The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Who would be the best MJ? - Part 1

With the recent news that Woodly is out, and Gadon annoucning that she is not MJ, this leaves a big question...

Who will be MJ?

So I started thinking that maybe we could start posting who we think would fit this role. Which actress out there is a good enough actress to engage us, and yet (I hate to use this term) hot enough to be the iconic MJ that many of us are hoping for?

This is not an easy one. Whoever it ends up being will need to be someone that the average fan would like to see Peter end up with after Gwen kicks it...

So lets hear it. Maybe Webb & Co. will take a look here and find someone that they will like. And if you want to add a picture to back up your choice, please do...

Yeah..,kill Gwen just to put Peter with MJ... :doh:

If Sony plays their cards right and casts MJ properly and writes her as a very likable character (who is also different from Gwen), then I think that killing Gwen is a good move. Gwen's death is an iconic part of Spider-Man's history (as well as all of comic book history, to be honest), and I think it's good that they're covering it in these movies. Seems to me that people are legit sad that Gwen is goner in this movie, which is a good thing! That means that people care, and Sony is getting the reactions they want!

Heck, they might not even have MJ in the sequels. They might introduce Black Cat (which is a character I've never liked, but I know a lot of people do like her) just to separate themselves from the Raimi movies? That, or they might take Spider-Man to a different route by not giving him another romantic interest? We shall see. At the very least, based what I've heard about how the movie's going to end, it seems that the ending is open-ended, but there's closure too. Worst-case scenario is that you don't like the other films, but you have a good, solid story with the first two films?

I'll be disappointed if MJ doesn't at least have a big impact in TASM3, which I think should be about him coming to terms with what happened and learning to move on and grow close to people again, and that's pretty much exactly MJ's role in the comics shortly after Gwen's death. I just the story arc of him dealing with Gwen's death would quite likely come off as unfinished without MJ playing some sort of major role.

Last edited:
Going to be hard to beat Emma Stone in the likeability front, just saying

Just a funny little fact, there is still one shot of Woodley left in the finished film!

Does anyone know the answer?

Was Shaelene's scene, where she is a waitress and sees a car fall on another car, caused (I assume) by Rhino, in the movie?

If so, was she listed in the credits?

If so, was it:

Shaelene Woodley..................... Waitress

Someone?

Anyone?

Going to be hard to beat Emma Stone in the likeability front, just saying

Not really, because it's a different kind of likeability. MJ shouldn't have cutesy scenes like covering her mouth after saying Peter's name. Mary jane is the Han to Gwen's Luke. I think not having them interact is a missed opportunity.

Does anyone know the answer?

Was Shaelene's scene, where she is a waitress and sees a car fall on another car, caused (I assume) by Rhino, in the movie?

If so, was she listed in the credits?

If so, was it:

Shaelene Woodley..................... Waitress

Someone?

Anyone?

The scene was in there but it was a different angle. You don't see Shailene as MJ in it.

I thought we saw her back in one shot? It was the one in the trailers but it cuts away quicker.

Not really, because it's a different kind of likeability. MJ shouldn't have cutesy scenes like covering her mouth after saying Peter's name. Mary jane is the Han to Gwen's Luke. I think not having them interact is a missed opportunity.

Considering that the characters are foils for one another, IMO it was a missed opportunity there...

However, Emma Stone and the Gwen/Peter relationship dynamic is largely considered to be one of the best aspects of the reboot by film critics and fans alike. In the comics, the characters existed together and were their own separate entities with each bringing something different/unique to the mix, and they shouldn't be compared. However, the way things are being set up in this franchise, MJ would almost certainly be viewed as Emma/Gwen's successor. Without a doubt, there will be comparisons. With Emma being one of the most beloved young actresses of the current generation, their chemistry being one of the most praised aspects of the reboot, and expectations being bolstered so high on the relationship front, it'll be difficult for anyone to measure up.

It almost reminds me of the writers trying to introduce Carlie Cooper as Peter's next girl after OMD. I suppose familiarity amongst the GA could work in MJ's favor. Then again, most think of the Raimi's MJ, and that version also gets a lot of criticism and is compared unfavorably to Webb's Gwen.

Last edited:
If Sony plays their cards right and casts MJ properly and writes her as a very likable character (who is also different from Gwen), then I think that killing Gwen is a good move. Gwen's death is an iconic part of Spider-Man's history (as well as all of comic book history, to be honest), and I think it's good that they're covering it in these movies. Seems to me that people are legit sad that Gwen is goner in this movie, which is a good thing! That means that people care, and Sony is getting the reactions they want!

Heck, they might not even have MJ in the sequels. They might introduce Black Cat (which is a character I've never liked, but I know a lot of people do like her) just to separate themselves from the Raimi movies? That, or they might take Spider-Man to a different route by not giving him another romantic interest? We shall see. At the very least, based what I've heard about how the movie's going to end, it seems that the ending is open-ended, but there's closure too. Worst-case scenario is that you don't like the other films, but you have a good, solid story with the first two films?

I meaned the comics not the movie,but you have a lot of good points.

The way the next movie is shaping up, might not be enough time for Peter to have a romantic life.
Potentially 6 villains are going to be there.

I can only see him with Black Cat (if she's in it) to be honest.

t almost reminds me of the writers trying to introduce Carlie Cooper as Peter's next girl after OMD.
Carlie was doomed by the much different outcome of OMD and by having too many creators writing her.

Don't expect a new love interest soon.
Do you have insider information?

Right, but as I've said before they can bring in MJ as nothing more than a potential friend and bring in the Black Cat, not as a romance (it's way too soon for that), but as a flirtatious thing. She'd be doing the flirting, innappropriate stuff, while Peter would be acting against it, so he would not come off like a dirtbag. Plus this would only be while he is in costume, which would be a very different dynamic.

Seeing Black Cat flirting and Peter being all off guard and taken back would be a lot of fun and it would ultimately help the GA transition to the 4th movie where hopefully they would be inching towards Peter and MJ becoming more than just friends.

It would be so great to see the Black Cat passed out after helping Peter defeat one of the Sinister Six, Peter having to give mouth to mouth, and then him lift his head and say "Since that was your tongue in my mouth I'll take it that you;re ok?"...

This is really the only way I could see Peter have some semblance of a "relationship" in TASM3.

Right, but as I've said before they can bring in MJ as nothing more than a potential friend and bring in the Black Cat, not as a romance (it's way too soon for that), but as a flirtatious thing. She'd be doing the flirting, innappropriate stuff, while Peter would be acting against it, so he would not come off like a dirtbag. Plus this would only be while he is in costume, which would be a very different dynamic.

Seeing Black Cat flirting and Peter being all off guard and taken back would be a lot of fun and it would ultimately help the GA transition to the 4th movie where hopefully they would be inching towards Peter and MJ becoming more than just friends.

It would be so great to see the Black Cat passed out after helping Peter defeat one of the Sinister Six, Peter having to give mouth to mouth, and then him lift his head and say "Since that was your tongue in my mouth I'll take it that you;re ok?"...

This is really the only way I could see Peter have some semblance of a "relationship" in TASM3.

That's what i'm talking about, incredible post Super Jim :up::up::up:

Carlie was doomed by the much different outcome of OMD and by having too many creators writing her.

Yes that's true. The character was plagued by a lack of focus and being pulled in too many different directions, but IMO she was doomed from the start. They introduced her at the tail end of a story that ended the relationship between the main character and a long established/developed fan favorite female supporting character. Carlie was a complete afterthought thrown into the mix as just another love interest for Peter Parker. Perhaps if they had taken a page out of Conway's book and used a previously established character instead of shoehorning a new girl into the mix, it could have worked. But who am I kidding? I'm glad they didn't. If anything the way that JMS handled OMD further cemented MJ as the girl for Peter.

With regards to MJ in this franchise, with the things that have been said and done by Webb & Co. , I definitely do not see a romance anytime soon. I'd be surprised if she had any type of significance with everything else that they are trying to accomplish. One of the largest criticisms of TASM2 is the amount that it has going on and I'm sure Sony is already aware of that. Besides, considering the amount of praise that Emma's Gwen had gotten, I expect her to be featured as much as possible in TASM3 [BLACKOUT]despite her death[/BLACKOUT]. Also, we already know that [BLACKOUT]Felicia is being introduced/set up in TASM2 instead of MJ. So it's more likely that that character relationship/fling will be further explored in the next one.[/BLACKOUT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"