Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel?

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Tymminator, Oct 29, 2014.

?

Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel?

1. Katheryn Winnick

2. Jessica Chastain

3. Emily Blunt

4. Katee Sackhoff

5. Natalie Dormer

6. Yvonne Strahovski

7. Amber Heard

8. Romola Garai

9. Kate Winslet

10. Brie Larson

11. Rosamund Pike

12. Charlize Theron

13. Alice Eve

14. Margot Robbie

15. Teresa Palmer

16. Julia Benson

17. Elisha Cuthbert

18. Ronda Rousey

19. Gina Carano

20. Kate Hudson

21. Katheryn Winnick

22. Jessica Chastain

23. Emily Blunt

24. Katee Sackhoff

25. Natalie Dormer

26. Yvonne Strahovski

27. Amber Heard

28. Romola Garai

29. Kate Winslet

30. Brie Larson

31. Rosamund Pike

32. Charlize Theron

33. Alice Eve

34. Margot Robbie

35. Teresa Palmer

36. Julia Benson

37. Elisha Cuthbert

38. Ronda Rousey

39. Gina Carano

40. Kate Hudson

41. Katheryn Winnick

42. Jessica Chastain

43. Emily Blunt

44. Katee Sackhoff

45. Natalie Dormer

46. Yvonne Strahovski

47. Amber Heard

48. Romola Garai

49. Kate Winslet

50. Brie Larson

51. Rosamund Pike

52. Charlize Theron

53. Alice Eve

54. Margot Robbie

55. Teresa Palmer

56. Julia Benson

57. Elisha Cuthbert

58. Ronda Rousey

59. Gina Carano

60. Kate Hudson

61. Katheryn Winnick

62. Jessica Chastain

63. Emily Blunt

64. Katee Sackhoff

65. Natalie Dormer

66. Yvonne Strahovski

67. Amber Heard

68. Romola Garai

69. Kate Winslet

70. Brie Larson

71. Rosamund Pike

72. Charlize Theron

73. Alice Eve

74. Margot Robbie

75. Teresa Palmer

76. Julia Benson

77. Elisha Cuthbert

78. Ronda Rousey

79. Gina Carano

80. Kate Hudson

81. Katheryn Winnick

82. Jessica Chastain

83. Emily Blunt

84. Katee Sackhoff

85. Natalie Dormer

86. Yvonne Strahovski

87. Amber Heard

88. Romola Garai

89. Kate Winslet

90. Brie Larson

91. Rosamund Pike

92. Charlize Theron

93. Alice Eve

94. Margot Robbie

95. Teresa Palmer

96. Julia Benson

97. Elisha Cuthbert

98. Ronda Rousey

99. Gina Carano

100. Kate Hudson

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harryoscop

harryoscop Registered

As do prosthetics and CGI :cwink:

2. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Registered

Marvel hasn't used prosthetics and CGI for any other normal human character why would they use that for Captain Marvel?

3. chronos

chronos Registered

I think Emily Blunt is a really good actress, but I'd rather see her as Medusa in the Inhumans than as Carol. That said, if she were to be cast as Cap Marvel, I wouldn't be upset in the least.

4. harryoscop

harryoscop Registered

It was a joke :oldrazz:
    But in all seriousness, I have a feeling Blunt will get the role, so I'm trying to warm up to her.

5. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

I hadnt thought of that, but she'd make for a good Medusa as well

6. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

She'd be a good Medusa but I'd prefer she got the bigger role.

7. smashmode

smashmode House Stark

She was at first, but as the movie progressed she became less so, which I think was natural .

8. smashmode

smashmode House Stark

Thats okay, that is what the Doctor Strange casting threads turned into.

9. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Registered

Fair enough.

I don't have any issue with one not liking the idea of her being cast. At the end of the day even if I side eye an actor that has snagged a role what matters to me is the performance in front of my face. Even if I hated the choice on paper or in trailers, if the performance I see while watching the entire film is good then I'm fine, I won't deny a good performance. It took me years to get to that simple truth of casting. Even if you hate the casting on paper do not let that cloud your judgement of the actual performance.

And sometimes actors grow into their roles and get better direction and material to work with. I'm still not as in love with Johansson as Black Widow (or Black Widow period) as everyone else but I think she has grown into the role decently (I've only cared for her in Cap 2) and I think she's had better material to work with.

I've already said I would be cool with Blunt but I'm not stanning for her to the degree a lot of other folk on here do. I just never do with over mentioned suggestions.

#959 I SEE SPIDEY, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  10. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I think Blunt in the role of BW would've been amazing and absolutely perfect. I still think it's a huge missed opportunity. As such, I don't really like the idea of seeing what I consider the best candidate for Widow playing Carol alongside Johansson.

11. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I can see all of that. The thing that maybe some people aren't really considering is that it's going to take a REALLY strong actor to pull this part off. While I'm not saying there haven't been women in lead action roles, the pickings are pretty slim. Maybe they should cast Jennifer Lawrence (before you blow a gasket, I'm joking.... :oldrazz:). As I look through this list, I don't see a lot of people who are really top tier actors (maybe I should turn it around and say "I see a lot of people I don't think are top tier actors"). I'd like to be proven wrong, but that's how I see it.

If we get someone who can just nail this part and has a kick ass script, this movie could be a bit of a game changer. BW is NOT a lead character (though she's an important one to be sure) and neither is SW. If Marvel doesn't pull this one off, it could be a big setback. There was a lot of talk about GotG being "risky"; ditto for Ant-Man. This movie, to me, almost defines "risky".

PS I lied about staying off the thread, but at least I wasn't shopping Emily. :cwink:

12. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Registered

@Dark Raven, I too think it would be kinda weird seeing would be Black Widow as Captain Marvel. I mean I'm not opposed, it would just be odd to me. I think Johansson is fine but I've never hidden that I think Blunt would have been better.

Funny enough although I agree that ideally a woman 30 and over would get the role my top choice is Brie Larson. Yes she is really too young (even in 2017, when it will be filmed) but I just think she'd kill it enough to where most wouldn't care. I think Larson can be strong, tough but likable. I think she's really talented.

I think that there are plenty of talented female actors who could lead action adventure/sci fi films, Hollywood just rarely makes those films and rarely makes them decent, that's why the pickings are slim. Elektra, Catwoman and Supergirl weren't poor films because they were starring women who couldn't lead a big film, they were poor films because of terrible scripts, clueless directors and studios. Those films spent too much time trying to make their heroes look sexy and cute (and motherly in Elektra's case) and not enough time trying to make an actual watchable film. All Marvel has to do is use their Marvel movie formula except the film is starring a woman and blam it will be successful.

13. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

I'd really like to see a shortlist soon. It should hopefully* give us an idea on what type to actresses they're looking at in terms of age group and/or star status.

*I say hopefully because for all I know the shortlist could be all over the place. I'd like something like the shortlist we got for Catwoman in TDKR where it gave us an idea that they were looking for actresses in the late 20's group as opposed to the mid to late 30s that I was initially hoping for.

14. MahvelBaby!

MahvelBaby! Registered

Emily is my first choice, I hope my first choice good mojo wasn't wasted on Cumberbatch as DS, I had to use it because DS is closer. :p

15. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Registered

Brie Larson's pretty young but she'd be great. I could actually see them going for her.

16. jaymes_e06

jaymes_e06 Registered

Katee or Emily.

17. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

18. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I don't think Katee has the chops. If she's cast in the role, I hope I'm wrong.

Saw Another Earth and thought she was pretty damn good. Whether or not she could pull this off, I don't know. I think that would be a BIG step up. If someone isn't given a chance, they don't have room to grow. There's a lot of time left before casting and maybe someone will make a giant leap. Here's to hoping so.

I frankly am not that familiar with the work of all of the women on this list so I could be completely off base.

19. fixxxer

fixxxer ...goes to 11

Nicely done! I really liked her performances in The East, which I saw quite recently, and Arbitrage, which I think I saw a couple of years back. I really think you're on to something there.

Anyone who plays Carol absolutely needs to hit these emotional beats... in descending order: Strength, Vulnerability, Depth.

Marling hammers those marks. And then some.

20. smashmode

smashmode House Stark

I think recently the fancasting has been pretty spot on (Cumberbatch/Boseman).

21. chronos

chronos Registered

It's so hard to nail down the Marvel casting process. Sometimes it seems they go for the fancast favorites like these, but they are also really good at picking diamonds in the rough. Who would have thought that Chris Pratt would be a ripped leading man action star? The only thing we can probably say is that it'll end up being spot on for their universe. Could be a well known name like Blunt or Chastain, or could be more of an underdog choice like Winnick.

22. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Really liked those choices and the thing they both have in common is that they are very, VERY skilled actors. We're talking Academy Awards level skilled. I don't see a whole lot of that in our list though there are a few. I don't think this will be an easy role to cast. Of those on the list (and am familiar with), I think the best actors are:

Blunt
    Chastain
    Theron
    Winslet
    and maybe throw in Pike and Dormer

I'm not that familiar with Winnick's work, but that mug....whew!!!

I'm not saying they all fit the mold, but they are fine actors and this role is going to need one of those.

Like most of you, I'll trust Marvel as their track record has been pretty spot on.....even with the relative newbies (Like Hemsworth). Ruffalo as The Hulk was inspired (IMO).

23. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

It could be premature, but Emily Blunt's recent comments seem pretty coy, and actually remind me of the remarks Benedict Cumberbatch was making around this stage in the Doctor Strange casting process.

24. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Interesting. It does seem like she knows more than she let on at first......oh yeah, my brother told me about it this morning. And then later.....let's call Kevin Feige. Not sure if that's the interview you're talking about, but it does seem like she's playing a little bit of a game.

http://screencrush.com/emily-blunt-captain-marvel/

And WAS offered the role of Black Widow, so she's "definitely" on Marvel's radar. It might turn out to be a good thing for her that she turned the part down.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/ne...ered-captain-marvel-role.html#~oZWVFDlMhM7vBW

25. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

^That's not the only recent interview where she talked about it, either. Here's one from Vulture:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/12/emily-blunt-into-the-woods-interview.html

I'm sure it's just wishful thinking, but I could definitely see these answers as "playing coy" as well, haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.