What Were Your DISLIKES?

This annoyed me as well. I can understand the need for Abrams to push emotionalism but he's also creating a very immature crew. It's like they are a bunch of friends at the Academy instead of officers within a command structure.
Well they are an immature crew. They aren't very experienced and are still learning. Aren't they about 10 years younger than the versions we've seen in TOS?

Pretty much across the board, yeah. They're all basically recent graduates from Starfleet Academy. I think the only ones who come across as over 30, have to be Bones and Scotty.

Yes, I think you're right. Even though Bones went to school with Kirk at the same time, we already know that he was married and divorced, so he had to be a good 10 years older than him probably. And Scotty... well that's self-explanatory.

While I love the movie, two things stood out to me while watching it again last night.

One, when the Enterprise is knocked out of warp by the Vengeance, nobody mentions they are near Earth. Then, in the climax, they're falling into Earth's atmosphere out of nowhere.

Second, Khan is underused. Cumberbatch is fantastic, and great at showing how brutal Khan can be, but we don't get to see his great ruler side. Throwing in a Shakespeare quote during the climax would have been a nice nod to the original Khan.

Also, Khan didn't have a plot other than saving his crew. I feel like they set him up for a return in Star Trek 3. But with these rumors that he will be in the new Star Wars movie might mean that's not in the cards.

Another thing that always bugged me about these Abrams films,is the crew is way too familiar with each other while on duty.I mean,I think Scotty called Kirk "Jim" once in the whole original series plus 7 movies.And you have Uhura almost outright giving orders at some point.It just seems a bit off to me.They are not the disciplined crew that I've grown accustomed too.

Well, Scotty calls Kirk "Jim" only after he resigns. It's subtle, but it looks like it's a pointed choice to show how Scotty no longer has to answer to him. When he does it later in te movie, it's in the middle of chaos and he just hasn't returned to an official capacity.

But Uhura, she bugs me. She is way too familiar with Kirk. I miss the Kirk-Spock-McCoy dynamic.

What frustrated me was how, at the end of the first movie, you got the sense that the crew were free to forge their own unique destiny in this new movieverse.

Bringing back old characters and setting this story on Earth for me felt like it didn't have the guts to be its own movie. It's like redoing Waterworld and still having Kevin Costner :/

What frustrated me was how, at the end of the first movie, you got the sense that the crew were free to forge their own unique destiny in this new movieverse.

Bringing back old characters and setting this story on Earth for me felt like it didn't have the guts to be its own movie. It's like redoing Waterworld and still having Kevin Costner :/

Nailed it in one, Mr. Garbald... oops, wrong franchise, but at any rate :up::up:

Really liked the movie and thought it was the best Sci fi/ superhero movie of the year. But the one thing that bugged me and still bugs me is why the hell did the admiral put Khans crew in those torpedo tubes? Why not just kill them some where else? That whole plot point makes no sense except for kirk to discover that the admiral is a dirtbag.

Well they are an immature crew. They aren't very experienced and are still learning. Aren't they about 10 years younger than the versions we've seen in TOS?

But they are still Starfleet officers. They should act with more maturity than what we've seen thus far. I don't think acting more mature would lessen the drama, but it might make it better than some of the immature behavior exhibited by the Enterprise's crew.

Ring in the water glass explosion
What? Why the ring? Why put it in water? What made it explode?

I actually thought STID was an overrated film also.

The production design and closeups and lens flares were just head ache inducing. It was also kind of a turn off how Paramount and Abrams tried they're best to hide that Cumber was actually Khan, when it was widely known that Khan was the villain. El Mayimbe even reported it and they stilll tried to hide it.

They execution of Khan was hit and miss for me. Cumber did a good job, but I would have liked to have seen a more rugged looking Khan instead of robot looking Khan.

They makeup on the actors seemed all over the place as well. One seen Pines hair is blond and the other it looks orange....and Cumber looks human in one scene and then they powder him up so much to make him look like some vampire.

I also didn't like Orci, Kurtz and Abrams blatant plagiarism of WOK story of Spock dying and in this film reverse the roles with Kirk dying, using the exact dialogue from WOK in the "death scene".

Come on now!

It's funny how some in here seemed dead set against seeing Khan in this film at one point and now are praising it just because of Cumber? I confused....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"