Days of Future Past Who should the focus be on in DOFP??

I'm not sure if I get your argument. You keep saying that the original cast appeals more to the general audience, and that going back to the old cast will make Fox more money, but then your line-up for X4 excludes Jean, Scott, Mystique, Magneto, Professor X - i.e. the five members of that original cast and some of the biggest characters that the general public would remember the best. No offence to them, but does the general audience really care all that much about Shawn Ashmore, Daniel Cudmore and Ben Foster? So basically apart from Jackman, Berry and Paquin, the cast will be either minor original characters or brand new untested characters. I'm not sure why that puts the franchise in a better position than FC series, which actually has a potential for bringing in fresh young faces to play characters like Jean and Scott.

Well just because Jean, Scott, Mystique, Magneto and Professor X are part of the original cast, it doesn't mean I want all of them to come back for X4. Three of them were already killed in X3 and two of them were depowered and from the Brotherhood. So I want them to move forward with new villains and new faces but still keep a couple of characters from the original trilogy.

With just Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry, I think the cast of X4 would be more marketable and appealing to the casual viewers compare to the whole cast of X-Men: First Class. And character-wise, Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, Colossus and Angel are more marketable and appealing compare to young Professor X, young Beast, young Magneto, young Mystique, Banshee, Havok and Emma Frost. And FOX could cast a huge or an Oscar award-winning actor for X-Men 4 and that would make the cast stronger. With the First Class sequel, even if they cast a huge or an Oscaraward winnig actor for a new role, I still don't think the movie would be huge at the box-office.

so this has become into "the idea that will bring more money is the best option"

If that's the point, there is no need to discussing anymore, you know.

so this has become into "the idea that will bring more money is the best option"

If that's the point, there is no need to discussing anymore, you know.

Well you have to remember that these movies has to sell because if not, they could just put any characters and movies they want. The Deadpool movie would be released by now if they aren't considering the box-office performance of the movie but they actually do. Like I said, Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen wouldn't return for this movie if it wasn't for The Avengers. The Avengers made a lot of money and now FOX wants to have that same level of success and they are even talks about the Fantastic Four reboot having a cross-over movie with X-Men.

Plus if the First Class sequels you are asking for didn't perform so well at the box-office, it would ruin this movie series, FOX might stop making more X-Men movies. Like X-Men First Class, it would be seen as a flop, the lowest grossing X-Men film yet and it would look like FOX aren't doing their best to get this franchise to reach its full potential.

These movies are not being made just to please fan-boys, they are being made to sell tickets and earn money.

Last edited:
I think DOFP will be the swan song for many actors of the original X-Mem trilogy. Some of these guys and girls are getting a lot older and some may want to take their careers in a a different direction.

DOFP might just be the antidote they need to come in do something fun and create something classic, that will bring excitement and pleasure to both the general audience and fans. But this doesn't mean they in for the long haul.

Some might say Halle needs the X-Men franchise for her career, she might feel like she doesn't.

If they do X4 I say just allow whoever wants to return to do so, and leave out who ever doesn't. There are tons of X-Men characters to build franchises around, we don't need to do Jean, Cyclops and Storm.

And if they do move forward with both FC2 and X4, they definitly can make it work. I don't think the FC series will be limited to the 60's. the sequels could be set in 80's and 90's which I think is more or less the golden age of the X-Men anyway.

X4 could go a whole new route and maybe come with something that's akin to X-Force, with a team that would feature some firmiliar faces from the OT and some new ones as well. While XFC could go with young Cyclops, Jean and Storm joining the team. But it wouldn't make sense to have the same characters be the focus in two films, that would take place at two different films. That's why those characters should only be used in one of those films.

But after DOFP I think a XFC 2 will get greenlit before x4 for the simple reason being, that Fassbender and Lawrence are real hot properties! Before this whole DOFP, XFC2 was greenlit, and the only reason it was pushed back, was to accommodate Lawerence so that she could film Catching Fire, so I highly doubt that Fox would let her go!!

And if they do move forward with both FC2 and X4, they definitly can make it work. I don't think the FC series will be limited to the 60's. the sequels could be set in 80's and 90's which I think is more or less the golden age of the X-Men anyway.

Glad to see someone see the big deal too.

And agree about most of your points, if not all. If they do X4, it could be the last sequel where Wolverine and Storm appears, and then continue the present timeline with the younger actors from X1-X3 and some new faces, and as you say, they could connect it with a possible X-factor or whatever team movie they want next.

Sooo, in the hypotetical case Storm and Wolverine appear in X4, the third part of FC could still focus on Beast, Havok, Banshee and adding Polaris and Sunfire as some fans have suggested. And in a possible fourth movie, young Storm could be introduced finally, the same as Scott and Jean.

The only character that would repeat on FC3 and X4 would be Beast, but its not a big deal after all. Just one x-men. The rest would be totally different from FC.

Its a smart plan. both movies could get a pretty decent profit, without the need to get the billion mark. That isnt needed. 500$ millions for each movie would be pretty fine for the x-men franchise. And they could even make more, so again.... WHAT's the real problem???? Lol

:hrt:

Since this a sequel to First Class, I'm assuming the primary focus will be on that cast. That's not say the original cast won't get plenty of screen time though.

Well, perhaps they could use SOME of the original trilogy characters to bring in mainstream interest and provide support for the newer, unfamiliar characters.

Of all the First Class characters, I'm interested in Magneto, Emma Frost, Havok, Banshee and Xavier.

I don't know how on earth they are going to make Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique grow into Rebecca's version; it's going to need several films to make that transition from insecurity to being a cold, hard, kick-ass reptile. And I don't think they will ever give us the luxury of several films focusing on the First Class cast.

While I would like to see the First Class series give us young versions of Scott, Jean and Storm and the introduction of Polaris, I don't know if they will bother with that.

Of all the First Class characters, I'm interested in Magneto, Emma Frost, Havok, Banshee and Xavier.

Emma, Havok and Banshee are mines.

and after them, I'd add Xavier, Moira, Mystique and Beast.

Well, perhaps they could use SOME of the original trilogy characters to bring in mainstream interest and provide support for the newer, unfamiliar characters.

I don't know how on earth they are going to make Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique grow into Rebecca's version; it's going to need several films to make that transition from insecurity to being a cold, hard, kick-ass reptile. And I don't think they will ever give us the luxury of several films focusing on the First Class cast.

While I would like to see the First Class series give us young versions of Scott, Jean and Storm and the introduction of Polaris, I don't know if they will bother with that.

Well if we look at the comics we do know that Mystique and Azazel got togehter, since there son is Nightcrawler. We all saw how badass Azazel is, so essentially he could act as her protector/trainer but they soon find themselves falling inlove :atp: (the Morantic ish) or Mystique could just be using him, kind of the first real sign of her losing her innocence and becoming corrupt.

But maybe Mystique's development, doesn't develop at the rate Magneto was hoping for. So they take her to Sinister to to accelerate the process. But Mister Sinister has his own plans.

I think something like this could work, as you can include the Marauders (Gambit, Sabretooth, Sunfire, Lady Mastermind) as Sinisters own hired assassins. Mystique would join this crew

So essentially the Brotherhood of Mutants could be seen as the protagonist alongside the X-Men as they face off against Sinister and his Marauders.

And if they play the story right, they could even spin-off the Marauders into its own film before they bring it back to the FC franchise, where Gambit and Sunfire choose to go with the X-Men while Mystique and Sabretooth join the Brotherhood. Or something like that.

Well if we look at the comics we do know that Mystique and Azazel got togehter, since there son is Nightcrawler. We all saw how badass Azazel is, so essentially he could act as her protector/trainer but they soon find themselves falling inlove :atp: (the Morantic ish) or Mystique could just be using him, kind of the first real sign of her losing her innocence and becoming corrupt.

But maybe Mystique's development, doesn't develop at the rate Magneto was hoping for. So they take her to Sinister to to accelerate the process. But Mister Sinister has his own plans.

I think something like this could work, as you can include the Marauders (Gambit, Sabretooth, Sunfire, Lady Mastermind) as Sinisters own hired assassins. Mystique would join this crew

So essentially the Brotherhood of Mutants could be seen as the protagonist alongside the X-Men as they face off against Sinister and his Marauders.

And if they play the story right, they could even spin-off the Marauders into its own film before they bring it back to the FC franchise, where Gambit and Sunfire choose to go with the X-Men while Mystique and Sabretooth join the Brotherhood. Or something like that.

In principle, that sounds fine, although the movies tend to be more thematic, story-driven and cinematic, and less soapy. But those are good starting points for possible plot points to get into a film. It's about time we saw Sinister, and reintroducing Gambit and Sabretooth and bringing in Sunfire, are all good things.

I'm hoping we see much less of Azazel, tbh.

If they do touch upon Azazel and Mystique being Nightcrawler's parents, I hope it's just hinted at, much less spent precious movie running time on. As much as I loved Nightcrawler in X2, I don't see them bringing him back to the fold.

A further thought...

I thought the way Xavier recruited the mutants (in the 1975 Second Genesis tale) was excellent, and better than what we got on screen. He astrally projected himself around the world, finding the best team possible to take on Krakoa and rescue the original team. It gave a great sense of international scale, and allowed us to see Storm in her native Africa, Thunderbird bringing down a bison, Nightcrawler escaping a lynch mob, Colossus saving his sister from a runaway tractor on his farm in Siberia. Very cinematic stuff.

Also, Jean Grey's backstory in the comics is better, as she tries to save her dying friend after a car crash.

Probably too late now, but it would be so good to see some of that on screen.

The second Genesis is also how I want the "heavy hitters" like Scott, Jean and Storm to be brought on the team. They can have it so Alex, Sean (and maybe) Beast are out of commission, taken by the enemy and Scott, Jean and Storm are recruited by Xavier to rescue the "First Class" team.

The second Genesis is also how I want the "heavy hitters" like Scott, Jean and Storm to be brought on the team. They can have it so Alex, Sean (and maybe) Beast are out of commission, taken by the enemy and Scott, Jean and Storm are recruited by Xavier to rescue the "First Class" team.

Love this idea. it would be a great nod to the second genesis from the comics

Its a smart plan. both movies could get a pretty decent profit, without the need to get the billion mark. That isnt needed. 500$ millions for each movie would be pretty fine for the x-men franchise. And they could even make more, so again.... WHAT's the real problem???? Lol

:hrt:

X-Men: First Class didn't even reach the 400 million mark. You are being way optimistic. The only way I can see these First Class movies getting a decent profit, is if they lower down the budget ($50 million to $100 million) which is not going to happen.

X-Men: First Class didn't even reach the 400 million mark. You are being way optimistic. The only way I can see these First Class movies getting a decent profit, is if they lower down the budget ($50 million to $100 million) which is not going to happen.

Yeah but FC came after two bad X-Men films. People were getting tired on spending money on crap. The promotional material for FC wasn't that great either, and it was the first X film with an all new cast, so that didn't help either.

If anything FC revitalized the X-Men franchise, moving forward it will definitly do better. As most film sequels do. It's a rare for a sequel to do less then its predecessor.

And with DOFP as potentially being passing the torch somewhat, fans of the OT that may have not watched FC might decide to go back and watch it. And give FC2 a chance. Besides I'm sure Vaughn and Singer will try and ramp the action and refresh the story so that it doesn't get repetitive.

I think FC2 will be very profitable, if DOFP is done to perfection.

Just a random question...

When they got Alex out of prison or really any part in the film, did they refer to him as Mr. Summers or Alex Summers ever? Or did they just call him Alex/Havok throughout the movie?

Moving forward it will definitly do better .

Yes thats why I think they should be done setting the movies in the past. They need to move forward and stop showing events that happened before X1. Someone in this thread already said that every X-Men movie cannot be a period piece. That this movie series will not thrive by living in the past. Plus the other FOX movies such as The Wolverine and Fantastic Four reboot will be set in the present or the future. So I don't see why FOX should keep making X-Men movies that are set in the past other than to please fan-boys because they want to see more adventures from the 60s X-Men.

Just a random question...

When they got Alex out of prison or really any part in the film, did they refer to him as Mr. Summers or Alex Summers ever? Or did they just call him Alex/Havok throughout the movie?

Yes he was refered to as Alex Summers In the prison.

I agree with this idea.

Do you think they will proceed with a further First Class movie after DoFP, in which the above scenario might happen? Let's see Storm in her native Kenya, for heaven's sake!

And I wonder if we'll ever get Polaris and Dazzler added? Do they belong to the First Class series or the future series?

I am very doubtful we will see Thunderbird (who's only story arc is to die, not a very positive representation of native Americans!) or Sunfire (too similar to Human Torch, who we will be seeing again in Fox's Fantastic Four reboot).

And I wonder if we'll ever get Polaris and Dazzler added? Do they belong to the First Class series or the future series?

I think Polaris and Dazzler would fit more to the First Class series. Polaris is Havok's love interest in the comics and a lot of people here wants to see Havok/Polaris as a love team in the movie. According to one of the writers of First Class, they considered including Dazzler in the movie and I think if they are gonna do a movie set in the 70s or the 80s, Dazzler would be very fitting because she's a disco singer and disco was very popular in the 70s and early 80s.

Dont you take into account that FC is the very first movie? :huh:

it seems you dont really take into account all the factors that influence a sequel boxoffice.

too optimistic would be to expect 800 millions. but to expect 500 millions 3 years later than the original movie, with tickets prize increase, the GREAT critics of FC, the cast getting more fame, and the hype for the sequel...

I mean... do you really think 500 millions is a hard achieve in the industry current state?

You are underestimating the potential of FC. honestly.

Batman begins wasnt a big success, and take a look at its sequel. X1 wasnt a big success, take a look at the results of X2. Its a pattern. A great first comicbook movie will lead to a better sequel money wise.

So why to be negative? Its pointless, with all the respect, psylock.

Last edited:
I think Polaris and Dazzler would fit more to the First Class series. Polaris is Havok's love interest in the comics and a lot of people here wants to see Havok/Polaris as a love team in the movie. According to one of the writers of First Class, they considered including Dazzler in the movie and I think if they are gonna do a movie set in the 70s or the 80s, Dazzler would be very fitting because she's a disco singer and disco was very popular in the 70s and early 80s.

Polaris might be a good option for the 60s team in DoFP. Through her perception of the earth's magnetic fields, and any disruptions to it, she could help track down Magneto and would also be able to track and anticipate Azazel's teleportation (as Magneto did when he first encountered Nightcrawler in the comics). They could make her powers more visible, such as energy bolts.

The only problem would be the similarity to Magneto - and there will already be two versions of Magneto in the film.

Dont you take into account that FC is the very first movie? :huh: it seems you dont really take into account all the factors than influence a sequel boxoffice. too optimistic would be to expect 800 millions. but to expect 500 millions 3 years later than the original movie, with tickets prize increase, the GREAT critics of FC, the cast getting more fame, and the hype for the sequel...

I mean... do you really think 500 millions is a hard achieve in the industry current state? You are underestimating the potential of FC. honestly.

Batman begins wasnt a big success, and take a look at its sequel. X1 wasnt a big success, take a look at the results of X2. Its a pattern. A great first comicbook movie will lead to a better sequel money wise. So why to be negative? Its pointless, with all the respect, psylock.

No its not the first movie, its the fifth movie in the X-Men series even if its a prequel or a spin-off. And compare to Batman Begins, this isn't a reboot but a prequel. And these days, its not easy to achieve 200 million at the domestic box-office. Even though there are couple of big movies this year, so far only 10 movies has yet to surpass the 200 million mark and last year, there were only 7 movies.

There's a possibility for Days of Future Past being huge because of the original cast appearing in the movie. It would probably earn at least 200 million at the domestic box-office and 500 million at the worldwide box-office. But if they decided to make another First Class movie after this one without the cast from the original trilogy, FOX would lose the momentum. Casual viewers are more interested with the original cast/present timeline/X4 thats why I think after this movie, they should move forward with the original cast instead of making another X-Men movie that will showcase events/happenings that already happened in the past. And I'm not being negative and being pointless, I'm just being realistic and I have valid reasons for the things that I'm posting.

Polaris might be a good option for the 60s team in DoFP. Through her perception of the earth's magnetic fields, and any disruptions to it, she could help track down Magneto and would also be able to track and anticipate Azazel's teleportation (as Magneto did when he first encountered Nightcrawler in the comics). They could make her powers more visible, such as energy bolts.

The only problem would be the similarity to Magneto - and there will already be two versions of Magneto in the film.

I don't think they will include Polaris in DOFP but incase they make another First Class. I imagine they would include Polaris in the cast as a love interest for Havok. And I don't think the similarity to Magneto's power would be hinder her chances being in the movie. Just look at Professor X and Emma Frost. They just have to make her powers look a little different. According to her Wikipedia page, her current powers are:
Celestial technology restored her x-gene after M-Day giving her the ability to manipulate electromagnetic energies, waves, and fields allowing flight, force-fields, concussive blasts and the manipulation of ferrous metals.

They could give her force fields and concussive blasts and I don't think Magneto already showcased those in the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"