Weakest MCU film?

Flint Marko

Bring me Thanos (P)
Reaction score
I’ve been doing my Infinity War rewatch marathon and just finished up Thor: The Dark World. It definitely stands out as one of the weaker installments in the franchise but I’d argue it’s actually better than Iron Man 2 and far better than The Incredible Hulk, which I believe is easily the worst.

What do you think? I put these movies as the main options because I believe they are commonly cited as the bottom 3, but if you feel otherwise then sound off below.

I have to say personally for me Iron Man 3 was the worst. A lot of it was how hyped I was about reading up about The Mandarin and how awesome the powers of all the rings sounded.

Tried watching it again a few months ago and even knowing the story its just as bad.

Incredible Hulk is the worst imo. It's not that it has big story flaws so much as it doesn't bring that much awesomeness to the table. And if you don't have the latter, what's even the point?

Iron Man 2 has an overstuffed plot, but scene to scene it's still really enjoyable imo. Dark World also has a lot of enjoyable scenes, mostly because of some neat visuals and fun characters.

I'd also put The First Avenger near the bottom as well, for the same reason as Incredible Hulk.

Last edited:
I have to say personally for me Iron Man 3 was the worst. A lot of it was how hyped I was about reading up about The Mandarin and how awesome the powers of all the rings sounded.

Tried watching it again a few months ago and even knowing the story its just as bad.

Came in here to say the same thing.

Thor: the Dark World. It's easily the least memorable film in the entire MCU for me. Much as Iron Man 2 was a commercial for The Avengers, it had some memorable bits. Dark World? Only thing that comes to mind when thinking about that was when Loki transformed into various characters.

Outside of that, it's the one MCU film- at the point when I did go see them all opening weekend, though that's changed- that I wish I'd held off on watching and didn't make me anticipate Ragnarok, which to this day I haven't seen.

That's a shame because Ragnarok is delightful and very, very different from its predecessors.

I voted Iron Man 2. As entertaining as Downey Jr can be, watching him goofing around for two hours is not what I consider a good time.

Iron Man 2. The movie is entertaining, but the plot is sooooooooo loose it almost doesn't exist.

Age of Ultron. It is too long, drags too much, and has too much in it that doesn't go anywhere (ex. the Thor bathtub stuff). It is the only one on re-watch where I start looking at my watch halfway through. There is good stuff in the film. I like the opening, up through the Avengers Tower party. I like the Hulkbuster/Hulk fight. I like the final act. I like Tony's character arc that drives the film (he really is the main character in this installment). There is a good 110 minute or so film in here, but it just stretches on for two long without warranting it (unlike Civil War, which does use the longer time effectively and has significantly less padding). In no other MCU film, including things like TDW and IM2, am I ever at any point bored like I am at times in the second act of this film.

Age of Ultron. It is too long, drags too much, and has too much in it that doesn't go anywhere (ex. the Thor bathtub stuff). It is the only one on re-watch where I start looking at my watch halfway through. There is good stuff in the film. I like the opening, up through the Avengers Tower party. I like the Hulkbuster/Hulk fight. I like the final act. I like Tony's character arc that drives the film (he really is the main character in this installment). There is a good 110 minute or so film in here, but it just stretches on for two long without warranting it (unlike Civil War, which does use the longer time effectively and has significantly less padding). In no other MCU film, including things like TDW and IM2, am I ever at any point bored like I am at times in the second act of this film.

Hulkbuster is the saving grace of that movie for me lol.

Always thought it would have been better if they had went with the Tony story arc more. Would have loved to have seen a couple more scenes with just Tony & Ultron the dialogue would have been immense.

Thor: TDW is easily the weakest for me. Too much of the human characters, the villains and plot lines are bad, and Thor doesn't feel important to much of the story except to do the action bits.

TDW is the only one in the poll I've no interest in rewatching, even for a few select scenes, so was quick on a vote there. Although, Iron Man 3 probably falls below it for me. That last hour or whatever after the Mandarin facade was dropped just meandered.

TDW for me,though AOU gets lower and lower on my list each time I watch it.

TIH and IM2 are on the lower end of the scale also, but they have great and memorable moments in them.

Thor 2 easy too bad it introduced an infinity stone

I haven't seen it since it was in the theaters but I have no interest to ever watch it again

The Incredible Hulk. While it lacks as many problems as, say, Thor 2, it suffers from a more crippling problem: a lack of virtues. Its just generally lacking in any compelling reason to watch it, at all. At least Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 have *something*.

Those are the weakest for me. I don't think any are outright crap (just big underachievers on potential, and with some very silly parts) and all 3 have parts which I like a lot.

The Dark World for sure, I enjoy certain things about it. I don’t outright hate it. But I just think of the overall MCU for myself it’s the weakest.

The Incredible Hulk. Recasted Banner, this movie just seems out of place with the rest of them.

I give a boost to TIH for the 44 minutes of deleted scenes.

It's not the best MCU movie, but I would easily put it over IM2 and Dark World.

The Incredible Hulk seems dated and almost pointless now. It has its moments and the actors for the most part do a decent job but it can be a chore to watch now. It hasn't aged well considering the recasting of Banner and the fact that nearly everything about that movie has been forgotten within the context of the MCU save for William Hurt's General Ross, and that's not even talking about the now subpar CGI. I get that Marvel and Disney treat it as the black sheep of the MCU because it was (and still is?) a Universal production and Edward Norton didn't want to play ball with them, but looking past that, it's just a mediocre film. It's not bad, but the only reason I continue to watch it is because it's a part of the MCU.

Iron Man 2 is too much of an Avengers setup and Thor: The Dark World took a bunch of missteps but I'd still take either of them over The Incredible Hulk.

The Incredible Hulk. Its not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination but when I do a MCU marathon (which is basically me just watching the scenes I like from each movie) I spend the least time on this movie. It just has the fewest enjoyable scenes for me out of all the MCU movies.

Iron Man 2. It honestly had 3 or 4 plots going and yet none of them were really fleshed out. Tony is dying. But doesn’t tell anyone so it’s meaningless. Vanko wants revenge. Then disappears for half the movie. Hammer wants to be Tony. But his tech sucks. And maybe Fury is building the Avengers team? The only good part was seeing the briefcase armor.

I can’t fault TIH. It was their second movie in the MCU and they were still figuring it out. They tried swinging the pendulum the other way from Ang Lee’s version and give it more action and Hulk be the hero. I think it had some good ideas. But the CGI definitely was horrible (I’m looking at you campus scene). But yet when it’s on, I’ll always stop to watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"