What Do You Think Will Happen With This Film?

The FF should be part of their own universe, IMO. i think having ALL superhero films in the same continuity is a terrible idea. Always have. They need to be able to exist by themselves. They should have made an Avengers film with separate actors than those in other franchises. Otherwise, stupid stunts happen like a World's Finest movie that is happening TOO FAST!
No they shouldn't. The FF were made to be the backbone of the Marvel Universe. Literally. That's where they belong.

No they shouldn't. The FF were made to be the backbone of the Marvel Universe. Literally. That's where they belong.

Really? Backbone of the Marvel universe? if that was the case we should get a FF film every 2 to 3 years and they should hold off on X-movies etc.

Some have suggested that Wolverine's performance would be key to Fox's decision. So does the poor performance: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10904862

make it more likely that Fox will not move forward?

Or is it possible they'll look at that and say: "People are getting bored with Wolverine. We need something fresh." and become more focused on FF because of it?

I was wondering the same thing myself. Two key points to keep in mind are A) There's no way that FOX is going to put out a quality FF film for $120 million, and B) An FF reboot has zero chance of outgrossing a Jackman-led, Asian based Wolverine film.

If FOX is concerned that audiences were turned off by XMO:W, how will they respond to a reboot of the horrific prior two FF films, especially considering that a large % of comic book movie fans are hoping the film is never made? And this time around FOX is losing merchandise revenue - Disney/Marvel isn't going to move Avengers related product off of the shelves to make way for Thing hands and feet. Unless FOX is willing to waste $150 million or so to poke Disney/Marvel in the eye, I can't see a reason for them to greenlight this film.

Really? Backbone of the Marvel universe? if that was the case we should get a FF film every 2 to 3 years and they should hold off on X-movies etc.
Fox doesn't have the Marvel universe now do they. That's why i said it belongs at Marvel and shouldn't be used as its own solo thing. The great thing about FF is how they're so involved with the entire Marvel Universe...you don't get that in a Fox film. You get Doom, Surfer, and CG cloud Galactus. It's like a walled garden.

I was wondering the same thing myself. Two key points to keep in mind are A) There's no way that FOX is going to put out a quality FF film for $120 million, and B) An FF reboot has zero chance of outgrossing a Jackman-led, Asian based Wolverine film.

If FOX is concerned that audiences were turned off by XMO:W, how will they respond to a reboot of the horrific prior two FF films, especially considering that a large % of comic book movie fans are hoping the film is never made? And this time around FOX is losing merchandise revenue - Disney/Marvel isn't going to move Avengers related product off of the shelves to make way for Thing hands and feet. Unless FOX is willing to waste $150 million or so to poke Disney/Marvel in the eye, I can't see a reason for them to greenlight this film.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

If Fox is even considering what Wolverine does before finalizing their plans for FF, that simple fact just illustrates their ignorance. Wolverine and FF are as different as two films could be, but I suspect that around the board-table at Fox, they see them as basically equivalent because they're both superhero/comic book movies.

Marvel on the other hand has some understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of all the various characters they have. If Guardians of The Galaxy bombs, for example, I don't think they'll say: "That's it. I guess this whole superhero fad has run its course." They'll consider the unique elements of that film and how they worked or didn't work with audiences and focus on different types of stories and characters from among the infinite opportunities of the properties they control.

That may have been the case had they not produced the tripe we got instead especially after Last Stand.

and even if Guardians bombs we'll see the characters pop up in other places.

So what is the word so far on this thing (Yes.. the pun was intended)?! The only thing making any headlines or getting any reaction was the Jordan rumor. How ever you feel about that issue at least it was something. How fast could FOX at this time even put together a passable in quality FF, much less a well thought out good one? Or am I just overreacting?

and even if Guardians bombs we'll see the characters pop up in other places.

It depends. If Guardians bombs but is still a hit with critics and fans than yes, but if its a total flop both critically and financially then Marvel wont even so much as even hint at anything cosmic ever again.

Not true....especially since Thanos is the main villain of the MCU right now. :/

If Guardians bombs or whatever they will still introduce cosmic elements in their other films. It's a big part of the Marvel universe you just don't ignore. They may not be so bold as to make an entire movie based around it again though. But I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that and Guardians is a huge success.

So what is the word so far on this thing (Yes.. the pun was intended)?! The only thing making any headlines or getting any reaction was the Jordan rumor. How ever you feel about that issue at least it was something. How fast could FOX at this time even put together a passable in quality FF, much less a well thought out good one? Or am I just overreacting?

Unless there are any contractual stipulations on start of production (and there very well could be), I don't think timing is a problem . . . yet.

The film is scheduled to open March 6, 2015, so they could start filming some time next year and still have it ready in time (though that would clearly be another indication that they may be repeating the mistakes of the past).

As for a summary of what is known or rumored, production was originally said to be beginning in Vancouver in July but has recently been reported to be September in Lousiana. ( the climate in Louisiana in Sept. is probably similar to the climate in Vancouver in July, so we can only guess if they simply decided to shoot a little later in the year once they decided to move to Lousiana or it there's more to it than that and possibly some stalling).

The most telling thing to me so far was the complete lack of mention at Comic Con. I can't see why, if they're moving forward and excited about this project they wouldn't have at least mentioned it.

At this point, it seems that little has been invested, so there is still room for optimism for those who want Marvel to get it. Personally, I'm about 50/50 regarding which way I think it will go.

But now that production is supposed to start in September we've only got 2 more months to wait and see if that actually happens.

I've been watching the poll results pretty closely. Right after Comic-Con, they were leaning pretty heavily toward Marvel getting them, but they shifted to much more even once it was reported that Fox intended to start in September.

I don't know how meaningful that report was, but it did give something other than the silence at Comic-Con and it made me and others think it may be more likely that Fox will do it.

I don't think The Wolverine will have a huge impact. Fox is basically banking on DoFP and X-Force. That to me says they haven't exactly given up on the genre. I think the best thing for them would be to secure release dates and maximum exposure for X-Men films and FF is a good bargaining chip. A FF movie in March just isn't going to fly for a lot of folks. It's not a movie you are going to spend 150 million on in hopes of getting families out there in the middle of the school year. Could very well be another John Carter, which would hurt Fox a lot more than a juggernaught like Disney. They need to be angling for prime dates, and with Avengers 2 and WF looming, it's looking like something in early March will easily get overlooked. For a FF film to really stand out, I am thinking they need to go hard sci-fi and move away from the camp. I think any X-Men tie-ins would be gimmicky and we will only get easter eggs if that. It needs to be a self contained, Nolan type trilogy that completely stands on its own, with an all-star cast and what not. I just don't believe FF garners that kind of respect from Fox to merit such attention to detail.

Heh, i still remember everybody here very excited that Fox wasn't going to start film it in time

Back to the question, "What Do You Think Will Happen With This Film?"

I think Fox will make the film, it will suck even worse than the first two and earn about $1.50 at the domestic box office. The studio won't care that it bombs harder than Battleship because they'll lock down the character rights for another few years, which is their real goal with it. Then they'll crap out a Silver Surfer film of some sort to retain rights to that character, which should be a golden goose but in Fox's hands is a wild turkey.

I'm not going to take Millars word as gospel nor the report of filming starting in September only because they've pulled similar crap before with Daredevil to no avail. So if it happens it happens but till then, whatever.

F4 reboot is happening, millar has said so.
No he didn't. And interviewer mentioned FF in a list of a slew of other films and he was like "yeah uh huh". Anyway of course he's not going to say the movie is not being made. He's not going to comment or lead on to any problems going on.

I'm getting excited by the lack of any announcements at Comic-Con, and I think we have our best evidence yet that the Fox project could be dying. But I still don't know how good our chances really are, and I'm curious what everybody thinks.

I'm afraid I may be letting my optimism get the better of me and things could still be on track with Fox.

There are just two simple options to choose from (Sure there could be other things that might happen, and feel free to discuss those below, but I want to keep the poll options as black and white as possible):

The project is far from dying. They are setting filming locations, as well as sending out casting calls, for christ sakes.

http://www.onlocationvacations.com/tag/fantastic-four-filming-in-louisiana/

http://theadvocate.com/home/6650337-125/local-casting-call-out-for

Odds are, like their X-Force film (the writer of which confirmed is in development), they are waiting for the right time to announce it formally, as well as announce the cast.

The project is far from dying. They are setting filming locations, as well as sending out casting calls, for christ sakes.

http://www.onlocationvacations.com/tag/fantastic-four-filming-in-louisiana/

http://theadvocate.com/home/6650337-125/local-casting-call-out-for

Odds are, like their X-Force film (the writer of which confirmed is in development), they are waiting for the right time to announce it formally, as well as announce the cast.

Well. . . yeah. . . we've been discussing that.

As for a summary of what is known or rumored, production was originally said to be beginning in Vancouver in July but has recently been reported to be September in Lousiana.

You quoted me from July 23rd and then posted stories from July 26 and July 30.

If you had used your crystal ball to post those stories before they were announced, it would have been more useful. :cwink:

No he didn't. And interviewer mentioned FF in a list of a slew of other films and he was like "yeah uh huh". Anyway of course he's not going to say the movie is not being made. He's not going to comment or lead on to any problems going on.

He said that his role is similar to Joss Weaton. He hinted that FF is apart of their long term plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"