• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Warner Bros. to Reboot Lethal Weapon

If they aim high, it actually could be kind of good. I mean would anyone complain if they got Christian Bale for Riggs and Denzel for Murtaugh?

I thought they were already tired. Attendence has gone down, though that could also be because of 3D. I don't think the problem with Hollywood is greed as much as it is just "playing it safe".

What they need to do is approve more passion projects from big name directors, but for that to happen they need more big name directors haha.

I thinks its a bit of both, greed mixed with playing it safe. I think 3D has really driven people away from the movies atleast in my neck of the woods, a theater by me only shows 3D movies now for the new movies like green hornet, so they kinda screwed the local folks. I just want good movies that get me pumped. In the crap pile of remakes weve gotten over the years have any of them actually been good besides batman and star trek?

heres a list of remakes divided by good or debatable and bad

good remakes:

star trek
batman
007 (if you can even count it as a remake)
dawn of the dead (atleast the opening act anyway)

bad remakes:

superman returns
king kong
hulk
halloween (1 &2)
friday the 13th
nightmare on elm street
the amityville horror
bad news bears
death at a funeral
fun with dick and jane
the hills have eyes
house of wax
the karate kid (might be that I just hate will smith's kids)
poseidon
planet of the apes
rollerball
the wicker man

I might have missed some but the ratio isnt good

Last edited:
If they aim high, it actually could be kind of good. I mean would anyone complain if they got Christian Bale for Riggs and Denzel for Murtaugh?
just because they are good at acting that doesnt mean that they both would be good together in an action comedy.

are you joking :huh:

just because they are good at acting that doesnt mean that they both would be good together in an action comedy.

are you joking :huh:
Um no I'm not joking. Sure both have had some misfires, very few misfires, but both typically pick very good movies. Actors of that quality being on board would certainly lend some credibility to the remake. And the first Lethal Weapon wasn't much of an action/comedy imo.

AH Denzel as Murtaugh would be cool

But this isnt that good of an idea and I doubt this will move forward

I thinks its a bit of both, greed mixed with playing it safe. I think 3D has really driven people away from the movies atleast in my neck of the woods, a theater by me only shows 3D movies now for the new movies like green hornet, so they kinda screwed the local folks. I just want good movies that get me pumped. In the crap pile of remakes weve gotten over the years have any of them actually been good besides batman and star trek?

heres a list of remakes divided by good or debatable and bad

good remakes:

star trek
batman
007 (if you can even count it as a remake)
dawn of the dead (atleast the opening act anyway)

bad remakes:

superman returns
king kong
hulk
halloween (1 &2)
friday the 13th
nightmare on elm street
the amityville horror
bad news bears
death at a funeral
fun with dick and jane
the hills have eyes
house of wax
the karate kid (might be that I just hate will smith's kids)
poseidon
planet of the apes
rollerball
the wicker man

I might have missed some but the ratio isnt good

Horror remakes are ridiculous and always pale to the original though Dawn of the Dead wasn't bad. So does comedies.

Calling The Karate Kid bad remake is a bit of a stretch because on its own merits it's pretty good. I don't think Smith's kids deserve the hate though. If anyone is to blame, it's Will Smith for forcing his kids upon us.

I think it's a bit a unfair to lump in KingKong with the others. That was a well done remake, better than previous remakes (still pales to the original even though the original isn't perfect by today's standards either).

And including the Incredible Hulk is also unfair. That was a pretty good film too that I thought was better than Ang Lee's film. It had less depth, but it was much more tightly done script and held together better. And it had kept some of the deleted scenes in the film, it would've been even better.

Superman Returns wasn't a remake/reboot. It was a sequel. I'd say that got more a mixed reaction than anything. I was meh on it, but I'm thinking more towards the general reaction towards the films than a personal reaction.

Um no I'm not joking. Sure both have had some misfires, very few misfires, but both typically pick very good movies. Actors of that quality being on board would certainly lend some credibility to the remake. And the first Lethal Weapon wasn't much of an action/comedy imo.

Actually it is an action comedy. Even though it wasn't as much a comedy as LW2, most of the humor came from the dialogue of Riggs and Murtaugh, like the scenes at dinner at Murtaugh's, Riggs waking up Murtaugh with coffee, Rigg's killing that guy at the pool among other things. What Lethal Weapon 1 and 2 got right were the little bits of banter between Rigg's and Murtaugh thanks to the chemistry between Mel Gibson and Danny Glover.

The first Lethal Weapon wasn't any more of a action/comedy than Die Hard was or Aliens.

Horror remakes are ridiculous and always pale to the original though Dawn of the Dead wasn't bad. So does comedies.

yeah but you still have to put them in the remake category for discussion

Calling The Karate Kid bad remake is a bit of a stretch because on its own merits it's pretty good. I don't think Smith's kids deserve the hate though. If anyone is to blame, it's Will Smith for forcing his kids upon us.

I hate big willie for doing that, lord knows the other cant sing her way out of a box.

I think it's a bit a unfair to lump in KingKong with the others. That was a well done remake, better than previous remakes (still pales to the original even though the original isn't perfect by today's standards either).

it was well done but It just didnt do anything for me, it just doesnt resonate with me like the version with jeff bridges does.

And including the Incredible Hulk is also unfair. That was a pretty good film too that I thought was better than Ang Lee's film. It had less depth, but it was much more tightly done script and held together better. And it had kept some of the deleted scenes in the film, it would've been even better.

I would have put that in the good but theres elements you touch upon that kept it out for me. It would have been perfect if they could somehow take aspects from ang lee's film and this one and mesh them together. Ya know take the amazing effects in the 2003 one and the character depth and mix it with the story, action and actors from the 2008 one and you could have possibly had the best comic book movie.

Superman Returns wasn't a remake/reboot. It was a sequel. I'd say that got more a mixed reaction than anything. I was meh on it, but I'm thinking more towards the general reaction towards the films than a personal reaction.

I remember singer saying it was a sequel/reimaging but thats nethier here nor there. I did have mixed feelings on it because again certain aspects were good but the negatives far outweighed the positives. dont get me started on the casting and the kid.

Yeah I didnt really see Lethal Weapon as an action comedy either. SOme of the 80s action comedies I dont really see as such

I think the problem with remakes is that, like stated above, maybe 2 out of 10 remakes are good.

Usually, the studio will misinterpret what made the original good. For example, I brought up 'Fame', and how the remake is COMPLETELY watered down from the edgy original..

AH Denzel as Murtaugh would be cool

But this isnt that good of an idea and I doubt this will move forward

Denzel doesn't have the 'world weary' look that Danny Glover had in the original film. Also, he's still very young looking for his age, so I can't buy him being the dude who wants to retire soon.

I could

besides as Ive said I doubt this will come to fruition

yeah but you still have to put them in the remake category for discussion

Yeah. I was agreeing.

I hate big willie for doing that, lord knows the other cant sing her way out of a box.

Haha :hehe:

it was well done but It just didnt do anything for me, it just doesnt resonate with me like the version with jeff bridges does.

That's fine. To each their own

I would have put that in the good but theres elements you touch upon that kept it out for me. It would have been perfect if they could somehow take aspects from ang lee's film and this one and mesh them together. Ya know take the amazing effects in the 2003 one and the character depth and mix it with the story, action and actors from the 2008 one and you could have possibly had the best comic book movie.

I agree. I don't like it but I wouldn't call it a very bad movie. It just needed more fine tuning.

I remember singer saying it was a sequel/reimaging but thats nethier here nor there. I did have mixed feelings on it because again certain aspects were good but the negatives far outweighed the positives. dont get me started on the casting and the kid.

Not disagreeing there, but I say take the kid out, give Superman more dialogue (and put some of the banter with Luthor back) and a dragon to fight (not an actual dragon but its a term, look it up tvtropes) and you have a good Superman film.

And the GA didn't hate it as much as comic book fans and Superman fans.

I think the problem with remakes is that, like stated above, maybe 2 out of 10 remakes are good.

Usually, the studio will misinterpret what made the original good. For example, I brought up 'Fame', and how the remake is COMPLETELY watered down from the edgy original..

Haha did anyone even see Fame? That was forgotten as soon it was released. :hehe:

Hehe..image Denzil Washington and ....CHRIS PINE in LETHAL WEAPON!

Not disagreeing there, but I say take the kid out, give Superman more dialogue (and put some of the banter with Luthor back) and a dragon to fight (not an actual dragon but its a term, look it up tvtropes) and you have a good Superman film.

And the GA didn't hate it as much as comic book fans and Superman fans.

I thought the same way about the kid, I didnt hate the kid but it was uneeded in the story. I dont understand why brandon didnt have more lines and have singer push him with some dramatic scenes, he's a really good actor. Spacey was perfect for lex but he just didnt have anything to do. I mean its superman for crying out loud and its 2006, take the character and story to the next level, dont have him fightiing to stop luthor from growing real estate. Agree with dragon comment.

ah I knew it was only a matter of time before someone mentioned Chris Pine for the role:o

I like him as an actor.

But he's suggested for every role under the sun and it gets kinda boring

I like him as an actor.

thats hollywood for ya, they always push the new it guy or flavor of the month. Remember this time last year sam worthington was the it guy coming off of avatar, thank god his star quickly died down a tad.

I like him as an actor.

It was more of a joke due to Unstoppable, which was like Odd Couple/Buddy Cop movie on a train anyway.

thats hollywood for ya, they always push the new it guy or flavor of the month. Remember this time last year sam worthington was the it guy coming off of avatar, thank god his star quickly died down a tad.

But I think Pine has more gravitas than Worthington. Also, he hasn't been overexposed (yet) so he's cool in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"