What Do You Think Will Happen With This Film?

Willie Lumpkin

Trophy Husband
Reaction score
I'm getting excited by the lack of any announcements at Comic-Con, and I think we have our best evidence yet that the Fox project could be dying. But I still don't know how good our chances really are, and I'm curious what everybody thinks.

I'm afraid I may be letting my optimism get the better of me and things could still be on track with Fox.

There are just two simple options to choose from (Sure there could be other things that might happen, and feel free to discuss those below, but I want to keep the poll options as black and white as possible):

I just think the franchise is too much of a logistical nightmare for Fox. You only need to look at the struggles they had in the 90s and the early 2000s just to get the first film off the ground, and this is without the baggage of a reboot. And they already blew their wad with "the Fox way" with the original duology.

My guess is that Marvel and FOX work out a deal that puts the First Family's introduction into the MCU at May, 2017.

I just think the franchise is too much of a logistical nightmare for Fox. You only need to look at the struggles they had in the 90s and the early 2000s just to get the first film off the ground, and this is without the baggage of a reboot. And they already blew their wad with "the Fox way" with the original duology.

I think you make a good point. It probably won't make a difference to a general audience, but people like us will probably be more likely (everything else being equal) to see a Marvel Vs. Fox film. And while we might be a minority, it's people like us - going to midnight showings and creating buzz - that could be the difference between a movie like this succeeding or failing. From that point of view, it's worth more to Marvel than Fox since they won't be battling past perceptions in the same way Fox will have to.

My guess is that Marvel and FOX work out a deal that puts the First Family's introduction into the MCU at May, 2017.

I hope you're right. So far, in the early going, most people seem to think Marvel will get it, but I don't know how much of that is wishful thinking. I know I voted that way, but if I really had to put money on it, I'm not sure which way I would go.

If Sony announces a Venom film with Josh Trank directing ahead of TASM4 then victory is ours. :D

It is very strange that there hasn't been a peep on this project in months. You don't even read any interviews of Trank or even Vaughn talking about it.

I think there are preliminary talks ongoing about shipping the rights back home. Fox obviously wants a cut. I don't think Marvel is confident with PIII anchored by Ant-Man and Dr. Strange. Then you have PIV, and obviously RDJ will be done with Iron Man by then. They will be looking for Spidey to anchor a potential ensemble by then, or the FF roster itself. Marvel can buy time with Cap 2 and Thor 2 performing well. If they don't perform well, there is a greater imperative to work out a deal and get the creative rights back.

If Fox rushes into this film, it will most likely be a critical and financial failure. They know this. The last thing Marvel or Fox wants is for people to get cautious about going to superhero movies. They're probably focussing on X-Men, which hey is fine with me, if Marvel got the rights back to X-Men they would have to much on their plate. F4 fits perfectly within the MCU, and many of the F4 related characters are ones that can be used across multiple movies(Dr. Doom, Galactus, SS, etc).

We'll find out in the upcoming months. Just think, first Punisher, Blade, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, and now maybe Fantastic Four? The only rights Marvel don't have in their reach are Spider-Man and X-Men. Disney have done a good job so far.

I think this reboot is still going to happen, and people are being too hopeful about the film rights reverting back to Marvel. This past June, writer Seth Grahame-Smith was hired to do a script polish, so they are still working on it and there are no signs of the movie dying. They need to start production soon though to ensure they can make it to the March 6th, 2015 release date.

There were no announcements at comic con because, well, there really isn't much to announce. The final draft of the script is not yet finished, and it doesn't look like they have finished casting. They will most likely have a panel at SDCC 2014.

Where are all these ideas of Fox trying to get a deal out of Marvel coming from?? That's literally a delusion.

I think this reboot is still going to happen, and people are being too hopeful about the film rights reverting back to Marvel. This past June, writer Seth Grahame-Smith was hired to do a script polish, so they are still working on it and there are no signs of the movie dying. They need to start production soon though to ensure they can make it to the March 6th, 2015 release date.

There were no announcements at comic con because, well, there really isn't much to announce. The final draft of the script is not yet finished, and it doesn't look like they have finished casting. They will most likely have a panel at SDCC 2014.
The movie is coming out in under 2 years. Back in 2003 Fox had a FF banner hanging up at comic con, a full two years in advance before the movie came out. The fact they didn't say anything at all DOES mean something. No other studio didn't say something about their 2015 superhero films other than Fox with FF.

Where are all these ideas of Fox trying to get a deal out of Marvel coming from?? That's literally a delusion.

I don't believe it was ever confirmed, but around the time of the Daredevil rights reversion it was rumored that FOX was open to cofinancing the project with Marvel. It would make sense for FOX to try and squeeze something out of FF rights that are very valuable to the MCU, whether it be hundreds of millions of dollars, a commitment to deeper ties between the X Men and the MCU or an agreement to put movie tie-in merchandise into stores before the release of DOFP.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I was convinced Fox was working an angle when they announced the reboot literally the day after Disney bought Marvel.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=58594

http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/31/news/companies/disney_marvel/

Why announce it on that day specifically? If they were really interested in making the movie, there was no logical reason to announce it at that moment. They could simply go about the business of making the movie. There was no reason to make a big announcement right then ( particularly considering it's now four years later and they haven't even started ).

But, if their real motivation was to get money out of Disney/Marvel, the timing was perfect. When 4 billion dollar checks were being written, what would another few hundred million be? Sofa change.

So I was convinced for quite a while that Fox was just angling for a deal. Even as we got rumors about casting - Bruce Willis as Ben, Adrien Brody as Reed and many others I've forgotten - came and went, there didn't seem to be any real money being spent, locations scouted, directors attached, etc. So I still felt it was likely just Fox pretending they wanted to make the film to get money from Disney.

Then when Josh Trank was announced and a release date of March 16, 2015 was chosen, Fox's effort seemed more real than it had been up to that point. We started hearing about location scouting and shooting to start in July or early fall 2013.

But with no cast, it seemed impossible for them to start shooting on that schedule, but with Comic-Con in July, it seemed logical that Fox might want to keep the cast secret and then make big splash at Comic-Con by announcing it there.

But as we saw, not only didn't we get a cast, but nobody at Fox even whispered "Fantastic" and "Four" in the same sentence.

And that strikes me as very odd.

If they're really making this film, I'd expect them to at least talk about it, put up a teaser poster etc. to get people excited about a film that is just around the corner in Hollywood terms.

And even if they had no intention of making the movie, I would expect them to at least mention it to bring Disney to the table.

The lack of any mention makes me wonder if Disney is already at the table. Either that or Fox has completely lost interest and they're just going to let it die and slide into Disney's hands. Those are the only two scenarios I can imagine for the complete lack of any mention at the biggest event of the year.

What makes me think its about the payout? The negotiations over extending the Daredevil rights. Fox was way further along in making a DD movie at the time than they were a FF movie, and Disney made a fairly generous offer: an extension in exchange for *shared* rights to some FF characters. Given that Fox wasn't willing to allow even sharing for some characters, to the point of outright losing one of their licenses?

IMO, its because they took that offer as evidence of which license Marvel valued more highly.

I seriously don't know. I want FOX to succeed with this reboot because I want Fantastic Four to work with the X-Men, but if they are just gonna fail and make a mediocre film, I would rather see Disney do their own Fantastic Four movie.

Ah okay, I see your point. I forgot they announced this reboot all the way back in 2009. That is odd. Still though, I'm not sure if them trying to weasel money is what they're after. Maybe some type of joint licensing deal is what they were initially after, since maybe they thought with Marvel being under new ownership they'd be more willing to work with them on cross licensing some stuff, and they've since realized that wasn't going to happen? So now they're just kind of mingering along with the film, which they don't really want to make...

I seriously don't know. I want FOX to succeed with this reboot because I want Fantastic Four to work with the X-Men, but if they are just gonna fail and make a mediocre film, I would rather see Disney do their own Fantastic Four movie.
Not sure why you would want the FF to work with the X-Men. It doesn't make sense.

I already explained before why, I want FF to work with the X-Men. In fact I even made a thread about it. I'm not gonna repeat it again for you to get it.

Not everyone knows about or reads every thread you make. But okay.

I gotta admit, it is looking good that the FF revert back to Marvel. Ironically, I'm less interested in seeing the FF themselves in the MCU but rather everything that comes with them such as Skrulls, Doom, Surfer, and best of all Galactus.

Last edited:
Yeah pretty much. Honestly I wouldn't care if Fox kept the FF themselves and just gave back Doom, SS, Galactus, the Skrulls and Kree name, the Negative Zone, and Annihilus. Although a Marvel Studios made FF movie would be pretty cool I think.

I could easily see a teamup between X men and the Fantastic Four. But I think it'll be a teamup between the emerging X force members and Fantastic four...

I'd make Kang the villain and continue on from where DoFP leaves off to bring together Kang and Apocalypse.
Kang buried Apocalypse in ancient egypt in the comics.
Maybe they find out the problems with the timeline(s) start there...
The older X Men and Fantastic four teamup together to stop Apocalypse in ancient Egypt. In this case, the X force and our new Fantastic Four team work together to stop Kang and Apocalypse.

I can see the Fantastic Four movie calling itself a Fantastic four movie, but actually becoming a Kang/Apocalypse movie and bigger than most are expecting.

We'll find out in the upcoming months. Just think, first Punisher, Blade, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, and now maybe Fantastic Four? The only rights Marvel don't have in their reach are Spider-Man and X-Men. Disney have done a good job so far.

All of those? Awesome! How did they get Ghost Rider back when a movie just came out a year ago?

I have no idea if FF will got back to Marvel, but I really hope so. So far it seems like a possibility. If by around the time Days of Future Past is coming out and still no information.... Then I'll allow myself to get my hopes up. I really hope FF and company can meet the Avengers and all fight Galactus together.

Not everyone knows about or reads every thread you make. But okay.

Legend in his own mind. :whatever:

As for the FF rights reverting, I'm not going to get my hopes up and expect Fox to still be releasing the reboot in 2015. I'll wait till later this year to start getting optimistic. They have to start shooting early next year at the latest to make the release date.

What makes me think its about the payout? The negotiations over extending the Daredevil rights. Fox was way further along in making a DD movie at the time than they were a FF movie, and Disney made a fairly generous offer: an extension in exchange for *shared* rights to some FF characters. Given that Fox wasn't willing to allow even sharing for some characters, to the point of outright losing one of their licenses?

IMO, its because they took that offer as evidence of which license Marvel valued more highly.
It wasn't all that generous, they didn't want shared rights, they wanted the rights to characters like Galactus and Silver Surfer.

I could easily see a teamup between X men and the Fantastic Four. But I think it'll be a teamup between the emerging X force members and Fantastic four...

I'd make Kang the villain and continue on from where DoFP leaves off to bring together Kang and Apocalypse.
Kang buried Apocalypse in ancient egypt in the comics.
Maybe they find out the problems with the timeline(s) start there...
The older X Men and Fantastic four teamup together to stop Apocalypse in ancient Egypt. In this case, the X force and our new Fantastic Four team work together to stop Kang and Apocalypse.

I can see the Fantastic Four movie calling itself a Fantastic four movie, but actually becoming a Kang/Apocalypse movie and bigger than most are expecting.

Kang the Conqueror is an Avengers property.

I'm a little afraid - like back when Pixar split from Disney because Jobs and Eisner butted heads - that part of the problem could be stubborn personalities and grudges involved.

Disney may not be willing to make a reasonable offer because . . . "F*** those A******* at Fox." and Fox might not be willing to offer the property at a reasonable price because . . . "F*** those A******* at Disney."

I'm a little afraid - like back when Pixar split from Disney because Jobs and Eisner butted heads - that part of the problem could be stubborn personalities and grudges involved.

Disney may not be willing to make a reasonable offer because . . . "F*** those A******* at Fox." and Fox might not be willing to offer the property at a reasonable price because . . . "F*** those A******* at Disney."

Though the obverse to that might be that Tom Rothman's departure could open a door.

It seems that the Galactus/Daredevil fiasco happened in August of last year:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/fox-insiders-no-galactus-talks-with-marvel/

And Rotman left in September:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tom-rothman-leaving-20th-century-370515

That could be an important detail to give us some hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"