (xbots if you want), me and Pat, give the pros and cons.

If you do get commissions, i want a part too...PS3 FOR LIFE!!

Already put out it's best games?
Basically, it's a system that's pretty much made just for playing video games?
And your sig is Why so delirious......?:wow: :ninja: :indy:

Ever heard of Gears of War 2, Alan Wake, Too Human, Banjo Kazooie 3, Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden 2, Age of Conan, GTA 4 exclusive episodes, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Halo Wars, Peter Jackson´s Halo, Don King Presents: Prizefighter, Left 4 Dead, Infinite Undiscovery, Perfect Dark 2?......and there are till unannounced projects.
And is the all, the 360 is just to play games?
Does the PS3 heats your food, gives you a bath, sings and make phone calls?
The 360 has tons of movies and tv shows in HD in Marketplace, something the PS3 doesn´t.

Hey Dorky....Why so Delirious?

All in all, both have pros and cons

Get Wii if you want something to play with the family.

Get Xbox 360 if you love shooters and go gaga for the thought of in-game achievements.

Get PS3 if you like the big-budget Japanese games and want HD movies.

Heir's right, there's too many fan boys here for an informed decision.

Honestly they are both pretty much the same.

The deciding factors are which exclusive games you want, if you really want Blu-Ray or don't really care, and if you want free so-so online or to pay for really good online.

I'm happy with my 360, though once the PS3 price comes down I'm sure I'll get it too. (It is the best Blu-Ray player)

Pus the 360 will get exclusive downloadable extra episodes for GTAIV :woot:

Yeah, GTA could very well be a deciding factor for a lot of people. You want more GTA, get a 360.

I have a 360 and I love it.
I should be getting a Wii later this year, and then a Ps3 when GoW3 comes out.
My post is not going to help a lot :(

Especially seeing as that opinion changes every 5 seconds.

Honestly they are both pretty much the same.

The deciding factors are which exclusive games you want, if you really want Blu-Ray or don't really care, and if you want free so-so online or to pay for really good online.

I'm happy with my 360, though once the PS3 price comes down I'm sure I'll get it too. (It is the best Blu-Ray player)

Pus the 360 will get exclusive downloadable extra episodes for GTAIV :woot:

I think that can be a REALLY big factor for some. I mean its obvious that Blu-Ray is going to be the format of choice for High Def movie viewing. Myself personally, that isn't a big issue at the moment, as i don't have an HD TV yet, but later, within the next year or so, i see myself upgrading.

But the way i look at it, a console purchase should be about GAMES and GAMES FIRST. I'm sure you'll spend MUCH more time using your PS3 or Xbox 360 as a video game console vs a DVD player. It boils down to the individuals taste in games. So like others have said, look at the games that interest you, and i think the choice will become clear for yourself. Good luck man and let us know what ya do. :up:

I like how you're almost trying to make the case that it's a bad thing that the 360 is made to basically just play games. Isn't that the point of a video game system to play games?

obviously you didn't read that part that you quoted where i stated that it was "not necessarily a bad thing." i was just making the point that if he wants a system that also doubles as a media player then the PS3 is the better deal. if he wants a system focused on games then he's probably better off with the 360. i never said it's a bad thing to be a system made just for games. i was simply saying that if he wants more than just a gaming system (hi-def player) then the 360 probably won't fulfill his needs. take that as you may...

I think that statement is pushing it a little bit.
maybe a bit because there's always the sequels.

And just for arguments sake, wouldn't that be the way to go? If 360 already has its "best" games out and the PS3 has still yet to release its "best" games, then why get the system you have to wait before you can get its "best" games? Its not like the 360 isnt going to release any more games.
well when you put it that way, it's more convenient to buy a system that has it's best games already out and sequels are most likely in development...but i referring more for this year. the 360's line up for this year isn't exactly stellar while the PS3 has most of it's promising games coming out this year and a handful of good games next year as well. i didn't mean for my statement to sound like ALL of the good 360 games that will EVER come our are already out because no doubt there ARE sequels being made. i meant more that he'll probably have to wait for 2009 for more smash hits that are exclusive to the 360 like Gears, Bioshock, and Mass Effect.

I have a Wii, but if I can buy another system I'd probably go for 360. 360 currently has better library but it does have threat of red circle (although M$ has extended the warranty). If I have a HD TV, though, then PS3 would become more enticing due to Blu Ray, and its upcoming games are getting better. And PS3 does have free online service, which is a plus despite the fact that it's not as good as XBox Live.

I think that can be a REALLY big factor for some. I mean its obvious that Blu-Ray is going to be the format of choice for High Def movie viewing. Myself personally, that isn't a big issue at the moment, as i don't have an HD TV yet, but later, within the next year or so, i see myself upgrading.
Yeah, that´s a plus, and it will be the successor of the DVD; but the question that remains (and this as nothing to do with the console war), will it make that big of a difference?
I say that because everyone is going the download route, is not only music anymore, but download movies is a reality too (something that the PS3 doesn´t have) and if that trend continues (and it will) sooner than later, we will have movie being released for download at the same time as in the theaters.
When that day comes, the blu-ray will not have the same impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"