What's The Last Movie You Watched? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 51

Status
Not open for further replies.
euyuXur.jpg

lKwTAcn.jpg

MQcZZTV.jpg

n8GBzPG.jpg

YLTSSRt.jpg

Mama's Home is a shot on video horror movie which is also known as Captives.

The Return of the Living Dead
Macabre
Mario Bava's Shock
Fright Night II
Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest

A Ghost Story

Hard to get through the first 20 minutes but hell, the film won me over by the end. One of the best films of the year.

Street Trash (1987)

Streettrash.jpg

All the charm of a Troma movie this low budget b-movie splatter-fest makes some interesting commentary on poverty and the homeless while delivering some absolutely brutal death scenes with a utterly twisted sense of humor. The gross practical special effects makeups mostly hold up really well and a couple of them are actually pretty inventive for the time. The color palette they use for the gore really does make for some impressive visuals. There's way too much craziness in this film to even describe and often it will switch back and forth from very disturbing scares to ridiculous comedic segments. When a bodega owner finds a dusty crate of bottles hidden behind a wall he sells them cheap to the local vagrants. Unfortunately for them when they drink it they violently dissolve from the corrosive liquid. Those deaths are linked to a homeless veteran suffering PTSD hallucinations who brutally murders a passing motorist and generally terrorizes the junkyard homeless population. The cop investigating clashes with a hitman and mob boss whose girlfriend was left for dead in the junkyard but ends up getting killed himself. The main characters are two homeless brothers and a woman who works at the junkyard and befriends them. The film climaxes when they are confronted by the psychotic veteran. The end credits sequence is hilarious and actually made me want to find a copy of the soundtrack.

What Happened to Monday? - 5/10

The film doesn't really work for the most part, but it's such a bizarre mish-mash of tones and genre that it's oddly compelling. Noomi Rapace feels like she's acting for a different more serious film, and the identical sister thing feels more like a gimmick than a intricate part of the story, but she definitely elevates the thin material.

iWOSlJC.jpg

Birth of the Dragon

Surprisingly not as awful as I thought. The movie follows the early days of Bruce Lee's life in San Francisco and Wong Jack Man's challenge to him. Even though facially they look nothing a like, Philip Ng did a pretty decent job playing Bruce Lee. He was able to get a lot of his ticks and mannerisms down. However story wise, this is where the movie made a huge mistake. Turns out, you don't actually follow Bruce Lee the entire time. Apparently they had to shove in a white character as one of Bruce Lee's students as the main star instead. When it's not about Bruce Lee and Wong Jack Man, it's about the other guy and his love life and dealings with the Chinatown mob. The only thing worth seeing is the fight scenes with Bruce Lee and Wong Jack Man and their obvious homage to Enter The Dragon.
5/10

1Ekn4xk.jpg

Stronger

It's a true life survival movie that breaks out of the typical sympathetic drama mold and brought in something real and unforgiving. While the story deals with the Boston bombings, they made sure the focus was on characters and their struggles. I didn't even know David Gordon Green directed this until after the movie ended but it all made sense. The movie is a character study on the effects of a tragedy. Both Jake Gyllenhaal and Tatiana Maslany gave one hell of a performance especially when things get really rough. There's some other actors who come in who also give a great performance. I only have a minor complaint and it's towards the end where it suddenly becomes a bit too sentimental, to me it felt like it stuck out like a sore thumb. Overall though, it's an great actors movie.
9/10

hGN8Jpf.jpg

The Disaster Artist

Loved it. Much like Ed Wood and Man on the Moon, The Disaster Artist continues that comedy/drama bio pic tradition about very eccentric filmmakers and actors. As an obvious fan of The Room and a big fan of the book that this is based on... The movies does a great job on showing the behind the scenes of the one of the best worst movies of all time. What makes it great is they don't make it as joke or something where Franco and the gang just ad lib the entire movie. They make a conscious effort into giving Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero depth and focus on their relationship as partners in making this movie. I thought James Franco was the perfect person to play Tommy. While at first you can tell it's Franco putting on an act, you forget about that because the story is that damn interesting. The whole cast and cameos were also good. Because this is a movie, they can only fit so much without losing it's focus. I don't want to be that guy, but the book goes in way more in depth about the making of The Room and ugly side of Hollywood. Despite that, I'd say this movie does go above and beyond way more than what was originally expected when this movie was first announced. Also if you're watching the movie and are a fan of The Room, you need to stick around to the very end for a very special extra credit scene.
9.5/10

Home Alone - Saw this on the big screen for the first time at a local college. Was very fun. - 8 / 10

Lady Bird - 8.5 / 10

The Lincoln Lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe