Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel?

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Tymminator, Oct 29, 2014.

?

Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel?

1. Katheryn Winnick

2. Jessica Chastain

3. Emily Blunt

4. Katee Sackhoff

5. Natalie Dormer

6. Yvonne Strahovski

7. Amber Heard

8. Romola Garai

9. Kate Winslet

10. Brie Larson

11. Rosamund Pike

12. Charlize Theron

13. Alice Eve

14. Margot Robbie

15. Teresa Palmer

16. Julia Benson

17. Elisha Cuthbert

18. Ronda Rousey

19. Gina Carano

20. Kate Hudson

21. Katheryn Winnick

22. Jessica Chastain

23. Emily Blunt

24. Katee Sackhoff

25. Natalie Dormer

26. Yvonne Strahovski

27. Amber Heard

28. Romola Garai

29. Kate Winslet

30. Brie Larson

31. Rosamund Pike

32. Charlize Theron

33. Alice Eve

34. Margot Robbie

35. Teresa Palmer

36. Julia Benson

37. Elisha Cuthbert

38. Ronda Rousey

39. Gina Carano

40. Kate Hudson

41. Katheryn Winnick

42. Jessica Chastain

43. Emily Blunt

44. Katee Sackhoff

45. Natalie Dormer

46. Yvonne Strahovski

47. Amber Heard

48. Romola Garai

49. Kate Winslet

50. Brie Larson

51. Rosamund Pike

52. Charlize Theron

53. Alice Eve

54. Margot Robbie

55. Teresa Palmer

56. Julia Benson

57. Elisha Cuthbert

58. Ronda Rousey

59. Gina Carano

60. Kate Hudson

61. Katheryn Winnick

62. Jessica Chastain

63. Emily Blunt

64. Katee Sackhoff

65. Natalie Dormer

66. Yvonne Strahovski

67. Amber Heard

68. Romola Garai

69. Kate Winslet

70. Brie Larson

71. Rosamund Pike

72. Charlize Theron

73. Alice Eve

74. Margot Robbie

75. Teresa Palmer

76. Julia Benson

77. Elisha Cuthbert

78. Ronda Rousey

79. Gina Carano

80. Kate Hudson

81. Katheryn Winnick

82. Jessica Chastain

83. Emily Blunt

84. Katee Sackhoff

85. Natalie Dormer

86. Yvonne Strahovski

87. Amber Heard

88. Romola Garai

89. Kate Winslet

90. Brie Larson

91. Rosamund Pike

92. Charlize Theron

93. Alice Eve

94. Margot Robbie

95. Teresa Palmer

96. Julia Benson

97. Elisha Cuthbert

98. Ronda Rousey

99. Gina Carano

100. Kate Hudson

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whiskey Tango Registered

Not a good enough reason on it's own.

2. Havok83 Registered

Im opposite as I dont view Carol as warm and approachable. I think someone that plays her needs to be a bit hard and cold, while still having charisma. I think Blunt can. With her military background, I think being tough and commanding respect with her presence are qualities an actress also needs to have and I saw that in Edge of Tomorrow with Blunt

thats what makeup and styling is for. If given the role, she will be transformed into the image of what Carol should resemble

3. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

There is a severe lack of Michelle Monaghan love around here.

4. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Just out of curiosity, did it put a damper on The Avengers for you when they put Samuel Jackson in the role of Nick Fury? I know Jackson is commonly mistaken for being a stocky, muscular white dude when he's walking down the street, but he doesn't "quite" look like the Fury I remember.

While I was (clearly) being facetious in the above, it does bring up a point we've all probably discussed at one time or another in these forums. "Does someone have to bear a striking resemblance to the comic book character when making a movie?" If the answer is "yes", then I think we've put up some creative limitations that don't have to be there. Ultimately, when it comes to comic book movies, we want to see a movie that is entertaining and has some connection to the comics.

Now, if they were considering Michael Chiklis for the role, I'd probably balk. Emily Blunt?? Very pleasing to look at (with brown, red, blonde, or blue hair), a buffed out, tough character in "Edge of Tomorrow", someone who has become a really fine actor over the years, has shown solid box office appeal, and is hot property right now (the latter three probably being important to many at Marvel). I daresay, she looks much more like Carol Danvers than Samuel Jackson looked like Nick Fury (thought he did a great job by the way). Marvel can (and will) have makeup artists working on cultivating the particular image they have in mind. IMO acting is WAY more important than looks. You can futz around with how someone looks on camera, but you can't turn someone into Meryl Streep overnight (and please don't say she's a lousy actor....).

Bottom line, if it's Emily Blunt, I'll pay; maybe twice if it's in the same league as GotG. Hell, I'll probably pay no matter what (as long as it's not Chiklis :woot: ), but I'm a sick, Marvel freak and not your average moviegoer.

#929 InCali, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  5. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Did you check out "Edge of Tomorrow"?

6. Havok83 Registered

Nick Fury is the worst example you could have possibly used considering SLJ looks exactly like him

[​IMG]

7. harryoscop Registered

I want either Yvoone Strahovski:
    [​IMG]
    or
    Michelle Monaghan
    [​IMG]

Carol from the comics
    [​IMG]

Oh, and for those saying "hurr, durrr, they can fix her up, hurr durr they'll make her look the part!" um.. wrong!

here's a pic of Blunt as a blonde:
    [​IMG]

Unless they apply some prosthetics to her jaw and chin, I don't see her looking the part at all.

8. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Someone I've been thinking about who hasn't been mentioned (as far as I know) is Marion Cotillard. She's a much better actor than most on this list. I'm thinking that we're too influenced by our own preconceived ideas when it comes to casting. Methinks those folks have a really hard job. Monaghan is an interesting idea. Good actor for sure. I can see a few of those on the list in the role. Theron is another and maybe Dormer too. All bring something a little bit different to the table.

9. Havok83 Registered

She looks fine to me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

That's funny. The Nick Fury I was talking about was the one from the comics circa 1960s. I stopped reading the comics before the new one (son??) evidently appeared. How did they coincidentally both lose use of the same eye? :huh:

Edit: Never mind. Read Wiki. Do our comics sometimes sound like soaps or what???

11. harryoscop Registered

Okay, I will admit the photo you posted of her from Edge of Tomorrow, does look Captain Marvel-esque.
    If Marvel can make her look like "The Hero" in promotional materials, then I think i can get behind this casting.

12. Havok83 Registered

Thats not the son. This is Ultimate Nick Fury, who's been around since 2001. He predates the films and was clearly the inspiration for the Nick Fury casting of SLJ with 2008's Iron Man which isnt too surprising since the MCU takes heavy influence from the Ultimate line

Trust me, I was like you, but Im a believer now

13. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Yeah. Anyone (pro or con) can take a shot as an example of why someone should/shouldn't be cast in a role. As others have stated, on screen looks can be changed dramatically.

14. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

That's why I put ??? after son. Anyway, thanks for the clarification. Until now, I thought SLJ was an inspired choice to portray the original Nick Fury. Man, all of those guys need to learn how to duck when there's $#!t flying at their eye..... :woot:

15. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

Was there actually just a discussion about a real woman not looking enough like a fictional character, one whom has been illustrated differently by innumerable different artists over 40 years and has no actual "look" considering it all comes from the mind and hand of the artists, not a "person" who actually "looks like" something...?

:facepalm:

16. harryoscop Registered

Long story short, yes.

17. moped Registered

Yeap, but she was standoffish there , was she not?

18. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Not entirely. Emily Blunt has turned out to be (IMO) a very fine actor with a lot of range. I think she showed that off in Edge of Tomorrow. In the early part of the movie, her focus made her appear rather standoffish (or walled off from others). In the later parts of the movie, you see an entirely different side of her. Very engaged (but still focused as well she needed to be) and the walls she built up for her own protection start to crumble. Remember?? "Rose" was her middle name.

19. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Edit: Hey, what can I say? I guess we're ALL bored.

I know. That's funny. Huh? My take is that the people who are involved in making this movie will decide what someone's look and persona will be reflected on screen. They'll want to stay somewhat on course (as I said before, I don't think Michael Chiklis will get the part), but I'm all for giving these people the artistic license they deserve and trusting their judgement. Hopefully, we'll all be the happier for it.

Most importantly, I think we need a good actor as I can see this being a very difficult movie to carry; especially for a woman. By this, I mean that the leading role in virtually all highly successful superhero movies has been played by a male and the public, not unexpectedly, tends to fall into stereotyping superheros as such. A breakout performance here can change the landscape in a big way; and I hope it does. That's why I'm really, really hoping they get someone who has the acting ability to kick @$$. The appearance of the person (to me) is less important. Modifying how someone appears on screen is an easier task than laying down an outstanding performance.

My two bits.

#944 InCali, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  20. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

21. Harry Dresden Registered

I can't believe this discussion is still going.

Make up and hair stylists exist, people do realize this correct?

22. Whiskey Tango Registered

She came off as pretty friendly in The Adjustment Bureau.

23. ctriis Registered

Sackhoff and Blunt would be my first two picks, way ahead of anyones else. If they want to go with a younger actress to potentially have many future appearances I'd go with someone like Brie Larson or Margot Robbie (less likely though, as she's now part of the DC universe).

24. Harry Dresden Registered

Pike, Blunt, or Schilling

25. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I had forgotten about that movie and really liked it. Does anyone know why I don't have it on blu-ray? Alzheimer's?? General senility?? While I think it shows part of her range as an actor, it don't think it really highlights the particular skill set she would bring to this character.

I've sort of made this thread an Emily Blunt Defense League/Love Fest and that shouldn't be the case so I'll sign off for awhile.

Let's just hope the movie rocks no matter who those that know more than we do about casting decide on.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.