Unpopular Comic Book Opinions - Part 1

Honestly, outside Weaving, I don't like much of anything about the film. Looked at purely by itself, it's decent enough, but when looked as an adaptation, I think it's incredibly poor in both capturing the events of the book and/or the spirit of it.

I don't care much about the allegory aspect of V For Vendetta, what hated about the film is how black and white they made everything. God, they even had the Head look visually identical to Hilter. The novel actually portrayed the government as people who, while not necessarily good, felt what they did was for the good intention, and V could be just as insane and crazy as he could be heroic. It took a very complicated story and made it overly simple. Maybe that's better for some, but definitely not for me.

But I disagree that it just ended, but we've discussed this before. All the major plot points were resolved by the end of the story, we just never got to see the fallout from it. Intention ambiguity to how people would react to the new situation.

The ending to the comic is way better than the movie.

Also, I hated the thinly coded support for the 9/11 Truther movement in the film. That was ********.

Also, on the whole I didn't think the movie was very good. The plot was pretty by-the-numbers, and the social commentary was a mile wide and an inch deep. The only truly engaging parts were the two scenes that were lifted directly from the comic, the rest was shallow leftist whining devoid of any substance. And this is a criticism coming from an especially whiny leftist.

I like the movie, mostly because there's a definitive ending and Weaving killed everyone's excuse that an actor NEEDS to show their face to emote. The book wasn't anything special.

I did not like V for Vendetta either. It had a terrific cast that was wasted on a garbage script.

So I think I've pinpointed where DC lost its mojo:

Eh, I dunno... it just makes perfect sense that Barry Allen would be the guy who brought about the New 52 and destroyed the DCU Proper, because that's totally what he did in real life too.
I passionately whole heartedly agree. After 30 years I have stopped collecting DC comics (at least anything New 52 related) and I used to read everything! Thank God for Adventures of Superman, Legends of the Dark Knight, and Batman Beyond Universe. It pains me to think that our opinion is unpopular, but at the moment this seems to be the case. So again I say, the New 52 sucks!

I passionately whole heartedly agree. After 30 years I have stopped collecting DC comics (at least anything New 52 related) and I used to read everything! Thank God for Adventures of Superman, Legends of the Dark Knight, and Batman Beyond Universe. It pains me to think that our opinion is unpopular, but at the moment this seems to be the case. So again I say, the New 52 sucks!

Adventures of Superman is fantastic.

Unpopular opinion? Superman should be entered into the public domain.

Because the public domain should be allowed to grow and fictional creations really should belong to everyone anyway. I understand keeping the copyright for the duration of the creator's life, but afterwards... I feel like if my characters were being kept from the public due to someone having a monopoly on them, I'd be unhappy. Superman belongs to all of us, why not make it official?

Because the public domain should be allowed to grow and fictional creations really should belong to everyone anyway. I understand keeping the copyright for the duration of the creator's life, but afterwards... I feel like if my characters were being kept from the public due to someone having a monopoly on them, I'd be unhappy. Superman belongs to all of us, why not make it official?

Hmmm, I don't know. It could work...DC Comics could still publish Superman stories. Not totally against it:woot:

If that meant we could finally get a Golden Age Superman movie then i wouldn't mind.

Hmmm, I don't know. It could work...DC Comics could still publish Superman stories. Not totally against it:woot:

DC would be stupid not to. Tagging all the books as the "REAL Superman" would draw enough readers, while those who want something different can get what they want.

There is a thread for the discussion of copyright/public domain.

Returning to the topic, I prefer Bendis' Avengers run to his X-Men run.

DC would be stupid not to. Tagging all the books as the "REAL Superman" would draw enough readers, while those who want something different can get what they want.

The more I think about the idea, the more I like it. The regular Superman comics from DC are crappy anyway...except for "Adventures of Superman", that one is great.

It's essentially already like that anyway. They may not be called Superman, but a Superman analogy that's basically Superman in everything but name only with a twist are all over the place.

It's essentially already like that anyway. They may not be called Superman, but a Superman analogy that's basically Superman in everything but name only with a twist are all over the place.

Like Supreme and Samaritan.

The more I think about the idea, the more I like it. The regular Superman comics from DC are crappy anyway...except for "Adventures of Superman", that one is great.
YES it is. I wish DC would at least offer an old continuity Justice League title and an anthology title that would have stories of pre-New 52 characters (especially Captain Marvel). Since the consensus seems to be that DC is hellbent that the the New 52 is here to stay.

YES it is. I wish DC would at least offer an old continuity Justice League title and an anthology title that would have stories of pre-New 52 characters (especially Captain Marvel). Since the consensus seems to be that DC is hellbent that the the New 52 is here to stay.

Yeah, what the heck happened to Captain Mar...oh, I'm sorry, he's called Shazam now:hehe: and Billy Batson is a jerk.

Wonder if Disney is going to publish some dark and gritty Donald Duck comics soon, where Dolly is a prostitute and Uncle Scrooge is a drug lord.

Billy new 52 Batson is not the parangon of good, and that leaves room for character development. What a shame!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"