Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She won't be 39, she'll be 43 when it starts. And yeah I really do feel that's too old considering I want this character to be around for several more films afterwards. I'd say 28-32 would be the age range I looked at.

Again...How old was RDJ when he started his franchise?

It's not the same..

Perhaps you can explain why? Cuz... It aint the costume. Carol is NOT going to be wearing the stripper suit that rides up the crack of her butt cheeks. Carol doesn't have to be in 25 year old shape to be Captain Marvel. So... What's the reasoning again?

Tony was a middle aged man in the comics, so Robert Downey was the appropriate age for him when he was cast.
Carol was obviously younger than Tony in the comics.
I don't want a Ms Marvel in her 40s.. sorry not interested in that. I'd rather have Emily blunt play Carol. (she's 31)

x1A6vG5.jpg

Came back to suggest Elizabeth Banks but discovered she's a year older than Theron. At the decrepit age of 40 the only role she'll be good for is the Crypt Keeper!

KVx7KPv.gif

Tony was a middle aged man in the comics, so Robert Downey was the appropriate age for him when he was cast.
I don't want a Ms Marvel in her 40s.. sorry not interested in that. I'd rather have Emily blunt play Carol. (she's 31)

Nope, not buying it.

Carol would still be younger than Tony. When he started being Iron Man RDJ was 43 in 2008. He and the characters have aged so if Carol would be around that age turning into Captain Marvel now, well, she'd still be younger than Tony currently is. And again... MAJOR in THE US AIR FORCE. So... Not a 25-30 year old.

Carol would still be younger than Tony. When he started being Iron Man RDJ was 43 in 2008. He and the characters have aged so if Carol would be around that age turning into Captain Marvel now, well, she'd still be younger than Tony currently is. And again... MAJOR in THE US AIR FORCE. So... Not a 25-30 year old.
What about everybody else in the MCU? almost everyone in the MCU was like 26-30 when they were first cast, why would Carol be the exception? Marvel sign Blunt up NOW!

What about everybody else in the MCU? almost everyone in the MCU was like 26-30 when they were first cast, why would Carol be the exception? Marvel sign Blunt up NOW!

Okay... That's not a reason though not to cast. That's just pointing out that the heroes so far cast have been that way... Oh wait.... Boseman is 37 and will be 38-39 when they start filming his solo, and Renner was 40 when he was cast as Hawkeye, Cheadle was 45 when he was cast, Ruffalo was 43... Again harry... What's the reasoning here? Where is the hard and fast rule (that apparently has already been broken) that says Carol has to be closer to 30 than she is to 40? Is it because Carol is a female character? Cuz it seems that's the only salient factor. In truth the majority of the MCU main cast were not 26-30.

Last edited:
Majors are usually in their early 30's, for the record. But Carol's done other stuff, too, so mid-to-late 30's would be the ideal age to me. 40-43 is certainly not out of the question, but I feel like anyone older than that would be pushing it in terms of long-term prospects. Captain Marvel's a pretty physical character who wouldn't be completely replaced by a CGI-double (ala Hulk or Iron Man) for all of her action stuff, so age would be a slightly bigger factor for her, like it was with Thor and Cap. That said, just like 45 would probably be too old, I feel like anything below 30 would probably be too young. Again, it usually takes people at least 10 years to reach the rank of Major, and I want Carol to be believable as the experienced career woman she is.

Last edited:
Majors are usually in their early 30's, for the record. But Carol's done other stuff, too, so mid-to-late 30's would be the ideal age to me. 40-43 is certainly not out of the question, but I feel like anyone older than that would be pushing it in terms of long-term prospects. Captain Marvel's a pretty physical character who wouldn't be completely replaced by a CGI-double (ala Hulk or Iron Man) for all of her action stuff.

For a lot stuff though it would be SFX supporting the actors performance and the really big stuff, Carol lifting a tank or what have you would be using a CGI double.

For a lot stuff though it would be SFX supporting the actors performance and the really big stuff, Carol lifting a tank or what have you would be using a CGI double.
That's why I said not "completely." She still deals in a lot of hand-to-hand combat, flight on wires (which takes A LOT of body strength to sell believably) and other basic action hero stuff that wouldn't be digital double shots. And unless they use a complete helmet for her costume, they're gonna want to refrain from using a CGI double whenever possible because we can see her face. Physically, I'd say the role is most comparable to Thor (though she's obviously not gonna be bulking up as much as Hemsworth), which is still quite physically-demanding compared to what RDJ and Ruffalo have to do.

Okay... That's not a reason though not to cast. That's just pointing out that the heroes so far cast have been that way... Oh wait.... Boseman is 37 and will be 38-39 when they start filming his solo, and Renner was 40 when he was cast as Hawkeye, Cheadle was 45 when he was cast, Ruffalo was 43... Again harry... What's the reasoning here? Where is the hard and fast rule (that apparently has already been broken) that says Carol has to be closer to 30 than she is to 40? Is it because Carol is a female character? Cuz it seems that's the only salient factor. In truth the majority of the MCU main cast were not 26-30.
Most of those characters were already middle aged in the comics anyways. Carol wasn't in her 40s in the comics.

That's why I said not "completely." She still deals in a lot of hand-to-hand combat, flight on wires (which takes A LOT of body strength to sell believably) and other basic action hero stuff that wouldn't be digital double shots. And unless they use a complete helmet for her costume, they're gonna want to refrain from using a CGI double whenever possible because we can see her face. Physically, I'd say the role is most comparable to Thor (though she's obviously not gonna be bulking up as much as Hemsworth), which is still quite physically-demanding compared to what RDJ and Ruffalo have to do.

I think there'd be a smaller amount of hand to hand, especially once she gets her powers. No need for a long drawn out fist fight when she could throw a stellar blast their way. And as for use of doubles, look at the BTS AOU and all the use of them Scarjo has. I'm sure there's a bit of digital masking going on there with her too, so it's not that big of a consideration. And the use of wire work for flight SFX while still used is no where what it was. If you look at the MOS behind the scenes, lots of Cavill was done laying down in studio, though there was also some wire usage, true. Let me put it this way... Theron or an actress in that ballpark is still better than the actors on the darkside of their 50's or early sixties that keep getting brought up for Deathstroke. She's in pretty good physical condition.

Again...How old was RDJ when he started his franchise?

Why are you asking me a question you know the answer to? If you have a point to make you could just state in yourself. But I'll play along.

42 or 43 I believe. But you say that like casting for all characters is exactly the same.

Last edited:
Most of those characters were middle aged in the comics anyways. Carol wasn't in her 40s in the comics.

How do you know this tell me where the age of Hawkeye when he started was ever stated? And why are you now using this line of thought when you stated that the MCU cast was all 26-30 year olds when they were cast, something that was clearly wrong? Carol's career in the comics is not one of a 26 year old. We are talking enlistment, officer training, rising up from junior grade, then add in some experience in intelligence... Why is late 30's/ very early forties a deal breaker exactly?

Last edited:
Why are you asking me a question you know the answer to? If you have a point to make you could just state in yourself. But I'll play along.

42 I believe. But you say that like casting for all characters is exactly the same.

I'm saying that if RDJ can start on playing Tony at the decrepit age of 42 then what exactly is the problem with a Carol starting at the same age? She's still going to be younger than Tony and the others when she premieres so that reasoning holds no water. Most all of the other main players in the MCU were all a similar age (Hemmsworth, Evans, Smulders and Scrajo the exceptions) so it's not actually bucking the trend established so there goes that reasoning. No one has yet to state why an actress playing a modern Capt. Marvel/Carol Danvers has to be under the age of 33. So far the reasoning hasn't amounted to much but preference. Which is fine, just... Ya know... Admit that it's preference and not based on anything other than that.

I think there'd be a smaller amount of hand to hand, especially once she gets her powers. No need for a long drawn out fist fight when she could throw a stellar blast their way. And as for use of doubles, look at the BTS AOU and all the use of them Scarjo has. I'm sure there's a bit of digital masking going on there with her too, so it's not that big of a consideration. And the use of wire work for flight SFX while still used is no where what it was. If you look at the MOS behind the scenes, lots of Cavill was done laying down in studio, though there was also some wire usage, true. Let me put it this way... Theron or an actress in that ballpark is still better than the actors on the darkside of their 50's or early sixties that keep getting brought up for Deathstroke. She's in pretty good physical condition.
Carol doesn't depend on her blasts all the time because she has to absorb and store the energy to do so. She still engages in a lot of hand-to-hand combat in the comics, it's just with people more on her power level - not mere mortals. And you can bet the whole ScarJo thing is costing that production a TON of extra money and they wouldn't be doing it if they had a choice. But since it's the Avengers, they know they'll get that money back regardless. It's not standard, though, and it wouldn't be used on a project like this when they are first choosing their actress. They'll choose someone they DON'T have to spend that kind of extra money on.

And for the record, I'm not arguing against Theron. I'd be totally cool with her casting. I said in my first post you responded to that someone her age at the start (which would be 43) would be fine. I just said if they start OLDER than that, you're starting to cross that age threshold for the reasons I mentioned (which wasn't just the physical demands of the role).

I'm saying that if RDJ can start on playing Tony at the decrepit age of 42 then what exactly is the problem with a Carol starting at the same age? She's still going to be younger than Tony and the others when she premieres so that reasoning holds no water. Most all of the other main players in the MCU were all a similar age (Hemmsworth, Evans, Smulders and Scrajo the exceptions) so it's not actually bucking the trend established so there goes that reasoning. No one has yet to state why an actress playing a modern Capt. Marvel/Carol Danvers has to be under the age of 33. So far the reasoning hasn't amounted to much but preference. Which is fine, just... Ya know... Admit that it's preference and not based on anything other than that.

I think I already did state it was my preference. I thought it would be acceptable to have a preference in a thread titled "Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel?". My bad. Yeah I have no interest in seeing Captain Marvel finally come to the big screen as a middle aged woman. None whatsoever.

On second though I just realized Anthony Hopkins was 73 when he was cast as Odin. So I'd like to suggest Ann Margret to play Carol Danvers.

Last edited:
How do you know this tell me where the age of Hawkeye when he started was ever stated? And why are you now using this line of thought when you stated that the MCU cast was all 26-30 year olds when they were cast, something that was clearly wrong? Carol's career in the comics is not one of a 26 year old. We are talking enlistment, officer training, rising up from junior grade, then add in some experience in intelligence... Why is late 30's/ very early forties a deal breaker exactly?
I guess it's because... I guess I just prefer a younger Ms Marvel :funny:

I think I already did state it was my preference. I thought it would be acceptable to have a preference in a thread titled "Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel?". My bad.

Anyway I just realized Anthony Hopkins was 73 when he was cast as Odin. So I'd like to suggest Ann Margret to play Carol Danvers.

Yep... Casting Theron at 39 years old is exactly like casting a woman that is 73. It's the exact thing. :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"