Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good suggestions, one and all. I'll try outside the box a little:

espnw_bodyissue_02_zpsf59bbe43.jpg

Ronda Rousey's definitely got the body for Carol, as well as the ass-kicking attitude and name recognition. The fight scenes would be a lot more authentic than anything Hollywood could choreograph. Plus, she looks like an actual hardcore fighter instead of a Hollywood starlet, which I think is a major plus for making an authentic "girl power" Carol Danvers.

I don't want Ronda Rousey as Carol. She's not enough of an actress and too much of a fighter. I see she's a smoothie though.

I definitely prefer acting talent over "appearances". The actress will do what needs to be done, physically and mentally, to prep for the role.

Emily Blunt.

Marvel wanted her for Black Widow and it didn't work out. They should aim to get her for Captain Marvel who would also be a great fit for the actor.

Whoever they choose, I hope it is a somewhat old actor and not someone who could pass for a teenager. I want someone who can convey a sense of experience and knowledge in their performance. Carol Danvers shouldn't be a green recruit, but a decorated officer who has had both positive and negative experiences serving in the armed forces. At the same time, the actor shouldn't be afraid to portray a sense of wonder, excitement and adventure in Carol Danvers embracing her role as a hero.

So here's an opinion and a question that stem from nothing but sheer ignorance:

As someone who has never watched anything Riddick post-Pitch Black or anything Battlestar Galactica post-Dirk Benedict, none of the images that I see of Katee Sackhoff make me think "leading lady" or "Hollywood star." Again, I'm pretty much ignorant of her body of work, so I was just wondering if the general consensus is that she's such a good actress that she could not only carry this film but also go toe-to-toe and steal scenes with the likes of Robert Downey Jr, Chris Pratt, Chris Evans, etc?

Please don't take this as an attack or insult. I'm asking out of a genuine curiosity.

Blunt's my favorite for the role as well. She was on my list for a while, but after seeing Edge of Tomorrow, she pretty much shot straight to the top. I also think she's a much more realistic possibility than the TV actresses that are constantly being brought up (even if I agree some of them would be great in the role).

Rosamund Pike also seems like a good and realistic option, but like many, she may be a bit on the older side (for Marvel, not for me) by time this movie comes around.

Last edited:
If she was not already Mockingbird, I'd say Adrianne Palicki would fit the bill.

Whoever it is needs to a "statuesque" type. Of the actresses listed, I think Amber Heard and especially Charlize Theron match that.

As someone who has never watched anything Riddick post-Pitch Black or anything Battlestar Galactica post-Dirk Benedict, none of the images that I see of Katee Sackhoff make me think "leading lady" or "Hollywood star." Again, I'm pretty much ignorant of her body of work, so I was just wondering if the general consensus is that she's such a good actress that she could not only carry this film but also go toe-to-toe and steal scenes with the likes of Robert Downey Jr, Chris Pratt, Chris Evans, etc?

Please don't take this as an attack or insult. I'm asking out of a genuine curiosity.

I really liked her on BSG, but I agree. I just don't know if she could carry a film like this as a leading lady.

I think the reason so many people want her for this is that she displayed a lot of swagger and charisma in BSG, and was not only believable as a badass hot shot pilot and a "just one of the guys" type, but she also had some seriously dramatic material to work with that she completely knocked out of the park. It felt like a star-making performance when watching it, imo. And it just so happened to be as a character similar to Carol (albeit with more darkness/angst).

That said, while she's been good in other things since (especially Longmire), I'm not sure I get the "Hollywood Leading Lady" vibe from her, either. Just because both physically and persona-wise, she isn't what it seems like Hollywood is usually looking for in its leading ladies, at least for mainstream blockbusters. I'd certainly be on board if she were cast, but I just don't feel like it's very likely.

Now with a poll!
Multiple votes allowed!

If she was not already Mockingbird, I'd say Adrianne Palicki would fit the bill.

Whoever it is needs to a "statuesque" type. Of the actresses listed, I think Amber Heard and especially Charlize Theron match that.

She would've been good, and it would've been a nod to Wonder Woman. Marvel obviously wanted to use her before though.

You put Amber Heard on there twice. :p

Will I be banished from the site if I add Kate Hudson to the suggested pile?

Emily blunt, Rosamund pike, Charlie thereon, Jessica chastain, are probably the most realistic names on the list. Specifically Chastain and blunt have expressed interest in portraying superhero.

Emily Blunt just seems so perfect to me I feel like she looks a lot like David Lopez' Carol.

Surprised she hasn't been mentioned here yet: Abbie Cornish. Despite people's opinion on the film itself, she undeniably kicked major butt in Sucker Punch.

Taylor Schilling, 30

- Right now she's enjoying popularity and success on Netflix's Orange is the New Black. Who knows how long that show will last, or how her career will take shape afterwards, but as of now, she seems like a prime candidate--one who Marvel can scoop up for multiple films.
Taylor-Schilling-Peter-Pilotto-2014-Glamour-Women-Year-Awards-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-TLO-5.jpg

Emily Blunt, 31

- Blunt's resume pretty much speaks for itself. She's got the talent and the edge as seen in Edge of Tomorrow / Live.Die.Repeat. She'd be a great choice, for sure, and her star power seems to only be growing.
emily-blunt-looper-600.jpg

I don't really have a want for Carol, just someone who will do really good! But I'm not going to lie I'd go nuts for Blunt and Strahovski.

I personally want Abby Elliott...

abby-elliott-at-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-premiere-in-westwood_1.jpg

Last edited:
Margot Robbie all the way! That woman can act! She's so perrfffeeeccttt!!!! She's so perrffeeeeccccttttt!!!! I don't care if she ends up getting Harley Quinn - people have played multiple characters before. :)

NEmXEiLTxHkgqq_1_2.jpg

MsMarvel.jpg

Margot Robbie really is an incredible actress. I don't suuuuper see as Carol, but if Marvel announced tomorrow that they cast her, I wouldn't be disappointed in the least.

I feel like Emily Blunt, though, should still be considered the odds-on favorite to get the role, until we hear some reason to believe otherwise. She's proven her action credentials in Edge of Tomorrow, we know she's a stellar actress, but she hasn't had the kind of breakout role that would make her prohibitively expensive yet, and the only reason Marvel DIDN'T get her for Black Widow before was her contractual obligation to Gulliver's Travels.

Anything is possible, but I would be shocked if she isn't the first person Marvel talks to.

P.S.
I wouldn't be worried about Emily Blunt's hair. No one seems to talk about it, but Marvel has one of the best damn hairstyling teams in Hollywood. Look at pretty much any actor with a major role in a Marvel film, and you can see that the best their hair has ever looked is on a Marvel film. (Prime examples: Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Chris Pratt, Chris Hemsworth, Hayley Atwell)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"