What Do/Don't You Want to See from Episode VIII? (TFA SPOILERS INSIDE)

Things I would be interested in:

- No Lando, and no more pre-existing characters excepting Luke and perhaps Obi-Wan, just focus on the new
- Captain Phasma hunts down and almost kills Finn, or kills him if they want to be really bold
- I would like to see Rey succumb to the dark side in some way, and taught how to over come
- Some actual substantial Jedi training, ideally in ways we've not seen before
- We find out everything we need to know about Rey's past, who she really is, and how she relates to Luke in it
- Benicio Del Toro is not a CGI character
- In fact, no more CGI characters at all if possible. The practical creatures were very effective
- Refine Snoke's look somehow, perhaps become more practical, or as a blend with CGI.
- Something to fill in a little more history and back story of goings on since Return of the Jedi to be recounted by Luke

DO tell us about the Ren.
DO tell us about Snoke. He's the reason the new trilogy exists basically, so don't pull another TFA.
DO make Poe one of the main leads. I get Arndt wanted to off him during Act I of TFA and JJ basically saved him via Oscar Isaac, but go from there.
DON'T ever copy another OT movie. Ever.

DO:

- More Poe. The show needs a new Han type charming smartass, he's your man.
- Go deeper into mythology of the force, show us ancient temples and uncharted space.
- Force ghosts

Don't

- Keep Snoke as boring as TFA
- Overly simplify and dumb things down. We've spent 7 movies in this world, don't insult our knowledge.
- Remake an existing Star Wars movie beat for beat again.

What I Want To See:

1. Finn improving as a character. I'm starting to get the feeling that some want Poe to take over as the second lead, but I personally don't want to see that at all. I'd rather see Finn go from being his TFA self to becoming the non-Jedi badass of the new trilogy.

2. More Captain Plasma. Assuming that Kylo will be training for a good chunk of the movie, I'd love to see Plasma become the main villain of the film.

3. Either Anakin or Obi Wan returning as a Force Ghost.

4. A Kylo Ren that curb stomps anyone he fights.

5. Poe in a more significant role. While I think making him the new Han would be kind of predictable, he does deserve better screentime than he had in TFA.

What I Don't Want:

1. A Movie that retreads Empire Strikes Back. Too many trilogies nowadays crib from ESB. I want to see this film take some creative risks.

2. Finn as mostly comic relief. We should see a Finn that has definitely evolved from his TFA self.

3. A Poe/Rey romance.

After Force Awakens i definitely don't want to see Poe or Finn being pushed into a romance with Rey, would rather see her be more like Luke was by the end of Return of the Jedi.

Agreed with those who say it shouldn't be like Empire Strikes Back, i hope it's a completely new type of film. I wanna see more of an expansion on the force, as well as the concept of the knights of ren and what went wrong with Luke's Jedi academy, but i hope they stay away from spending too much time on training.

There's a lot left explaining, so i doubt the new trilogy will have much time to explain all the new concepts, i mean, we have:
-What are the knights of Ren?
-Who's Snoke?
-How far did Luke's Jedi academy go?
-What's the difference between the knights of Ren and the Sith?
-What happened with the new republic?
-What's the resistence exactly? Why isn't it the New Republic's military?

More Lightsaber duels.

There's a whole group of knights of Ren, if Episode VIII uses them, then more lightsaber and force duels will be a must. I too hope the next films has more lightsaber battles, the ones in Force Awakens were alright, but i wouldn't mind the next films trying to be bolder, as long as they don't get over the top like Episode III's did.

DO:

Make Poe space John McClane. He's just a resistence pilot, just there to do his job, no one special and steps the **** up when he has to.

The films need to step it up with the sex and violence. Bring on the sensibilities of the various novels and select characters.

DO:

Make Poe space John McClane. He's just a resistence pilot, just there to do his job, no one special and steps the **** up when he has to.

But he is pretty special. He's the Resistance's Ace pilot, and he's a natural leader for all the other pilots. He's a natural leader as well. Not the reluctant aw shucks average joe hero.

I don't recall John McClane ever saying aw shucks and he seemed to lead a volatile situation pretty well.

What I want to see:

A good movie.

I don't have specific demands. I loved TFA, I hope Episode VIII can at least match it with whatever Rian Johnson decides to do.

I don't recall John McClane ever saying aw shucks and he seemed to lead a volatile situation pretty well.
Not really, Reginald VelJohnson was the only guy who would believe him. The CIA guys tried to go in guns blazing and nearly got a lot of the hostages killed.

Where are the giant robots? The movies so far have never had giant droids- whether good or bad.

That's a sequence I want to see in a future film.

Not really, Reginald VelJohnson was the only guy who would believe him. The CIA guys tried to go in guns blazing and nearly got a lot of the hostages killed.

Do you really want to play semantics with me? Because, if that's the case, they where FBI not CIA. So just stop this nonsense. McClane was more in charge of the situation than the people officially in charge, but he was still portrayed as an everyman. He wasn't the chosen one, he wasn't a Jedi, he was just really good at his damn job. That's what I want out of Poe Dameron.

Do you really want to play semantics with me? Because, if that's the case, they where FBI not CIA. So just stop this nonsense. McClane was more in charge of the situation than the people officially in charge, but he was still portrayed as an everyman. He wasn't the chosen one, he wasn't a Jedi, he was just really good at his damn job. That's what I want out of Poe Dameron.

Poe's parents were esteemed members of the Rebellion during and before the Battle of Endor, so I don't know if he would still classify as an everyman.

Poe's parents were esteemed members of the Rebellion during and before the Battle of Endor, so I don't know if he would still classify as an everyman.

That's the equivalent to John McClane's dad being a WWII hero or something like that, does it matter 30 years later? Poe is really good at his job and he's relatable, but he's not a superhero, I just want more of him being that kind of character.

I want things to get tougher for Rey in the second one. She was a natural in the first one because of how she grew up and possibly because of something to do with her mysterious origins, and that is fine with me but her road has to get tougher now or else the story gets stagnant.

I also hope those trials and tribulations will force her to involve and step up her game in a natural and organic way. Making and getting a dual light-saber staff that allows her to use the skills she already has with such a weapon would be a perfect way to go in this regard.

I also want Kylo Ren to step it up too, and have his character arc evolve the only way it makes sense and that he gets darker, more evil, and tougher and more dangerous than he was last time. His defeat at the hands of Rey should motivate him.

Speaking of Ren's story I want more flashbacks to when he was getting trained by Luke and more of his childhood and how he got seduced to the darkside. I am glad they didn't go too deep into that in the first one but we need to go more into it in the second one.

Speaking of going more into the backstory I hope we get to find out Rey's origin. I hope it complicates things.

I hope Luke is a little reluctant to get involved at first. Given what happened with Kylo Ren and the slaughter of his Jedi academy it would be logical that he feels a sense of failure. [BLACKOUT]Han's death at the hands of Ren[/BLACKOUT] will only increase that feeling of personal failure and uncertainty. I want his attempts to train Rey and get back into the game to not be easy.

In short, if TFA was ANH go for it in the second one and make it ESB. Take the main character arcs into a darker and deeper and more complicated direction and evolve things naturally and organically.

And more BB8 and Finn/Poe bromance.

Oh and actually DO something with Captain Plasma next time. She was fun for the screen time she had but what did she actually do in the movie aside from berating Finn for taking his Stormtrooper helmet off and then getting held at gun point and thrown into a trash compacter?

Last edited:
I really hope Rey and BB-8 have that kind of relationship that Luke and R2 had in the original trilogy. The scenes they shared in TFA was really heartwarming most of the time. Especially when Rey told BB-8 that he could come back with her. BB-8's reaction made me smile.

I really hope Rey and BB-8 have that kind of relationship that Luke and R2 had in the original trilogy. The scenes they shared in TFA was really heartwarming most of the time. Especially when Rey told BB-8 that he could come back with her. BB-8's reaction made me smile.

I wonder how they're going to handle that balance between BB-8 and R2. R2 just kind of became Luke's droid once Luke became an X-Wing pilot.

Whereas BB-8 and Poe already already have that close relationship and Poe has a need for him.

I'm sure Rey and BB-8 will have more 'moments' together though, but the "special" relationship is still between him and Poe I think. Just look how fast he came rolling over to him when they're reunited.

Rey leaving her training early to save Finn and Luke following her because "she's not ready". Then Luke getting put in carbonite by Kylo Ren, with Ren saying to Rey something like, "if it was good enough for my father, then it's good enough for yours." Ren and Rey fight again and Phasma is then responsible for delivering Carbonite Luke to Emperor Snoke, thus setting up Episode IX's rescue mission.

I wonder how they're going to handle that balance between BB-8 and R2. R2 just kind of became Luke's droid once Luke became an X-Wing pilot.

Whereas BB-8 and Poe already already have that close relationship and Poe has a need for him.

I'm sure Rey and BB-8 will have more 'moments' together though, but the "special" relationship is still between him and Poe I think. Just look how fast he came rolling over to him when they're reunited.

Yeah, that's what thing that went through my mind about BB-8 and Poe. I think Rey will have more of a friendship with Chewie down the road than BB-8. I loved that moment when Rey entered the Falcon at the end of the movie. Chewie gave her a look like "welcome aboard". The look on Rey's face was that of someone who knew she wasn't going to be alone anymore.

Please God no Anakin. That's really my only request. I never want to see Hayden Christiansen in any film I plan to watch sober.

I'd love a Hayden Force Ghost just so people get all worked up, but then have no choice but to calm down and deal with it as Rian Johnson's VIII proceeds to be amazing in spite of it.

A bit sadistic, I know. :O

As long as the Hayden force ghost has that creepy "I'm gonna f*** your girlfriend" face the whole time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"