Train fight

the train fight scene was great.
it's just that the final confrontation in Doctor Octopus' lair was very disappointing.

I didn't find it disappointing. It just didn't pack the same level of punch. The two antagonists couldn't really focus on each other like they did at the clock tower. Ock was thinking about his experiment & Spidey's attention was really divided between protecting MJ & trying to shut down the reactor. Plus I figure he wasn't in his top form after the events of that afternoon.

I didn't find it disappointing. It just didn't pack the same level of punch. The two antagonists couldn't really focus on each other like they did at the clock tower. Ock was thinking about his experiment & Spidey's attention was really divided between protecting MJ & trying to shut down the reactor.

Agreed :up:

If anything, I think if the dock had showcased another epic battle, fans would've cried foul. Spider-Man has physical limitations. And Raimi always ramps down the action after a big fight, to remind us that in his eyes, these are not action movies. (I define "action movie" as a film in which the action drives the story) This is a story of the trials & tribulations of Peter Parker.

If anything, I think if the dock had showcased another epic battle, fans would've cried foul. Spider-Man has physical limitations. And Raimi always ramps down the action after a big fight, to remind us that in his eyes, these are not action movies. (I define "action movie" as a film in which the action drives the story) This is a story of the trials & tribulations of Peter Parker.

You may be right but I think what really happened was that they couldn't think of any good action sequence involving Ock's lair.

You may be right but I think what really happened was that they couldn't think of any good action sequence involving Ock's lair.

Nonsense. If they can think of some good action in a dingy old building with Goblin, then they can in that warehouse with a big fusion reactor going haywire.

The finale in Ock's lair wasn't suppose to be about action. And after the train fight, I don't think any action sequence could have measured up.

The train fight is still the best of the trilogy, IMO. None of the others hold a candle to it.

Are you kidding me? If nothing else, the video game proves you wrong. Struggle to shut down the reactor while Ock remains invulnerable, then fight him. That's just one of many options. BUt as Joker said, it wasn't supposed to be about action at that point. It was about Ock coming to terms with what he'd done, & Peter & MJ coming full circle.

Are you kidding me? If nothing else, the video game proves you wrong. Struggle to shut down the reactor while Ock remains invulnerable, then fight him. That's just one of many options. BUt as Joker said, it wasn't supposed to be about action at that point. It was about Ock coming to terms with what he'd done, & Peter & MJ coming full circle.

Well...both final fight scenes in Spiderman1 and Spiderman3 were great.
I just didnt like the final fight scene in Spiderman2.
lots of people are disappointed by final fight scene in Spiderman2,too.
that's pretty much only thing i dont like about Spiderman2. final confrontation...

Last edited:
And he didn't spend the afternoon fighting the Goblin, get worn out by a challenge that was actually beyond his physical capacity, & then have to fight him again. When he got to the construction site to take on Venom & Sandman, he hadn't done anything else physical that whole day. The confrontation at the dock wasn't meant to be a physical fight. It was meant to be an emotional scene. Again, it's really not an action movie. If it was, the opening scene would've been him stopping a bank robbery or something like that, not racing to deliver a pizza.

It's a great scene. The only thing that ruins it is Spider-Man punching the hell out of Ock and Ock not going down, like he had super strength. I cringe everytime I see Spider-Man punch Dock in SM2.

What's the alternative? A 2-second fight or him not landing any punches.

Him not landing any punches, because he's too busy fighting off the tentacles, that's what fighting Dr. Octopus is all about. You get close and trade blows with people like Venom, Scorpion, and so forth, not Octopus, because it takes away from Spider-Man, and it takes away from fights with those villains who CAN trade blows with Spider-Man.

I figure since he pulls his punches anyway, he wouldn't knock Ock out in one punch like that. And in a movie, there has to be an exchange of blows between the hero & villain. You can do that whole "finally landing a successful blow & now the bad guy's out" bit in a comic, but it's very unfulfilling on film. Much like Batman & Joker. I've seen Bats put Joker down quite easily in many a comic but it makes for lame film action. Besides, Spidey & Ock fought 3 times in the movie. So would you really want 3 fights of him not landing a punch? That wouldn't take away from Spider-Man?

Also Ock was different in the movie. His tentacles had A.I. in them that was wired into his brain and central nervous system. That could also be a reason for him not losing consciousness.

Maybe. He did take a lot of punishment & still keep his eyes open. That's plausible. Hell, he managed to take 20,000 volts (presumably) & still didn't lose consciousness. And the tentacles still worked afterwards.

Yeah, the way I justify it is that the tentacles kept him conscious.

The train battle was the best fight sequence in a Comic movie to date!

that's why I'm afraid that nothing can top it. Or it's simply me who's not able to imagine a better fight choreography. The moving train made that whole fight so dynamic and exciting. I got goose bumps all over my body when I first saw a glimpse of peter trying to stop the train in the trailer back in 2004. Wow!

Imagine the lizard would be the villain in Spidey4... I just don't know how to make it better. Using a train again is not very creative, since they already used the idea for two films.
I want them to not only use CGI for fight sequences. Spidey vs Doc Ock was a perfect mix of both real actors/stuntmen and CGI. In Spider-Man 3 they had too much computer imagery... it seemed too artificial, too perfect. I want to see dirt, (a little bit of) blood :) and sweat on spideys face as in Spider-Man 1 final battle.

Absolutely breathtaking piece of cinema.

My only thing is that every time I watch it, I can't help but think "Might somebody wanna go the the back of the god damn train?"

Onlookers are typically stupid. Did the board members try to get off the balcony after the Goblin threw his first bomb? Did ANYBODY try to get out of the room while Batman confronted the Joker at the fundraiser? DId they vacate the streets while Prime & Megatron were going at it?

^^ You make a good point. I've always assumed they were in shock, plus, if everyone left, the villain would look like a moron. Then, the villain gets mad. Then, the people- well, you can use your imagination.

Onlookers not running hasn't fazed me since Agent J chastized an entire crowd for not leaving after he told them to!

"Had this been an actual emergency, y'all would've been eaten. 'Cause you don't listen. You're ignorant. How a man gonna come flyin' through the back of a subway window-see, that's the problem with all y'all New Yorkers! 'Oh-we've seen everything-oh, no! A 600-foot worm! Save us, Mr. Black Man!' I come and ask you nicely to move to the next car..."
If they're not gonna do it when they're told, they're sure as hell not gonna do it on their own.
Oh-how about all the idiots who stood around watching Superman get his ass kicked, then thought they could challenge his supposed "killers"?

The final battle was more like the train fight in SM2. The last scene in the film is more like a confrontation. A meeting of the minds. It's when the two see eye to eye and and have a discussion about responsiblity and sacrifice. Molina and Maguire just made it better. The writing was great along with the two actors. Much more fulfilling then an explosion or a battle royale. I'll take that over a final battle filled with special effects any day.

Still the greatest superhero fight scene put on film:

Smashey.jpg

awesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesome

onlookers not running hasn't fazed me since agent j chastized an entire crowd for not leaving after he told them to!

"had this been an actual emergency, y'all would've been eaten. 'cause you don't listen. You're ignorant. How a man gonna come flyin' through the back of a subway window-see, that's the problem with all y'all new yorkers! 'oh-we've seen everything-oh, no! A 600-foot worm! Save us, mr. Black man!' i come and ask you nicely to move to the next car..."
if they're not gonna do it when they're told, they're sure as hell not gonna do it on their own.
Oh-how about all the idiots who stood around watching superman get his ass kicked, then thought they could challenge his supposed "killers"?

lol!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"