TPBs Bought/Thought Thread

The Watchman said:
Conan just isn't my thing...
have you ever even tried it? most people say that when they've never even looked at it, and they're pleasently surprised when they do try it out and see it's much better than what they were expecting

I myself didn't dig it when I flipped through it, but when I actually sat down to read it, it blew me away. Best read in trade if you ask me.

Is it in trade? Because I bought the first issue and decided not to continue.

and I've already got vol 1. Now you're compelled.

start with The Forst Giant's Daughter

hey, you set the terms, you've got no one to blame but yourself, and no one to thank but us once you read it :up:

Crom laughs at your greyskull. He laughs from his mountain

I just read volume 1 of Cooke's The New Frontier and enjoyed it immensely, as my sig implies. Great stuff. I'm a sucker for any story that weaves a bunch of elements from all over the DC universe into one story, and New Frontier does it well, even though Hal is arguably the central star. I wonder why they didn't include the Elseworld logo on the cover, though.

um, I don't think it's intended to be an Elseworlds

I just read vol 1 a few weeks ago and loved it. Vol2 is waiting for me (I've literally a hundred trades waiting to be read right now)

I bought it when it originaly came out. You guys are in for a treat. THat mini f**king rocked!

New Frontier is easily one of the best stories I have ever read, and the art is so amazing. I love Cooke's Aquaman a lot.

It can't actually be in continuity due to a few reasons, unless they are just retconing JLA Year One, Emerald Dawn, etc... I heard it didn't have the Elseworld logo because DC were phasing out the logo, no idea why. Cooke has also said it is just an imaginative story. Doing for the Silver Age what Robinson's Golden Age did for the Golden Age.

But this doesn't reduce the fact that it is one of the best stories of recent years.

Vol. 2, it gets even better, enjoy.

Yeah, it couldn't possibly in cannon because it takes place in the 50's/60's.

Anubis said:
I bought it when it originaly came out. You guys are in for a treat. THat mini f**king rocked!
Same here, I thought it was amazing, Cooke can do no wrong in my eyes, theres an under-rated batman story by him called Ego that everyone needs to check out.

Thats been sitting on my "Need to buy" List for two years.

Great little character piece, I rank it up there with essential batman reading.

The Watchman said:
Same here, I thought it was amazing, Cooke can do no wrong in my eyes, theres an under-rated batman story by him called Ego that everyone needs to check out.
The cover definitely looks interesting:
08137131442.1.GIF

I think that'll go on my reading list.

So, I recently got Promethia Vol 2, Sandman volume 5: A Game of You, Hard Time: 50 to LIfe, Fables vol 1, and Doom Partrol the Painting that ate Paris.

So, I'll start with Promethia, man, great read. Picks up right were the first vol left off. Big battle in the hospital, four promethias taking on a hoard of demons. The art was fantastic and Moore, well, it's Alan f**king Moore, what else do you need to say? Plus, I got a new found respect for Wands now. **Not to self, look into taking up Tantric Sex Classes.** 9/10.

Sandman Vol 5, Again, a no brainer. Great as usual. Giamen pulling off an incredible story with little mention of the title character. It was basically about this chick who once dreamed on one of the many dreamworlds Morpheus had created, and after a bitter divorce, she simply stopped dreaming, leaving the dreaded Ckoo Ckoo to run roughshod over her dream world. We got a giant talking dog gettin shot up, a Trannie, an ancient witch, a couple of Lesbians, and a humphry Bogart lookin Rat. Good stuff man. Good stuff.
9/10

Hard Time: 50 to Life - Now heres a book I was sleep on. This was part of the DC Foucs line. I decided to give it a shot because of all the rave reviews and it getting a second chance like Runaways or Brubakers Sleeper. And it was good. Kid gets involved in a school shooting, at the same time he finds out he has freaky disembodied energy powers. He gets 50 years to life and he didn't even really do anything. Just a Scapegoat. On the inside he finds it oddly enough, alot like Highschool. He has to dodge getting killed by Arians, religious nuts, and the gaurds. I loved it. Really wish I had have jumped on when it was already out. 8/10.

I'll get to the rest later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"