The Amazing Spider-Man Reboot composer? - Part 1

The only thing I think it lacked was the humable theme tune.

I could have done without the vocals. HIIIII-YA! really takes me out of Ben's Death :o

I liked Horner's score. I don't think I'd call it more subtle and nuanced than Elfman's work though. I think Elfman's took a way more subtle approach, whereas both Webb and Horner were very deliberate about giving Spidey that very overt, hummable superhero theme.

My issue with it is that theme kind of feels a bit forced into the movie, mostly because I don't think Spider-Man really earns that uber heroic theme by the film's end.

I think it's an interesting contrast though, to have a more modern reboot but with a more retro sounding heroic theme.

Overall, still prefer Elfman. But I'm excited for what Horner will bring to the sequel.

My problem with Horner's score was during the action scenes. It didn't thrill me and many times it sounded weird to me. The best parts were definitely the more emotional ones, such as Rooftop Kiss. I love that one!

Yeah, I agree, the action cues felt a bit awkward to me too.

What I'll say is, when I think of Raimi's Spider-Man theme, it actually compliments the sensation of web-slinging. It has really strong dynamics. Horner's theme, while good, could honestly be a Superman theme. I can imagine him flying to that tune. It feels like a great superhero theme, but not necessarily a great Spider-Man theme. I still like it though. And I agree that the softer, emotional beats fit the movie and character like a glove.

I liked Horner's score. I don't think I'd call it more subtle and nuanced than Elfman's work though. I think Elfman's took a way more subtle approach, whereas both Webb and Horner were very deliberate about giving Spidey that very overt, hummable superhero theme.

My issue with it is that theme kind of feels a bit forced into the movie, mostly because I don't think Spider-Man really earns that uber heroic theme by the film's end.

I think it's an interesting contrast though, to have a more modern reboot but with a more retro sounding heroic theme.

Overall, still prefer Elfman. But I'm excited for what Horner will bring to the sequel.

:up:

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR AN ACTION/ADVENTURE/THRILLER FILM
  • THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, music by James Horner
  • DANS LA MAISON, music by Philippe Rombi
  • THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, music by Hans Zimmer
  • SKYFALL, music by Thomas Newman
  • ZERO DARK THIRTY, music by Alexandre Desplat

Well the IFMCA winners were announced today. And looks like Mr. Horner's TAS-M lost to Thomas Newman's Skyfall. Just like I figured. At least Zimmer's TDKR didn't win either.

http://filmmusiccritics.org/2013/02/ifmca-winners-2012/

Why does it matter of Zimmer's TDKR had won? Are you really that ******** over the scores? Or are you a troll? Or just plain dense? I can't tell.

You're the one who seems to be bothered everytime I say something negative about any of Zimmer's batman scores. You always feel the need to respond with a smug comment, but I'll answer your question. It's b/c I don't think the score deserves to be nominated for anything. It was repetitive and mediocre score, imo. They could've easily replaced it with Silvestri's Avengers or another action score from last year, imo. I was just pointing out that I was relieved that Horner's TAS-M didn't lose to TDKR, b/c I believe Horner wrote the better score of the two. I know you love Zimmer's scores for the TDK trilogy. So I'll drop it.

Well, what exactly was the point of "Newman's Skyfall won, thankfully Zimmer's didn't." Like...there's no reason for you to say it.

Personally, I love the new Spider-Man score, I haven't bought a movie score CD since Jurassic Park. This Spidey score was well worth it, didn't care for the Danny Elfman stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"