Tron: Ares with Jared Leto

I get that Legacy wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but it has seriously built a cult following since its release and still goes down as a CGI masterpiece (my opinion) that still looks as good if not better than most blockbusters a decade+ later. I get it does get flack for the de-aging, but I happen to still think even that component of the movie looks good for being one of the first movies to accomplish that for the entirety of a movie. I haven't even touched on the score by Daft Punk & co. which was snubbed from the Oscars that year, which is absolutely blasphemous, and it's still one of the best scores of all-time imo. The fact that Disney would not wait for Kosinsky to finish the films in his pipeline and wait for him to finish to script is wild to me, he literally turned a garbage one-off movie from the '80s (also a technical marvel back in the day) into what we got is nothing short of incredible. If anything, Kosinsky has proven himself even more in the 10+ years since Legacy and Top Gun: Maverick really solidified his spot as one of the best directors in Hollywood nowadays.

Best of luck to the director that is now set to helm this movie and I hope Leto doesn't phone it in here, but my expectations are low for this. For now, I'll continue to rewatch Legacy every other month (I kid you not), listen to the 10/10 score from Daft Punk, and rewatch Tron: Uprising as an example of other creatives inspired by the world that Kosinsky reimagined for a glimmer of hope that this Ares movie won't be hot garbage.
tumblr_mdxyurVmm61qbircao1_500.gif

tron-uprising-tron-lives.gif

Btw, if you haven't seen Tron: Uprising yet, I highly recommend giving it a watch. It's on Disney+ and it's a single season with an amazing voice cast.

I'd prefer to see Sam's story continued but say what you will about Leto, he's still a more recognizable name than Hedlund.

Neither are a BO draw though. Leto literally proved he isnt in the last 12 months.

I feel like whoever they cast as the lead it would just be pretty face with the ability to stare dumfounded at a green screen. I want charisma and someone who can have fun in the world

I have a soft spot for Legacy; I think it was overall pretty good with only a few minor problems:

1. Young Jeff Bridges. The tech just wasn’t there yet and he looked like a Dick Tracy villain in some scenes.

2. Some of the dialogue needed work. Some of Sam’s lines at the end during the final shootout and the way they explained “the last Iso” stuff just sounded goofy.

3. Too much reliance on knowledge of the first movie. This technically shouldn’t be an issue since it’s a sequel but when said sequel comes out almost 30 years after the first one, I think you need to craft your movie in such a way that people who haven’t seen the original can “get” it. I think a lot of stuff flew over casual moviegoers’ heads.

Anyway, other than that, I thought the world they created looked awesome; Hedlund, Wilde and Bridges were all great; and I would have come back for a sequel with them. But with Leto? Yeah, I’m out.

I've changed my mind on Jared Leto being in this.

If he can capture his performance in this, we're in for a treat. Of course, I also want the world of Tron to look like this as well.

Oh wow so this is really happening. Shame Kosinski couldn’t come back.

I don't understand why this is happening and why they are using a new cast?

So far it seems that Cillian Murphy will be the only actor returning from Tron: Legacy

Hopefully Garret Hedlund and Olivia Wylde show up. Would be cool to get a cameo from Jeff Bridges as well, even as a voiceover

So far it seems that Cillian Murphy will be the only actor returning from Tron: Legacy

Hopefully Garret Hedlund and Olivia Wylde show up. Would be cool to get a cameo from Jeff Bridges as well, even as a voiceover

But like why have Cillian Murphy and none of the other characters involved? They didn't even do much with his character in Legacy.

I really liked Tron: Legacy and remember seeing it countless times. Hopefully they can deliver something decent with this one. Oh and that Daft Punk cameo was pretty sweet.

Surely this will have to have Hedlund and Wilde in? Or one of them at least.

While the two previous movies were largely set inside the world of computers and programs, the script for Ares, written by Jesse Wigutow and Jack Thorne, is said to focus on the emergence of a sentient program that crosses over into the human world that is not ready for contact.

This concept does nothing for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"