What's The Last Movie You Watched? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 52

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Night Before

Some funny moments and overall not too bad
7/10

Maniac Cop 2 (1990)

Maniacop2pos1.jpg

Pretty solid follow up to the original and I was glad to see Bruce Campbell return despite his appearance being brief. This was well paced like the previous film and the new casting was good as well. The action scenes are bigger and at times they're pretty over-the-top. The special effects makeup Robert Z’Dar wears is more gruesome and there are plenty of bloody kills. The climax where he breaks into the prison where he was originally stabbed to death was epic especially when he gets set on fire and still manages to continue his killing spree. I'm definitely looking forward to the third and final installment in this series.

The Disaster Artist

Tommy Wiseau's 2003 film The Room,is definitely one of the best bad fims ever with it's terrible stiff acting and screenplay.I actually laughed when i found out James Franco was not only going to direct a film based on the making of The Room,but also star in it as Wiseau.
Franco is incredible as Wiseau,completely immersing himself in the role so much so i forgot i was watching Franco.
The supporting cast is also terrific Dave Franco as Greg Sestero, the line producer and actor who portrays "Mark"
also Wiseau'sfriend and cheerleader.
There's a who's who of celebrities throughout the film.It's funny ,inspiring and a joy to watch.
At it's core is a message about not giving up on your dreams,or goals in life even if how you reach the goal was not the way you intended to.

Scale of 1-10 a 10

Last Flag Flying

Last Flag Flying is about as sobering and moving as HBO'S Taking Chance another film with the theme of bringing the body of a fallen soldier home,though in Last Flag Flying there is a familial connection.
Larry "Doc" Shepherd (Steve Carell) tracks down Sal Nealon (Bryan Cranston)and Richard Mueller (Laurence Fishburne)
his fellow Marines and friends he served with in Vietnam to accompany him in bringing his son home.
All three leads are absolutely outstanding,i completely bought into them having history together.
The story laced with grief,humor and guilt was moving and then some thanks to the direction of Richard Linklater
and the chemistry between the three leads.
There was a scene that could have played out terribly but fortunately was handled with beautiful grace.
I found out a couple of facts about this film that enhanced my enjoyment of it.
One of the best of 2017

Scale of 1-10 a 10

The Shape of Water

Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water is part Beauty and The Beast,Splash with doses of Eroctica.
The tale of woman meets creature is shot beautifully and well paced and crafted.
del Toro blends themes from our modern climate of race relations and equality with themes of The Cold War,and a 60's horror/sci fi film.
Sally Hawkins is perfect as Elisa Esposito, a mute janitor at the facility in which the "Asset"(Doug Jones) is being held,Jones once again displays his graceful physical talents.
There are also good turns by Richard Jenkins ,Michael Stuhlbarg and Octavia Spencer
Michael Shannon displays all the right menace and intensity as the sadistic Colonel Richard Strickland, the man in charge of the creature research team but it felt like he was portraying the same characters he has portrayed in previous films and TV shows.
Del Toro' nails mostly all of what he goes for and puts on the screen with the exception of one scene that took me out of the film for a few minutes.
This is definitely one of my favorite Guillermo del Toro films

Scale of 1-10 an 8½

Lady Bird

Christine "Lady Bird" McPherson is a high school senior that yearns for more than what her Sacramento California town has to offer,there are obstacles that make her goals seem unattainable.
Saoirse Ronan is amazing in the title role,displaying all the right amounts of teenage angst and rebellion.
Director and writer Greta Gerwig sets up all the right highs and lows of life,touching on teenage crushes,first loves,disappointments,parental love and findings one place in the world.
The cast is outstanding including a nice turns by :Laurie Metcalf, Tracy Letts, Lucas Hedges, Timothée Chalamet, Beanie Feldstein
Stephen McKinley Henderson and Lois Smith
Though some of the mother and daughter battles ring true,there were parts of that relationship that had a been there done that feel to them.
Still this is one of the best coming of age films i have ever had the pleasure of watching.

Scale of 1-10 an 8½

the league of extraordinary gentlemen

Macbeth (1948) - Interesting Shakespeare effort from Welles. The black and white nature works to the films advantage as it has some killer lighting and cinematography. While it does feel stagey, it still has a lot of impressive sets as well, and good performances. Also despite complaints I understood the accents just fine. - 7.5 / 10

The A-Team - Extended Cut (2010)
Les femmes de l'ombre / Female Agents (2008)
The Nice Guys (2016)

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back