Which villain(s) should the reboot start with?

I'm hoping for:
-Mr Freeze
-Riddler
-Hush
-Hugo Strange
-James Gordon Jr.
-Two Face
-The Court of Owls
-Penguin
-Black Mask
-Scarecrow
-Deadshot
-Joker (only if he is with Harley, to shake it up a bit after having lone Joker twice)
-Harley Quinn
-Mad Hatter

If they debut Joker as a minor 'Hannibal' role while locked up in Arkham, perhaps his shrink could also be another minor character who ends up succumbing to Joker's 'logic', and ends up playing a role in freeing him at the end (or after credits sequence) for the next (and perhaps final) movie, where Joker is the villain (with Harley by his side).

I'm curious to see how they'd do Harley on the big screen though, ya know, without making her annoying, unbelievable, and out of place. They have to justify why she's there. Perhaps the of the main focuses/premise of the movie can be regarding the joker's influence, and Harley can be used to best illustrate that. Perhaps in this set of movies, there will be Joker followers/emulators, etc. Harley is just the best example of that, having spent so much time digging around his brain.

anne_hathaway_harley_quinn_by_heatona-d55f6a4.jpg

tumblr_mdr2wtXPYC1rt6k7zo1_400.jpg

christina_ricci_old_concept_by_donvega123-d36qxzn.jpg

tumblr_mb8n1em8Ez1rg04myo1_500.jpg

I would like to see crime boss character that bridges the gap between Mob and Freaks, with that being a big theme in the story. Someone like Black Mask, Two Face, or even Penguin. Then villains like Killer Croc and Firefly could be used as hired muscle.

In a sequel I definitely want to see Hugo Strange, and you could do a lot of villain cameos with him working in Arkham.

I could also see Clayface getting some play in a corporate espionage kind of scenario. Not as the Big Bad, but maybe a B plot villain.

Film 1: Penguin, Black Mask and Riddler developing as a disgruntled detective.

Film 2: Riddler is the full-on villain; Black Mask has overtaken Penguin's empire and is going to war with Killer Croc for weapons running routes through Gotham's abandoned subway tunnels.

Film 3: Killer Croc, defeated by Black Mask's forces, finds assistance in the form of a large drugged-out looking heavy named Solomon Grundy. Grundy offers them a drug that will allow them to instant heal themselves; making them nigh invulnerable to gunfire. At the end we learn that Grundy works for Poison Ivy, head of a South American drug cartel.

Film 4: Ripples in Gotham's underworld have corporate heads with ties to the underworld worried. Enter Clayface, for corporate espionage on behalf of one of the businessmen, sent to expose Roman Sionis's ties to the underworld.

Batman is in there too. This is the sort of steady escalation I want to see.

The Riddler. We need to see him at his deadliest with the death traps and so on. If there needs to be a secondary villain, then use Deathstroke. THAT would make one hell of a Batman film.

If they debut Joker as a minor 'Hannibal' role while locked up in Arkham, perhaps his shrink could also be another minor character who ends up succumbing to Joker's 'logic', and ends up playing a role in freeing him at the end (or after credits sequence) for the next (and perhaps final) movie, where Joker is the villain (with Harley by his side).

I'm curious to see how they'd do Harley on the big screen though, ya know, without making her annoying, unbelievable, and out of place. They have to justify why she's there. Perhaps the of the main focuses/premise of the movie can be regarding the joker's influence, and Harley can be used to best illustrate that. Perhaps in this set of movies, there will be Joker followers/emulators, etc. Harley is just the best example of that, having spent so much time digging around his brain.

anne_hathaway_harley_quinn_by_heatona-d55f6a4.jpg

tumblr_mdr2wtXPYC1rt6k7zo1_400.jpg

christina_ricci_old_concept_by_donvega123-d36qxzn.jpg

tumblr_mb8n1em8Ez1rg04myo1_500.jpg
is that anne hathaway in the first picture ?

that's ....highly ironic.

is that anne hathaway in the first picture ?

that's ....highly ironic.

I thought it was Melanie Laurent at first, but yeah, that's Hathaway

I just put it there because I think that picture does a good job of showing how Harley's obsession/infatuation with Joker could translate to screen through the details of real actors. Her eyes are so absorbed in Joker, in almost a crazy way (not unlike the way that little girls see Justin Bieber or something). There's almost nothing behind them except a reflection of infatuation. There's no 'subject' in those eyes, only a reflection of an 'object'.

I'm honestly not too interested in The Riddler. 8/10 times he comes off as Joker rip off. I'd love a downright horrifying Killer Croc and a serious Freeze. I'd also like Black Mask. I think Harvey Dent should be sort of a smaller character in a few films and then have a film with Two-Face as the main villain(he's great in TDK, but he's certainly not the main villain). Also, it would be dangerous because you don't want him stealing the show in every film, but I love the idea of Joker having a small part in a few of the earlier films and slowly build up to an epic film with The Joker as the main villain, perhaps killing off the Robin of the series?

Mother of god. Imagine how good a Harley Quinn role would be for someone like Christina Ricci?

HUGO STRANGE

Definitely. So keen to see him on film.

Also keen for Riddler, Black Mask, Poison Ivy, Hush, Freeze and Penguin...

I think it would be cool to have a real hard action tone (with some great fight choreography for once) and have a new crime boss character (preferably Black Mask, but again, it could Penguin, or even Scarface) decide to consolidate power by very publicly removing the Batman from the equation, and putting up a ridiculous bounty. Then all these crazy assassins and mercs come out of the woodwork to take on Batman. You could do Deadshot, Lady Shiva, David Caine (maybe hint at a past rivalry between him and Bruce), even Deathstroke. Some would be in it for the money, some for the challenge, some with a personal interest. IT would make for a totally different, totally badass Batman film.

A Riddler will have to be perfectly written.

But honestly, he would be more fitted for a second or third film once Batman becomes more established.

I would personally prefer to see the Batman movies from now on be liked the stories in the comics. Have there be multiple villains already established and have multiple villains appear in one movie in either minor or major roles. I think the Rocksteady Batman games are the best example of this being done outside the comics. You had most of the villains established already - some were major villains in the story (Joker, Harley Quinn, Hugo Strange, Ra's al Ghul) while others were still there but in minor roles (Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, etc.).

Regardless of what villains they use in the next franchise, the Joker has to be one of them. You simply cannot have an ongoing franchise without the Joker. Not every movie has to have him but he does need to be in the franchise overall.

At this point, most of the Batman essential villains have been used. For a quick rundown, the movie villains we've had so far:

The Joker
The Penguin
Catwoman (technically counts as a villain)
Two-Face
The Riddler
Poison Ivy
Mr. Freeze
Bane
Zsasz
Scarecrow
Ra's al Ghul
Talia al Ghul

The problem with this list is that a lot of the villains here were either done poorly, were a radical departure from the comics, or just had cameo appearances (in the case of Zsasz) and those shouldn't really count as being used IMO. In the case of poorly done villains like Mr Freeze and Poison Ivy or villains like the Penguin which were completely different from the comics, I don't think people will complain that it's redundant to reuse them in the reboot (same thing applies for characters that only had cameo appearances like Zsasz).

If Harley Quinn is in a future movie, I hope they make her costume like the one in the Arkham City game.

Mr. Freeze.
I'm honestly not too interested in The Riddler. 8/10 times he comes off as Joker rip off. I'd love a downright horrifying Killer Croc and a serious Freeze. I'd also like Black Mask. I think Harvey Dent should be sort of a smaller character in a few films and then have a film with Two-Face as the main villain(he's great in TDK, but he's certainly not the main villain). Also, it would be dangerous because you don't want him stealing the show in every film, but I love the idea of Joker having a small part in a few of the earlier films and slowly build up to an epic film with The Joker as the main villain, perhaps killing off the Robin of the series?
I'm with you. If they gave Mr. Freeze a proper interpretation, I'll believe WB can pull off the fantastical elements of the mythos without going campy or light.

Last edited:
I'm torn between a brilliant detective thriller featuring the Riddler and/or Clayface and a film featuring Hugo Strange's obsession with Batman leading him to physically remolding himself into a twisted version of the Dark Knight. In a twist from the comics,after discovering that Batman is Bruce Wayne,Strange has Thomas Elliot perform plastic surgery on him to look like Bruce Wayne in a cliffhanger.

My key interests are Hugo Strange, The Riddler, the Court of Owls, more Scarecrow, more Two-Face, and more Catwoman.

Wouldn't mind seeing an emotional take on Clayface, Mr. Freeze, or a non-corny take on Poison Ivy.

I also think there's a lot of really deep room to explore the Joker more.

Eugh... The Court of Owls, such wasted potential. Personally, I'd like to see:

Film 1 (loosely adapted from Under The Hood):
Jason Todd (Primary)
The Penguin (Secondary)
Joker (Tertiary- no more than 20 minutes screentime)
Introduce Simon Hurt in a cameo

Film 2 (Loosely adapted from Hush):
Hush (Primary)
Riddler (Secondary)
Catwoman (Love interest/tertiary)
Increased role for Simon Hurt as Bruce's psychologist

Film 3 (based on RIP):
Doctor Hurt (Primary)
The Black Glove (Secondary)
Joker (Tertiary)

Over the course of the first two films, Simon Hurt would be introduced as a psychologist working for the GCPD, after Gordon recommends him jokingly to Batman.
Bruce begins to make appointments as Jason's return is on the anniversary of his death and in the sequel Bruce needs to deal with the death of his friend, this left him vulnerable to Hurt, the ultimate villain of the series.

Hugo Strange would be an interesting choice this go around. And I would LOVE to see Christoph Waltz play him

I think Hugo Strange would be better off as a sequel villain rather than in the first movie. He has potential to be a very grand-scale antagonist on the same level of Bane in TDKR - in fact, I bought into the Hugo Strange rumors before Bane was confirmed, and I believe that if Bane weren't the villain, Strange would be the next best choice to end the trilogy on a huge climax.

Christoph Waltz is a fantastic choice, by the way.

I think it would be cool to have a real hard action tone (with some great fight choreography for once) and have a new crime boss character (preferably Black Mask, but again, it could Penguin, or even Scarface) decide to consolidate power by very publicly removing the Batman from the equation, and putting up a ridiculous bounty. Then all these crazy assassins and mercs come out of the woodwork to take on Batman. You could do Deadshot, Lady Shiva, David Caine (maybe hint at a past rivalry between him and Bruce), even Deathstroke. Some would be in it for the money, some for the challenge, some with a personal interest. IT would make for a totally different, totally badass Batman film.
Yo, where the **** did your avatar come from?

I would do a villain who would really appeal to people's thoughts of the worst offenders of crime at the moment. Interpret that into film.

We seem to be affected by rising gun crime at the minute. Black Mask fits that criteria. But in years it could be an increase of bath salt cannibalism acts! So Killer Croc there then lol

Hugo Strange would be an interesting choice this go around. And I would LOVE to see Christoph Waltz play him

Holy crap. That casting rules! Wow, now I really want to see Strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"