Two-Part Batman: The Long Halloween Animated film possibly in the works?!

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Pennywise, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Look in the comics and this is practically her outfit. Not a lot you can do with black.

Awest66 likes this.
  2. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

Really really enjoyed this honestly. Jensen Ackles was fantastic, but really the entire cast was great as well. It actually exceeded my expectations a bit! I can also understand why some may feel the animation looks cheap but I actually didn't mind it haha. Easily the best of these adaptions in a while, if you ask me. Can't wait for part 2!

Awest66 likes this.
  3. atomicbattery Registered

The Catwoman in ‘The Long Halloween’ is designed by Otto Schmidt. It is his Catwoman, brought to life.
    The Catwoman in ‘Batman:The Animated Series’ and ‘The New Batman Adventures’ was designed by Bruce Timm. It was his Catwoman, brought to life.

Searching ‘Otto Schmidt Catwoman’, and then ‘Bruce Timm Catwoman’, and browsing the images.... I suppose that a human could assert that they are the same.

But I can’t imagine how.

4. Longshot777 Registered

Any indication in the movie that it’s part of the Man of Tomorrow and Justice Society WW2 continuity????

5. Yowza Registered

I think it's supposed to be an adaptation of the comic hence not connected to other specific animated projects. Otherwise, a diagram would be needed to say what is connected and what isn't because there's been so many animated projects by this point.

Long Holloween would gain nothing by cherry picking other movies to connect to save for advertising purposes.

Talking about the animated projects not the comics, a common thread anyone can see pertaining to general animation design underpinning on all characters despite if a zipper, mustache, or chin line is switched around with any character.

6. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

Surely this:
    vlcsnap-2021-06-22-13h10m42s668.png

Has more in common with this:
    [​IMG]

Than this:
    [​IMG]

#281 Eddie Dean, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Yowza likes this.
  7. KaijuDude1992 Registered

Jensen Ackles and Josh Duhamel were definitely the MVP's for me with this movie which I really enjoyed overall, but it won't be one of my favorites or one I heavily re-watch down the line.

I dug the animation though aswell as the dark tone and its pretty atmoespheric throughout and while I thought Troy Baker's Joker voice was fine it really is just a lesser impression of Hamill which is what probably annoyed me the most honestly because they could have just gotten him to do the voice.

8. pixen Registered

There is a big difference between the first and second one. I wouldnt be surprised though, most people easily lump styles together when they are completely different.

atomicbattery likes this.
  9. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

It's literally the same design with a darker color and without the belt.

Yowza likes this.
  10. atomicbattery Registered

Certainly there is far more connective tissue between the Schmidt and Timm Catwomen than either with Sale’s. But saying that they’re the same would be like saying that Tim Sale’s Catwoman is the same as Jim Balent’s.
    Both the Sale and Balent Catwomen wear a purple costume with long black gloves and boots. Both share the obvious and unmissable physical characteristic of giant boobs. But beyond these superficial observations they are nothing alike, in either style or execution.
    Just like Schmidt’s and Timm’s

11. Detective Conan Registered

I did feel some lulls here and there but I liked it overall. Not an especially memorable movie but it works as this sort of atmospheric whodunnit. Animation style looked neat but as others pointed out the motion did look cheap and stilted. On the voice acting front, I liked everyone except Baker’s Joker who’s only does a okay Hamil impression. Baker was definitely miscast here as I think this TLH Joker really called for a different actor to bring a new take. Besides that, I had fun with this.

Erik Lensherr likes this.
  12. Monochron Registered

Going by the art style I would say they are meant to be set in the same universe.

13. Yowza Registered

Pixen, atomicbattery, and primalslayer:

It's funny how primalslayer brought up the image comparison between a later rendition of the animated series (chopped down even more bare bonesey than the original seasons) and the long holloween cartoon then atomicbattery brings up the creator of the comic citing that's much different than the cartoon show yet doesnt put up a picture of that cause that obviously is a comic not the animated adaptation so I am glad eddie dean pointed out that conflation.

Reason being is the comic doesn't count as it isnt animation. My point was all animation has borrowed back from the 90s cartoon for the most part design wise. The Long Halloween animated version is where the comparison lies. A human definitely can make this comparison yet atomicbattery lazily cites the comic creator and comic version yet fully understand the actual comparison he's getting right after the actual comprison Primalslayer posted. Just bringing up the comic version as being different which it is while comparing the animation from the cartoon version to the animated series where there is a comparison saying there isnt might misdirect some but not me.

Also dial back to the original episodes of the animated series rather than image Primalslayer posted of a later episode and it can be seen you are deliberately trying to cloud the comparison moreso. Yes, there is design similarities across all DC animations. It is so obvious.

#288 Yowza, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  14. Frodo Registered

I liked it quite a bit. It's not perfect by any means, and I think the animation is certainly one of the main draw backs.

That said, I enjoyed it . It seemed to me to be kinda a fusion of Nolan, Burton, and BTAS series, in terms of a take on the Batman mythos and atmosphere.

The voice acting all around was pretty good.

It certainly enjoyed it much more than the recent JSA WW2 and Superman Man Of Tomorrow animated films. But that's me.

I'd give it a B+.

15. Awest66 Registered

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. It adapted the story faithfully while adding some more depth to some small moments and the voice cast was top notch (Ackles, Duhammel, and Rivera (RIP) were the highlights) I hope the second part delivers as well.

I'm just so happy that WB has left that stupid New 52 aesthetic behind.

Erik Lensherr likes this.
  16. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

I have to say I enjoyed this quite a bit, they took some liberties that alter certain people position in the story so if they eventually did the sequel Dark Victory, it would be affected.

The arc of Batman learning how to become a detective was an interesting adjustment, and showcase the quick intellectual sense and strength of Bruce Wayne mind. He’s a fast learner . Alfred continue to be the butler with a sharp edge of wit and sarcasm.

Harvey’s pursuit to end organized crime in Gotham is strong and I like that we haven’t seen him yet full crack under the pressure that ultimately turns him into Two-Face. I look forward to seeing that unfold in part 2 next month.

Selina/ Catwoman has even more to do in this film and her character is fleshed out, although there’s no exploration on her lineage being associated with The Roman like in the comics, I’m curious to see if perhaps that will be mentioned in part 2. I was slightly shocked at the twist of her knowing The Dark Knight so quickly.

calendar Man was creepy as Hannibal even better than the comics. Nuff said

Carmine’s Empire kinda just unravel quickly than anticipated. I was kinda expecting a mod turf war to be more prevalent to accelerate escalation.

Overall the vocal performances by the cast was great. Stellar performance by Josh Duhamel as Harvey Dent and Jensen Ackles as a year two Young Batman.

Naya Rivera was sultry as Catwoman.

Looking forward to seeing part 2

17. Bruce Wayne Subtle.

There were a few teeny nods to Selina's familial link to Carmine.
    Such as her stopping mid-stride when Carmine mentioned the importance of family during his speech, Alberto wondering why he finds it so easy to talk to her, her recoiling in disgust and horror when he attempts to kiss her, etc.
    . Those last two examples are purposefully vague and can go either way, but definitely take on another layer of meaning for people who know the story,

atomicbattery and Gothamsknight like this.
  18. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

God I hope that Jensen is the voice of Batman in the new show

19. Longshot777 Registered

Injustice Animated Movie: Hold my beer.

20. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

I’ll start off by saying I give this probably 3.5 or 4 out of 5.

I absolutely adored the animation and designs, and this is coming from an extreme nit picker of all things Batman. I am almost never this happy with designs and visuals. Gotham looked dope. Gothic mixed with Art Deco. Batmobile design was sexy. Catwoman’s excellent design and color scheme made me realize how much I prefer the purple and black. It’s the most iconic look IMO. The animation looked great to me, and I loved how they incorporated both Tim Sale and BTAS influence within this world. This is the best animated Batman movie in years. A welcome change of pace after the abysmal Jason O’Mara Batman films.

The story is a slow burn for sure, and it will presumably all pay off in Part 2, but I still enjoyed the ride. The changes to the story all worked for me, except for the random anime-inspired fight scene with one of the rival gangs.

I’m thinking
    Gilda
    is Holiday.

Incredible voice acting all around. This is the best Batman voice cast since BTAS, no doubt about it. Jensen is clearly the 2nd best after Conroy, he needs to be the default. Alastair Duncan! Killing it again. Josh Duhamel surprised the hell out of me, and Naya was truly excellent here. Troy Baker I can take or leave. I’d have liked to see Kevin Michael Richardson returning.

But yeah, a solid movie for sure and I can’t wait for part 2. Bring on Dark Victory next!

Then Knightfall and No Man’s Land!

#295 The Lazarus Pit, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  21. Bruce Wayne Subtle.

I'd like to see some animated films based around other characters for a change, e.g., Plastic Man, Animal Man, Mr. Terrific.

But as far as Batman goes, yeah, Knightfall would be a good choice.

22. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

I have a feeling that could happen. There's really potential for him to be the voice of a new generation of Batman animation.

Awest66 likes this.
  23. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

I think
    There's two Holiday killers, the beginning was Gilda up until the death of Alberto...then it was Harvey. I suspectthe reason Harvey killed him is because he had a previous relationship with Gilda and something the Roman did to her might have affected her body that she is no longer able to conceive.

24. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

The show and these films aren't connected at all. Ackles is the new DTV Batman... Bruce Timm will do his own thing with 'Caped Crusader'.

I have a feeling it'll be Conroy or someone completely new for the show. Probably the latter.

25. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

Oh yes, I know that, but I was wondering if Ackles became popular enough that'd they possibly bring him in for that show too. But it's probably not likely.